• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

My 360 copy was posted this morning, if extremely lucky I will see it tomorrow and if not, thursday is a high chance like normal :D

Was there a 360 gaf tag made for Homefront?

Haunted

Heavy said:
I mean the gameplay is pretty standard fare and about the same as those games, but the setting, story, and scripted sequences are far more interesting.

Don't buy the game for the single-player, though. It's like a 5 hour game.
Yeah, I'll probably wait for some ridiculous $10 deal in a couple weeks.

Heavy said:
I mean the gameplay is pretty standard fare and about the same as those games, but the setting, story, and scripted sequences are far more interesting.

Don't buy the game for the single-player, though. It's like a 5 hour game.
owch, for real?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
IGN review was pretty well done/ I think people tend to forget that this is a brand new IP in a genre of gaming juggernauts and the review scale goes from 0-10 not 5-10. A 7 is a very solid score and great for a brand new IP in such a competitive genre.

EDIT: Although I hate that he failed to mention Battle Points, that is a HUGE part of the multiplayer experience.

DaBuddaDa

KAL2006 said:
So how is the campaign compared to COD, MoH, Killzone 3 and etc.
It could have been called "Call of Duty: Homefront" and released in 2008. I beat it on normal in 5 hours pretty much on the dot.

styl3s

Finally got my copy, fucking gamestop.. i will never in my life shop there ever again i pre-ordered this game like 2 months ago and paid in full so i get there and the guy is like you don't have it pre-ordered, im like check my rewards account it clearly shows i have it pre-ordered so i had to come home and dig for the ticket, i found it and went back and the asshole had the balls to try and tell me it wasn't for this store when it clearly showed that stores number on the ticket so he had to call a manager into work

long story short gamestop can kiss my ass i will never in my life step foot in there again, i don't know if the guy was just a prick and was trying to cheat me out of 65 bucks or if he thought i shit in his cereal this morning.

from now on it's amazon or bestbuy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Not why why anyone wouldn't go Amazon.

Got my 360 copy via UPS. Installing now.

styl3s

Bboy AJ said:

The UPS guy in my area never shows up till about 6pm, it's not that im impatient it's just im never home when he comes and this guy like to throw packages instead of walking 10 feet from his truck to the porch, ive seen the guy toss the shit out packages on my neighbor and when i ordered lost S1-5 on BR from a gold box deal i got home and 3 cases were broke and 2 had all the disc out of the holder and the box was dinged, clearly i fell victim to his rage filled throwing.

isn't the first time, we got the last UPS guy fired for doing it, is it just that i have bad luck? or is this throwing some kind of game in the UPS community? the mail lady (USPS) wont even leave packages near the mailbox or in the mailbox she will personally walk it up to your door, why can't this prick do it? its not like he gets paid more or less for walking or throwing.

Bboy AJ said:

I dont know anymore. With the constant 10-20 dollar credits and .99 release date delivery, no tax (for me at least), usually 1-5 dollars cheaper on top of that, and great customer service... why go anywhere else?

I did one time.... ONE time I cheated on Amazon, and that was for MvC3 with the Capcom store and those that did the same will know how badly that went. Never again.

My copy is sitting at home waiting, just need this stupid work day to be over!

styl3s said:
Finally got my copy, fucking gamestop.. i will never in my life shop there ever again i pre-ordered this game like 2 months ago and paid in full so i get there and the guy is like you don't have it pre-ordered, im like check my rewards account it clearly shows i have it pre-ordered so i had to come home and dig for the ticket, i found it and went back and the asshole had the balls to try and tell me it wasn't for this store when it clearly showed that stores number on the ticket so he had to call a manager into work

long story short gamestop can kiss my ass i will never in my life step foot in there again, i don't know if the guy was just a prick and was trying to cheat me out of 65 bucks or if he thought i shit in his cereal this morning.

from now on it's amazon or bestbuy.
I hope the magazine rack was reoriented horizontally.

I should be getting mine delivered to me from Amazon any moment now.

CAW

A post of mine from the [Canada] Gaming Deals Thread (not sure if it's also open to American's):

Just now on the Xbox LIVE dashboard I got 6 months of Xbox LIVE gold for $24 CAD. It's a Homefront 6 for the price of 3 (3 free months) deal going on. It also comes with a Homefront avatar helmet.

Seemed like a good deal!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Look what just showed up. :)

download.jpg

distrbnce

Banned
Just wanna report in, I pre-ordered on OnLive, the first game I've bought with the service (though I've appreciated all the 30 minute trials they have).

It was a pretty nice experience. I booted up at 11:01 and went straight to multiplayer, which worked pretty great. Just me and a bunch of other lvl 1-4 dudes. I almost made it to 4 before I switched to Single Player, which also ran pretty great. There were a few hiccups, but overall a pretty awesome experience. I was never kicked out of the game, just sometimes got some video compression... (I'm thinking K&L2 is probably the best game to play on the service due to this lol)

Anyway, today I received the promo code for my free OnLive console. It was $9.99 for 2 day shipping and $19.99 for overnight. I would say I can't wait to get it, but I did choose the 2 day option...

I REALLY can't wait to get back to the game after work though. Anyone else playing on OnLive? I need a friends list! I'm distrbnce there too.

EDIT: What's extra great is it would just take me a minute to boot up the game here at work... if only I could guarantee some privacy...

EDIT2: Oh yeah, and the time it takes to load after dying (SP) sucks even on OnLive... not sure what the excuse is there, must just be the programming.

U2NUMB

Not sure if it has been mentioned but it seems Best Buy was given a very small amount of those free headsets. So in place they are giving away a Turtle Beach XLC headset. In the end it is far better than the very cheap one they originally were going to give away.

Just a heads up to anyone that wanted the Homefront themed free headset.. I doubt it will be there when you pick up the game.

Side note .. have not played the game yet but I must say both front and back art design and layout of this games box are well done. Looking forward to playing later.

TheApatheticOne said:
I dont know anymore. With the constant 10-20 dollar credits and .99 release date delivery, no tax (for me at least), usually 1-5 dollars cheaper on top of that, and great customer service... why go anywhere else?

I did one time.... ONE time I cheated on Amazon, and that was for MvC3 with the Capcom store and those that did the same will know how badly that went. Never again.

My copy is sitting at home waiting, just need this stupid work day to be over!

I almost always get my games from amazon but this time I went with GoHastings.com. They had a pricing error for Homefront a few months back that allowed me to checkout for $29.99. Couldn't pass it up, but the downside is they usual usps to ship with a 2-10 buisness day time window :/

jbpaz

I've been reading a lot of these reviews and honestly, It has me thinking about cancelling my pre-order when I go pick it up later on, but before I do, I need to know someones opinion on this. Is it worth the purchase for just the multiplayer and how well does it stand against BC2?

Garjon

sk3tch said:
While I am generally against the online pass system, at least this games implementation is reasonable. I think it is more than fair that they allow you to play up to level 5 in MP. That gives you enough time to test it out/feel it out prior to "investing" into using your online pass. That's the frustration I have with EA and other implementations - to get online you have to put in your code straight away. This burned me with Dead Space 2 as the MP was horrid so when I sold the game I lost the value of that unused online pass.

I did notice, however, that NFS: Hot Pursuit gave a 1 day trial for online. So maybe EA has changed their stance...which is good. As long as I can try before I redeem, I don't worry about the online pass that much. Especially considering games like BF:BC2 have given me hundreds of hours of entertainment.
I think it would be a better business decision if they did allow you to ply it before they disabled MP, a lot of people buy second hand so they can see what the game is like - who knows, they might buy it day one next time.

On another note, how many companies actively use this online pass thing nowadays?

dustin

Neo Member
YOU'RE JUST A GUERRILLA FIGHTER IN AN ARMY FULL OF NORMAL PEOPLE. YOU DON'T HAVE THE BEST WEAPONS

HERE, TAKE THIS TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR LIGHT MACHINE GUN AND AN M4 WITH AN ACOG SCOPE AS YOUR SIDEARM

edit
despite how much the actual game differs than what we were described to in various dev diaries, i'm really loving it so far.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Multiplayer is pretty fun, when the framerate holds up. Homefront, I like you, but you don't look good enough to drop under 60fps on my PC.

EndersAres

Neo Member
I finished the sp in a little over three hours. It's not very good. There isn't a single point in the game that feels immersive. Maybe its a been there done that with the police state thing like in half life 2 but it's not done very well. You can tell they took some inspiration from cod, except they dont pull off the ridiculous moments as well as that series does. They pull you into the resistance and three hours later you are doing a dumb boss fight and the game ends. I played the mp for an hour or so and wasn't really digging it at all. I will stick with what I'm currently playing. It felt like cod with badly done vehicles and some battlefield in there. The guns just felt clunky to shoot for me. I turned off the mouse smoothing and adjusted the sliders available and it was still feeling unusual.

tenz0r

Garjon said:
On another note, how many companies actively use this online pass thing nowadays?

