• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Holy...80 gigs??"

It's not about hard drive space, it's bandwidth.

When EVERYONE has UNLIMITED bandwidth and a reasonable download speed, then you can release an 80+GB digital only game. Not a moment before.

kromeo

Damn that sucks. Just come to The Netherlands. ;)

3742477655.png

I always see people from the rest of Europe and the US posting these insane speeds, in the UK I think only one provider even goes above 75mb and that's pretty limited where you can get it

I'm on the outskirts of London and I can't get faster than 35mb/s :(

When I was little I always thought that the most amazing games needed multiple discs. Now I salute those able to make the best games with the smallest size possible.

I'm not sure what "am crey" is supposed to mean, but my Uverse is pretty good...

5559565265.png

Still not a fan of unnecessarily-large game downloads though

94408-Ice-Cube-HUH-wtf-WHAT-THE-FUCK-4pAG.gif

Seriously...... what the hell man. I waited more than a decade just to get my speeds up to 35mbps from the 4mbps it was before.

entremet

And the 2TB XB1S version was a limited edition?!

But seriously, you want better graphics--it comes at a price.

It's not rocket science, brehs.

well, i wouldn't say i actually prefer big sized games for no particular reason, but i have a 2tb hdd that i use for games, so at the moment even 80gb games are no problem for me.

i can also download games pretty quickly (200mbits/25mbyte), and I never leave games on my hdd after i'm done playing them (unless it's multiplayer).

Jira

I'm expecting this game to be an open world title with no CGI cut scenes if this game is 80 fucking gigs.

That's dumb, are max speed here in Orlando is 45mbps with Uverse. Paying 25mbps

He lives in the heart of AT&T, he can get fiber directly to his house out there I'm sure.

80 gigs is pretty much a permanent turnoff for me. Size =/= quality. There are already too many middling games that demand too much space and bandwidth.

louiedog

Threads like this always remind me that just 15 blocks away there is gigabit fiber, but they're only expanding in the opposite direction for now. It's such a tease. At least the competition keeps my Comcast stable and unlimited which can't be said for a lot of the country right now.

n0razi

Titanfall was like 50gb (online only game on source engine with no cinematics)... i think 90% of it was just translated audio files

For the most part, the smaller the game is the better. I'm always pleased when I download some indy game and it's only 300mb.

Sometimes file sizes can be an indication of compressed audio and video which is always a bummer though. So when the Uncharted collection was only 50GB or so, that was disappointing as it meant that all the video and audio squeezed onto the original blu-rays was compressed and that sucks.

OmegaDL50

Explain this to me.

Devs opting to use a better compression for one thing. Or use better audio codecs. VORBIS sounds just as good as ADPCM if not better and is a fraction of the size.

Then if the game uses CGI then opt to use the in-engine renderer for cutscenes instead. There is multiple methods developers can employ to mitigate the size of the game bloating up while providing the same level of experience without impacting the user to need to use a larger storage medium.

Regginator

How do people get that transparent Ookla speedtest? Going to their site only gives me the basic desktop one without an option for a transparent one.

edit: Ah, found it

5559792444.png

low-G

You're delusional. The size of a game has zero to do with even graphical quality, let alone quality of the game. For all you know there's a lot of high res, barely compressed FMV.

I'm not sure what "am crey" is supposed to mean, but my Uverse is pretty good...

5559565265.png

Still not a fan of unnecessarily-large game downloads though

You know damn well that AT&T doesn't offer gigabit in a lot of markets.

OK, I need to go into Comcast and hand them my internet plan be be all...

Dcdu7Hw.gif

Comcast offers 2Gbps plans in some markets, but it's very expensive. In my market, it's $300 per month excluding $1000 in initial fees.

This perfectly sums up the issue...
http://gizmodo.com/why-americas-internet-is-so-shitty-and-slow-1686173744

I read about all kinds of things when joining IT, this does a nice job of summarizing.

Yep, good summary.

OmegaDL50

You're delusional. The size of a game has zero to do with even graphical quality, let alone quality of the game. For all you know there's a lot of high res, barely compressed FMV.

Yep. You could have a bloated 35GB game that is comprised of narrow corridors and minimal exploration (FFXIII for example), as opposed to a large sprawling open world game that is only 6GB (Skyrim without expansions, even with the add-ons it's still only 11GB)

Large file sizes being a misconception of the quality of a game is something that should have died years ago.

----

Off topic but, every time I see your name I'm reminded of this awesome NES game I played years ago, Low G Man.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I have unlimited fibre so I really don't care how big games are, but my 500GB SSD did winch a little.

hemo memo

Devs opting to use a better compression for one thing. Or use better audio codecs. VORBIS sounds just as good as ADPCM if not better and is a fraction of the size.

Then if the game uses CGI then opt to use the in-engine renderer for cutscenes instead. There is multiple methods developers can employ to mitigate the size of the game bloating up while providing the same level of experience without impacting the user to need to use a larger storage medium.

Yes but if it's easier/faster to release it uncompressed so they can meet the deadline, and work on the now standard day 1 patch, then they'll always chose that.

I have unlimited fibre so I really don't care how big games are, but my 500GB SSD did winch a little.
6ldc2.jpg

dLMN8R

FYI an 80GB install size does not mean an 80GB download. For example, Quantum Break on the Windows Store is around a 40-45GB download which decompresses into a 68Gb install.

Mr Git

I always see people from the rest of Europe and the US posting these insane speeds, in the UK I think only one provider even goes above 75mb and that's pretty limited where you can get it

I'm on the outskirts of London and I can't get faster than 35mb/s :(

The UK's internet is a bag of shite. I was positively ecstatic once I moved somewhere that got 2mb/s and an upload speed that was over 20kb/s. A friend lives about 3 miles away from me and still doesn't even get even half decent broadband. It's telling though when your government's initiative for "super fast broadband" means 25mb/s +.

-Horizon-

If I could get a wired connection then large game sizes like that wouldn't be a problem. But I can only download stuff through wifi and that, that is a crap shoot.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
How you gonna make an OT as American as fuck as this and not end with the "USA! USA! USA!" chant. Missed opportunity, OT. Missed opportunity.

Aces&Eights

Comcast offers 2Gbps plans in some markets, but it's very expensive. In my market, it's $300 per month excluding $1000 in initial fees.

That's just ridiculous, though. 300 bucks a month with a grand in set up costs? I pay 55 a month for about 50MB dl. It doesnt cost them anymore money to allow more throughput. Its just letting me get the 1s and 0s faster. Ugh, makes me angry. Once the old farts finally die off in Congress, hopefully, the new generation will get in and make Internet a utility. It's plain greed at this point. Absolutely no reas on to charge someone 300 a month to stream a movie or download large files quickly.

RedSwirl

I'm still trying to figure out how the fuck I'm going to pre-load Deus Ex on PC this weekend because I know it'll be 12 hours during which Steam will suck up ALL of my house's bandwidth. Even doing it overnight won't be enough. And I'm still not quite ready to uninstall DOOM from my SSD. American ISPs need to get with the fucking program.

The thing is, every console generation comes with an increase in the data sizes of games, but this is the first time when a lot of people are buying full AAA games digitally. Having to download Final Fantasy VII in its entirety on 1997 internet would've probably been insane too. Until ISPs get with it game publishers need to realize that not everybody has unlimited fiber internet. Hopefully if this wireless fiber shit get's off the ground this won't be as much of a problem.

I have a little bit of hope for Microsoft though. It is releasing a physical PC version of Quantum Break even though that game is 68 gigs. I wish some of them would just start shipping the games on 64GB flash drives or something. I know they're probably still more expensive to manufacture than DVD-ROMs, but would it really be that much more expensive than packing seven DVDs?! At least do it in the limited edition or something.

And the sizes of games themselves have often had little to do with the amount of actual content. Even back in the day when PS1 games were four discs, most of that was just pre-rendered video. It's the same today, a lot of games are big as fuck because of a few 1080p pre-rendered videos. I think Quantum Break handled that by giving people the option to stream the videos. I think devs should just do real time videos more often. Another reason is a lot of games have uncompressed audio in eight languages. Just let me pick which one I want to download.

From what I've seen, a well-compressed 2015-2016 game is probably somewhere between 20 and 30 gigs. Phantom Pain was 20 gigs at launch. The base Witcher 3 game was 20 gigs and with all the DLC and expansions I think it's still under 50. Those are huge games in terms of content, and Witcher 3's assets look amazing. I think the initial download for Watch Dogs is like 14 gigs.

One other thing I've been looking at is repacks -- pirate versions of PC games that have been compressed. They managed to get Quantum Break down to like 35 gigs. The official version of Max Payne 3 on PC is 35 gigs, there are repacks that are 10 gigs. They broke GTA V from 65 gigs down to 27. Rise of the Tomb Raider is 27 gigs on the Microsoft Store. There's a repack that's 13. They probably do all these by compressing the textures or removing all audio languages except one.

zeelman

I loved how Titanfall on PC took 50gb because it installed all the language packs. The full game with the DLC on Xbone is about 20gb with one language.

cyba89

Mario 3D World size being less than 2GB impressed me more than Gears 4's 80GB. Making a game overly huuuge isn't too hard.
Having a game taking up half of my SSD and three days to download isn't something I'm excited for.

FoxSpirit

I am honest, I'd be glad for a HD texture download for Overwatch. Screenshots just lack a bit of glory. Plus those character select screen closeups just smears it into you face.

dr_rus

The issue is that MS was unable to provide an option for the user to decide in which folder he wants to install the stuff from WinStore. This means that I'll have to install it on my SSD and that means that I don't have 80 gigs readily available there. If MS will somehow be able to provide an option of installing WinStore games into a folder of my choosing (note - not the folder of MS choosing on a different drive as they allow at the moment) then it won't be a problem.

Top Bottom