• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Holy...80 gigs??"

Petrae

I hope this is sarcasm. I haven't updated my HDD for years, and I don't want to. I'd rather save as much money as possible.

80GB for a game is just silly. I used to think 30GB was bad enough...

70GB for the Bioshock Collection has me no longer buying it. It's nuts. I'll just stick with the Gen7 versions. This gen has been really good at making me limit my purchases because I don't have the HDD space for them.

ViolentP

When I saw the Gears 4 50 to 80 gigs requirement i started drooling. I love it!!! Something about installing a game that requires 50+ gigs of space makes me feel like I'm really getting my money's worth.

Is this a subliminal psychological sort of thing? The more gigs the better. HDDs are so big now anyway so what's 80 gigs really? It sucks for those in AU and other bandwidth capped countries but here in 'Murica...MOAR GIGS! Who agrees? :D

This is a joke post, right?

My first thought when I see a 50GB+ game is "they probably didn't use very good compression"

It says nothing about the quality of the game and there's no reason to want bigger sizes

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Sure. But to those it matters to, those are things they could upgrade. As it stands for most, making those upgrades wouldn't matter if they can't tap into proper internet anyway. And this of course is just talking about fiber. Reasonable/good internet speeds exist well before we hit fiber levels, but most Americans aren't getting anything close to good internet even for copper systems.

I agree. Short version, for most of America, internet sucks :).

Theorry

Sure. But to those it matters to, those are things they could upgrade. As it stands for most, making those upgrades wouldn't matter if they can't tap into proper internet anyway. And this of course is just talking about fiber. Reasonable/good internet speeds exist well before we hit fiber levels, but most Americans aren't getting anything close to good internet even for copper systems.

I take it then that it is viewed as a utility in your country? This wasn't an option upgrade? Basically installing lines that these three companies call all use?

Yeah correct.

Is this a subliminal psychological sort of thing?
It is.

makes me feel like I'm really getting my money's worth.
It makes me feel negative because I think of sloppy work.

I do feel positive about it in large games like MMO's and the sorts. But it is still just a psych think. I remember a stupid very basic indy game that was a huge file size for what it did. And I am still jaw dropped by how small that game that is 300KB or something and looked amazing. A FPS sci fi PC game, from a German guy iirc.

jotun?

Uverse internet speeds am crey.

I'm not sure what "am crey" is supposed to mean, but my Uverse is pretty good...

5559565265.png

Still not a fan of unnecessarily-large game downloads though

My thought to huge filesizes is "what a hassle" or even "I'm going to have to clean the fridge sooner".

As for it being a factor that excites or makes one feel they're getting their monies worth. Isn't it like being hyped for a film because of it's budget or runtime? They're good for marketing but can actually mean very little or be a detrement (e.g. I turned a Children's book with good pacing into a 12 hour film trilogy filled with unnecessary subplots)

Games on PS3 were already using well over 10-15 gbs so not surprised this is becoming the norm. Glad disc formats can support the higher file sizes and the internet is becoming increasingly faster.

jotun?

Nice. How much do you pay for that? :)

I think they basically copied Google Fiber's pricing.

The breakdown is
- $70 Internet
- $49 TV
- $10 Extra TV box
- $19.70 Made-up fees and taxes
148.70 total

I think it's a 1-year contract and 3-year price lock

wojtasz

Banned
I miss 90s games such as quake which weighted 34Mb or duke nukem which was around 20Mb.
I have 135MB internet connection but havent seen psn going faster than 30Mb/s. The only service that uses whole of my broadband is steam.

On topic: I am the opposite. Huge small filesize games impress me more than just huge filesize games.

I remember Crysis Warhead (?), the expansion, looked better AND ran better than the first game. That solidified my feeling that Crysis could have been much better optimized.

Keep in mind the HD jump with it's audio and video taking up a lot of space.

I'm expecting this game to be an open world title with no CGI cut scenes if this game is 80 fucking gigs.

I'm not sure what "am crey" is supposed to mean, but my Uverse is pretty good...

5559565265.png

Still not a fan of unnecessarily-large game downloads though

That's dumb, are max speed here in Orlando is 45mbps with Uverse. Paying 25mbps

Vlaphor

I remember how I used to assign more value to Playstation 1 games if they came in the jewel cases that held multiple discs. Just felt like I was getting more for my money.

Now, in terms of Gears 80gb stuff, I don't mind the download, since I can usually get around 13mb a second on Steam and I bet Microsoft's servers should be fine in that regard. My issue is with the fact that I prefer to install new games on my SSD's, one of which is 250 and one that is 120 (I also have another 120 ssd, but that's a boot drive) and that none of the download services still make it easy to transfer games from one drive to another.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Just checked Internet for my area and UVerse is nowhere near NY State. Lol... Dammit! I'd be paying near what you pay for 100/100. Only about 10x slower. Lol.

ghibli99

My Witcher 3 install w/ all the DLC and expansions is like 70-80, IIRC. My SSD is nearly full because of it.

I have TWC 200Mbps (and I get about 240), but most downloads are limited by relatively slow servers.

moozoom

On the other side of the spectrum... do any of you ever feel the opposite way when playing a game that's 1 gig or a few gigs or even less than a gig? Let's use a AAA game for this example... a game you paid $50 for. Would you feel like you're not getting your money's worth if it was just a gig or two?

My answer to that question yes i most likely have felt that way subliminally. That's the key word; subliminally. I don't think I've ever pointed it out directly, if that makes any sense (probably not).

Your OP was already a bit sad, but this is even worse. I suppose you can't even touch retro games with a 10 foot pole - those sad, slimy games with ridiculous file sizes.

On the other side of the spectrum... do any of you ever feel the opposite way when playing a game that's 1 gig or a few gigs or even less than a gig? Let's use a AAA game for this example... a game you paid $50 for. Would you feel like you're not getting your money's worth if it was just a gig or two?

No, because this is stupid on both sides

as an example, Force Unleashed was like 31 gigs for the PC version.

agc

Seeing the file size makes my AT&T DSL cry (6Mbps / 150GB cap)

My lord, I didn't even know downloaded speeds could get that high. I average 3 MB/s on my shit bellsouth (or whatever company that purchased it) with a damn data cap.
Oh hey, bman, you have AT&T too as well. Bellsouth was working on fiber but when AT&T bought them, all those plans got thrown out.

When I saw the Gears 4 50 to 80 gigs requirement i started drooling. I love it!!! Something about installing a game that requires 50+ gigs of space makes me feel like I'm really getting my money's worth.

Is this a subliminal psychological sort of thing? The more gigs the better. HDDs are so big now anyway so what's 80 gigs really? It sucks for those in AU and other bandwidth capped countries but here in 'Murica...MOAR GIGS! Who agrees? :D

America is a bandwidth-capped country.

Top Bottom