• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
homefront2011-03-1500-dt55.jpg

Dem logs! Truly we are in the age of Dragons.

demolitio

Apparently Amazon didn't want me to stay up tonight to play this. It wouldn't finish processing the order and then it finally said it could take up to 2 hours for it to finish and give me the download link.

$39.99 is a good price though. :)

PC gaf day 1 ers, a few questions.

-how is the fov, can you change it? (always hard to tell from screens what the fov is till you play for yourself)

-do they mess with your mouse input? (acceleration/smoothing/aim assists and whatnot), and if so can you turn that off completely?

-How is performance on ati cards?
(hd4870 here, put into context there isn't a game out there really -except for crysis and metro and gta4- that it can't run maxed at 40-60 fps@1280x1024 2xmsaa)
Anyone with a similar card that has bought it?
I'm always weary about mutliplatform games at release.

-How elaborate is the server browser/filters?
Is there admin support? Can you host your own servers?

-How is the hit reg/latency atm?

-Does it have a proper spawn system? or do you get spawnkilled or even worse spawn randomly like in mw?

Thanks in advance :)
I'm tempted to pick this up but want to make sure that it's servicable before I do.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SneakyStephan said:
-how is the fov, can you change it? (always hard to tell from screens what the fov is till you play for yourself)

It's fully adjustable from within the game.

SneakyStephan said:
-do they mess with your mouse input? (acceleration/smoothing/aim assists and whatnot), and if so can you turn that off completely?

Mouse smoothing is on by default but can be disabled via .ini file. No aim assists that I saw.

SneakyStephan said:
(hd4870 here, put into context there isn't a game out there really -except for crysis and metro and gta4- that it can't run maxed at 40-60 fps@1280x1024 2xmsaa)

Runs fine, it's UE3 which will run on a pocket calculator at this point.

SneakyStephan said:

Server browser is good and yea you can host your own.

SneakyStephan said:

Fine.

SneakyStephan said:
-Does it have a proper spawn system? or do you get spawnkilled or even worse spawn randomly like in mw?

Seems to do a decent job of spawning you in a safe area.

Agree that the BC GC matches are too damn short!

Also I have a strange bug with the post game report type thing. It shows my level progression(i.e. lvl1 [][][][][]----------- lvl2) as going from 21 to 22 every time. I'm level 8 or 9 now and it has been the same every time. What gives? 360 version btw.

Rather enjoying the game despite this, haven't tried SP yet though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
MP matches are like five minutes long. Who thought that was a good idea?

Gaogaogao

SapientWolf said:
This might help:

For those curious, mouse acceleration in UE3 based games can be disabled by browsing to c:\users\yourusernamehere\my documents\my games\gamenamehere\gamename\configs folder, opening up a file called XXinput.ini with notepad or any other plain text editor, where the XX is an abbreviation or the game's name (so in this case HFInput.ini or Homefrontinput.ini), then scrolling down and setting bViewAccelerationEnabled=TRUE to false.
why the FUCK is this not an in game option in all unreal games that think for one second this is ok?

And then you wonder why some people say controller vs m/k is a matter of preference:\

No wonder with stuff like mouse smoothing, input lag or even worse mouse acceleration warping your mouse input in oh so many recent games =(

mxgt

Banned
Hm, game seems to be out on gamersgate.co.uk right now. I guess I'd still be blocked by Steam if I bought it though.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Sinatar said:
I hate arbitrary barriers in games, but this takes it to a new level.

*snip*

Yea, that little box there is impassable. What an obstacle, hooey.

Yes, but it says FRAGILE right on the box there. You might break something important if you jump over it. The devs are just saving you from insta-death and having to reload.

Like the Red Dawn reference at the football field.

SneakyStephan said:
PC gaf day 1 ers, a few questions.

Can be changed in in-game options!

Don't think there's a setting in-game, but as was mentioned earlier, you should probably do that .ini tweak. Mine was a little laggy last night (with VSYNC off), so I'm gonna try the .ini tweak when I get home.

Seems fine. I'm running everything at max at 1680x1050 on a Q9550, 4GB RAM, and ATI 5770. However, I was surprisingly getting some inconsistent performance last night, but my system has been having some issues, so that could be related.

Server browser would be perfect, IF it saved my filter options and if the "Slots Available" checkbox did anything. Seems to include full servers for me.

Honestly, seems great. Have never felt robbed of hits or anything. Had some players who seemed to insta-kill me, but maybe it was lag...

