• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood operated on a racist premise, moviegoers proving premise wrong to Hollywood

Yeah, black americans will come out and support seeing our selves in film/television & I don't think that's the case with many other "minority" groups.

We're american so most of us are not going to get deep in Nigerian films or whatever. We have culture here and stories that we believe should be told. Other groups, have origin countries that they can consume media from so they are less likely to be loud and demanding about representation as black americas.

Some white latino republican dude isn't dying for representation like black folks, he's fine with watching white guys as the lead in everything. I see those dudes all the time online taking about "I'm a minority(Who says this?) and I'm fine with all white heroes". Mindy & Aziz are happy to have most all of their love interests be white people, black people aren't playing that shit.

Black americans are loud & demanding and we will demand that Sal puts some black on the wall. Other minority groups aren't doing.

Yeah, black americans will come out and support seeing our selves in film/television & I don't think that's the case with many other "minority" groups.

We're american so most of us are not going to get deep in Nigerian films or whatever. We have culture here and stories that we believe should be told. Other groups, have origin countries that they can consume media from so they are less likely to be loud and demanding about representation as black americas.

Some white latino republican dude isn't dying for representation like black folks, he's fine with watching white guys as the lead in everything. I see those dudes all the time online taking about "I'm a minority(Who says this?) and I'm fine with all white heroes". Mindy & Aziz are happy to have most all of their love interests be white people, black people aren't playing that shit.

Black americans are loud & demanding and we will demand that Sal puts some black on the wall. Other minority groups aren't doing.

This completely undermines the fact that it's Black Americans producers and directors making these films for Black Americans.

What are you even talking about.

How does that undermine the point? Black americans are consciously making art for black americans and other groups aren't

that reinforces my point.. the hell?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

This comes off as pretty ignorant and well racist just so you know

Alienfan

I don't think there was ever much a doubt that these films would do well in America, more how well they would do internationally. Thankfully that seems to be bogus with Fast and the Furious doing amazingly well, still I bet a lot is riding on Black Panther to prove black protagonists won't scare away the overseas market. A shame we won't be getting LGBT characters in blockbuster films though, thanks mostly to Hollywood's new relationship with China.

How does that undermine the point? Black americans are consciously making art for black americans and other groups aren't

that reinforces my point.. the hell?

Your post was garbage and about being loud and demanding, and not about doing and making it happen themselves which is what made the difference.

Imagine the mindset that needed to use money as an excuse for excluding the stories of people of color to begin with?

"Well yes, we're racist - but the money!"

It's awesome that this excuse is being taken from them.

Your post was garbage and about being loud and demanding, and not about doing and making it happen themselves which is what made the difference.

You have to want something to do it. Black americans are in a unique position relative to other non-white immigrants in america and we make and support media for us, other groups don't even have the same level of demand for representation

racist toward whom?

nZtvKkI.gif

You have to want something to do it. Black americans are in a unique position relative to other non-white immigrants in america and we make and support media for us, other groups don't even have the same level of demand for representation

The demand of representation from other groups over the past several years has said otherwise.

By the way, your first post is still garbage as fuck. I can't believe you had the nerve to compare us to Buggin' Out demanding Black pictures put up in Sal's Italian restaurant. LOL

Who is the victim of racism in their post? Sounds like a black person who is glad that black stories are being told, to me, with a slight aside about white Latino Republicans. This is an honest question, I feel like I'm missing something. The Mindy and Aziz comment? That was a little "eh" for sure.

The demand of representation from other groups over the past several years has said otherwise.

By the way, your first post is still garbage as fuck. I can't believe you had the nerve to compare it to Buggin' Out demanding Black pictures put up in Sal's Italian restaurant. LOL

Honestly, I can't tell you how many times I've read some latino dude say "I'm a minority and I don't need diversity in movies, comics, video games"

I'm not pulling it out of my ass. Obviously there are many who do want better representation but the demand isn't there like black americans

remember when Michelle Rodriguez said Minority actors should "stop stealing" white superheroes?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/furious-7s-michelle-rodriguez-superhero-778430

Honestly, I can't tell you how many times I've read some latino dude say "I'm a minority and I don't need diversity in movies, comics, video games"

I'm not pulling it out of my ass. Obviously there are many who do want better representation but the demand isn't there like black americans

remember when Michelle Rodriguez said Minority actors should "stop stealing" white superheroes?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/furious-7s-michelle-rodriguez-superhero-778430

That's not what we're disagreeing with you on. It's the loud and demanding bullshit and the Buggin' Out comparisons.

Who is the victim of racism in their post? Sounds like a black person who is glad that black stories are being told, to me, with a slight aside about white Latino Republicans. This is an honest question, I feel like I'm missing something. The Mindy and Aziz comment? That was a little "eh" for sure.

dude, what's "eh" about it? Both Mindy & Aziz almost exclusively feature white love interests. My point it, they're not making sure they represent they're folks first for whatever reasons

wandering

Banned

The "other minorities can just watch stuff from their countries of origin" thing is pretty dumb and ignorant and a favorite talking point of the anti-PC crowd

dude, what's "eh" about it? Both Mindy & Aziz almost exclusively feature white love interests. My point it, they're not making sure they represent they're folks first for whatever reasons
I hear what you're saying. I guess I don't view it as competitively and think that another nice thing to include and show is interracial relationships. I suppose it depends what your end goal is; if you just want a particular race to have its time in the sun, then you don't want to see mixed relationships when the star is a person of color. But my goal I'd like to see is people growing more open minded and loving towards one another and all of us being able to live the lives we want to live. Interracial relationships embody that beautifully.

The "other minorities can just watch stuff from their countries of origin" thing is pretty dumb and ignorant and a favorite talking point of the anti-PC crowd
Oh okay, I didn't quite read it like that the first time. Got it.

I hear what you're saying. I guess I don't view it as competitively and think that another nice thing to include and show is interracial relationships. I suppose it depends what your end goal is; if you just want a particular race to have its time in the sun, then you don't want to see mixed relationships when the star is a person of color. But my goal I'd like to see is people growing more open minded and loving towards one another and all of us being able to live the lives we want to live. Interracial relationships embody that beautifully.

interracial relationships are fine. upholding white standards of beauty where white love interests are almost exclusive for lead characters of color? That's completely different to me

In a vacuum I agree.

However how many Indian American leads with Indian American love interests do you normally see on TV or films compared to these interracial relationships?

Or Asian American leading men with Asian American love interest in general compared to Interracial relationships?

This should've been disproven after Straight Outta Compton did gangbusters at the box office.

Quality aside they've been ignoring the success of Tyler Perry's films for well over a decade.

Boomerang's all black cast made 131 million globally in 1992.

The biggest kept secret in Hollywood is that Black films don't lose money.

Coming to America in 1988 made $128M domestic and $288M worldwide on a $39M budget. Third-highest grossing film of the year in the US box office, second-highest domestic opening weekend, and Paramount's highest-grossing film of that year.

And it came out roughly a decade after the 1978 flop The Wiz discredited films with mostly black casts.

If not that then Get Out.
Thing is, neither of those films did particularly well outside America in terms of raw numbers. They did really well for such low budget films, yes, but we're talking 1/3 of US box office, when most "big" films have an inverse ratio. This could be put down to not as much being spent in international marketing, though.

Thing is, neither of those films did particularly well outside America in terms of raw numbers. They did really well for such low budget films, yes, but we're talking 1/3 of US box office, when most "big" films have an inverse ratio. This could be put down to not as much being spent in international marketing, though.

Studios make more money percentage wise domestically.

i still don't get your point particularly when you compare films of bigger budgets that aren't even making the same amount relative to their budgets.

Mechazawa

It's really impressive how as a minority, you have zero self awareness over using a single person of color's dumbass comment and propping them up as some emissary or some shit.

Ronin Ray

Blade put comic book movies back on the map how many years ago? Blade started this whole little comic book movie Revolution we are in. How many years have we had to wait for a Black Panther and other black super heros to get there own movie ? Only movie I can think of is Catwoman

It's really impressive how as a minority, you have zero self awareness over using a single person of color's dumbass comment and propping them up as some emissary or some shit.

You're just not loud and demanding enough.

You need to go to your closest Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles and demand for representation on their wall of pictures.

Blade put comic book movies back on the map how many years ago? Blade started this whole little comic book movie Revolution we are in. How many years have we had to wait for a Black Panther and other black super heros to get there own movie ? Only movie I can think of is Catwoman

Hancock was an original idea with no connection to any comic brand and made 625 million globally back in 2008.

Ronin Ray

You're just not loud and demanding enough.

You need to go to your next Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles and demand for representation on their wall of pictures.

Hancock was an original idea with no connection to any comic brand and made 625 million globally back in 2008.

Forgot about Hancock. That movie deserves a sequel

kswiston

I mentioned it in the box office thread, but more white people went to the opening weekend of Girls Trip than Rough Night.

Future

Empire on TV was doing insanely well as wel during the first season. People like black people after all!

Or maybe. If the content is good.....it will actually succeed.

Empire on TV was doing insanely well as wel during the first season. People like black people after all

Bruh, The Cosby Show spent 5 seasons as the number 1 rated show back in the 80's and damn near single highhandedly revitalized the sitcom genre. We're talking about when 30 million people used to watch the show at the same time and the US population was only around 250 million people.

I'm really not using her a single spokesperson, seeing as how I gave examples of two other well known and accomplished creators

This isn't me going "Morgan Freeman said we shouldn't talk about color." This is me saying "I don't think other non-white american groups are as vocal, hungry or passionate about representation in tv & film"

I'm not saying they don't want it, I'm saying black americans see it as necessary and act according.

When I read around the net about diverse representation and constantly see posts that say "I'm a minority, where is my (insert group) hero?" sarcastically? There isn't any damn sarcasm to black people expecting representation.

Sunster

does this mean we can stop casting white people as non white characters? or are we going to keep using the star power argument for another decade?

kswiston

Bruh, The Cosby Show spent 5 seasons as the number 1 rated show back in the 80's and damn near single highhandedly revitalized the sitcom genre. We're talking about when 30 million people used to watch the show at the same time and the US population was only around 250 million people.

Not as big, but Family Matters and the Fresh Prince were also huge.

duckroll

does this mean we can stop casting white people as non white characters? or are we going to keep using the star power argument for another decade?

The new excuse is that Asians aren't as talented or that they can't speak perfect English for the role. Get with the times! :p

:(

Opto

Banned
I'm really not using her a single spokesperson, seeing as how I gave examples of two other well known and accomplished creators

This isn't me going "Morgan Freeman said we shouldn't talk about color." This is me saying "I don't think other non-white american groups are as vocal, hungry or passionate about representation in tv & film"

I'm not saying they don't want it, I'm saying black americans see it as necessary and act according.

When I read around the net about diverse representation and constantly see posts that say "I'm a minority, where is my (insert group) hero?" sarcastically? There isn't any damn sarcasm to black people expecting representation.

I feel like you missed Ghost in the Shell's whole... thing

LionPride

Banned

Nigga what???

Hispanics/Latinos/Asians/Brown/every fucking minority wants to be positively represented in film/tv/games

That shit is genuine.

Black people started up earlier by doing black films where classically trainrd actors had to fuckin be pimps and shit just to get a foot in the door.

We started that shit 40/50 years ago, while other minorities didn't do that like we did, don't say they ain't as hungry

Fuck outta here

Top Bottom