• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Holy...80 gigs??"

I am honest, I'd be glad for a HD texture download for Overwatch. Screenshots just lack a bit of glory. Plus those character select screen closeups just smears it into you face.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you just not like the simple, colorful designs? There are a few examples I can think of with blurry textures, like Torb, but most characters aren't like that at all.

That's just ridiculous, though. 300 bucks a month with a grand in set up costs? I pay 55 a month for about 50MB dl. It doesnt cost them anymore money to allow more throughput. Its just letting me get the 1s and 0s faster. Ugh, makes me angry. Once the old farts finally die off in Congress, hopefully, the new generation will get in and make Internet a utility. It's plain greed at this point. Absolutely no reas on to charge someone 300 a month to stream a movie or download large files quickly.

Oh, I agree; I'm just glad that Comcast isn't completely sticking its head in the sand over gigabit.

When I see a size of over 25GB, the only thing I think is "Oh boy, fucking pre-rendered cutscenes everywhere."

It's especially baffling with games like Final Fantasy 13, which have a ton of pre-rendered cutscenes at ingame graphics quality. Like... WHY?

dLMN8R

The issue is that MS was unable to provide an option for the user to decide in which folder he wants to install the stuff from WinStore. This means that I'll have to install it on my SSD and that means that I don't have 80 gigs readily available there. If MS will somehow be able to provide an option of installing WinStore games into a folder of my choosing (note - not the folder of MS choosing on a different drive as they allow at the moment) then it won't be a problem.

I don't understand.

You can pick a different drive, but you say that's not enough to avoid installing to your SSD.

Why?

dr_rus

I don't understand.

You can pick a different drive, but you say that's not enough to avoid installing to your SSD.

Why?

Because in the magical world of PC users should be able to pick not drive but a specific folder. They should also be able to name that folder to their liking.

dLMN8R

Because in the magical world of PC users should be able to pick not drive but a specific folder. They should also be able to name that folder to their liking.

I'm not arguing that flexibility like this is or is not important.

I'm asking how you reached this conclusion: "This means that I'll have to install it on my SSD"

Because you most certainly do not need to install to your SSD.

But you said that would mean you would HAVE TO install it on your SSD which is not true.

I agree not having the choice of choosing the exact folder is shitty but you don't have to install on your SSD which is what you're saying

mr2xxx

Banned
Do these games have options to only download what you actually need? I'm not gaming at 4k anytime soon so it'd be nice if I wasnt forced to download 4k assets.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Big file sizes is an issue when places like America still use data caps as 80GB can be quite a lot for some people. Then there is also the issue of speed and what not.

Personally they can be 100GB for all I care, and pre-load would be nice.

As for the quality, it means nothing. Compressed, not compressed and so on.

Could be 50GB of uncompressed audio in there for all we know :3

A fucking nightmare for those with data caps.

Yep. Huge patches and game sizes finally made me give up on ever playing many of the types of AAA games I would've played last gen. I was just playing them out of inertia most of the time, so I'm not really missing anything.

RedSwirl

I loved how Titanfall on PC took 50gb because it installed all the language packs. The full game with the DLC on Xbone is about 20gb with one language.

Wasn't the initial download like 18 gigs and then it unpacked? Why can't more games do that?

And I remember them saying Titanfall uses uncompressed textures so computers with weaker CPUs don't have to do the extra work of uncompressing them during gameplay.

Games tend to have some unnecessarily uncompressed assets like audio (and some textures which should be compressed appropriately even for perf. reasons) but the biggest factor for such sizes is bad asset management which comes as a result of bad team project management and communication. There is a lot of bloated assets such as duplicated textures, models (including completely unused assets) that exist through the project's lifetime that they just build and ship together. You can dig into a lot of game's files (just like they are doing with NMS) and discover these sort of issues.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Damn, I remember that pain. AT&T had a monopoly in my neighborhood until about a year ago and these were the speeds I was getting:

LL

Now Charter came to my neighborhood to breed competition and here are my current speeds:

5559686660.png

5560151298.png

Let me join.

DieH@rd

Banned
Weren't Titanfall audio files stored in uncompressed WAV files?

I'm fine with devs having more storage space for their needs, but that was just lazy.

edit -
5560186441.png

poodaddy

No, I'm impressed when games are small though

I think Fast Racing Neo is about 500mb, and Journey was 600mb on PS3 and was one of the best looking games of the generation
Yeah I second this. Smaller game files just show that the devs know how to compress properly. Bigger data size for a game does not mean better on any level, in fact that may very well be one of the weirdest things I've ever read. Would you be super excited if you found out that a car you want only gets 3 miles to the gallon?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
When I saw the Gears 4 50 to 80 gigs requirement i started drooling. I love it!!! Something about installing a game that requires 50+ gigs of space makes me feel like I'm really getting my money's worth.

Is this a subliminal psychological sort of thing? The more gigs the better. HDDs are so big now anyway so what's 80 gigs really? It sucks for those in AU and other bandwidth capped countries but here in 'Murica...MOAR GIGS! Who agrees? :D

Bandwidth caps?

Yeah, unlimited 100mb cable up in here mate.

dr_rus

I'm not arguing that flexibility like this is or is not important.

I'm asking how you reached this conclusion: "This means that I'll have to install it on my SSD"

Because you most certainly do not need to install to your SSD.

Since I can't install it into the folder I'd like to install it in I will have to install it in the default location in Program Files on drive C: Which is my SSD. I refuse to install anything in MS created/named folders in roots of my other drives. Don't see what you don't get.

FZW

My internet speed here in Ohio:

5020358630.png

its a good thing that 93% of the US don't have this problem.

I live in a 3rd world country and didn't get broad band till the middle of the 360 era, yet there are places in the US that have speeds less than my phone data package?

Wow...

Caayn

Since I can't install it into the folder I'd like to install it in I will have to install it in the default location in Program Files on drive C: Which is my SSD. I refuse to install anything in MS created/named folders in roots of my other drives. Don't see what you don't get.
So you complain that you can't install it because your SSD isn't large enough. While you can install it on a different drive if you want to but you ignore that option completely because you can't name the folder it's installed in?

I get that you want the option to choose your own install folder, I want it as well, but the way your bringing it is confusing and unnecessarily obtuse.

RibMan

100% agreed with OP.

To be frank, I can't see myself ever spending $60 on any game that's less than 60GB. If I'm paying you $60 then I expect 60GB or more. No compromises, no compressesises. Alberto Ayynstein published a great paper that explains the theory of dollar to filesize. The conclusion was essentially $1 = 1GB. With that in mind, why would a studio ever want to employ efficient formats, bitrate, compression, and rendering techniques that makes their game take up less gigabytes? Why spend more development time and pay for more middleware licenses? What benefits are there in doing that?

Furthermore -- and this is not a criticism at The Koala Mission -- but any game that ships without a day one patch isn't a game worth my money. I'm sorry if you think there should be standards and quality and shit, but that's not what the kids are into these days. And I would know what the kids are into because I've got a lot of kid in me. I'm sorry if your studio wanted to do an archaic and outdated and and and and and and and an old way of shipping games, but to me, a large day one patch signifies that you get modern development. You get the kids. We live in different times, so an avoidable devaluation of the gaming experience is awesome. Day one patches tell me that you understand that a game is never done. Always be patching. A game is a snowflake; it is a unique and delicate product that shatters all that has come before it and all that is around it. A game should, in my opinion, only be reviewed after thirty or seventy nine patches, whichever works best for the publisher. That's the way the crunchy on the outside but soft in the middle chocolate chip cookie that is gaming crumbles. A game is an evolving product -- it's like... it's like your grandmother. Just think about it. There was a time when your grandmother probably thought "Horses are so fucking dope bruh". But then what happened? Ford came through and cars happened. Grandma went from horses to motor vehicles. Did your grandfather think "Wow, Mildred Flappers is into cars now, I'm out"? No. Your grandfather stuck with your grandmother. And that's why you're here today. You wouldn't be here without your grandmother evolving with time, so by that logic, games won't exist in the future if they don't have a large filesize and large day one patches. Nevermind the fact that a game is not a horse. A game should be a 60 to 900 GB file, and it should have sixty two day one patches. That's the future -- delaying the consumption time between a purchase and gameplay by practices that only benefit the bottomline of a business.

I've never believed and been a fan of the whole "There are people in parts of the world who love console gaming but are being turned off on it with each passing day because the practices and products that are being released by developers and or publishers are horrifically anti-efficient, anti-consumer, and anti-jump-the-fuck-in-and-just-play". To me, anyone who thinks that should just move to Anaheim. Anaheim has Disney and fast internet. Who would want to live anywhere other than Anaheim? What value is there in living in a different part of the world, and why should a company from Seattle or Tokyo be aware of the regional differences that exist among their userbase and thus make as much effort as possible to ensure the best gameplay and interactivity experience for their regionally diverse userbase? I'm sorry if you think that multi-billion dollar corporations have the capacity to hire an extra guy or two to look at a game before release and say "This ocean of digital shit is unplayable so we can't release it like this". I'm sorry but you just don't understand how hiring and paying someone in pineapple pizza and Mountain Dew Baja Blast works. Do you realize that by having to pay someone to ensure the consumer doesn't have a shitacular experience you are, in effect, engaging in an outdated practice of quality assurance? How do you not realize that by having people in your company to "look out" for the consumer you are being pro-consumer; a terrible and outdated practice in today's fast evolving and exciting world of marketing mistruths, misdirections, and Twitter misfires? Why not just work on a game, work on the day one patch, go to the gym and hit on that cute girl in the fantasstic Under Armour running tights, work on the deliberately misleading advertising and promotional campaign, and then cash as many checks as possible? That's how you do business -- you fuck over as many people as possible and then act dumb when people go "Hey wait a minute you guys say you're pro-consumer but everything your business is doing is the very definition of anti-consumer because it doesn't benefit me as a consumer of your product". And don't lie to yourself and say "Movies and apps and music and podcasts and TV shows and books are all available in a digital format yet the creators of those bits of entertainment are able to ship a complete product that isn't a broken and unplayable mess of half-truths and exorbitant file sizes". A game is interactive. Have you even SEEN Titanfall 2? I thought so. Games are way more complex than any other form of entertainment and everything else and as such should never be criticized for being distributed in a horribly inefficient manner, failing to work, and failing to deliver on pro-consumer practices.

Again, games are like snowflakes. Just open your mouth, stick your tongue out, and wait for it.

dr_rus

So you complain that you can't install it because your SSD isn't large enough. While you can install it on a different drive if you want to but you ignore that option completely because you can't name the folder it's installed in?

I get that you want the option to choose your own install folder, I want it as well, but the way your bringing it is confusing and unnecessarily obtuse.

Correct.

dLMN8R

I'm just saying you should distinguish "can't" from "won't".

Because you most assuredly can do exactly what you say you can't do. You're just mad you can't do it in the exact way you want to do it.

Nosgotham

It just means they aren't compressing shit. Nothing more. They are just taking up extra space because they don't have to optimize to save space anymore.

dr_rus

I'm just saying you should distinguish "can't" from "won't".

Because you most assuredly can do exactly what you say you can't do. You're just mad you can't do it in the exact way you want to do it.

I can't choose a folder I'd like to use and I can't even name the folder which MS is creating for me when I install something from WinStore to a different drive than C:. Thus I can't use this function as I don't feel like letting MS name the folders on my drives and choose where they'll be in such cases.

It's 2016 and we're on PC. An ability to choose a folder for program installation and name it the way you see fit shouldn't be considered a "feature" by any means. The lack of such ability should be considered a grave oversight though in this day and age.

Wild Card

Man fuck you guys. I get like 300kb/s. I would do the speed test but I'm afraid the damn thing will just drop, and it's like $80 a month with a daily cap. fuck I need to move

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
As someone who stills buys physical games on consoles I have to say that these game sizes are ridiculously big and the lack of foresight to allow current gen consoles to be compatible with BDXL Discs bothers me.

With a 50GB limit (actually less than that) on a Dual Layered Blu-Ray Disc we reached the point way too early in the generation where some games can't be played at all anymore because the rest of the game has to be downloaded and actual GoTY/Complete Editions outright don't have DLC on the Disc anymore and that too has to be downloaded from the Store through the use of a code. I got to say I'm really glad I have no data caps here in Chicago.

RedToad64

its a good thing that 93% of the US don't have this problem.

I live in a 3rd world country and didn't get broad band till the middle of the 360 era, yet there are places in the US that have speeds less than my phone data package?

Wow...
The United States is big. Really big. I think people underestimate how large it is.

Skyzard

Banned
Op's reasoning is terrible and should be heckled back to non-existance unless you want to keep deleting games to make space for new stuff.

jdstorm

Banned
When I see a size of over 25GB, the only thing I think is "Oh boy, fucking pre-rendered cutscenes everywhere."

It's especially baffling with games like Final Fantasy 13, which have a ton of pre-rendered cutscenes at ingame graphics quality. Like... WHY?

This. If anything it makes me think worse of the game as it makes me question if the Inengine graphics don't look good enough to be used in place of pre rendered cutscenes. It also makes me worry about the level of effort that has gone into optimising the game, and how long the loading screens will be

Sometimes when games are 50 gigs or more it is either uncompressed audio or not optimizing good enough. That is not always the case however.

So now not only the game's length but also the file size that makes it worth the price? This is sad.

Edit:
Ps. Titanfall was 48gb of uncompressed audio!
File size doesn't Mena anything!

Just Cause 2 is 5 GB
Just Cause 3 is 53 GB

They're similar in scale, and 3 doesn't look THAT much better

I mean, Just Cause 2 wasn't ugly, but Just Cause 3 looks waaaay better, and I'm saying that as someone who's intimately familiar with the maxed PC version of JC2.

100% agreed with OP.

To be frank, I can't see myself ever spending $60 on any game that's less than 60GB. If I'm paying you $60 then I expect 60GB or more. No compromises, no compressesises. Alberto Ayynstein published a great paper that explains the theory of dollar to filesize. The conclusion was essentially $1 = 1GB. With that in mind, why would a studio ever want to employ efficient formats, bitrate, compression, and rendering techniques that makes their game take up less gigabytes? Why spend more development time and pay for more middleware licenses? What benefits are there in doing that?

Furthermore -- and this is not a criticism at The Koala Mission -- but any game that ships without a day one patch isn't a game worth my money. I'm sorry if you think there should be standards and quality and shit, but that's not what the kids are into these days. And I would know what the kids are into because I've got a lot of kid in me. I'm sorry if your studio wanted to do an archaic and outdated and and and and and and and an old way of shipping games, but to me, a large day one patch signifies that you get modern development. You get the kids. We live in different times, so an avoidable devaluation of the gaming experience is awesome. Day one patches tell me that you understand that a game is never done. Always be patching. A game is a snowflake; it is a unique and delicate product that shatters all that has come before it and all that is around it. A game should, in my opinion, only be reviewed after thirty or seventy nine patches, whichever works best for the publisher. That's the way the crunchy on the outside but soft in the middle chocolate chip cookie that is gaming crumbles. A game is an evolving product -- it's like... it's like your grandmother. Just think about it. There was a time when your grandmother probably thought "Horses are so fucking dope bruh". But then what happened? Ford came through and cars happened. Grandma went from horses to motor vehicles. Did your grandfather think "Wow, Mildred Flappers is into cars now, I'm out"? No. Your grandfather stuck with your grandmother. And that's why you're here today. You wouldn't be here without your grandmother evolving with time, so by that logic, games won't exist in the future if they don't have a large filesize and large day one patches. Nevermind the fact that a game is not a horse. A game should be a 60 to 900 GB file, and it should have sixty two day one patches. That's the future -- delaying the consumption time between a purchase and gameplay by practices that only benefit the bottomline of a business.

I've never believed and been a fan of the whole "There are people in parts of the world who love console gaming but are being turned off on it with each passing day because the practices and products that are being released by developers and or publishers are horrifically anti-efficient, anti-consumer, and anti-jump-the-fuck-in-and-just-play". To me, anyone who thinks that should just move to Anaheim. Anaheim has Disney and fast internet. Who would want to live anywhere other than Anaheim? What value is there in living in a different part of the world, and why should a company from Seattle or Tokyo be aware of the regional differences that exist among their userbase and thus make as much effort as possible to ensure the best gameplay and interactivity experience for their regionally diverse userbase? I'm sorry if you think that multi-billion dollar corporations have the capacity to hire an extra guy or two to look at a game before release and say "This ocean of digital shit is unplayable so we can't release it like this". I'm sorry but you just don't understand how hiring and paying someone in pineapple pizza and Mountain Dew Baja Blast works. Do you realize that by having to pay someone to ensure the consumer doesn't have a shitacular experience you are, in effect, engaging in an outdated practice of quality assurance? How do you not realize that by having people in your company to "look out" for the consumer you are being pro-consumer; a terrible and outdated practice in today's fast evolving and exciting world of marketing mistruths, misdirections, and Twitter misfires? Why not just work on a game, work on the day one patch, go to the gym and hit on that cute girl in the fantasstic Under Armour running tights, work on the deliberately misleading advertising and promotional campaign, and then cash as many checks as possible? That's how you do business -- you fuck over as many people as possible and then act dumb when people go "Hey wait a minute you guys say you're pro-consumer but everything your business is doing is the very definition of anti-consumer because it doesn't benefit me as a consumer of your product". And don't lie to yourself and say "Movies and apps and music and podcasts and TV shows and books are all available in a digital format yet the creators of those bits of entertainment are able to ship a complete product that isn't a broken and unplayable mess of half-truths and exorbitant file sizes". A game is interactive. Have you even SEEN Titanfall 2? I thought so. Games are way more complex than any other form of entertainment and everything else and as such should never be criticized for being distributed in a horribly inefficient manner, failing to work, and failing to deliver on pro-consumer practices.

Again, games are like snowflakes. Just open your mouth, stick your tongue out, and wait for it.
pat1.gif

This. If anything it makes me think worse of the game as it makes me question if the Inengine graphics don't look good enough to be used in place of pre rendered cutscenes. It also makes me worry about the level of effort that has gone into optimising the game, and how long the loading screens will be

It's not always about 'inengine graphics not looking good enough'. You can do things in a prerendered cutscene that aren't so simple to run in-engine.

And I dunno why so many people correlate large filesize with poor optimization, either.

pat1.gif

Lol, so games that just inefficiency pre-render cutscenes (like this game)
What does this even mean? Games are played on large, high definition TVs these days. Compression can be very noticeable. And at any rate you're operating under the assumption that this filesize is a direct result of the inclusion of uncompressed pre-rendered cutscenes, when that's neither confirmed nor so likely that it's a safe assumption. I mean, DOOM on PC is over 60 gigs.

DOOM. Is it all those pre-rendered cutscenes? lol.

From what I've seen, Gears 4 looks like it's got lots of unique assets and locales, and I'm just describing the single-player - there's still the entire multiplayer suite to consider as well.

Top Bottom