Haven't been spawn-killed yet, but the spawns do seem somewhat random, which is unfortunate. I wish there was a squad spawn system in place.

As for further MP impressions, just some notes:

-Most guns feel great. I already have some I like and don't like--particularly the M249, which I've yet to find useful and haven't really found anyone else using yet. The Diablo probably feels the best, but ACR is up there, too. Each one is unique and seems to have different recoil
-Speaking of recoil, I don't know how you could play this and say there isn't recoil. It's not ridiculous, but it's definitely there
-Ground Control is a blast. Each round is different due to different vehicles and spawns, and each situation might make a new class more valuable
-Ground Control is TOO SHORT! It really is a race to see who gets to them first, as that team will probably win that round. They need to slow down the counter--I wonder if this is server configurable?
-Snipers are a problem, but let's keep in mind not everything has been unlocked yet. With better BP unlock come better methods of spotting campers
-Battle Commander is damned fun and will probably be the only mode I play. The "cat and mouse" sub-game is great and definitely gets the enemy's attention. I've only been on a 2 star streak so far and got a permanent personal UAV. A few vehicles I've seen have gotten 5 star
-Really missing squad spawning, but it hasn't been a deal breaker
-Liking all the maps, for the most part. There is one factory/warehouse area that I don't really care for, but the others are fun
-Graphics are a mixed bag. Some primitive geography and models occasionally, and then you have some beautiful textures and the gun models themselves look great. There is something stilted about the way the characters move though--maybe it's the way they stand STRAIGHT up, don't have a sense of momentum/weight to them
-Sound is great, as well
-Haven't really found a UBER weapon yet that everyone uses--everyone is using a mix
-I completely forgot about the comm rose! Great little feature, reminds me of beloved BF2
-When you go prone, I don't think the barrel of your gun stays aligned with the crosshair. Minor, but bugs me every time I go prone

Overall, I wish the game were a TAD more "Battlefield" but it does feel unique and I can't wait to play again when I get off work. Sorry I didn't join anyone last night, was really getting a feel for the game.

From IGN's review " While the actual modes of Homefront's multiplayer offering are limited, I still found myself lost in how much fun I was having with it. "

I hate how little fun is weighted in reviews. Ive played so many great-looking, great-sounding, good controlling high rated borefest this gen, Im looking forward to getting lost in a bunch of fun.

TheApatheticOne said:
From IGN's review " While the actual modes of Homefront's multiplayer offering are limited, I still found myself lost in how much fun I was having with it. "

I hate how little fun is weighted in reviews. Ive played so many great-looking, great-sounding, good controlling high rated borefest this gen, Im looking forward to getting lost in a bunch of fun.

After reading Destructoid's review, I'm surprised at 5/10. They don't say many good things about the SP but have great things to say about the MP:

For all of the campaign’s missteps and missed opportunities, there is a silver lining for Homefront: its multiplayer. Perhaps I jumped the gun when I suggested that Kaos was napping while the FPS genre evolved; it was simply eyeing its multiplayer competition.

There are some games that feel like their multiplayer experience was tacked on, a simple matter of getting on the disc and the back of the box to sell “a few” extra copies. With Homefront, it feels like the opposite is true: we’ve wound up with a solid multiplayer experience, matched with a sloppy and under-developed campaign.

You'd think that would rate higher than 5/10. Oh well!

Yeah, with all that, Ive seen enough and heard enough positive things said that Im still very excited about leaving work today and going home to hopefully find my copy waiting for me. I have high hopes, tired of BLOPS currently.

Any PC players wanna test this out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz65z-dpEXE&hd=1

Just installed this game. There is almost no difference in FPS between high/med/low settings.
Mouse smoothing is enabled on this video. You need to disable it manually to get not "drunken" mouse ;)
Hardware: Intel Core i5-2500 / 8Gb / GeForce 470GTX / Win7 x64 / 1920x1080

Also, the Homefront site has updated. For some reason, some headers/images are in French...

But it does have some cool additions, like kills by weapon, although it's such a low count, I wonder if it's MP...? They also have community missions (which look to be updated weekly) to earn badges.

plc268

Steam stats:

Current Players/ Peak Today/ Game
7,107/ 7,107/ Total War SHOGUN 2
2,350/ 2,620/ HOMEFRONT

Hmm... I wouldn't have expected that. But, that number should grow for Homefront as people start getting into their games that didn't make it for the midnight release.

DaBuddaDa

plc268 said:
Steam stats:

Current Players/ Peak Today/ Game
7,107/ 7,107/ Total War SHOGUN 2
2,350/ 2,620/ HOMEFRONT

Hmm... I wouldn't have expected that. But, that number should grow for Homefront as people start getting into their games that didn't make it for the midnight release.

That's not surprising. Total War is one of the longest running RTS series out there with a very dedicated group of core, competitive players. They're the ones who will buy it and be online playing it hour 0. Homefront is a new IP, doesn't have a fan base of online players, and has a compelling single player that players frequently like to finish first before moving onto multiplayer.

Erasus

DaBuddaDa said:
That's not surprising. Total War is one of the longest running RTS series out there with a very dedicated group of core, competitive players. They're the ones who will buy it and be online playing it hour 0. Homefront is a new IP, doesn't have a fan base of online players, and has a compelling single player that players frequently like to finish first before moving onto multiplayer.

I think Steam stats are single-player too...

Haklong

Mr. Snrub said:
Any PC players wanna test this out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz65z-dpEXE&hd=1

Also, the Homefront site has updated. For some reason, some headers/images are in French...

But it does have some cool additions, like kills by weapon, although it's such a low count, I wonder if it's MP...? They also have community missions (which look to be updated weekly) to earn badges.

Seems like they locked the FPS at around 62. Mass Effect 2 did this also.

Blog explaining Battle Commander in detail:

The beauty of Battle Commander is that it makes large scale warfare personal. It rewards players for pursing vendettas – how many times in an FPS have you set yourself that personal challenge of taking out the one enemy who seems to be decimating you and your team? Battle Commander supports this basic revenge instinct with escalating rewards to create some amazing emergent scenarios in the match.

Killstreak
Triggers when an infantry gets 3 kills in a row without dying
1 Star: 3 kills in a row, 2 hunters assigned to target, target receives a bonus to his health
2 Stars: 5 kills in a row, 4 hunters assigned to target, target receives personal UAV bonus
3 Stars: 8 kills in a row, 6 hunters assigned to target, target receives a bonus to his maximum sprint speed
4 Stars: 11 kills in a row, 8 hunters assigned to target, target receives a bonus to his weapon’s damage
5 Stars: 15 kills in a row, 12 hunters assigned to target, target receives enhanced UAV (ability to see enemy position through walls as the UAV sweep is active. “WallHack”)

Vehicle Killstreak
Triggered when a vehicle get 3 kills in a row without getting destroyed. Kills from the secondary seat count towards the total.

1 Star: 3 kills in a row, 2 hunters assigned to target, vehicle gets a faster recovery from EMP ability
2 Stars: 7 kills in a row, 4 hunters assigned to target, vehicle receive personal UAV bonus
3 Stars: 11 kills in a row, 6 hunters assigned to target, vehicle receives a bonus to his weapons damage
4 Stars: 15 kills in a row, 8 hunters assigned to target, vehicle gains auto-repair ability
5 Stars: 20 kills in a row, 12 hunters assigned to target, vehicle receives enhanced UAV (ability to see enemy position through walls as the UAV sweep is active. “WallHack”)

Recon Drone Streak
Triggered when a recon drone marks 5 targets in a row without getting destroyed

1 Star: 5 marks in a row, 2 hunters assigned, drone receive personal UAV bonus
2 Stars: 15 marks in a row, 4 hunters assigned, drone receives bonus to its health
3 Stars: 25 marks in a row, 6 hunters assigned, drone receives bonus to its movement speed
4 Stars: 35 marks in a row, 8 hunters assigned, drone receives infinite battery ability
5 Stars: 45 marks in a row, 12 hunters assigned, drone receives enhanced UAV (ability to see enemy position through walls as the UAV sweep is active. “WallHack”)

Drone Killstreak
Triggers when a drone (any of the 3 combat drones) gets 2 kills in a row without getting destroyed

1 Star: 2 kills in a row, 2 hunters assigned to target, drone receive personal UAV bonus
2 Stars: 4 kills in a row, 4 hunters assigned to target, drone receives bonus to its health
3 Stars: 7 kills in a row, 6 hunters assigned to target, drone receives infinite battery ability
4 Stars: 10 kills in a row, 8 hunters assigned to target, bonus to its movement speed
5 Stars: 13 kills in a row, 12 hunters assigned to target, vehicle receives enhanced UAV (ability to see enemy position through walls as the UAV sweep is active. “WallHack”)

Nemesis Mission
Triggers when a player is killed twice in a row by the same player.
This mission is for the player seeking revenge only, the nemesis is not notified. This mission doesn’t escalate or provide ability bonuses

Spawn Camper Mission
Triggers when a player gets several spawn kills in a short time frame (2 kills in 60 seconds).
The mission doesn’t provide any bonuses or follows the star escalation level but does escalate in the number of hunters assigned to the spawn campers.
2 kills: 1 hunter
3 kills: 2 hunters
4 kills: 3 hunters
5 kills: 4 hunters
6 kills: 5 hunters

Cool, didn't know about the Nemesis and Spawn Camper missions. And just found out about the recon drone one last night, haha.

plc268

DaBuddaDa said:

Yea, I think I underestimate the draw of the Total War series simply because I don't care for it much.

Garjon

Mr. Snrub said:
After reading Destructoid's review, I'm surprised at 5/10. They don't say many good things about the SP but have great things to say about the MP:
You'd think that would rate higher than 5/10. Oh well!
I wonder how long it'll be before we start getting games consisting only of multiplayer for £40. Judging from what I've seen, heard and read, this game might as well have not included a single player campaign (might be a bit harsh, but it is the reason why I'm going to wait for a price drop on this one). In all honesty, I'd probably have paid ~£25 if they had put all their efforts into the MP with more modes etc. As great as the MP looks, I am disappointed in the lack of content available. And then there's the online pass crap.

Haklong said:
Seems like they locked the FPS at around 62. Mass Effect 2 did this also.

Hmm, I don't know. It's definitely not as optimized as it could be, though. Reading this thread on the forums and when looking at the ground, FPS spikes to 100ish, but on monster systems they're getting bad performance.

Haunted

Ok, someone give it to me straight. I'm not interested in comparisons with the best out there, just tell me how the SP campaign holds up against other B-tier titles.

You know
Rainbow Six Vegas
Jericho
Area 51
Timeshift
Sniper
Singularity

etc. etc.

Haunted said:
Ok, someone give it to me straight. I'm not interested in comparisons with the best out there, just tell me how the SP campaign holds up against other B-tier titles.

You know
Rainbow Six Vegas
Jericho
Area 51
Timeshift
Sniper
Singularity

etc. etc.
Well I've played RB6, Area 51, and Timeshift campaigns and it's better than them. Story and atmosphere are far better.

Haunted

Heavy said:
Well I've played RB6, Area 51, and Timeshift campaigns and it's better than them. Story and atmosphere are far better.
264otx2.jpg

That's pretty surprising from the stuff I've seen initially. Thanks for the answer. :)

edit: hot damn you lazy bastard didn't bother to downsize your avatar on your own, now I look bad. :eek:

I mean the gameplay is pretty standard fare and about the same as those games, but the setting, story, and scripted sequences are far more interesting.

Don't buy the game for the single-player, though. It's like a 5 hour game.

sk3tch

Garjon said:
<snip>. In all honesty, I'd probably have paid ~£25 if they had put all their efforts into the MP with more modes etc. As great as the MP looks, I am disappointed in the lack of content available. And then there's the online pass crap.

While I am generally against the online pass system, at least this games implementation is reasonable. I think it is more than fair that they allow you to play up to level 5 in MP. That gives you enough time to test it out/feel it out prior to "investing" into using your online pass. That's the frustration I have with EA and other implementations - to get online you have to put in your code straight away. This burned me with Dead Space 2 as the MP was horrid so when I sold the game I lost the value of that unused online pass.

I did notice, however, that NFS: Hot Pursuit gave a 1 day trial for online. So maybe EA has changed their stance...which is good. As long as I can try before I redeem, I don't worry about the online pass that much. Especially considering games like BF:BC2 have given me hundreds of hours of entertainment.

Haklong

Mr. Snrub said:
Hmm, I don't know. It's definitely not as optimized as it could be, though. Reading this thread on the forums and when looking at the ground, FPS spikes to 100ish, but on monster systems they're getting bad performance.

Weird. I'm running two 470 GTX SLI and I my FPS stays at around 60 but never goes above 62. After trying it out like that for a bit and getting annoyed at the tearing I switched vsync on and it stays at 60 with the occasional small dip.

Top Bottom