• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Holy...80 gigs??"

koutoru

Just wait until publishers start telling devs to start bloating their game files with junk data in order for it to appear as though there's more content in the actual game \s.

Astral Dog

When I saw the Gears 4 50 to 80 gigs requirement i started drooling. I love it!!! Something about installing a game that requires 50+ gigs of space makes me feel like I'm really getting my money's worth.

Is this a subliminal psychological sort of thing? The more gigs the better. HDDs are so big now anyway so what's 80 gigs really? It sucks for those in AU and other bandwidth capped countries but here in 'Murica...MOAR GIGS! Who agrees? :D

no, i think thats silly,

Consumer

Lol what even is this thread?

Rocket League is like, 5GB yet entertained me longer (and better) than 1 TB worth of games.

And the default PS4 HDD can only fit about 8-10 AAA games, which sucks ass. So no, bigger =/= better unless we're talking about HDD space.

jdstorm

Banned
It's not always about 'inengine graphics not looking good enough'. You can do things in a prerendered cutscene that aren't so simple to run in-engine.

And I dunno why so many people correlate large filesize with poor optimization, either.

I understand that it's not a completely logical position to take. Until you play the game you can't know how well it's optimised, or how good the assets are.

As a consumer I tend to compare similar games, especially on a closed platform like a console where power requirements are universal between games. that's how I set my expectations. So for instance If Call of Duty and Killzone (both campaign focused FPS games) both have similar length campaigns but one is double the file size, I will be skeptical.

yami4ct

5560934426.png

And that's an abnormally fast test for me. Usually in the 1.4-1.5 range. So no, OP. I do not agree with you. High Speed internet infrastructure in the US sucks. It's easy to ignore if you don't live in rural areas, but for those of us who do it's a constant hassle.

I understand that it's not a completely logical position to take. Until you play the game you can't know how well it's optimised, or how good the assets are.

As a consumer I tend to compare similar games, especially on a closed platform like a console where power requirements are universal between games. that's how I set my expectations. So for instance If Call of Duty and Killzone (both campaign focused FPS games) both have similar length campaigns but one is double the file size, I will be skeptical.

but you definitely know that there's far more to filesize than just the length of a campaign.

I'm pretty sure Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 is a lot bigger than KZ Shadowfall, filesize-wise. There's a lot of no-brainer reasons for that, too, despite the fact that KZ Shadowfall has better graphics throughout. And a lot of that has to do with the fact that Call of Duty is host to a huge bevy of content outside of the campaign. The same can be said for Gears, too.

renzollo

Banned
I think that's the strangest response to a massive game size that I've ever seen. My typical one is "great, another development studio stops caring about proper asset compression and now my bandwidth has to pay the price".

Gamezone

Gold Member
As someone who stills buys physical games on consoles I have to say that these game sizes are ridiculously big and the lack of foresight to allow current gen consoles to be compatible with BDXL Discs bothers me.

With a 50GB limit (actually less than that) on a Dual Layered Blu-Ray Disc we reached the point way too early in the generation where some games can't be played at all anymore because the rest of the game has to be downloaded and actual GoTY/Complete Editions outright don't have DLC on the Disc anymore and that too has to be downloaded from the Store through the use of a code. I got to say I'm really glad I have no data caps here in Chicago.

I`m not sure how that`ll work with Jack Tretton and Phil Spencer`s quote that every game will be playable offline without any online authentication.

I also don`t understand why Gears of War 4 requires 80 GB, while The Witcher 3 is 30 GB.

cripterion

Shit internet speeds and paying like fiber users (around 45€ per month) yay!

5561705458.png

And that's an abnormally fast test for me. Usually in the 1.4-1.5 range. So no, OP. I do not agree with you. High Speed internet infrastructure in the US sucks. It's easy to ignore if you don't live in rural areas, but for those of us who do it's a constant hassle.

Well check my results, I have shitty speeds and yet I'm only slower than roughly half of France. For such a small country it's just shameful shit to have such an awful quality of broadband.

Gamezone

Gold Member
This wouldn't be a discussion issue if they just released everything on two discs. Let downloaders download their games digitally, and let the rest buy everything physically.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The campaign is on the disc, and is fully playable without any download. Just asked one of the developers.

What does this even mean? Games are played on large, high definition TVs these days. Compression can be very noticeable. And at any rate you're operating under the assumption that this filesize is a direct result of the inclusion of uncompressed pre-rendered cutscenes, when that's neither confirmed nor so likely that it's a safe assumption. I mean, DOOM on PC is over 60 gigs.

DOOM. Is it all those pre-rendered cutscenes? lol.

From what I've seen, Gears 4 looks like it's got lots of unique assets and locales, and I'm just describing the single-player - there's still the entire multiplayer suite to consider as well.

EzGslrzAb5AxG.gif

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The campaign is on the disc, and is fully playable without any download. Just asked one of the developers.

On PC? Or XB1?
Cuz if the PC version comes on discs ill bite.

On XB1 imma guess
No multiplayer on disc thats another 30Gb download or some other silly shit.

P.S Do any PC games even come on discs these days...I know Quantum Break Retail is supposed to be coming on discs...which is damn welcome for someone without unlimited internet.

Gamezone

Gold Member
On PC? Or XB1?

On XB1 imma guess

P.S Do any PC games even come on discs these days...I know Quantum Break Retail is supposed to be coming on discs...which is damn welcome for someone without unlimited internet.

I guess he was talking about the Xbox One version. Developers and publishers kinda expects PC gamers to have a good and stable connection these days, and ready to handle DRM too. He didn`t say anything about a day one download, but the game is 80 GB. I don`t know how much you can compress something on a disc, but I expect a 20-30 GB download in order to get the multiplayer running.

On PC? Or XB1?

On XB1 imma guess

Depends on the developer. Both GTA V (seven discs) and the Witcher 3 (three discs) came with discs. However then you have developers like Bethesda, who like to fuck you over and say it's physical, when all it is one fucking disc. DOOM came with one disc and you still had to download another +35gb, I don't even know why the included the disc.

Rellik

I feel for you, my speed from Sweden to Ohio.
5562028049.png

No need to kick him while he's down :p

As one of the lucky people with high speed fibre and no cap, I don't really care about how big or small a game is these days. But it wasn't that long ago I was stuck on ADSL so I understand the pain.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Depends on the developer. Both GTA V (seven discs) and the Witcher 3 (three discs) came with discs. However then you have developers like Bethesda, who like to fuck you over and say it's physical, when all it is one fucking disc. DOOM came with one disc and you still had to download another +35gb, I don't even know why the included the disc.

Didn`t Metal Gear Solid only include the download shortcut on the disc?

Is it possible to plug in more than one external drive to PS4/xbone at once, to use for game/patch storage?

Might have to go for a couple of 4tb's to add to the two 2tb's I already have. :0

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Didn`t Metal Gear Solid only include the download shortcut on the disc?
Yeah, it came with a disc that only had the Steam installer on it, lol.

Hahaha thats pretty shitty of developers.
They waste a whole DVD just for a code/link/installer.

No point really putting the PC-DVD tag on the box, might as well just have it be a good ol CD.

Still hoping GEARS 4 comes on discs....atleast the campaign, the MP can fuck off.

FoxSpirit

I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you just not like the simple, colorful designs? There are a few examples I can think of with blurry textures, like Torb, but most characters aren't like that at all.
Well, it heavily depends on the character, like Stoneheart Reinhardt. Ingame it's mostly large weapons which could need a slightly larger tetxure like Plague-Doctor Reaper or regular 76. Just not really crisp, more like 720p levels of full detail.

It's not terrible or anything but for screenshotting I wish just for a lil bit more :)

If their server can provide a fast enough download for anyone at anytime, I don't care about game sizes.

I'll delete them from my sdds after playing anyway.

I can't even imagine how shitty it would be to live in a bandwidth-capped nation. I'd start burning down everything protesting xD

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
As one of the lucky people with high speed fibre and no cap, I don't really care about how big or small a game is these days. But it wasn't that long ago I was stuck on ADSL so I understand the pain.

Do you get free hard drives or something...?

Cmagus

That's a lot but in comparison Final Fantasy Xiii is 60 gig and this game will look leaps and bounds better lol.

Gamezone

Gold Member
On PC? Or XB1?

On XB1 imma guess

Yes, but like they did on Xbox One, you will probably have to download or stream the 4K television show in addition to what's on the disc. Pretty shitty that discs can't come without these massive downloads.

Horp

I kind of get what OP is going for. I remember back when I got Riven on 5-6 CDs and I was like boy am I in for a treat.
Same but reversed has applied when I've bought games in genres that should be big, like RPG games with a realistic graphical style and exploration as a big part of the game, and you see that the steam downlod is 954 MB's and you're like meehh.

Joyful

personally im tired of all these bigass game sizes

its like they refuse to use lossy codecs and texture compression or something

RedSwirl

In the US only the biggest companies still release them, like Ubisoft, 2K, and Activision, and obviously Blizzard. Mainly Ubisoft really. The latest Call of Duty games still come in boxes with six DVDs. NBA 2K games still come in boxes, you can get GTA V in a box with seven DVDs. Sometimes though after a while these physical PC versions end up being ridiculously cheap compared to the digital version. Far Cry 4 is still $40 on Steam (when it's not on sale) but you can get the physical PC version for $15 almost any time. COD games tend to go down in price on PC physical before anywhere else.

EA used to do full physical PC games in the US but now they just ship a box with an Origin code in it. It started doing this with Battlefront I believe so anything before that you can get a physical disc of that activates on Origin. All these other companies usually ship boxes with Steam keys along with the discs. The discs install using Steam.

Betehsda used to ship boxes with four discs containing the full game and steam code but starting with Fallout 4, it just ships one disc with 4 gigs of the game on it, forcing you to download the other 45 gigs from Steam. I think Wolfenstein and Evil Within were the last games Bethesda shipped with the whole game on discs. Square Enix shipped full PC physical versions with Steam activations last gen but doesn't with current-gen games.

In Europe though I think everybody still sells physical PC games, which is ironic because the US is the country that's setting up all the data caps.

Top Bottom