• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Holy...80 gigs??"

lol...I love it! I never uninstall my PC games. I wanna hit double digit terabytes by 2020. Everything is backwards compatible too.

PS, it's only gonna get worse with Neo and Scorpio if they use 4k assets for games so get used to it!

zUxTAXs.jpg

I was already on the edge of irritated, but I'm pretty sure this thread will push me over the edge right into it if I stick around. I guess if you're going to champion something dumb, you may as well lean into it. Sorry to the 'Muricans with bad/capped internet connections in this thread.

I have a 120gb SSD and a 750GB HDD and even I think that 80GB is stupidly large.

Having to download 24gig day one updates on my xbox one was stupid too and I hate it.

In a world where streaming media is king it should be a crime for ISPs to have caps.

Netflix
Hulu
WWE Network
HBO GO
Amazon Prime video
The streaming of tv channels on their websites like Watch ESPN

how can ISPs still have caps? It's borderline criminal. I legit feel sorry for those of you that have to go thru that crap.

When I saw the Gears 4 50 to 80 gigs requirement i started drooling. I love it!!! Something about installing a game that requires 50+ gigs of space makes me feel like I'm really getting my money's worth.

Is this a subliminal psychological sort of thing? The more gigs the better. HDDs are so big now anyway so what's 80 gigs really? It sucks for those in AU and other bandwidth capped countries but here in 'Murica...MOAR GIGS! Who agrees? :D

Unless it's a id tech game, I usually have the opposite reaction. Makes me think it's going to be a shit port.

If I downloaded this, that would be 1/5th of my data for the entire month. For what it's worth, I also live in America.

I view huge file sizes as a huge pain with relatively little gain. I had always assumed games with insane file sizes were due to absolutely huge textures and to serve as a deterrent for pirates since P2P downloading a huge file would take ages.

Grimalkin

But if this game has a day 1 patch as big as the game I'm gonna go kill myself. The time spent downloading that patch would have been longer than me playing it.

I know, right?

I've got fast internet but a horrible bandwidth cap. These huge day 1 patches I am like "Fuck me" because the PSN downloads slow (even though I personally have fast internet) and these patches gobble up so much of my cap.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Not sure haha,

Ahhh! Yeah, U.S. Common internet speeds suck due to lack of fiber infrastructure at "The last mile", as well as most services still using communication across copper. I have 75/75 possible, could pay for up to 300/300 max for my home. Not the normal max for most of the U.S. Homes. So many discussions about why it is that way. Either way, makes 80 gigs painful unless you're downloading while not home.

Gamezone

Gold Member
My body isn't ready for the 20 GB multiplayer patch. Go multi disc this time, and save yourself another Halo MCC backlash.

Grimalkin

Unless it's a id tech game, I usually have the opposite reaction. Makes me think it's going to be a shit port.

If I downloaded this, that would be 1/5th of my data for the entire month. For what it's worth, I also live in America.

I view huge file sizes as a huge pain with relatively little gain. I had always assumed games with insane file sizes were due to absolutely huge textures and to serve as a deterrent for pirates since P2P downloading a huge file would take ages.

Your cap is 150GB more per month than mine. :(

But no it's not textures, those are a very small slice of the overall game size pie. It's going to be prerendered cutscenes and audio files.

Aces&Eights

I'm not too bad by 'Murica standards, sitting at around 50mps d/l. That said, I see these speed test things from Europe coming in and I cannot even wrap my brain around how fast it must be to download a movie, etc. I'd give my firstborn to the Google Gods if they brought Google Fiber to my town. (And she's pretty darn loveable, too)

In a world where streaming media is king it should be a crime for ISPs to have caps.

Netflix
Hulu
WWE Network
HBO GO
Amazon Prime video

how can ISPs still have caps? It's borderline criminal. I legit feel sorry for those of you that have to go thru that crap.

They're called lobbyists and they have infected our political establishment. They spend great deals of money to ensure they make even more great deals of money from the end user. All the while the politician is smiling his Crest 3-D white strips smile into the camera and telling us they are fighting corporate insiders! Greed ruins everything.

