• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood operated on a racist premise, moviegoers proving premise wrong to Hollywood

KSweeley

The Hollywood Reporter stated that for decades, Hollywood operated on a racist premise that "a film featuring a black cast wouldn't necessarily reach and play to a wider audience" well, moviegoers have proven that premise wrong to Hollywood: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...d-comedy-curse-proves-power-diversity-1023740

For decades, Hollywood studios have operated on the premise that a film featuring a black cast wouldn't necessarily reach and play to a wider audience.

But now, moviegoers are taking matters into their own hands, challenging that assumption and proving Hollywood wrong. The latest example came over the weekend as Universal's critical darling Girls Trip opened to a rousing $30.4 million — the best start for an R-rated comedy in two years and the best showing for any live-action comedy so far this year. The movie achieved those distinctions because it appealed to an array of audiences: African Americans made up 51 percent of ticket buyers, followed by Caucasians at 38 percent, according to industry leader PostTrak.

Girls Trip, directed by Malcolm D. Lee, who shared producing duties with Will Packer, placed an impressive No. 2 behind Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk, which opened to $50.5 million. Girls Trip cost around $20 million to produce, while Dunkirk sports a net budget of $100 million.

Earning a coveted A+ CinemaScore — virtually unprecedented for a live-action comedy — Girls Trip stars Regina Hall, Tiffany Haddish, Jada Pinkett Smith and Queen Latifah as four lifelong friends who travel to New Orleans for a wild, raunchy weekend of fun.

The Kree

Banned
You mean all people really want is for movies to be good and they don't mind if the people on screen don't all look like them? Fancy that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Quality aside they've been ignoring the success of Tyler Perry's films for well over a decade.

I mean, this is coming from the same director who did The Best Man Holiday - which was another successful all-black ensemble comedy. This doesn't seem like that shocking of a success story.

Crocodile

Another notch against the "but but but if we put brown people in a film the customers will run away!". How many notches do we need before we can retire this stupid narrative.

I thought this was going to be about recent movies under whitewashing controversies that ended up bombing in the BO.

I mean it plays into the same narrative so it works either way.

norm9

Looks like those "four old people on a roadtrip" movies that Morgan Freeman and Bruce Willis keeps pumping out. Will check it out though because I like R-rated comedies.

These same headlines acting "shocked" about Black films opening big and making money over the years is always predictable despite the fact this has been happening for over a decade.

Quality aside they've been ignoring the success of Tyler Perry's films for well over a decade.

Everytime I think of Tyler Perry I think of the American Dad episode where Roger is trying to set Steve up as a super hero through editing. When Steve asks how that is possible Roger says how is a film editor and that "Tyler Perry's movie are really good until I edit them" and I laugh.

But yeah, there's been at least one Madea movie a year for a while now. Also what about Get Out which I believe released this year? Shouldn't the universal praise for that film also have been a sign?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think the barrier has always been international audiences. I can't believe it's 2017 and we're celebrating that Americans will watch movies with diverse casts.... I'd have thought that was a given :/

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
'Girls Trip' Box Office Breaks R-Rated Comedy Curse, Proves Power of Diversity

All black cast? Doesn't seem very diverse to me
waiting for the non-joke arguments like this when BP comes out

I think the barrier has always been international audiences. I can't believe it's 2017 and we're celebrating that Americans will watch movies with diverse casts.... I'd have thought that was a given :/

If that were the case, the last couple of Fast and Furious movies shouldn't have been such major hits.

Merc_

Nah, it only started becoming about international audiences once Hollywood needed a new excuse. Even that doesn't seem to be working out too well now as the Fast and the Furious franchise has shown.

Mesoian

This should've been disproven after Straight Outta Compton did gangbusters at the box office.

I think it's more of a story because while SOC was pretty god damn legendary, Girl's Trip is pretty much a wet fart. Race is not a prohibitive factor when it comes to ticket sales, regardless of what Stu Snyder-esque people in hollywood would have you believe.

Slayven

This should've been disproven after Straight Outta Compton did gangbusters at the box office.
No it should have been disporven so many times ago.

I mean, this is coming from the same director who did The Best Man Holiday - which was another successful all-black ensemble comedy. This doesn't seem like that shocking of a success story.

yep, and you always getting the shockling articles "What something outside the Hollywood zeitgeist is succeeding?"

Those Sony email leaks were illuminating about the attitudes in Hollywood.

Probably still someone using Soul Plane as an example of why they shouldn't finance a movie with a primarily black cast.

BocoDragon

If that were the case, the last couple of Fast and Furious movies shouldn't have been such major hits.
Of course international audiences will watch movies with diverse casts. But I'm referring to the mentality in Hollywood. It's not domestic audiences they are worried about, it's international ones. They think it's easier to sell a movie in multiple regions by trading on the safe casting of white privilege. I agree they're wrong and perpetuating a cycle of racism by being "risk averse" in this sense.

Just to put things in perspective. Almost Christmas, an all Black cast low budget (17 million) comedy film, that came out in December of last year grossed more domestically than two big budget blockbuster action films starring "A list" talent in Ghost in the Shell (110 million budget) and King Arthur Legend of the Sword (175 million).

Azuran

Banned
Are you telling me movie viewers can relate to someone with a different skin color? What a time to be alive.

Slayven

Those Sony email leaks were illuminating about the attitudes in Hollywood.

Probably still someone using Soul Plane as an example of why they shouldn't finance a movie with a primarily black cast.

Yeah i knew the game was rigged when they were gun shy about the equalizer sequel staring Denzel Washington

It should have been disproven as far back as Night of the Living Dead.

The reality is it's not just about money despite everybody trying to claim it is, Hollywood wants/needs white actors to tell the stories they want to tell and will give every opportunity for them to star in their big budget blockbuster films.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just to put things in perspective. Almost Christmas, an all Black cast low budget (17 million) comedy film, that came out in December of last year grossed more domestically than two big budget blockbuster action films starring "A list" talent in Ghost in the Shell (110 million budget) and King Arthur Legend of the Sword (175 million).

Hidden Figures raked in over 200 million as well.

norm9

Boomerang's all black cast made 131 million globally in 1992.

The biggest kept secret in Hollywood is that Black films don't lose money.

Especially in Tyler Perry's case where he is the sole controller of everything- sets, scripts, actors. He's literally a one man business. Efficient as heck. There was a 60 Minutes segment on him a few years back. Awe inspiring.

BocoDragon

Nah, it only started becoming about international audiences once Hollywood needed a new excuse. Even that doesn't seem to be working out too well now as the Fast and the Furious franchise has shown.
Maybe so.

Top Bottom