• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood operated on a racist premise, moviegoers proving premise wrong to Hollywood

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Nigga what???

Hispanics/Latinos/Asians/Brown/every fucking minority wants to be positively represented in film/tv/games

That shit is genuine.

Black people started up earlier by doing black films where classically trainrd actors had to fuckin be pimps and shit just to get a foot in the door.

We started that shit 40/50 years ago, while other minorities didn't do that like we did, don't say they ain't as hungry

Fuck outta here

The first part is true but Asian/Latino/Black actors and actresses had to play the Black thug, Mexican gangster or the Asian/Chinese triad a lot in TV and movies. Heck Native Americans had to dress up and mock their own culture to get on tv and movies in the past, if the studios didn't just hire white people to play native Americans.

You guys think Detroit will do well? Domestic and/or internationally? Acclaimed director and cast, but the subject matter is very dark / depressing so dunno if that is good or bad. It seems to be abuzz for best picture, actor, director oscar noms.

Be interesting to see how it compares up to zero dark thirty box office wise, the directors last movie.

LionPride

Banned
The first part is true but Asian/Latino/Black actors and actresses had to play the Black thug, Mexican gangster or the Asian/Chinese triad a lot in TV and movies. Heck Native Americans had to dress up and mock their own culture to get on tv and movies in the past, if the studios didn't just hire white people to play native Americans.
Of course, I was just talkin bout black people being in majority black movies doin that shit

Today Indians still have to portray clerks like they're Apu, Asians still have all of their stereotypes, Hispanics/Latinos have gangster shit, the dude who plays Jaime on Broad City talked about it on podcasts

Struggle is v real for all of us

blakep267

You guys think Detroit will do well? Domestic and/or internationally? Acclaimed director and cast, but the subject matter is very dark / depressing so dunno if that is good or bad. It seems to be abuzz for best picture, actor, director oscar noms.

Be interesting to see how it compares up to zero dark thirty box office wise, the directors last movie.
The marketing doesn't seem to be there for it. It may win some awards though

No I don't think Detroit is going to do well. It may do well in Awards season. I don't think John Boyega is a box office draw to carry a film like that despite being the biggest name attached to it.

Gorillaz

Panther will be the big test.The marvel name will be a good safety net but if it does well especially in international territories then that would be a big one.

LionPride

Banned

Idk, it's in August, not a lotta great marketing

But I know I'm seeing John Boyega do his shit

Jaeger

You mean all people really want is for movies to be good and they don't mind if the people on screen don't all look like them? Fancy that.

I know, right? Fucking insane. Next thing you are gonna tell me is that we should be casting other minorities in minority roles. Pfftt. What will Johnny Depp do then?

Nigga what???

Hispanics/Latinos/Asians/Brown/every fucking minority wants to be positively represented in film/tv/games

That shit is genuine.

Black people started up earlier by doing black films where classically trainrd actors had to fuckin be pimps and shit just to get a foot in the door.

We started that shit 40/50 years ago, while other minorities didn't do that like we did, don't say they ain't as hungry

Fuck outta here

Sure, Aziz will ask the poignant question of "why can't there be two?" but he'll also manage to write & cast the first 10 episodes of his own show without making space for a woman of his own group

be mad at me for pointing it out *shrug*

I'm not saying Robert Rodriguez never made Spy Kids or that the George Lopez show didn't happen or Fresh of the Boat is trash. I am saying that those kinds of productions are consistently expected and demanded by black americans viewers.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Thank you captain obvious!. Of course a minority cast would do well in the cinema.
Needs more mexicans playing lead roles. Would be great for my people.

Sure, Aziz will ask the poignant question of "why can't there be two?" but he'll also manage to write & cast the first 10 episodes of his own show without making space for a woman of his own group

I'm not saying Robert Rodriguez never made Spy Kids or that the George Lopez show didn't happen or Fresh of the Boat is trash. I am saying that those kinds of productions are consistently expected and demanded by black americans viewers.

Despite disagreeing with how you characterized us....

In general, I kinda get what you're saying and somewhat agree with you.

Thank you captain obvious!. Of course a minority cast would do well in the cinema.
Needs more mexicans playing lead roles. Would be great for my people.

3 of the best directors working in the industry now are Mexican.

Get Out
The Fast franchise
Hidden Figures
Straight outta Compton

People just like to be entertained. Now let's get more Latinos and Asians in film.

Kinvara

would you say those controversies were lead by asian americans or just part of a larger ongoing discussion about race diversity in mass media?

Yes.

The casting of The Last Airbender was a personal breaking point for me. It's only until just recently that I've started to pursue acting seriously again after spending the past few years convinced that it just wasn't a feasible option for me.

LionPride

Banned

It's weird because you go off the assumption other minorities don't care as much

And in this last season there was an entire episode about Denise and her growth as a person from childhood to adulthood and the first girl we see him show interest in was black

But okay

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Idk, it's in August, not a lotta great marketing

But I know I'm seeing John Boyega do his shit

I keep forgetting that comes out in August. I gotta support my man John. I ain't gonna be there for Pacific Rim...so I'll be there for his prestige push.

Yes.

The casting of The Last Airbender was a personal breaking point for me. It's only until just recently that I've started to pursue acting seriously again after spending the past few years convinced that it just wasn't a feasible option for me.

Good luck, for real. All I want to see is more people of color in great lead roles

Top Bottom