Shady859

My internet speed here in Ohio:

5020358630.png

Wrong side of the river bud :p

$33 a month TWC NKY, was $23 but my year promo ended. :(
5559493561.png

PSN still downloads at a turtles pace though. :/ At least digital buyers get to preload because nothing is worse than going to a midnight release then rushing home to a long install and massive day 1 patch that sends you to bed without even playing.

Grimalkin

Ahhh! Yeah, U.S. Common internet speeds suck due to lack of fiber infrastructure at "The last mile", as well as most services still using communication across copper. I have 75/75 possible, could pay for up to 300/300 max for my home. Not the normal max for most of the U.S. Homes. So many discussions about why it is that way. Either way, makes 80 gigs painful unless you're downloading while not home.

Yep, when I moved I went from 15Mbps as top possible speed but no data cap to 200Mbps top possible speed with shit ass data caps.

I would rather go back to 15Mbps and no cap but that's not an option.

Sephzilla

Netflix
Hulu
WWE Network
HBO GO
Amazon Prime video

image.php

OmegaDL50

When I saw the Gears 4 50 to 80 gigs requirement i started drooling. I love it!!! Something about installing a game that requires 50+ gigs of space makes me feel like I'm really getting my money's worth.

Is this a subliminal psychological sort of thing? The more gigs the better. HDDs are so big now anyway so what's 80 gigs really? It sucks for those in AU and other bandwidth capped countries but here in 'Murica...MOAR GIGS! Who agrees? :D

Not me. It doesn't necessarily result in a better game. It just is an indication that most of the texture assets are very large and the audio is uncompressed.

This sort of reminds of some folks who had the idea that multi-disk games in the 90's during the PSX era assumed because a game required more than one disc thought it had a massive world or more gameplay content. When in actuality it's just the assets used were too large to be stored on one physical medium. To them I say, look at Riven as a case in point.

Unless they manage to compress the data on the Blu-Ray, I just see a game being 80GB to be largely an inconvenience.

The current largest HDD for the XBO is 2TB factoring the Xbox One S console, which means a game taking up 80GB, but the majority currently have 500GB units, which an 80GB game on a 500GB Drive is 16% of the entire disk.

Sure the option exists for folks to use an external storage solution, but it shouldn't be expected of the user to buy more than what comes with the console to accommodate the ever increasing game sizes.

Then look at the perspective of digital purchasers. There are things such as bandwidth caps that exist. Some folks 80GB alone well beyond exceeds their monthly cap. So if the game is distributed in such a way that 50GB is on the Blu-Ray and they need to obtain the rest via a Day-One patch this presents an obvious issue.

Gears of War 4 may be an excellent game, but file size should never be representative of the quality one is going to receive.

I have unlimited GBs/month, but only a 1Mbps download speed, maybe 1.3Mbps if it's really screaming along. 80GB means finding a big chunk of space on my 250GB SSD and leaving myself at the mercy of the Windows 10 Store downloader for basically an entire day.

Theorry

Doesnt US has also alot of problems with a companies having a monopoly positions internet wise? So they charge and limit people how they want. Because people dont have another choice?

Your cap is 150GB more per month than mine. :(

But no it's not textures, those are a very small slice of the overall game size pie. It's going to be prerendered cutscenes and audio files.

Right, I originally had a little blip about Respawn justifying Titanfall's huge size with uncompressed audio in my post. I don't really consider cutscenes affecting the size anymore because they're often in engine now.

For fun, here's a screenshot of my internet at peak hours at an old apartment. We paid $50 a month for this shit.

There are plenty of people in the US that would dream of 75/75.

Honestly, until proper laws are passed mandating that internet is treated as a utility (as in, that it's regulated to protect its use, that proper infrastructure considerations need to be made for it, and ISPs aren't allowed to cap and strangle their customers with awful prices and limitations), the natural progression of internet advancement in the US is going to continue to crawl in most places.

I live 2 miles from beautiful fiber internet (brought into the area by the large tech company that I work for), but because that same two miles contains the line between one city and another, my only options are Charter and ATT (And ATT is more than 2x the price for half the speed), and the fiber will probably never be allowed to make it that extra distance due to contracts.

But the code is optimized beautifully.

Which you unfortunately can't tell by the size of the file.

shandy706

Doesnt US has also alot of problems with a companies having a monopoly positions internet wise? So they charge and limit people how they want. Because people dont have another choice?

