• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holiday BOMBA: Playstation AllStars Charts 38th Week 1 UK

Dusky

So does the game deserve these kind of numbers? Is it bad? I mean if its actually good and fun to play I could see having a really long tail like SSB does.

I actually think it's pretty fun. Some matches can be pretty exciting, the "super" mechanic builds a lot of tension in a match, when and where your opponent is going to use it etc.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So does the game deserve these kind of numbers? Is it bad? I mean if its actually good and fun to play I could see having a really long tail like SSB does.

Same as most other Sony titles, give it time. They'll report a million or two shipped after re-releases, bundles, free giveaways, etc.

jRPG

Uhh... the PS3 has sold just fine here and the PS2 was monstrous in the UK.

The PSP broke sales records here too when it first launched (which I believe still hasn't been topped? Hell I'm pretty sure the PS3 is second on that list too). Vita software charted phenomenally well. It's sad to see the more fervent 'fans' trash a market, or dismiss it in such a way, when it's a market that has supported Sony so well, and undoubtedly one Sony is thankful for. I'll be interested to hear what those who are blaming the market will have to say about the success the likes of The Last Of Us and Beyond Souls will have in it next year.

Kurod

Banned

this was honestly the most unenjoyable fighting game I've ever played... I think I had more fun playing Time Killers

The game is awesome,we will see how it does overtime.

Haha oh GAF.

Personally, I enjoy it but it presents itself more like a Capcom fighter rather than a Smash bros game. It's fun competitively but pretty bare-bones in the single player content. You can unlock a bunch of things but they're mostly for personalizing your profile to show off online.

Did you even play it? Sorry its not warhawk 2.0, but if some people even bothered to give the game a day then maybe they could have seen how great it is.

I get some people don't dig the build and battle system, and its not that special in my eyes either but its unique, and the game is fun. That's all that matters to me.

Its a solid 8/10 at the very least, and I had a lot of fun with it. With clean servers and massive environments on a large scale to run around and play, its amazing.

No offense but just saying a game "sucks" seems really ignorant.

And they did cancel LBI's contract. I have no evidence but if it wasn't as clear enough with Dylan's drinking and the massive layoffs and the switch to iOS I don't know what is.
I bought it day 1, like all the other SCE 1st Party games.
I've always had a looooot of fun with SCE's games. Best 1st party games, this gen (imo).
But damn.... I could not finish Starhawk. I hated it :/

Holiday Bomba in the UK?

Exactly what holiday was celebrated here in the UK over the weekend?

I went to work on Thursday and didn't even think about it being Thanksgiving until I got home and saw Ashley on I'm a Celeb waving her little American flag in her Bikini, at which point i said "God Bless America".

As has already pointed out this is one of Sony's big titles for the Xmas holiday, people are Xmas shopping already, no one bought this, yes its a holiday bomba

Coxy

I didn't even realize that it debuted worse that Sonic Racing. That's an even greater accomplishment that a game with series that sell a lot more than the ones found in Sonic Racing did worse.

it's not surprising at all though, when it comes to crossover games like this, well loved characters from games that didnt sell well like Vyse from Skies of Arcadia will draw in far more people than characters from big franchises people have no or weak attachment to.

I don't see what's so great or iconic about the Hellgast design, as its completely inspired by / stolen from Jin-Roh, a 1999 anime.

The material Jin-Roh was a part of (the Kerberos saga) was actually created in 1986/87 and the design of the armour was hugely influenced by Nazi's and Stormtroopers. It wasn't a hugely original design.

But if you think that has anything to do with how iconic something is, you should probably go look up the definition of the word.

TheOddOne

It explains it, I guess.. but it doesn't make any fucking sense. Why would Microsoft let retailers do this? It's really fucking bad imo because people who are interested in racing games aren't going to buy Horizon for a while now..
Forza 4 is bundled with X360 in Europe, hell all the Forza games before it have. Horizon is just too new to be included in it I guess, I would not be suprised if next year it does show up in a bundle.

Dusky

I've always had a looooot of fun with SCE's games. Best 1st party games, this gen (imo).

Starhawk's SP was horrible. MP was decent although nowhere near as good as Warhawk's.

I doubt will see another entry again, would love to see another Warhawk though.

Gadirok

If you're talking about the single player campaign, that was an absolute abomination and the reason why this game had a 76ish on metacritic. I agree that it was bad, but I can't accept the fact that people think the multiplayer is bad at how it currently is as of this patch. If it had launched as a online only game like warhawk did, I expect it to atleast hurdled a 9/10.

And no I am not biasing or in denial. The online is that good. Massive environments where you can fly, drive, and walk with such detail? I can zoom into a tree with my shotgun and see textures in that. They put a lot of time into these environments and thats what gets me. Nobody ever takes notice in that.