So far I only know of THQ and EA doing the online pass, I think Sony did it with Socom Fire Team Bravo 3 for the PSP also, but don't recall any other Sony titles doing it.

SapientWolf said:
Multiplayer is pretty fun, when the framerate holds up. Homefront, I like you, but you don't look good enough to drop under 60fps on my PC.

Yeah, there's no reason this shouldn't be 60+ fps on a decent/good PC. I'm wondering if there's just one setting that is the culprit...one guy said high/med/low doesn't seem to make a difference.

U2NUMB said:
Not sure if it has been mentioned but it seems Best Buy was given a very small amount of those free headsets. So in place they are giving away a Turtle Beach XLC headset. In the end it is far better than the very cheap one they originally were going to give away.

Just a heads up to anyone that wanted the Homefront themed free headset.. I doubt it will be there when you pick up the game.

I would have to disagree. The XLC headset sits on your ears rather than over them which end up being uncomfortable after an hour or so. They're both stereo and cost about the same $20-25.

tenz0r said:
So far I only know of THQ and EA doing the online pass, I think Sony did it with Socom Fire Team Bravo 3 for the PSP also, but don't recall any other Sony titles doing it.

Yeah, only those three companies are using the online pass right now.

Cyberia

Eurogamer Review: 6/10

Taken as a whole, the online action is just enough to balance out the mediocrity of the single-player campaign. But, ironically, Homefront's place in the FPS genre is an inversion of its own narrative fantasy. In the game's fiction, Korea is the underdog that takes on the American giant and wins; in reality, Homefront similarly hurls everything it has at the FPS behemoths in its path, but can barely scuff their armour.

Homefront floats in the limbo between "not bad" and "pretty good", and is hamstrung by a single-player element that feels like a half-hearted obligation. What's most disappointing is that Homefront wanted so much to join COD and Battlefield at the top of the genre, but has ended up as merely a weekend timewaster for players waiting for the next shooter fix.

SeanR1221

Reviews have me second guessing this game too, but I ordered from Amazon so it looks like I'm stuck. Returning to Amazon is a pain IMO.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, there's no reason this shouldn't be 60+ fps on a decent/good PC. I'm wondering if there's just one setting that is the culprit...one guy said high/med/low doesn't seem to make a difference.

Probably SSAO, that usually kills framerate in UE3 games.

I was unsure of the game at first but no matter what it reviews at or how much fun I have I got the game for free and it allowed me to get an OnLive TV box for half off so I'm happy regardless.

Yikes. Looks like the embargo was on the bad reviews!

Gonna dump a few more hours into MP later today, will have some more impressions. Haven't touched SP yet.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Just played through the SP, and Kaos, I am disappoint. Four hour campaign? Really, a FOUR HOUR campaign for such a charged story with the writer from Red Dawn and Apocalypse Now?? Seriously, that's just wasted potential right there. And the other issue is that the game VERY RARELY explored the scale and scope of this invasion and occupation. The environment design was very "open" while still managing to feel claustrophobic, but not in a good way. I got no sense of the continued suburban landscape. And no city fighting either? Seriously, it's all very narrow, and it's a shame too.

doomed1 said:
Just played through the SP, and Kaos, I am disappoint. Four hour campaign? Really, a FOUR HOUR campaign for such a charged story with the writer from Red Dawn and Apocalypse Now?? Seriously, that's just wasted potential right there. And the other issue is that the game VERY RARELY explored the scale and scope of this invasion and occupation. The environment design was very "open" while still managing to feel claustrophobic, but not in a good way. I got no sense of the continued suburban landscape. And no city fighting either? Seriously, it's all very narrow, and it's a shame too.
SP Length is a huge problem in these types of games. There is so much focus on MP now that the SP is more of an afterthought.

sk3tch

Any of you hardcore BF:BC2 guys in here? Please tell me you are loving the MP. That's the main reason I bought this thing. I just received it from UPS (360), installed it, and now I'm waiting to get done with work and put the baby to bed so I can play.

Positive reviews from BF:BC2 nuts would help. :)

desu

Just played for a short while but uhm my earlier mentioned concern stays, heavy ground vehicles are totally pointless. You just instant buy a rocket launcher and then bomb them to hell, its just wayyyy too easy.

Also game is fucking fast o_O.

Top Bottom