Yep, only ONE option where I live. Fastest possible is 24/5....drive 2 miles down the road and you can get 100/10. No other option at my address while there's one a minute away. We don't have caps, and my house uses a TON of data a month..but I hate the slow connection..

emb

I have the exact opposite reaction op. I hear 80 gigs and think, 'ugh, will take longer to install it' and 'I will have to manage HDD space that much sooner'.

Similar for multiple discs. Always worried that I'll get deep into the game before I find out that disc 3 gives a read error and I have to go re-buy it.

Aces&Eights

Right, I originally had a little blip about Respawn justifying Titanfall's huge size with uncompressed audio in my post. I don't really consider cutscenes affecting the size anymore because they're often in engine now.

For fun, here's a screenshot of my internet at peak hours at an old apartment. We paid $50 a month for this shit.

Jesus Christ. It would be faster to just run to the cable company and write down all the 1's and 0's and then run back home and type them into your computer.

Darklor01

Yes. All accurate. This leads to the common feeling for those companies to not bother to upgrade to fiber or fix the ultimate break point where fiber goes back to copper at each house. They don't want to pay for the upgrade costs and do not feel they have to. No where else for the customers to go really to resolve the issue.

shandy706

I have the exact opposite reaction op. I hear 80 gigs and think, 'ugh, will take longer to install it' and 'I will have to manage HDD space that much sooner'.

174 games installed on my X1 and I'm finally reaching that point. Instead of "I'll need to manage it soon", I'm thinking "I need to buy a 4 or 5TB". I believe the X1 can support 2 external drives, so that's probably what I'll do next.

Darklor01

There are plenty of people in the US that would dream of 75/75.

Honestly, until proper laws are passed mandating that internet is treated as a utility (as in, that it's regulated to protect its use, that proper infrastructure considerations need to be made for it, and ISPs aren't allowed to cap and strangle their customers with awful prices and limitations), the natural progression of internet advancement in the US is going to continue to crawl in most places.

I live 2 miles from beautiful fiber internet (brought into the area by the large tech company that I work for), but because that same two miles contains the line between one city and another, my only options are Charter and ATT (And ATT is more than 2x the price for half the speed), and the fiber will probably never be allowed to make it that extra distance due to contracts.

Which you unfortunately can't tell by the size of the file.

There's that issue, but also, it would still fall apart speed wise if it still has to go through copper at your actual residence.

killatopak

5559526419.png

Notice I'm already faster than 78% of all the people in my country. It's that bad here. I pay $100 a month for this shit.

Theorry

Yes. All accurate. This leads to the common feeling for those companies to not bother to upgrade to fiber or fix the ultimate break point where fiber goes back to copper at each house. They don't want to pay for the upgrade costs and do not feel they have to. No where else for the customers to go really to resolve the issue.

Crazy. Here they installed it right away into our houses when they installed it in the street. Just to make the step easier for people to switch to fiber. I believe my old neighbour of 80 who doesnt have internet has fiber connection in her house haha.
But offcourse its a small country so easier to do overall. But the monopoly position really sucks. Here i can choose out of three wich offcourse helps with quality and improvements because there is competition.

There's that issue, but also, it would still fall apart speed wise if it still has to go through copper at your actual residence.

Sure. But to those it matters to, those are things they could upgrade. As it stands for most, making those upgrades wouldn't matter if they can't tap into proper internet anyway. And this of course is just talking about fiber. Reasonable/good internet speeds exist well before we hit fiber levels, but most Americans aren't getting anything close to good internet even for copper systems.

Crazy. Here they installed it right away into our houses when they installed it in the street. Just to make the step easier for people to switch to fiber. I believe my old neighbour of 80 who doesnt have internet has fiber connection in her house haha.
But offcourse its a small country so easier to do overall. But the monopoly position really sucks. Here i can choose out of three wich offcourse helps with quality and improvements because there is competition.

I take it then that it is viewed as a utility in your country? This wasn't an option upgrade? Basically installing lines that these three companies call all use?

Struct09

I'm more impressed with games that are surprisingly small. Like 3D World being 1700 MB. Makes them seem optimised and Tardis-like.

Same here. If size has any impact on how I feel about a game it's when they managed to take up very small space considering the games' size, Skyrim being another example.

Top Bottom