I mean, especially the co-op prospector maps. Last week I made a server and just ran aimlessly into mountainy high areas of "Site 16" and there was so much stuff that surprised me. The devs only utitlize like 1/20th of that map in prospector. There was no reason to build that other area but it was created regardless. Especially when you only aim to protect the rift extractor, not many people will venture out into outer territories of each map, but I did, and that map had no use of hawks either.

A damn shame, maybe they just couldn't find the time to utilize the entire maps they made but the homeworlds and prospector maps like that always get to me. Should have released them to the online PvP as well, but they didn't and I will have no idea why.

Makes me think how many maps they must have created and never implemented into the game.

But its not just the maps, the gameplay is where its at, and with the exception of hawks they implemented everything in flawlessly.

personally I've seen a lot more advertising for this than LBPK. Certainly TV and PS blog is pushing this way more than LBPK.

Everyone obviously sees different programmes so different adverts, personally I've see precisely one advert for this but tonnes for lbpk

Important thing people seem to not notice since the argument has turned to "Smash Clone". Again.

The pricing on it was abominable. The price range on it was £45-55 in a lot of stores. Even Supermarkets. Meanwhile, Hitman and Lego LOTR were around £30-35 in most places as a week one deal (I think Sainsbury's even had Hitman for £25 on day 1). The cheapest is Amazon at £38. But people are going to turn their noses up at a game that's pretty light on content and costs a good chunk of their income when they can pick up two new releases for the same price in some stores.

Fix your goddamn stupid pricing, Sony and you might have less of a bomba.

If you're talking about the single player campaign, that was an absolute abomination and the reason why this game had a 76ish on metacritic. I agree that it was bad, but I can't accept the fact that people think the multiplayer is bad at how it currently is as of this patch. If it had launched as a online only game like warhawk did, I expect it to atleast hurdled a 9/10.

And no I am not biasing or in denial. The online is that good. Massive environments where you can fly, drive, and walk with such detail? I can zoom into a tree with my shotgun and see textures in that. They put a lot of time into these environments and thats what gets me. Nobody ever takes notice in that.

I mean, especially the co-op prospector maps. Last week I made a server and just ran aimlessly into mountainy high areas of "Site 16" and there was so much stuff that surprised me. The devs only utitlize like 1/20th of that map in prospector. There was no reason to build that other area but it was created regardless. Especially when you only aim to protect the rift extractor, not many people will venture out into outer territories of each map, but I did, and that map had no use of hawks either.

A damn shame, maybe they just couldn't find the time to utilize the entire maps they made but the homeworlds and prospector maps like that always get to me. Should have released them to the online PvP as well, but they didn't and I will have no idea why.

Makes me think how many maps they must have created and never implemented into the game.
Yeah, I've "tried" to play the single player campaign ... afterwards, I could not even touch the multiplayer.
Too bad! I'm a big "space opera / space sim" fan. I thought Starhawk would be SCE's new Colony Wars and not .... "something" like this :/

Haha oh GAF.

Personally, I enjoy it but it presents itself more like a Capcom fighter rather than a Smash bros game. It's fun competitively but pretty bare-bones in the single player content. You can unlock a bunch of things but they're mostly for personalizing your profile to show off online.

I know, right

Well I wanted to see the game to do well even if I don't pick it up for a while. The world needs more party oriented fighting games. Every time family comes over for any extended period of time SSB gets played and it would be nice to have a bit more variety than that.

mclem

As has already pointed out this is one of Sony's big titles for the Xmas holiday, people are Xmas shopping already, no one bought this, yes its a holiday bomba

While that's true, I would point out that there's no *rush* to buy stuff for Xmas now. Some folks might pick it up as soon as it's launched, of course, but others might wait until some time in December.

That said, I'm not convinced it'll have that big an impact at Christmas either, but I don't think we can take *this* as evidence that it's failing to sell for Christmas.

Kurod

Banned
Important thing people seem to not notice since the argument has turned to "Smash Clone". Again.

The pricing on it was abominable. The price range on it was £45-55 in a lot of stores. Even Supermarkets. Meanwhile, Hitman and Lego LOTR were around £30-35 in most places as a week one deal (I think Sainsbury's even had Hitman for £25 on day 1). The cheapest is Amazon at £38. But people are going to turn their noses up at a game that's pretty light on content and costs a good chunk of their income when they can pick up two new releases for the same price in some stores.

Sounds a bit like what Bumhead said.
Black Friday is nowhere near as huge here as it is in the US, but the likes of Amazon and several other online retailers do their bit with week long deals etc.

This time of year also seems to be hot territory for bargains. The UK games market has been enjoying quick fast BOMBA pricing for a while. Once the major £40 day one releases have been and gone, the market seems to kind of transition to a "paying no more than £17.99" atmosphere, almost like a race to the bottom to hammer those bargains out between late November and Christmas

Sony should have aimed to get this game out at the original release date and at a competitive price. That delay and price tag may have been what pushed sales down from underwhelming to horrible

Gadirok

Yeah, I've "tried" to play the single player campaign ... afterwards, I could not even touch the multiplayer.
Too bad! I'm a big "space opera / space sim" fan. I thought Starhawk would be SCE's new Colony Wars and not .... "something" like this :/

You should have gone into the multiplayer instead. And to make things easy, tried out ground pounder so you don't have to deal with the one sided A2G pilots.

I think one of the biggest flaws in this game was allowing the mech mode with hawk utilities, but at the same time, its incredible to use.

I think the main problem with hawks though is that compared to warhawk, the A2A and even A2G is simply not interesting and it does not provide a challenge. It seems like the same endless loop if you know what you are doing, and even with the numerous patches to remove OP weapons, I can safely say its heavily balanced now, but its just not as fun as getting into a sidewinder and going TPS, though still an incredible experience.

I stand by my point, Starhawk is still my Multiplayer GOTY.

You should have gone into the multiplayer instead. And to make things easy, tried out ground pounder so you don't have to deal with the one sided A2G pilots.

I think one of the biggest flaws in this game was allowing the mech mode with hawk utilities, but at the same time, its incredible to use.

I think the main problem with hawks though is that compared to warhawk, the A2A and even A2G is simply not interesting and it does not provide a challenge. It seems like the same endless loop if you know what you are doing, and even with the numerous patches to remove OP weapons, I can safely say its heavily balanced now, but its just not as fun as getting into a sidewinder and going TPS, though still an incredible experience.

I stand by my point, Starhawk is still my Multiplayer GOTY.

Game deserved to bomb. No one wanted a building block game, transforming hawks or some crap story. People just wanted Warhawk in space, like Star Wars/Death Star stuff. Not hard to do and they should have listened to the fans. I feel sad for the huge wasted opportunity. They could have added ground only mechs into the mix and the game would have been godly.

Gadirok

Game deserved to bomb. No one wanted a building block game, transforming hawks or some crap story. People just wanted Warhawk in space, like Star Wars/Death Star stuff. Not hard to do and they should have listened to the fans. I feel sad for the huge wasted opportunity. They could have added ground only mechs into the mix and the game would have been godly.

They did. Nobody bothered to play this past launch, because the last patch added a lot of stuff.

Grizzlys are okay, certainly not the mech I anticipated and hoped for but they are great for assault.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Still....

It explains it, I guess.. but it doesn't make any fucking sense. Why would Microsoft let retailers do this? It's really fucking bad imo because people who are interested in racing games aren't going to buy Horizon for a while now..

Forza 4 and Skyrim (DL code) are bundled with the 250GB (non Kinect) system worldwide I believe.

That said, both Forza 4 and Skyrim were sticking around on the charts for a long time before the bundle.

Jamie OD

The price difference is the same here in Ireland. So far the only price I found for the game is 60 euro while the other games you mentioned are in the 45-50 euro range, which has been a regular deal with new releases for a while now.

Obviously 90% of folks bought it on PSN.

In all seriousness, while I didn't expect this game to have 90+ on MC and sell like SSB, I did expect it to do better in both sales and reviews....

Not surprised. The game is as exciting as stale white bread.

people don't adore Sony mascots and they don't like what seems like a mediocre brawler

Yeah. The roster was pretty pathetic. It just shows you how much third parties attributed to the PlayStation's brand success.

Grim1ock

Banned
All the kids who grew up with iconic playstation characters are now in their adulthoods.

Here in the uk you can divide the HD gaming market into two The adults and the young teenage segment of the market. The former are all sony fans and the latter are all xbox fans.

The problem for sony is the market is haeavily geared for teenagers and young kids who usually buy the lionshare of the software in the UK

Floex

Sony doesn't do well in UK.

Well this is just a straight out lie

The reason this didn't sell? Because it's looked awful since day 1. For a 1st party franchise I cannot get over how bland the whole presentation is. Sony should have gone all out bonkers with this. It needed that Street Fighter IV cartoon-esq look to it and be as completely over the top as that game was.

Outside of the topic on here, no one was talking about it or particularly cared

Zia

Unsurprising. Participated in the beta for this and the LBP racer, and was shocked by how underbaked they were even then.

Sony needs to retool this concept-first development objective amongst its first and second-parties. They release so much stuff, with so little of it approaching the quality of the other platform holders' first-party efforts, and considering the wealth of talent they have in their stable, something is fundamentally rotten about that.

Top Bottom