• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horace and Pete - A new online show from Louis CK & Steve Buscemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Watched a clip on Youtube. Wow, I love the way it's shot like a sitcom almost but played out like a drama. Basically as someone mentioned, a theater play.

bounchfx

Great episode. not really sure why they keep getting so much shorter, but that was a good one, lots of thinking and some really messed up stories. It's dark shit man, damn.

It was not a negative on the show, but more of a "stamp" that CK's works generally have.

This show is very reminiscent of Lucky Louie, with its single stage, straightforward camera, and sad characters.

:p

I never saw Lucky Louie but heard good things. Louie (FX) started off so much more upbeat and bit ridden in its first season then progressively barreled towards the desperation, single parent woes, and all the other sad sack stuff he's been touching on for awhile. It's all mostly good though, I'm more thankful in this format he has actors a lot better than him often taking center stage with workin the dialogue. Have never really bought his "awkward face" performances, and those are abundant lol.

Still need to check out this week's episode.

Great episode. not really sure why they keep getting so much shorter, but that was a good one, lots of thinking and some really messed up stories. It's dark shit man, damn.

I imagine they're getting shorter due to the insane workload it takes, CK is a workhorse but when you're acting in, directing, and editing episodes and releasing on a weekly basis it's gotta take a toll. Hoping for another 50 plus minute one, first two episodes were so meaty, though three was very satisfying as well due to the two character focus.

Just watched the first episode, thought it was great. Edie Falco is just an incredible actress in everything I see her in, and everyone else was also very good. Looking forward to watching the rest.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Just wanna say how beautiful the theme song is. Sets the tone perfectly.
I personally cannot stand it. It drives me up the wall. :p

It's like so manipulative and the way the vocals go up and down just piss me up. Plus, the fact that it's the only song in the show, just makes it even more torturous.

LordOfChaos

Is the animosity towards Pete just over his mental illness and his separation from the other two? The online dating episode was pure abuse towards his character to a painful degree.

I don't think Horace has outright animosity towards Pete. During the dinner, it kind of seemed more like blurting it out so that Sylvie couldn't do it later and make it worse?

As for Sylvie, she wanted to sell the place for money for her cancer treatment before which Pete didn't want to do, but even after we found out she was safe, and in the last episode where Pete found out he couldn't get his drug anymore and was bound for the mental hospital and torturous hallucinations, she seemed to have complete apathy for him.

I kind of really don't like her for it...I could forgive a whole lot of being myopic during the cancer episodes, but even after learning she was fine there seems to be a complete lack of care and no sense of remorse for treating someone she was raised as a sibling with like dirt.

hateradio

This last episode continues on the drain train.

This play is like the circus of sadness. Not that it wasn't expected.

hateradio

The last episode? The past section was messed up. The present section was getting better, but then it went down fast, didn't it.

Ivan 3414

Probably couldn't pay me five bucks to watch this show. Louis CK isn't remotely funny in anything I've seen him in.

That being said it will be interesting to see how this advertising method works for him

Edit oh this topic is old lol

Karu

Probably couldn't pay me five bucks to watch this show. Louis CK isn't remotely funny in anything I've seen him in.

That being said it will be interesting to see how this advertising method works for him

Lucky you, this isn't a comedy.

Boem

Just watched the last episode.

Wow.

This is probably the best thing he ever created, even though I really love Louie as well. It was incredibly emotionally draining, especially towards the end. I feel like I should go outside and sit in the sun for a bit.

Amazing stuff. Don't know what else to say about it right now, I honestly can't remember the last time a show/movie left me feeling like this. Maybe it's where my own life is right now (don't worry, nowhere near as bad as this show), but this really affected me.

Man.

Erudite

There were a couple episodes that didn't do much for me, but as a whole, I'm so glad I supported and watched the show all the way through. The last episode was a great finale and has had me thinking about the series as a whole since I finished it.

AVClub did a great write-up about the last episode here.

HoJu

Damn that was great. I was wondering if there was a reason why Pete killed Horace, besides him being mentally ill, but then i read that Horace looked so much like his father, so Pete killed him, even though he's the person that loved him the most. so Horace paid for the sins of his father.

Wow that was tough. It's too early to compare it to Louis, but I have a feeling Horace and Pete will stick with me longer... for better or worse.

LordOfChaos

It's not a comedy, it's a tragedy. I think that threw people who were looking for the Louie comedy bits, so if he doesn't make you laugh anyways it may be a plus for you lol.

Ingram

Tried not to get spoiled from this thread and I'm successful thus far. I just finished episode 5 and love this show. It feels like something truley unique and special.

Only annoyance is the dialogue audio not being level for everyone it makes it hard to hear when I'm binging at 4am and need to keep the noise down.

LordOfChaos

Goddamn, unrelentingly brutal right to the end. Glad I watched it though.

Poor young pete getting left with that jackass by his own mom and Sylvie (pete being too young). Poor Horace. Poor all the things.

Jesus.

LordOfChaos

Anyone notice the fact that the weapon used to destroy both bloodlines (effectively -- I realize there is little Horace, but the bar's done) and the 100 year old bar was introduced for the sole purpose of cutting citrus and finally breaking the century old rule regarding drinks at Horace and Pete's?

And that Pete likely killed Horace because Horace looked like Petes abusive father figure?

SD-Ness

Haven't watched it yet. LCK is one of the best comedian-entertainer-artists out there. Love his stand up. Love Louie. The latter seasons of Louie have gone from creative highbrow sitcom to a hybrid of that and art film dramedy. Is that what H&P is like or a bit more dramatic?

Sanjuro

Haven't watched it yet. LCK is one of the best comedian-entertainer-artists out there. Love his stand up. Love Louie. The latter seasons of Louie have gone from creative highbrow sitcom to a hybrid of that and art film dramedy. Is that what H&P is like or a bit more dramatic?

This isn't a comedy. Been watching it all today with a couple episodes left.

LordOfChaos

It's not a comedy at all, though there are funny bits. It views almost like a screen play, and is a tragedy in the Shakespearean sense.

Can't recommend it more though. Very glad I watched.

Thinking about it, this is probably one of the best unflinching views into mental health on TV (or web), isn't it?

Blader

It's not even really like the art film dramedy episodes of Louie, even it does lean very dramatic. Better to think of it as a filmed play.

The first episode might be a bit of a turn off just because it's so wildly different from both Louie and (probably) what your expectations would be, but stick with it. I thought the first ep was interesting but didn't especially like it; but I got into it more and more with each new ep, especially the third. It's a heavy series but works really well.

Sanjuro

Have to admit to liking Alan Alda's character more than I thought I would out of the gate. Loved his character, then loved watching Buscemi ape his tired mannerisms for the flashback.

Mi goreng

That final episode was the biggest punch in the gut. In a good way. What a marvellous show this was, and I will miss it.
Steve Buscemi's face and expression
when he walks in was incredibly well played and showed the uncertainty of the scene really well. Supposedly there's a post credits sequence of the cast bowing to the camera which i'll need to go back and see.

Sanjuro

That final episode was the biggest punch in the gut. In a good way. What a marvellous show this was, and I will miss it.
Steve Buscemi's face and expression
when he walks in was incredibly well played and showed the uncertainty of the scene really well. Supposedly there's a post credits sequence of the cast bowing to the camera which i'll need to go back and see.

Yeah, it's after the credits in the last episode. Nothing really much though. Just a bow.

Smo21

Damn that was great. I was wondering if there was a reason why Pete killed Horace, besides him being mentally ill, but then i read that Horace looked so much like his father, so Pete killed him, even though he's the person that loved him the most. so Horace paid for the sins of his father.

Spoilers asshole

NimbusD

Thank god I missed that spoiler, thanks for tagging Smo21.

Btw, I don't think this is thread worthy but this sucks:

http://splitsider.com/2016/04/louis-c-k-says-horace-and-pete-put-him-millions-of-dollars-in-debt/

He really should have promoted it more, or you know, cut down the production value to keep the costs in line. I mean, it's a nice looking show, but it's way more about the writing and acting than anything else, he easily could have cut corners there and it wouldn't have cost him a single viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom