• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horace and Pete - A new online show from Louis CK & Steve Buscemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

I just received a random email from the Louis CK site simply stating...

maQm44I.jpg

I have no clue what it is, I have never heard of it before, but I went ahead and paid the $5 for it. It looks like some sort of show where Louis owns a bar with Buscemi and it is over an hour long.

Here is a link to his site of you want to check it out...

https://louisck.net

It also looks like it was put together just over the last day or two navies at the start here they are talking about berry recent things.

This is weird and so random, haha.

RseAaMA.jpg

EDIT:

Ok, make that Alan Alda, holy crap, lol.

EDIT:

Hello friend guy lady or other,
Some of you are aware that, last Saturday, I launched a new series on my site louisck.net called “Horace and Pete”. I’m writing now to tell you some stuff about it….
Horace and Pete is a new show that I am producing, directing, writing, distributing and financing on my own. I have an amazing cast: Steve Buscemi, Edie Falco, Alan Alda, Jessica Lange, Aidy Bryant, Steven Wright, Kurt Metzger and other guest stars. Also Paul Simon wrote and performed the theme song which is beautiful.
The response to episode one has been great so far and there are more coming. We are making them now and having a lot of fun doing it.
Part of the idea behind launching it on the site was to create a show in a new way and to provide it to you directly and immediately, without the usual promotion, banner ads, billboards and clips that tell you what the show feels and looks like before you get to see it for yourself. As a writer, there’s always a weird feeing that as you unfold the story and reveal the characters and the tone, you always know that the audience will never get the benefit of seeing it the way you wrote it because they always know so much before they watch it. And as a TV watcher I’m always delighted when I can see a thing without knowing anything about it because of the promotion. So making this show and just posting it out of the blue gave me the rare opportunity to give you that experience of discovery.
Also because we are shooting this show in a multi-camera format with an emphasis on a live feeling, we are able to post it very soon after each episode is shot. So I’m making this show as you’re watching it.
Okay so let’s talk for a minute about the five dollars of it all. If you’re on this email list then you’re probably aware that I always make an effort to make the work I do on my own as cheap as possible and as painless as possible to get. That’s why my specials are five dollars and that’s why I sold tickets to my last big tour here on the site, with our own ticketing service at a flat price with no ticket charges and we have worked hard to keep my tickets out of the hands of scalpers.
So why the dirty fuckballs did I charge you five dollars for Horace and Pete, where most TV shows you buy online are 3 dollars or less? Well, the dirty unmovable fact is that this show is fucking expensive.
The standup specials are much more containable. It’s one guy on a stage in a theater and in most cases, the cost of the tickets that the live audience paid, was enough to finance the filming.
But Horace and Pete is a full on TV production with four broadcast cameras, two beautiful sets and a state of the art control room and a very talented and skilled crew and a hall-of-fame cast. Every second the cameras are rolling, money is shooting out of my asshole like your mother’s worst diarrhea. (Yes there are less upsetting metaphors I could be using but I just think that one is the sharpest and most concise). Basically this is a hand-made, one guy paid for it version of a thing that is usually made by a giant corporation.
Now, I’m not complaining about this at all. I’m just telling you the facts. I charged five dollars because I need to recoup some of the cost in order for us to stay in production.
Also, it’s interesting. The value of any set amount of money is mercurial (I’m showing off because i just learned that word. It means it changes and shifts a lot). Some people say “Five dollars is a cup of coffee”. Some people say “Hey! Five dollars?? What the fuck!” Some people say “What are you guys talking about?” Some people say “Nothing. don’t enter a conversation in the middle”.
Anyway, I’m leaving the first episode at 5 dollars. I'm lowering the next episode to 2 dollars and the rest will be 3 dollars after that. I hope you feel that’s fair. If you don’t, please tell everyone in the world.
Meanwhile, we’re going to keep making Horace and Pete. We’re going to keep telling you the story.
I sincerely hope that you enjoy it. I’ll write you again later and tell you more about it. It’s fun to talk about. But for now I want to shut up and not ruin the experience of you just watching the show.
Here’s the link for the website. Enjoy episode 2 of Horace and Pete. We’re shooting it now. You’ll get it on Saturday morning.
This person,
Louis C.K.

Just finished watching it. Really, really good. Not a comedy, but it is brilliantly written and acted and does have some humour spliced in there (random Steven Wright one-liners are always welcome).

Saggy

Wow. Just finished watching it. Was not at all what I was expecting from Louis C.K. Not that that is a bad thing at all; I absolute loved it! Very well acted and very well written (although I'm no critic :p ).

Started off with a fair amount of humor (some of that trademark Louis C.K. awkwardness), and then near the ends pulls a complete 180 and hits you right in the feels. Loved how they weren't afraid to censor anything (which, I guess, should be expected from Louis). Can't wait for the next episode!

For $5.00 (or about $7.20 CAD) I would highly recommend!

Boem

Just watched this - really, really good. Won't be for everyone, it's definitely not as 'jokey' as CK's standup or even his show can be. More a slow paced, stage-like character piece. Louis CK's stuff always works wonders for me when I'm stressed by stupid work-shit. His thoughtful black comedy always calms me down and, in a weird way, makes me feel good about the world. I don't need feel good comedy in moments like that, I need someone to tell me that life is often quite shitty and that that's fine. Love this.

As much as I love Louie, I'm way more excited about Louis CK trying new stuff like this every once in a while.

Really enjoyed this, certainly one of the best things he's done. Started kinda rocky and off kilter, some of the cast could have been trimmed, casting was iffy in spots such as the daughter and the girl next to DiPaulo, but otherwise this was super satisfying and felt properly dense for a theater production type piece. The final stretch with the lawyer, CK, Buscemi, Falco, and Alda was the highlight, the latter just stole the show. Certainly between Alda and Buscemi.

I always thought CK's more dramatic work on Louie was spotty and felt forced, but this is a big leap in vision and characterization, obviously doesn't hurt when he's got the caliber of people here to take part of the reigns, and that's the issue I think I've had with Louie more than anything else, CK just isn't that great at dramatic acting. What he can do with a good cast is apparent here, and hopefully it's a sign of things to come, I believe he could certainly tackle a feature length piece in this style.

edit: Oh apparently Paul Simon wrote the theme song o_o

This is pretty fantastic.

It takes the slow build uncomfortable moments of Louis CK's absurdism and chooses to ground it entirely.

The Trump bit. I don't know if I should be horrified in how close it hits home...

lunchtoast

New email.

Next Episode comes out Sat morning.

Hello friend guy lady or other,

Some of you are aware that, last Saturday, I launched a new series on my site louisck.net called “Horace and Pete”. I’m writing now to tell you some stuff about it….

Horace and Pete is a new show that I am producing, directing, writing, distributing and financing on my own. I have an amazing cast: Steve Buscemi, Edie Falco, Alan Alda, Jessica Lange, Aidy Bryant, Steven Wright, Kurt Metzger and other guest stars. Also Paul Simon wrote and performed the theme song which is beautiful.

The response to episode one has been great so far and there are more coming. We are making them now and having a lot of fun doing it.

Part of the idea behind launching it on the site was to create a show in a new way and to provide it to you directly and immediately, without the usual promotion, banner ads, billboards and clips that tell you what the show feels and looks like before you get to see it for yourself. As a writer, there’s always a weird feeing that as you unfold the story and reveal the characters and the tone, you always know that the audience will never get the benefit of seeing it the way you wrote it because they always know so much before they watch it. And as a TV watcher I’m always delighted when I can see a thing without knowing anything about it because of the promotion. So making this show and just posting it out of the blue gave me the rare opportunity to give you that experience of discovery.

Also because we are shooting this show in a multi-camera format with an emphasis on a live feeling, we are able to post it very soon after each episode is shot. So I’m making this show as you’re watching it.

Okay so let’s talk for a minute about the five dollars of it all. If you’re on this email list then you’re probably aware that I always make an effort to make the work I do on my own as cheap as possible and as painless as possible to get. That’s why my specials are five dollars and that’s why I sold tickets to my last big tour here on the site, with our own ticketing service at a flat price with no ticket charges and we have worked hard to keep my tickets out of the hands of scalpers.

So why the dirty fuckballs did I charge you five dollars for Horace and Pete, where most TV shows you buy online are 3 dollars or less? Well, the dirty unmovable fact is that this show is fucking expensive.

The standup specials are much more containable. It’s one guy on a stage in a theater and in most cases, the cost of the tickets that the live audience paid, was enough to finance the filming.

But Horace and Pete is a full on TV production with four broadcast cameras, two beautiful sets and a state of the art control room and a very talented and skilled crew and a hall-of-fame cast. Every second the cameras are rolling, money is shooting out of my asshole like your mother’s worst diarrhea. (Yes there are less upsetting metaphors I could be using but I just think that one is the sharpest and most concise). Basically this is a hand-made, one guy paid for it version of a thing that is usually made by a giant corporation.

Now, I’m not complaining about this at all. I’m just telling you the facts. I charged five dollars because I need to recoup some of the cost in order for us to stay in production.

Also, it’s interesting. The value of any set amount of money is mercurial (I’m showing off because i just learned that word. It means it changes and shifts a lot). Some people say “Five dollars is a cup of coffee”. Some people say “Hey! Five dollars?? What the fuck!” Some people say “What are you guys talking about?” Some people say “Nothing. don’t enter a conversation in the middle”.

Anyway, I’m leaving the first episode at 5 dollars. I'm lowering the next episode to 2 dollars and the rest will be 3 dollars after that. I hope you feel that’s fair. If you don’t, please tell everyone in the world.

Meanwhile, we’re going to keep making Horace and Pete. We’re going to keep telling you the story.

I sincerely hope that you enjoy it. I’ll write you again later and tell you more about it. It’s fun to talk about. But for now I want to shut up and not ruin the experience of you just watching the show.

Enjoy episode 2 of Horace and Pete. We’re shooting it now. You’ll get it on Saturday morning.

This person,

Louis C.K.

Viewt

Yeah, this came out of nowhere last weekend, but I love CK, so the girlfriend and I just decided to watch it. We both really, really enjoyed it. I'm definitely in for the full series.

man, I really want to watch this but I really can't justify paying $3 per episode
because I'm super poor.

I completely understand why it's priced that way though and am sure it's worth every penny.

This is so cool, I figured this was going to be a one off production despite title. My new favorite thing of 2016 for sure (next to Baskets, which is ironically also CK involved).

Also that diarrhea joke xD

Louis is a master of the potty humor, I read his material and totally hear his timing, almost as good as the live deal. I hope he publishes a book of jokes someday, like a Jack Handy type thing.

Really looking forward to the second one.

lunchtoast

ill probably get it, but no preview?

from his email

So I just saw the first episode. Very well-written and acted. Not a straight up comedy, but very entertaining. Highly recommended, folks.

Downhome

His second email gives a bit more info and thoughts on the whole thing...

Hi there people and dogs who watch tv.
Horace and Pete episode 2 is available for download.
This episode is $2.

Warning: this show is not a "comedy". I dunno what it is. It can be funny. And also not. Both. I believe that "funny" works best in its natural habitat. Right in the jungle along with "awful", "sad", "confusing" and "nothing".

I just think it's fair this one time to warn you since you have every right to expect a comedy from a comedian. I will not warn you again. Anyway it's 2 dollars this week. Take a shot.

Go to your mothers house if you want to see a smile. No matter who you are, you don't go see her enough.

Have a great weekend.

Louis CK.

bounchfx

watched the first two episodes. I fuckin love it. I'll gladly pay 3 bucks for an hour long episode each time. It's well written, interesting characters, good actors, and deals with real, mature situations in ways that makes you think. almost reminds me of bojack horseman in that regard.

but seriously, props to louis ck for this.

Damn this show is addicting. I lost it at the Lange+couch scene. Never have I gone from aroused to uproarious laughter so quickly. That timing xD

Pretty impressed he can crank these out and go through post so quickly. It'll be fantastic if we can really get one of these a week. Already starvin for more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to watch this later today!

Dereck

It's been done before with shows most likely, but I like this age we live in where people just do shit themselves and then release the shit on their website.

tr00per

First I'm hearing of this, but I'm interested! I really enjoy his comedy and his creative direction.

I can really appreciate his stance on going in blind. It's what I have adopted as a personal policy. That and I go into everything with low expectations. That way I'm never disappointed :p sometimes I can't help but get a little hyped though haha.

I find it helps avoid any kind of bias going in and gives you a more genuine connection with the product. I only watch official trailers for things.

I had to learn that lesson the hard way. There was a certain video game I was really excited for. I learned everything I could about it. But when I played it I knew so much about it, it felt like I played it already.

So anyways, good on them. Looking forward to watching it.

That was really good, was initially bummed it was just the two of them (Metcalf and CK) but it turned into something pretty rewarding. Seriously wouldn't be surprised if he tries adapting this into a stage production, it's certainly suited to it.

bounchfx

That was really good, was initially bummed it was just the two of them (Metcalf and CK) but it turned into something pretty rewarding. Seriously wouldn't be surprised if he tries adapting this into a stage production, it's certainly suited to it.

yeah agreed. I was confused at first wondering where everyone was, but that story was great, really gets you thinking and the dialogue felt so genuine. props to CK for even having the balls to write an episode like that.

Boem

Is anyone still watching this? My favorite show that's currently 'airing'. Episode 4 is out now. Another good one, but 3 is still my favorite. It's all really good stuff though.

That long shot at the end. I was almost sure we'd hear a gunshot before the credits would start. I wonder if it was foreshadowing anything, or if it was just a long shot to emphasize the loneliness and emptiness of Uncle Pete and Pete's lives during that last conversation. Pete didn't react to Uncle Pete grabbing that gun on his way out at all, so it's easy to assume he just takes it along with him because he's afraid of being robbed and that it's a habit of his.

I wouldn't be surprised if episode 4 starts with Uncle Pete either having shot himself (this episode dealt with death and loss in the waitress's husband, and unexplained depression with Horace, so it could be interesting to consider that when someone who we, as the viewer, know and care about dies), or Uncle Pete actually being robbed and shooting his gun at a robber in the street, and dealing with the fallout from that.

Now that I've written it down I'm not so sure actually. Now I would be inclined to say that that last conversation between Uncle Pete and Pete about love and sex, which is about their loneliness (contrasted with Horace and the waitress, who are also dealing with shit but actually capable and willing to want to find a 'good' life and connect to someone) is the most important thing here, and Uncle Pete bringing his gun with him is just there to emphasize how much of Uncle Pete's hatred is based on fear, how alone he really is and how he views the outside world. That long shot of the door was just there to let it sink in.

Or whatever.

Man I love this show. Always so much to think about. Louis CK isn't perfect, but he's great at writing pretty natural conversations about actual human issues.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The audio isn't that great. I wish they all had their own mics or something. There's a noise pattern in there that they didn't remove.

The show itself is okay. Kinda depressing, as always.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This shouldn't be a knock against the quality of a drama with light comedic elements.
It was not a negative on the show, but more of a "stamp" that CK's works generally have.

This show is very reminiscent of Lucky Louie, with its single stage, straightforward camera, and sad characters.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom