• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holiday BOMBA: Playstation AllStars Charts 38th Week 1 UK

freddy

Banned
Sony really dropped the ball on building up some in house recognisable characters to push games like this with. They've had to close to 20 years now and most of the recognisable mascots are third party.

Carl

This definitely needed more TV ads. The hell is going on in Sony's advertising dept?

Haven't seen any ads for AllStars, but seen shit tons of Vita, LittleBigPlanet, Wonderbook, and PS3 adverts lately. So yeah i have no idea what you mean with that

gadwn

Yeah. The roster was pretty pathetic. It just shows you how much third parties attributed to the PlayStation's brand success.

As a Sony fan, that roster is awesome. I can't comprehend how it's common practice to shit all over Sonys ip's while Nintendo always get the upper hand. I couldn't care less about most of the roster in Smash bros, despite growing up with nintendo during the 80s and 90s, those characters just ain't that appealing to me. I can't be alone with this opinion.

Carl

As a Sony fan, that roster is awesome. I can't comprehend how it's common practice to shit all over Sonys ip's while Nintendo always get the upper hand. I couldn't care less about most of the roster in Smash bros, despite growing up with nintendo during the 80s and 90s, those characters just ain't that appealing to me. I can't be alone with this opinion.

Nope, i agree too. Grew up on NES and then moved on to an N64 and don't even know who half of the Smash characters are.

slit

So a non-nintendo doom thread for today?that's a first!On topic ,here in Greece the ads are non existence.where I work(biggest media markt) we have tons of ads for wonderbook(along with a couple of incoming events) and ads for FIFA/nfsmw/cod/ac for vita.only the hardcore Sony fans here in greece will buy the game.all they ask me is where is pes 13.tragic :/

There is a lot of Nintendo hate here, but let's be fair, the Sony doom threads aren't exactly in short supply either.

Noi

Given how the marketing for the game pre-release was such a flop, I can't say I'm surprised.

As a Sony fan, that roster is awesome.

As a Sony fan, I disagree. That's one of the game's problems: it's not targeting its entire possible fanbase.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I own this on Vita and PS3 (agentice, add me!) Anyways, I find it to be fun, if not for anything else, a diversion of time. The characters here that Sony presents shows that while all of these characters have been in some great games, either nostalgia hasn't taken root or it is simply the fact that the games that they appear in might be fantastic, but the general public doesn't really care about them as IPs. I got this simply because it was for both PS3 and Vita, if that were not the case, I likely would not have purchased it. There isn't anything here that has true lore nor am I attached to the characters as I am Nintendo characters. Novel attempt but the Playstation characters just simply don't have enough worth with the general public to see this game have mass appeal.

As a modern representation of Sony the roster does an excellent job, but I think everybody can agree that the lack of earlier PlayStation hits specifically Crash, Spyro, and some Final Fantasy character is kind of a bummer and oversight. I get it the license holders weren't willing to extend rights for this game, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing.

Sissel

I'll give you low budget presentation, but the graphics are nothing to scoff at. They're one of the few things the game has going for it. That and rock solid 60 fps.
To each his own I guess. I think the game looks like shit visually.

Hanmik

It´s not the roster that makes this game Bomb.. it´s the way they advertised this product.. They could have had Mario, Cloud, Snake or whatever in this game it wouldn´t matter.. the game needs alot more exposure than it has recieved.. the stupid reveal thing they did and the forum stuff does not get anyone to notice this game.... which is a shame, because the game is real good old fun..

I'll pick it up eventually for playing with my mates but I can't comprehend why they went with supers being the only way to kill a character. It means each character only has 3 end states to their combat potential and it removes a large amount of the spontaneity that makes a game like this interesting in the long run.

Carl

As a modern representation of Sony the roster does an excellent job, but I think everybody can agree that the lack of earlier PlayStation hits specifically Crash, Spyro, and some Final Fantasy character is kind of a bummer and oversight. I get it the license holders weren't willing to extend rights for this game, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing.

There's a good mix of hits from different Playstation home console consoles. Maybe not the ones you want, but to say there's a "lack of earlier Playstation hits" is just wrong.

gadwn

As a Sony fan, I disagree. That's one of the game's problems: it's not targeting its entire possible fanbase.

I don't think that a few old-school RPG-characters would have made so much difference...

Yeah, that is true I guess, but I personally can't fault them for trying and not succeeding in getting everyone on the first try.

thuway

I think the game will do fine over time. I expect it to at least sell 1 million units. There are enough people out there who will buy a Cross Buy title along with the bundle some where down the line. GAF is being GAF again.

Carl

I think the game will do fine over time. I expect it to at least sell 1 million units. There are enough people out there who will buy a Cross Buy title along with the bundle some where down the line. GAF is being GAF again.

But if it doesn't sell 1 million in one day it's a bomba, didn't you know?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Hardly surprising. I might pick it up somewhere down the line even though I wasn't a huge fan of the beta (far too chaotic, and relying on supers to KO enemies sucks), but I can't imagine there being a significant amount of people out there who asked for or wanted a Playstation Smash Bros.

Wow, so many people that didn't like this? It's way better than Smash Bros. in my opinion. Yes, the presentation and menus are awful, but the game itself looks great, the characters are very diverse yet balanced, and the levels are very unique.

Kouriozan

Expected, the core of this game is good but the presentation and lacks of mode and unlockable isn't really appealing.
Hopefully Sony will make PSABR 2 better.

The roster is terrible. It simply isn't marketable to anyone but a diehard Sony fan. That's not really Sony's fault, they just don't have the iconic characters Nintendo has. No one does.

Without the iconic characters, it just becomes Generic Fighting Game #153 and those don't sell.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Wow, so many people that didn't like this? It's way better than Smash Bros. in my opinion. Yes, the presentation and menus are awful, but the game itself looks great, the characters are very diverse yet balanced, and the levels are very unique.

I don't see how that claim can be made with a straight face. The levels are great, I will cosign that, but everything else is just good gaming. Nothing great.

Sissel

The roster is terrible. It simply isn't marketable to anyone but a diehard Sony fan. That's not really Sony's fault, they just don't have the iconic characters Nintendo has. No one does.

Without the iconic characters, it just becomes Generic Fighting Game #153 and those don't sell.
Only Capcom could do this, which they kinda do with MvC (use their roster that is)

Noi

I don't see how that claim can be made with a straight face. The levels are great, I will cosign that, but everything else is just good gaming. Nothing great.

The gameplay and online is better than Brawl's, at least. Though Brawl beats it in sheer SP content.

kunonabi

Problem is they left out a bunch of characters a die hard sony fan would want. It's ridiculous that Cloud, Snake, Dart, Crash, an RE character, and a Toshinden character are all missing.

Problem is they left out a bunch of characters a die hard sony fan would want. It's ridiculous that Cloud, Snake, Dart, Crash, an RE character, and a Toshinden character are all missing.

People still look back at Battle Arena Toshinden fondly? Man.......

I get the FF/Crash/Spyro claims, but i mean, as someone who has enjoyed most of Sony's first-party stuff, i think they did a pretty damn good job.

Carl

I don't even know who Dart and Toshinden are...

I don't think that a few old-school RPG-characters would have made so much difference...

Yeah, that is true I guess, but I personally can't fault them for trying and not succeeding in getting everyone on the first try.

Exactly and hopefully this game does well enough in the long run that we see all the guys who get brought up time and time again in the the sequel.

I don't even know who Dart and Toshinden are...
Neither did I. I had to look them up Toshinden still doesn't ring a bell, but at least I know what Legend of the Dragoon is.

Top Bottom