• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horace and Pete - A new online show from Louis CK & Steve Buscemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smo21

Thank god I missed that spoiler, thanks for tagging Smo21.

Btw, I don't think this is thread worthy but this sucks:

http://splitsider.com/2016/04/louis-c-k-says-horace-and-pete-put-him-millions-of-dollars-in-debt/

He really should have promoted it more, or you know, cut down the production value to keep the costs in line. I mean, it's a nice looking show, but it's way more about the writing and acting than anything else, he easily could have cut corners there and it wouldn't have cost him a single viewer.

Hopefully he makes it work. Maybe he can sell rebroadcast rights somewhere and make the money back.

NimbusD

Hopefully he makes it work. Maybe he can sell rebroadcast rights somewhere and make the money back.

That's a lot of money to have to make back though. I hope this series starts getting some notice, it deserves it. Definitely award worthy. If it actually were nominated that would put a lot of eyes on it and hopefully net him some money, I'd want him to keep doing this stuff so I hope he winds up with somewhat of a profit. But whether or not it's actually eligible for awards is something to consider.

Oof. I've been meaning to buy this but I actually got stopped at the idea of having to buy 10 episodes individually online, seemed like a hassle, have been waiting for him to offer the full 10 episode package.

NimbusD

Oof. I've been meaning to buy this but I actually got stopped at the idea of having to buy 10 episodes individually online, seemed like a hassle, have been waiting for him to offer the full 10 episode package.

Yeah it's sort of weird that he doesn't offer that. I feel like this series isn't for everyone, there's a big chance he's losing a lot of money by not letting people buy the whole thing, so a bunch of people only buy the first one or two and decide it's not for them.

Yeah it's sort of weird that he doesn't offer that. I feel like this series isn't for everyone, there's a big chance he's losing a lot of money by not letting people buy the whole thing, so a bunch of people only buy the first one or two and decide it's not for them.
But you can buy the whole season...don't know if this option is new, though.

horace_and_pete_season_by_digi_matrix-d9yw1r9.png

NimbusD

Finally finished this show. Jesus christ man. What a trip. Want more people to see it just so I can have a discussion here about it.

Just finished it, been out of the loop so binged the last four episodes, and now I need to go ly dow. Jesus what a brutal trip that was, but so so worth it. Nothing like it that I've seen, Louis made something really unique here, hope to hell he continues experimenting with this kind of narrative format with veteran actors propping it up. Edie Falco is just amazing, especially in the
Pete's date episode.
She really lost herself in that role, I'll be quite indignant if the show and performances in general aren't considered for an award somewhere.

That said I did have some issues with the trajectory things took...
I felt like CK kind of did Pete dirty with the whole meds being discontinued, gotta go back to the psych ward/eventual mental collapse and violent turn arc. Modern psychiatry doesn't really work like that, it's not as if probitol is the only anti-psychotic on the market, and doctors regularly ween patients off one medication while bringing them up on another. I can understand if given his history they'd need an initial say month of observation to make sure the new meds are working correctly, but the whole indefinite committing angle doesn't really fly and felt like an all too convenient setup for the disappearance and eventual murder. So I feel like this detail wasn't thought through very much in the writing, and it was kind of heartbreaking to see Pete turned into this cariacature at the end of a knife-wielding psycho bum.

Even though that aspect seemed ham fisted, it's an ending that's still obviously staying with me, and the events prior with the waitress played by the always incredible Amy Sedaris (please act more) managing to distract Horace briefly, coupled with playing "America" on the jukebox, and the unreality of Pete coming in, it is a pretty devastating scene, but mostly due to Sedaris trying to cheer Horace up and watching him dealing the grief and trying to process and move on.

I dunno, I feel like the ending would have worked better after the jukebox, with Pete still being "gone". The story felt plenty goddamn tragic even on that note, the whole knife thing just takes me out of it.

First part of the finale was something else, and after hearing CK discuss the show on WTF recently it frames things in a different light, apparently he and his mom suffered from an abusive father/husband, paraphrasing here, "everybody hit everybody". Now that I think on it, all the processing parental relations themes from Louie makes more sense now. In standup he only kind of ever talked about his relationship to them as being distant and him being the kind of loner stoner teenager, now it seems like that was a coping mechanism for the shitty home life. Probably getting too long in the tooth here on this tangent lol but hey, been following this guy well over a decade now so it's always fascinating trying to get into the heads of certain comics and entertainers, CK certainly doesn't shy away from exploring these darker subjects. Can't wait to see what he does next, whatever it is beg and plead Sedaris and Falco to be a part of it.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I haven't started watching this yet but he was on WTF last week talking about it with Maron. Just insane the whole way this came together. I can't imagine anyone that watched the show wouldn't completely enjoy hearing his "making of" stuff.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
He also covered this in his WTF appearance.

Apparently he foot the bill for all of it. Every penny. He said the way sales are starting to pick up he expects to have broken even by August and then every dollar made after that is profit. Also really big on how he owns a television property completely now. He can sell it or stream it or do whatever he wants now because it's all his.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Don't want to read the whole thread because I've only seen the first episode thanks to Maron's EPIC 700th episode with Louis, but, man, that Alan Alda...wow.

Don't want to read the whole thread because I've only seen the first episode thanks to Maron's EPIC 700th episode with Louis, but, man, that Alan Alda...wow.

Yeah, this is worth a listen for fans of the show and definitely worth it for people worried about the media's interpretation of its "financial failure."

If you're super sensitive to spoilers, though, stay away. Louie himself drops a few major plotline spoilers. A few more than a few, actually.

If you're super sensitive to spoilers, though, stay away. Louie himself drops a few major plotline spoilers. A few more than a few, actually.

They talk around who the surprise actress is in ep. 3 AND THEN LATER DON'T EVEN BOTHER. Sheesh. Not to mention the
Uncle Pete reveal...

Holy Crap!

I just watched the first episode and my heart is in a pit of despair. I can only liken it to how I felt after a couple seasons of Breaking Bad or nearing the end of LOST, but it's only the first episode. If Alan Alda doesn't somehow win every acting award for that performance, I don't even know. Him and Jessica and Steve and Nick are all amazing.

I was hesitant about purchasing this. I love Louie, but it got real dark in a way that made me almost want to stop watching. This is way darker and more depressing, but it's also so human and so real, which somehow makes those comedic moments all that more endearing.

Fucking beautiful. Can't wait to watch some more.

I'll also say, I'm in the midst of taking over my family business that has been in the family for 3 generations now, and some of the themes (including romantic) are hitting way too close to home. Definitely need a strong drink after that one.

gdt

So this series is completely fucking devastating. Dear god that was brutal to watch and experience.

But beautiful too.

Vyer

I just finished this. Man, I don't know how I feel about it. It's certainly unique, and brutal and funny and sometimes well acted and sometimes amazingly acted and sometimes awkward.

I started watching the first episode and kinda thought 'WTF' is this and next thing I know I've marathoned to the first 'act'.

A stage play in television form. It's just devastatingly dark and painful at times and really beautiful at others. There's nothing quite like it and something every fan of tv should at least try to experience.

Ainsz

Just binged the full series. This was something else, hats off to Louis and everyone else involved. Everyone was just on top form throughout.

There's so much to take away from this show as it has a hell of a lot to say but one thing that stood out to me throughout was a theme of honesty. Raw, brutal, no bullshit honesty.

Almost every character played and said everything straight, Everyone spoke from the heart and cut out all the bollocks to say what they really thought. And it flawlessly made each character likable, relateable and at the very least interesting. Even when the characters were coming off as dicks, you wanted to hear them out. The few characters that did talk bollocks stood out like a saw thumb and it was cringey to hear them carry on in their bulllshit.

The show really spoke volumes about the value of honesty. The dinner scene with Pete's date fucking killed me over how Silvia laid in to Pete. I fucking grew to despise her slowly over her character. Yet I found myself worried about the outcome of her cancer an episode or so later. Despite how disagreeable she was, I still fucking cared about her. The same way I cared 90% of the other characters thanks to their integrity, even if their ideals, philosophies or attitudes were dogshit.

Great show. Honestly.

Ainsz

Precisely, but at the expense of crushing Pete's slither of brief happiness. Really teared me up. But it is better than mollycoddling. At least Pete's girlfriend got to have her say at the end.

KingKong

I appreciate the show but it has so many monologues by different actors that all sound exactly the same because they were all written by Louis

Thread has only three pages. Is it just because there wasn't much marketing and a network behind it?

I thought LouisCk was a big enough name for people to care about in spite of that stuff.

robotrock

Banned
Thread has only three pages. Is it just because there wasn't much marketing and a network behind it?

I thought LouisCk was a big enough name for people to care about in spite of that stuff.

probably because the episodes were way too expensive with and the set up was uninteresting.

I dunno. Loved episode 1, but then episode 2 was more of it. and ep3. and ep4.

Frost_Ace

So, after watching the 2017 special I need more Louie in my life, and totally forgot to purchase this last year. Worth spending 31$ on this?

I know this is different but Louie is one of my favorite shows ever

So, after watching the 2017 special I need more Louie in my life, and totally forgot to purchase this last year. Worth spending 31$ on this?

I know this is different but Louie is one of my favorite shows ever

i think it's still also available on Hulu, at least in the US

either way i'd say it's definitely worth it

Frost_Ace

So yeah, episode 3 was probably one of the best I've ever seen. Incredible TV, felt like I was right between them hearing them talk. Hope it gets even better than this.

Blader

So yeah, episode 3 was probably one of the best I've ever seen. Incredible TV, felt like I was right between them hearing them talk. Hope it gets even better than this.

Is that with the Laurie Metcalf monologue?

The whole show was great, but that was my favorite episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom