• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homebrewed Wii to Wii U transfers are possible

deleted

I installed the HBC way back with the Zelda savegame hack. Would that work with the wii-u to reinstall the homebrew channel?

It would be my perfect local machine, if I could have my Wii stuff on one partition of a USB-HDD and the Wii-U stuff on another partition of the same HDD. I took the Wii with me to play at a friends house back then all the time. Having no game-cases to take along would be really convenient.

Septimius

I installed the HBC way back with the Zelda savegame hack. Would that work with the wii-u to reinstall the homebrew channel?

It would be my perfect local machine, if I could have my Wii stuff on one partition of a USB-HDD and the Wii-U stuff on another partition of the same HDD. I took the Wii with me to play at a friends house back then all the time. Having no game-cases to take along would be really convenient.

You can't install HBC on WiiU's Wii.

EDIT: What's required to leave Wii in the state it's currently in when transfering to the WiiU?

Ah, my mistake, my understanding was the stuff that was already on the Wii memory itself was fully copied over.

Everything game I had on the Wii system internal storage copied over, only the games that had to be on the SD card cause they didn't fit in internal storage needed to be redownloaded. You do NOT have to redownload everything.

Mudkips

Banned
I may try this during lunch (or sometime tonight):

Take current SD card from Wii and copy to PC (SD ORIGINAL).

Disconnect my USB drive from my Wii (I think it's formatted as WBFS and only has my rips on it).

Run HBC and grab whatever updates it wants (why not?).

Do a full NAND backup via BootMii (I believe I have it via boot2). This means I need to set SD:/bootmii/bootmii.ini to have a delay (e.g., DELAY=5). I currently have AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU and DELAY=0.

Copy my NAND backup to my PC (SD NAND).

Hit up NUS Downloader and grab the latest shop and iOS62 (dunno why, but TunaLover said to).

Drop those WADs on the SD card and fire them up via a WAD manager. (Any tricks for slapping them on? Do I have to install them in specific iOS slots?)

Hit up the Wii shop and grab the transfarring tool. Run that sumbitch and let it do it's thing. Shove that into the Wii U and let that do it's thing.

Slap my NAND backup back on the SD card from SD NAND (if the transfarring tool wipes it) and NAND restore my Wii.

Revert my SD card back to its original state from SD ORIGINAL.

Hook up the USB drive and test Brawl or something and make sure my shit is still there.

Pack up the Wii and stick it somewhere until I need to handle my backlog (lol never gonna happen) or play something using Wavebirds.

Anyone see a problem with this plan?

FYI I realize that this results in me having two copies of my VC/WiiWare shit, but I'm keeping the Wii and am only transfarring to consolidate on Wii U as much as possible while maintaining one set of hardware for GC (and GC controller) compatibility.

Dartastic

I don't even know if I can access the store... I haven't updated my wii in forever. Argh. I'm gonna stick in this thread to figure out how to do this.

I may try this during lunch (or sometime tonight):

Take current SD card from Wii and copy to PC (SD ORIGINAL).

Disconnect my USB drive from my Wii (I think it's formatted as WBFS and only has my rips on it).

Run HBC and grab whatever updates it wants (why not?).

Do a full NAND backup via BootMii (I believe I have it via boot2). This means I need to set SD:/bootmii/bootmii.ini to have a delay (e.g., DELAY=5). I currently have AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU and DELAY=0.

Copy my NAND backup to my PC (SD NAND).

Hit up NUS Downloader and grab the latest shop and iOS62 (dunno why, but TunaLover said to).

Drop those WADs on the SD card and fire them up via a WAD manager. (Any tricks for slapping them on? Do I have to install them in specific iOS slots?)

Hit up the Wii shop and grab the transfarring tool. Run that sumbitch and let it do it's thing. Shove that into the Wii U and let that do it's thing.

Slap my NAND backup back on the SD card from SD NAND (if the transfarring tool wipes it) and NAND restore my Wii.

Revert my SD card back to its original state from SD ORIGINAL.

Hook up the USB drive and test Brawl or something and make sure my shit is still there.

Pack up the Wii and stick it somewhere until I need to handle my backlog (lol never gonna happen) or play something using Wavebirds.

Anyone see a problem with this plan?

FYI I realize that this results in me having two copies of my VC/WiiWare shit, but I'm keeping the Wii and am only transfarring to consolidate on Wii U as much as possible while maintaining one set of hardware for GC (and GC controller) compatibility.

So... Nand backup, let the shop update, transfer, then reinstall the nand backup.

Not sure why you had to draw it out ;) Yeah that would work fine.

Mudkips

Banned
So... Nand backup, let the shop update, transfer, then reinstall the nand backup.

Not sure why you had to draw it out ;) Yeah that would work fine.

Because every time I touch homebrew on the Wii it's a mess of tangled hair and spaghetti with regards to versions, cIOS stuff, etc., and I don't want to risk losing any functionality. Also, if this works others can follow the procedure with confidence.

blackflag

If all you want are your saves transfered, then do I have to do all of this or can I just move them to SD card and put it in the WiiU?

If all you want are your saves transfered, then do I have to do all of this or can I just move them to SD card and put it in the WiiU?

Saves are per console locked, at least some (most? all?) of them are so you need to do the transfer process.

You only need to go through the complicated steps above if you want to keep all of the saves/etc backed up on the regular Wii after the fact. Otherwise, just update your store and do the normal transfer stuff.

blackflag

Saves are per console locked, at least some (most? all?) of them are so you need to do the transfer process.

You only need to go through the complicated steps above if you want to keep all of the saves/etc backed up on the regular Wii after the fact. Otherwise, just update your store and do the normal transfer stuff.

Great, thanks!

Mudkips

Banned
I figured I'd try to just grab the shop update via the official update to save myself the hassle of updating the shop manually.

Error 32017.

So I just have to manually update the shop, right?

it would be hilarious if something like bannerbomb actually worked on wiiu

I'm surprised I haven't read about anyone trying this or any of the myriad other ways to softhack the wii. When I hacked my wii I used a copy of Tales of Symphonia and I'm wondering whether that would still work to install Homebrew Channel on the Wii U.

Probably wouldn't work but I would like to see what happens if someone tried.

EDIT: nvm, just found this thread. HBC doesn't work :( I really just want WiiMC for Wii U, but I guess that's not on the cards for now.

ZeroCDR

I managed to get this done yesterday, but not without some headaches. Kept getting hit with error 202011 when trying to start the SD card transfer on my Wii, no idea what was blocking it.

Didn't work until I formatted the Wii system memory, lost a few locked saves but I can deal. I got my VC purchases transferred just fine after that.

oatmeal

Banned
Crap. I did a NAND backup a long time ago. I'm sure i backed it up...but I can't remember.

Does anyone know what the NAND backup looks like on the computer? WHat is the folder called?

Crap. I did a NAND backup a long time ago. I'm sure i backed it up...but I can't remember.

Does anyone know what the NAND backup looks like on the computer? WHat is the folder called?

It's called nand.bin and is 512 MB exactly. When you dump it, it's on the root of your SD card. To restore the backup, put it back in the root as nand.bin.

JohngPR

Just install newer shop channel through your prefered method (except official update), I used the app WiiMOD (HBC Wii app), once installed you can download the transfer tool channel without problems, the channel includes IOS62 in the package, so you don't need install any extra IOS.

A million thanks. This really helped me out. :)

Eric C

Today I transferred my Wii VC games to my Wii U.

1. Wii U transfer app to SD card
  2. put SD card in Wii
  3. Wii transfer app & data transfer to SD card
  4. put SD card in Wii U
  5. SD card data transfer to Wii U
  • While both consoles stayed powered on and connected to the internet.
^ That just seems so unnecessarily complicated.

So glad the homebrew stuff was left untouched, now I don't have to reinstall it when I want to play my PAL import games.

farnham

Banned
So if i do the wii to wiiu transfer my precious hbc will stay in place right? I have far too many imported games to risk loosing them

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So if i do the wii to wiiu transfer my precious hbc will stay in place right? I have far too many imported games to risk loosing them
Your save files will be transferred over, so make sure you save backups if they're system-locked.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I did a wii to wii u system transfer with hbc still installed and it ended up bricking my wii (i turned off the system since it was stuck at the same percentage for over two hours, now the system will turn on with a green light but has no video output).

So should I just throw this thing into an electronics recycling bin somewhere or is there a way I can fix it?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I did a wii to wii u system transfer with hbc still installed and it ended up bricking my wii (i turned off the system since it was stuck at the same percentage for over two hours, now the system will turn on with a green light but has no video output).

So should I just throw this thing into an electronics recycling bin somewhere or is there a way I can fix it?

Did you have boot mii installed as boot2 or ios?

If the former, you should be able to make a bootable SD card and then reinstall a backup of your Wii (assuming you have one, which you should). If the latter, probably not.

(edit) If you're not sure, it depends on how old your Wii is. If it's an older model (release till the first year or two) and you installed HBC, it surely installed as boot2 and thus is recoverable. If later (wii lacks GCN ports especially) then it would have had to install as ios, no fixing a hard crash like that aside from contacting someone who can rewrite the nand for you (requires special hardware and soldering). That's assuming, again, you have a backup of your Wii's nand.

Did you have boot mii installed as boot2 or ios?

If the former, you should be able to make a bootable SD card and then reinstall a backup of your Wii (assuming you have one, which you should). If the latter, probably not.

ios sounds familiar, so I'm guessing this thing is boned. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom