• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floody

I highly recommend people to sneak into a
Behemoth
site and
hack
one then sit back and watch the carnage. Just had two literally bulldoze down a forest fighting each other. Gonna try the
Thunderjaws
next.

Yup it's pretty crappy, a lot of the time I go on foot. The contrast is probably more pronounced because Aloy feels so good to play as. I also wish the camera would pull back a little more when you're on a mount, it's a little too close. They do feel slow and clunky though, barely worth taking the time to override and mount depending on the length of your intended journey.

I hardly bother with them since i jut fast travel every where .

Jesus, some of these Cauldron fights are bullshit. Put in two huge, super aggresive robots into an empty pit with me and expect me to be a fuckin sharpshooter that just gets everything right.
You have the ropecaster? Just tie one up and run up to it with critical strikes until it dies. Once you kill one do the same for the other or take your time with arrows.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This game is hard.
Is it normal that I get killed in one hit or two by everything? Even human? I'm playing on hard but it's getting frustrating...

Aprart from that the game is amazing.
Yes, this is how it's for me as well. I'm not playing with any DLC armor, someone posted that it's OP.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Everybody has friends.

source.gif

Fucking Longlegs

Always gotta start some shit

I'm getting good with sniping those fucks and obliterating their chest cavities that sends them reeling

Damage+ Tear+ Very Rare are massive destroyers

I have the triple arrow ability unlocked, shooting 3 Hard Piercing or Tearblast arrows in Triples just destroys them

I think I hit 250+ on Thunderjaw, 350+ if I hit at the heart!

Jesus, some of these Cauldron fights are bullshit. Put in two huge, super aggresive robots into an empty pit with me and expect me to be a fuckin sharpshooter that just gets everything right.

You can lay traps around the room,

You can lay trip wires

You can override the watchers to have a distraction (don't last long) for the beasts

You can ropecaster them

You're playing it wrong. I loved the cauldron fights.

This game is hard.
Is it normal that I get killed in one hit or two by everything? Even human? I'm playing on hard but it's getting frustrating...

Aprart from that the game is amazing.

On normal you take a bit less damage. No one hit deaths, but the game isn't braindead easy either. Normal is more difficult than other game's normal mode. You might want to change it to that.

pixxxelz

Started playing this last night and man, there's so much shit to do in this game, how do you guys keep up with all this? Should I just focus on the main quest now and do the side stuff later?

I still haven't been able to spend much time with this game. I played for a bit yesterday and tackled 2-3 side quests. I've yet to tackle the first main quest
The Point of the Spear
though I'm hoping to do that one today.

Quick question though, what does the "Create Job" function do? I've seen it in the crafting section but haven't used it yet.

LiK

I wish there was a way to turn off certain headpieces. The later outfits are just ridiculous. Makes Aloy look dumb in cutscenes and dialogue scenes.

I love how when me and
Varl and all the warriors
went to go take out bandit camps, I would clear each one out all by myself via stealth, and then they all run up and say "we did it!".

Excuse me??? I did it, not you. :)

CHC

So with regards to difficulty - I have to say that after playing for a while I feel like the curve is pretty damn flat. Like even at higher levels you just have more health and abilities, but don't actually do more damage inherently (that comes from gear alone). And the difficulty settings don't make a huge difference either, it seems.

It tends to be more like an action game than an RPG in that sense, since each dino provides roughly a similar challenge each time it's encountered. I'm at level ~27 and still don't really feel like I'm at a point where dinos encountered earlier are trivial, per se, just slightly easier as a result of my better gear and marginally improved skill.

20hs in and still have to fast travel once. :p

Bought the unlimited item though, just in case.

I've used it once or twice when I'm going back exactly the way I came but 99% of the time I enjoy the journey.

hollams

Gold Member
I am. 3.1 right now unfortunately, so I can't speak to surrounds, but i have noticed that dialogue doesn't come through the center channel in a lot of the conversations, which i also found very odd

I have 9.2 setup and do get full surround sound, but the dialog comes out of the right speaker as well. I've read that it works correctly if you are running in stereo mode so it seems to be a bug in the game with surround systems that I hope they fix. It's not a big deal but does make dialog sections sound awkward.

BOTW isn't going anywhere, but the massive viewer spike from a new game is. The main focus of a lot of streamers is to follow the hype to make more money, not taking their time to fully enjoy a game.

Yeah I was comparing my own videos from my Twitch stream that I put on YouTube (as a guy who is just starting and not making any money) to my favorite YouTuber/Twitch streamer. He got to and finished The Proving in two videos - took me four to get through the same amount. Mostly because I get shiny distracted very easy and like just exploring.

I don't think I could ever be a full-time streamer for that reason. I take my time on games a bunch.

On normal you take a bit less damage. No one hit deaths, but the game isn't braindead easy either. Normal is more difficult than other game's normal mode. You might want to change it to that.

Normal's been pretty challenging for me so far. I haven't died yet, but I haven't felt like I've been breezing through every encounter. I think if I upped it to Hard I'd get too frustrated to enjoy how wonderful this game is.

Tigress

I feel like they could improve mount movement. It doesn't feel smooth at all times. If you get on a hill that is too steep, I've found my mount walks and refuses to go any faster, even if you're going downhill or sideways. I'm fine that at a certain angle going straight up is slow, but going down or sideways should not force your mount to walk. That becomes extremely frustrating. Jumping up ledges and over smaller rocks is also not particularly smooth.

I found the horseback riding is pretty realistic other than steep jumps that they didn't seem to be able to animate well so it jumps/phases awkwardly down. And maybe it's cause the horse feels my trepidation as I'm not an expert horseback rider at all and downhill always makes me a bit nervous (mainly cause I worry the horse is going to trip and tumble downhill) but whenever I horseback ride it doesn't seem like the horse wants to run downhill (and I don't want him too either... all that momentum as a horse is heavy is harder to stop) unless he's near the bottom of the hill. In fact they seem less reluctant to run uphill than down.

Also, I love how they got her riding animations accurately. She doesn't just sit straight on the horse, if she is going downhill she leans back and uphill she leans forward. It makes it feel more like real horseback riding.

The only complaint I have is going down a real steep step (not slope) or up it seems they coudln't get the animation smooth and the horse does an awkward jump down that looks like it should have faceplanted. And one could argue that would not have been realistic anyways IRL for a horse to do.

So with regards to difficulty - I have to say that after playing for a while I feel like the curve is pretty damn flat. Like even at higher levels you just have more health and abilities, but don't actually do more damage inherently (that comes from gear alone). And the difficulty settings don't make a huge difference either, it seems.

It tends to be more like an action game than an RPG in that sense, since each dino provides roughly a similar challenge each time it's encountered. I'm at level ~27 and still don't really feel like I'm at a point where dinos encountered earlier are trivial, per se, just slightly easier as a result of my better gear and marginally improved skill.
I'd say that's a good thing. The machines should always feel like a threat, no matter how leveled up you are. It gives the world, concept, story overall cohesion, and just makes sense. Even if you have the most powerful bow, you still going up against towering weapon-laden robots with a bow

Loudninja

I'd say that's a good thing. The machines should always feel like a threat, no matter how leveled up you are. It gives the world, concept, story overall cohesion, and just makes sense. Even if you have the most powerful bow, you still going up against towering weapon-laded robots with a bow
Agreed.

Tigress

I love RPGs and I love levelling up, but with most RPGs that is actually a pet peeve of mine... once you are highly levelled they are just too easy (and I'm not the best gamer so me complaining it is too easy says something). They never seem to be able to balance levelling up with making the higher difficulty ramp up appropriately. I know Bethesda games are awful about this (at higher levels I die mostly cause I got too careless cause it got so easy I stop even trying anymore).

So I'd say that's a good thing.

Yes, this is how it's for me as well. I'm not playing with any DLC armor, someone posted that it's OP.

Well now I'm glad I have never had her use her tokens for any.

It's amazing when it's nighttime and you are able to see the lights from striders glowing through the trees from long distances. This game is something else.

Can you only find modifications from animal bots? And how do you rearrange your mods? I can't even take them off my unequipped weapons cause apparently I havent learned how?

I'd say that's a good thing. The machines should always feel like a threat, no matter how leveled up you are. It gives the world, concept, story overall cohesion, and just makes sense. Even if you have the most powerful bow, you still going up against towering weapon-laden robots with a bow

Agreed. I can still get wiped out by shellwakers as I posted earlier (and other misc encounters eg; the crocodiles) if i'm not careful.

Also, the game does let you carry multiple armour also for a reason. You can swap out armour for something that suits the enemy you're fighting better.

Can you only find modifications from animal bots? And how do you rearrange your mods? I can't even take them off my unequipped weapons cause apparently I havent learned how?

You need the tinker skill. The skill tree is open to read so its a worth a look in. Tinker was the skill tree i unlocked first

You can also buy mods + get them from treasure boxes

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Man, I have not received such a giant middle finger from a game in quite some time. Early-ish spoilers still in the eastern wing of the map:

So I found that armory with the high tech armor in it. I put in the one power core I got and saw I needed a second one. On a whim, I went spelunking back in the underground area you explore as a kid and found I could smash open some of the walls. Down in those depths I found a second power core! sweet! So I rush back to the armory and plug it in. Solve the combination lock puzzle and smile at the new armor I'm standing in front of. And then the game smears its middle finger across my face and says fuck you, you need 3 more power cores in this back room that you weren't allowed to see yet. Wh... why not just require 5 power cores for the initial combo lock to get into the room? I see no reason for this beyond being a giant troll.

I've used it once or twice when I'm going back exactly the way I came but 99% of the time I enjoy the journey.

I'm level 38 and besides watchers and humans, the game never gets to the point where you can breeze through it and ignore strategy. Usually in most games like these you get so powerful that you can just ignore weak points and debuffs and buffs and just hit them anywhere and they go down.
But here even mid tier robots are still dangerous.

Floody

You change them in the crafting menu, there's a perk that allows you to do it without destroying the mod so might want to wait until you have that. You can also get mods in crates and chests too.

benny_a

Well now I'm glad I have never had her use her tokens for any.
To note: I didn't investigate this further, nor do I have that DLC armor myself. It's just what someone posted.

I just think it's plausible because two hits and I'm basically dead and others are posting how the game is piss easy and they never die.

Never getting hit ever even from adds from the side and stuff seems quite unlikely to me.

Kin5290

Fucking Longlegs

Always gotta start some shit

I'm getting good with sniping those fucks and obliterating their chest cavities that sends them reeling

Damage+ Tear+ Very Rare are massive destroyers

I have the triple arrow ability unlocked, shooting 3 Hard Piercing or Tearblast arrows in Triples just destroys them

I think I hit 250+ on Thunderjaw, 350+ if I hit at the heart!
Three hardpoint arrows from the purple hunter bow are almost as good but you can spam more of them.

I totally agree with this. I think it says something great about game design where I encountered a Sawtooth last night, but before I engaged it I double checked to make sure Watchers weren't around because they'd fuck everything up if I didn't take them out first.

CHC

Oh yeah totally, I probably should have specified that that was praise. It would be very tedious if you didn't feel like fighting was commitment and you could just casually one-shot them. I find that as I get further I am spending more time just hiding and avoiding fights when I can. The southwest part of the map is no joke!

Oxn

Game is like Dino Monster Hunters

Oh yeah totally, I probably should have specified that that was praise. It would be very tedious if you didn't feel like fighting was commitment and you could just casually one-shot them. I find that as I get further I am spending more time just hiding and avoiding fights when I can. The southwest part of the map is no joke!

Im finding myself trying to stealth kill all the little ones as much as possible.

Tigress

Not yet. I hope they do a really large expansion like The Following on Dying Light.

I'm greedy, I want more than one. I already after playing this game thing my major problem with it is going to be it's too short (yeah I know a lot of you disagree. But I get the feeling I'm going to be upset it's done already... I already find myself trying as hard as possible to find things to do to stave off getting closer to the ending).

I love this game. It quite possible will be my second favorite series next to Fallout. And if Fallout didn't have NV and 2, it may have been my favorite (despite the fact I prefer RPGs that let me play my own character and are more like the old fashioned D&D style that try to give you many different ways to resolve a problem). And I know it's not a series yet but I anticipate they are going to make it one cause they said they wanted to and I definitely think it's going to be popular enough they will be able to

ajanke

Three hardpoint arrows from the purple hunter bow are almost as good but you can spam more of them.

Those the Terablast ones? What do those do? I have them but never use em. I've tried and sometimes they'll do damage and other times they seem kinda useless.

shiba5

I found the horseback riding is pretty realistic other than steep jumps that they didn't seem to be able to animate well so it jumps/phases awkwardly down. And maybe it's cause the horse feels my trepidation as I'm not an expert horseback rider at all and downhill always makes me a bit nervous (mainly cause I worry the horse is going to trip and tumble downhill) but whenever I horseback ride it doesn't seem like the horse wants to run downhill (and I don't want him too either... all that momentum as a horse is heavy is harder to stop) unless he's near the bottom of the hill. In fact they seem less reluctant to run uphill than down.

Also, I love how they got her riding animations accurately. She doesn't just sit straight on the horse, if she is going downhill she leans back and uphill she leans forward. It makes it feel more like real horseback riding.

The only complaint I have is going down a real steep step (not slope) or up it seems they coudln't get the animation smooth and the horse does an awkward jump down that looks like it should have faceplanted. And one could argue that would not have been realistic anyways IRL for a horse to do.

Yeah, I agree. They did a pretty good job, and it seemed like they went for realism over mechanics. Technically, there doesn't seem to be a reason why the mount can't run downhill. Unless you're "The Man from Snowy River", running downhill on a horse is pretty unnerving in real life.

A sequel that adresses some of the issues can be GOAT. For their first RPG they still did a good job. With this experience they can do something really special with a sequel.

benny_a

Those the Terablast ones? What do those do? I have them but never use em. I've tried and sometimes they'll do damage and other times they seem kinda useless.
You can knock off parts:
Knocking parts off does the following:

1) You can use the parts as materials
2) Some robots have weapons that can be used when knocked off
3) Knocking parts off lowers their defended, in some cases it causes an explosive damage
4) Last and the most important reason, knocking off a certain part mean the robots lose a certain ability.

The way to quickly kill a robot is by doing the following in this order:
1) Lay traps before fight
2) Knock out the important stuff using tear arrows, it might do some damage it might not....But damage isn't important here.
3) Debuff the robot using an elemental weakness
4) Use heavy arrows at critical points, if possible fire 3 arrows at once provided you have the skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom