• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Good. They deserve it. They ignored basic fundamentals of MP game design, and it shows while playing. Yet, it would be easy to fix their mistakes and bring the MP from a poor level to mediocre.

It's a shame . . . I really like John Milius.

That sounded sort of positive, wouldn't offer them jobs if he thought they sucked.

But yeah... DICE probably shouldn't thump its chest too confidently after the MOH thing. Or hell, every BF launch I can remember.

SirButterstick said:
Good. They deserve it. They ignored basic fundamentals of MP game design, and it shows while playing. Yet, it would be easy to fix their mistakes and bring the MP from a poor level to mediocre.

How so?

Garjon

Sethos said:
They are so petty. Why not just smile, congratulate them and move on?
I think the same guy did this for KZ2. His complaints were absolutely ridiculous as well. Is it some sort of EA PR strategy to badmouth the competition as much as possible?

TimeLike

I was really let down. It's wayyyy too short. Oh I can't be bothered with fighting the enemies because I'm in the corner reading old newspaper clippings.

There were lots of glitches. Two big ones: Instead of following the comnmand to "regroup" I was looking around for newspapers like a true soldier of the resistance and I guess I went too far and couldn't get back to the NPCs so I had to completely restart the checkpoint.

Saw enemies popping into existence right in front of me. Their spawn points were hidden inside buildings so if you move fast enough you can see them either spawn directly or they're just standing with their faces up against a wall.

Totally forgot most of the game already. Bulletstorm is a few weeks old and I remember most of its campaign.

Mr. Snrub said:

Like I said, and this of course is just my opinion, but it feels like more people are camping than spending time going for the objectives in Dominat . . . errr, I mean Ground Commander mode. This is a game that totally rewards just sitting back and racking up kills. There's no incentive to grab the control points when you know you're gonna step out of cover, take two hits and die.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
DaBuddaDa said:
Your logic is faulty. About 50% of Call of Duty players never play multiplayer ever. Single-player campaign and you're done. I am asking why you would assume over 90% of people who purchase Homefront will try the multiplayer while barely 50% even try Call of Duty's, a franchise that is widely known specifically for it's strong multiplayer?

I find it hard to believe that 50% of CoD players never go online. Activision themselves said it was somewhere between 30 and 40%. Even still, perhaps his 90% was mere hyperbole, but I think it's safe to say that most players will spend the majority of their time in MP.

Sethos

Banned
SirButterstick said:
Like I said, and this of course is just my opinion, but it feels like more people are camping than spending time going for the objectives in Dominat . . . errr, I mean Ground Commander mode. This is a game that totally rewards just sitting back and racking up kills. There's no incentive to grab the control points when you know you're gonna step out of cover, take two hits and die.

So, there's campers? Damn, never encountered those before.

sk3tch

Well, perhaps he was misunderstood? He just now tweeted:
https://twitter.com/#!/demize99/status/47750920209039360:
#sigh I think KAOS is full of talented people. Quit twisting my words people.

I think his wording was off a bit, maybe?

I.E.

tweet 1) ...We are hiring BTW Kaos...
tweet 2) I wouldn't hire people I think suck.

Maybe in 2 he is saying he would hire them because he thinks they're pretty good but his wording is just strange, especially in sequence.

Fox318

Jeez am I the only one enjoying this game?! It runs perfectly on max setting on my computer, looks great, sounds great, I'm enjoying the single player so far. I have played for 5 hours and I haven't beaten the game yet. I've yet to touch the multiplayer but so far I'm loving this.

I don't get the double standards from reviewers.
Big IP : 4-5 hour singleplayer, no dedis? A okay 9/10

New IP: LOL singleplayer 5/10?

Also stay classy DICE...
It's funny to see them rag on kaos and mention that they should stick to their modding.
Anyone who played 1942 and DC mod and then bought the original vietnam will know how hard they sucked at trying to copy stuff like jets and helicopters.

Still waiting for that bf game that isn't put to shame by desert combat dice, what's keeping you?

Or my favorite : we think trauma studios rocks , we will employ them to work on our games!
Only to never hear from any of those guys again.

Competition from free mod team? snuff it out.

sk3tch said:

I.E.

Maybe in 2 he is saying he would hire them because he thinks they're pretty good but his wording is just strange, especially in sequence.

Isn't that what I said? Come on people. Strange wording is the norm these days.

Either way, it's shitty timing.

commish said:
I find it hard to believe that 50% of CoD players never go online. Activision themselves said it was somewhere between 30 and 40%. Even still, perhaps his 90% was mere hyperbole, but I think it's safe to say that most players will spend the majority of their time in MP.

Sure, those who stick with the game will spend most of the time online. That makes sense. Doesn't say anything about the big chunk of people who buy games for their campaigns, which is quite a large group of people. No matter what the "it's all about MP, who cares about SP" group says.

It's crazy how a meaty campaign is the oddball these days. I was surprised when Bulletstorm kept going, as I've become accustomed to much shorter, and thinner, games.

Liberty4all

Banned
SirButterstick said:

As others have said that will change once people start using sentries and spotting. Spotting makes a huge difference.

DaBuddaDa

commish said:
I disagree, I think it's safer to say that maybe, maybe 50% of players will spend the majority of their time in multi-player, which is a stretch considering Homefront is not a known property that excels in multi-player, coupled with THQ's marketing focus of the single-player campaign. The multi-player therefore should not be valued any higher than the single-player in an evaluation if you're aiming to judge the game based upon the "majority's experience."

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
sk3tch said:

I.E.

What makes it really gauche is that DICE is the ones that fired them all in the first place. DICE tooted and booted Trauma Studios, and KAOS was formed from the remnants.

SirButterstick said:

Except if you're not constantly on the move, there's plenty of attacks from the air to get the opposition moving. And if you're playing with a few people that are making an effort to work as a squad, camping is pretty well neutered. Yeah, there will still be spots where a camper can lie in wait, but if you're paying attention after the kill it's pretty easy to get a bead on the camper.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SapientWolf said:
What makes it really gauche is that DICE is the ones that fired them all in the first place. DICE tooted and booted Trauma Studios, and KAOS was formed from the remnants.
Why did they get fired? Also, it was probably for the best as they are dodging getting it in the ass from EA.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
DaBuddaDa said:
I disagree, I think it's safer to say that maybe, maybe 50% of players will spend the majority of their time in multi-player, which is a stretch considering Homefront is not a known property that excels in multi-player, coupled with THQ's marketing focus of the single-player campaign. The multi-player therefore should not be valued any higher than the single-player in an evaluation if you're aiming to judge the game based upon the "majority's experience."

Well, the difference between your 50% and my 51% is pretty small :) But your post just supports what some of us are playing - for many people (a majority imo), it's the online that defines how good a game is and reviews should reflect that. I don't particularly care if a game scores a 7 or a 10 from random internet dude, but I do think reviewers aren't keyed in on what a lot of people want from the game.

I also agree with Sneaky - if a COD has a 5 hour campaign, it's hardly held against it. If anything else, it's a tragic flaw.

SirButterstick said:

Have you been playing Battle Commander? It's basically designed to eliminate campers and works extremely well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
DangerStepp said:
Because the reviewers are probably spending 10% of their review time in the MP.

GOTTA GET DEM REVIEWS UP AND OUT ASAP, YO! GOGOGOGOGO! MOAR HITS FOR OUR GAMEZ BLOG!!!11

That's the truth of the industry at this point in time.
KingOfKong said:
uhh i suggest you play it before being so quick to denounce somebody's opinion that has.

just saying...

KingOfKong said:
Thank god I only rented this game. It looks and plays like something made 3 or 4 years ago. Mind you I have not touched multiplayer but I do not think it will be able to change my opinion because the gameplay feels clunky and gunplay feels unsatisfying. I have only played about 3 hours of the campaign but from what I have read, I almost at the end. For those of you on the fence, I highly suggest you rent it first or wait for more user impressions. At this point anything above a 5 rating seems generous.
Uh, okay?

sk3tch said:
Dayuumm...DICE's Demize99 (Alan Kertz - Sr Gameplay Designer on BF3) is going off on KAOS on twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/demize99/status/47745559708180480:

https://twitter.com/#!/demize99/status/47746972811132928:

EDIT:
He just now tweeted:

I.E.

Fucking weak. He wants to talk big then backs down when people call him out on his shit.

I played for an hour or so. Just MP. It's not as fun as I thought but I'm wandering around aimlessly right now. I can definitely see it rewarding knowledge of the game. Looking forward to it.

DaBuddaDa

commish said:
For many people (a majority imo), it's the online that defines how good a game is and reviews should reflect that. I don't particularly care if a game scores a 7 or a 10 from random internet dude, but I do think reviewers aren't keyed in on what a lot of people want from the game.
I think they are pretty well keyed in. If you read the reviews, not just the scores, you'll see across the board them complimenting the good multiplayer and trashing the bad single player. As a result, when you have a 5/10 single player and a 9/10 multi player, you get scores around 7. And that's exactly what the scores are.

CyReN

Just picked it up and completed chapter 1. The atmosphere is great but it just seems sluggish when shooting and moving around.

JesseZao

You can read that another way that doesn't have malice. He said they are hiring then said that he wouldn't hire people he thought suck (so that's why he mentioned they were hiring).

DaBuddaDa said:
I think they are pretty well keyed in. If you read the reviews, not just the scores, you'll see across the board them complimenting the good multiplayer and trashing the bad single player. As a result, when you have a 5/10 single player and a 9/10 multi player, you get scores around 7. And that's exactly what the scores are.

While that is a perfectly reasonably train of thought, and while it's probably how it should be, you and me both know that it's not the status quo.

Seems like a lot of people have no idea what to think or expect of this game, and you can already see a huge sway in public opinion about this game just from a couple of 5-7/10 reviews (which as you said, could still mean a 9/10 mp) from some of the major players in gaming 'journalism'.

I think every new IP deserves a fair chance, and with crysis 2 knocking at the door and bf3 and brink just around the corner this game will easily be forgotten, even if it might not deserve it.

I'm just sick and tired of the arbitrary rushed reviews that are nothing but a barometer for the hype surrounding each game.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone having MP connection problems on 360? I don't but when I party-ed up with my friend, we couldn't get into a match together.

Liberty4all

Banned
I knew the scores would be all over the place on this game. Several reasons:

1. Multiplayer is stronger than single in my opinion and that's always polarizing
2. New ip from small studio and underdog publisher = review sites taking potshots with little risk of blowback

Number 2 I'm in a position to have a unique understanding of and over the years I've seen it happen many times ...

Bamelin said:
I knew the scores would be all over the place on this game. Several reasons:

1. Multiplayer is stronger than single in my opinion and that's always polarizing
2. New ip from small studio and underdog publisher = review sites taking potshots with little risk of blowback

Number 2 I'm in a position to have a unique understanding of and over the years I've seen it happen many times ...

Just about sums it up.

Only thing I'm REALLY worried about now with all this news is post-launch support. If THQ's stock is taking a dive because of this game, how much more are they going to invest in it?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stallion Free said:
Why did they get fired? Also, it was probably for the best as they are dodging getting it in the ass from EA.
BF2 was done and it was cheaper than hiring them. BC1 and 2 makes me wonder how much of BF2 was DICE and how much was Trauma.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SapientWolf said:
BF2 was done and it was cheaper than hiring them. BC1 and 2 makes me wonder how much of BF2 was DICE and how much was Trauma.

Trauma had a contract with EA where after a certain length of time they'd be entitled to royalties from BF2, EA fired them something like a week before that deadline.

As for Trauma's role in BF2? They didn't do design work, they prototyped DICE's ideas and gameplay elements in the 1942 engine while DICE worked out the tech for BF2's engine.

plc268

I'm actually enjoying the game so far, but goddamn it feels like I'm running in quicksand.

Which is troubling, because you're constantly needing to run large distances, and yet you almost no defense against snipers.

See, in BF:BC2, if I'm running out in the open, and if I have a feeling that a sniper is watching me, I'll start zigzagging all over the place. Here in HF, I don't anywhere near that range of movement it seems.

plc268 said:
See, in BF:BC2, if I'm running out in the open, and if I have a feeling that a sniper is watching me, I'll start zigzagging all over the place. Here in HF, I don't anywhere near that range of movement it seems.

Which is weird to hear, because in HF you can run strafe, but in BC2 you can't.

Liberty4all

Banned
thehillissilent said:
I really wondering now whether THQ will move KAOS studio to Montreal after the stock dip and mixed reviews.

Let's wait and see how the game sells. Stock prices are fickle things ... They may dive thanks to a few shitty reviews and then soar once sales data comes out. One thing I have little doubt about is that this game is going to sell. There is enough positive about mp that dudebros will pick it up.

Metacritics/gameranking are not always in sync with sales numbers and if the game sells well despite the reviews those stocks will be snapped back up and then some.

Hell it's not like the reviews are all that bad ... It's a mixed bag with the 5s and 6s bringing down the overall score.

Kifimbo

thehillissilent said:
I really wondering now whether THQ will move KAOS studio to Montreal after the stock dip and mixed reviews.

The share price is back where it was in November, so it's not dramatic for THQ. Yeah, 20% is a big drop, but they can recover.

For Kaos, sales is the key factor. Medal of Honor sold well after mixed reviews. Gamers love shooters. A Homefront sequel is less certain now however. But yeah, I think there is a pretty good chance that Kaos will move to Montreal. Cheaper. Subsidies. Big pool of talent. Etc.

plc268

Mr. Snrub said:
Which is weird to hear, because in HF you can run strafe, but in BC2 you can't.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that actually.

I'm just basing it off of my experiences though... I can evade snipers much more effectively in BC2 than I can in HF.

I'm so used to not being able to run strafe that I hadn't even tried it. Heh.

Top Bottom