• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybris

That's really unfortunate. BoTW isn't going anywhere.

Are you talking about Coh?

BOTW isn't going anywhere, but the massive viewer spike from a new game is. The main focus of a lot of streamers is to follow the hype to make more money, not taking their time to fully enjoy a game.

Kalentan

9OHUDk5.gif

Ah, the majestic waypoint. Look how it moves gently through the air. Majestic.

Do your mounts/enemies you override not attack enemies you're fighting by themselves?

There was a group of broadheads next to a bellowback. I did override on three of the broadheads, and then went to attack the bellowback. They all just kind of sat there doing nothing. Even when i called for my mount so one of the broadheads would come over, it didn't care about the bellowback at all. Just stood there waiting for me to get on.

What's the secret here?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I feel like they could improve mount movement. It doesn't feel smooth at all times. If you get on a hill that is too steep, I've found my mount walks and refuses to go any faster, even if you're going downhill or sideways. I'm fine that at a certain angle going straight up is slow, but going down or sideways should not force your mount to walk. That becomes extremely frustrating. Jumping up ledges and over smaller rocks is also not particularly smooth.

zkorejo

So my wife was watching me play the game yesterday and she made multiple comments on how the game's aesthetics and character designs seem to be borrowing from the TV show "The 100".

I haven't seen it but has TV GAF felt the same way ? I had Aloy wearing the medium physical armor which has a sort of a circular headband to it and she mentioned how that design was ripped off straight from a central female character in the show.

I have watched 100.. there are a few similarities with the show, like armors/clothing, tribes but there mostly the armor/accessories are mostly made up of animal bones and metal, here from the machine enemies. The world is a mix of 100 and Mad Max IMO.

World, lore, story, characters are way more interesting in the game though. The show could have been really good but bad writing and cringeworthy characters with OTT acting killed it.

Moodz

This game is hard.
Is it normal that I get killed in one hit or two by everything? Even human? I'm playing on hard but it's getting frustrating...

Aprart from that the game is amazing.

Withnail

Anybody else with a surround sound setup not getting anything through the rear channels? Pretty sure my settings are ok so I'm wondering if it's a bug.

hydruxo

This game is hard.
Is it normal that I get killed in one hit or two by everything? Even human? I'm playing on hard but it's getting frustrating...

That doesn't sound normal to me. I've been playing on Hard for about 20 hours now and never been one or two shot by anything, not even the biggest robos.

Anybody else with a surround sound setup not getting anything through the rear channels? Pretty sure my settings are ok so I'm wondering if it's a bug.

I am. 3.1 right now unfortunately, so I can't speak to surrounds, but i have noticed that dialogue doesn't come through the center channel in a lot of the conversations, which i also found very odd

zkorejo

Do your mounts/enemies you override not attack enemies you're fighting by themselves?

There was a group of broadheads next to a bellowback. I did override on three of the broadheads, and then went to attack the bellowback. They all just kind of sat there doing nothing. Even when i called for my mount so one of the broadheads would come over, it didn't care about the bellowback at all. Just stood there waiting for me to get on.

What's the secret here?

They do if they are close to the enemies attacking. If your mount was close and didn't react to the enemy maybe it was a bug. My Broadhead died during my first Thunderjaw fight, I didnt even want it to get involved because getting another one is a chore.

Dave_6

Damn, I literally couldn't make any progress to the next main quest step last night. No matter which way I tried to go, there was some massive machine or multiple ones in the way. It was either two Sawtooths one way or that cloaked bastard that kills me in nearly one shot. Guess I need to do more side quests and level up some since I'm only a 10.

rezn0r

This game is hard.

As hydruxo said, this doesn't sound normal to me either. I put it on hard awhile ago and I still feel like I'm steamrolling through everything (people say it ramps up a lot later) - but damage to Aloy is definitely not the harder side of it. What type of enemies are one-shotting you?

Ricker

Just checked and it works fine here,I could hear the crackling of the campfire through the rear channels...

zkorejo

This game is hard.

Has happened to me a one or two times in the beginning. I think thats because you may have run into enemies at much higher level than you.

I got a armor with better mele resistance, stocked up on health potions/medicine pouch and started using roll alot.

Neoweee

This game is hard.

Playing on Very Hard, there's a lot of melee stuff that is a one-hit kill. Not bigger ones, but larger guys? Saberwhatevers, stealth guys, etc., yes.

Dodge roll is the key. The i-frames put Souls to shame, and are your only defense against terrible hitboxes.

If you need to, wear the +Melee Defense Armor, and gem it accordingly.

They do if they are close to the enemies attacking. If your mount was close and didn't react to the enemy maybe it was a bug. My Broadhead died during my first Thunderjaw fight, I didnt even want it to get involved because getting another one is a chore.

Hmmmm.....

Do they generally need to get really close? I tried to kite the bellowback into the middle of a field where the three overridden ones were, but they all just sort of did nothing.

Only one real experience so far. I'll have to keep testing....

Blobbers

I just came across Nil again on my way to
Meridian
and he acted like we've never met before. It was weird. Maybe it happens if you don't do his first quest.

zkorejo

Hmmmm.....

Do they generally need to get really close? I tried to kite the bellowback into the middle of a field where the three overridden ones were, but they all just sort of did nothing.

Only one real experience so far. I'll have to keep testing....

Yeah I think so but I have not tried to do that intentionally yet. Like, I have not overridden multiple machines to see their reaction to an enemy attacking.

curlycare

Could someone point out where on the map is Rosts and Aloys camp, where the game started? Or can you even visit it.

Also, I love this game, it's so beautiful.

Could someone point out where on the map is Rosts and Aloys camp, where the game started? Or can you even visit it.

Also, I love this game, it's so beautiful.

Don't have access to the map now but it's at the west of Mother's Heart, a snowy place and yes, you can and should visit it again. ;)

CHC

I feel like they could improve mount movement. It doesn't feel smooth at all times. If you get on a hill that is too steep, I've found my mount walks and refuses to go any faster, even if you're going downhill or sideways. I'm fine that at a certain angle going straight up is slow, but going down or sideways should not force your mount to walk. That becomes extremely frustrating. Jumping up ledges and over smaller rocks is also not particularly smooth.

Yup it's pretty crappy, a lot of the time I go on foot. The contrast is probably more pronounced because Aloy feels so good to play as. I also wish the camera would pull back a little more when you're on a mount, it's a little too close. They do feel slow and clunky though, barely worth taking the time to override and mount depending on the length of your intended journey.

Mupod

asked this earlier but didn't get an answer - what determines merchant inventory? I'd love to buy a strong sharpshooter bow and put some of these rare +damage enhancments in, but every merchant has the same inventory. And their only 'very rare' item is a sling.

Is it based on player level, story progress, or something else?

Yup it's pretty crappy, a lot of the time I go on foot. The contrast is probably more pronounced because Aloy feels so good to play as. I also wish the camera would pull back a little more when you're on a mount, it's a little too close. They do feel slow and clunky though, barely worth taking the time to override and mount depending on the length of your intended journey.

I agree that walking through rocks it's unpleasant but other than that I love the riding in the game, the feel and movement of mounts is really well done imo.

Moodz

Has happened to me a one or two times in the beginning. I think thats because you may have run into enemies at much higher level than you.

I got a armor with better mele resistance, stocked up on health potions/medicine pouch and started using roll alot.

Must be that... But it happened during the main quest where you have to blow up the doors and I wasn't underleveled for it, that's weird...
I'll try to advance a few more quest and get some better gear and see if it gets more forgiving.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I agree that walking through rocks it's unpleasant but other than that I love the riding in the game, the feel and movement of mounts is really well done imo.

It definitely feels fine on regular ground. It's just those two situations that it becomes wonky for me.

Goddamnit I went to get my armour from the ruins turns out
I need more power cells.
Fuck.

Yeahhhh, it's a bummer that before you leave the embrace, if you're paying attention, you can get two of them, which is just enough for you to be able to get into the chamber and see what you won't be getting for 20-30 hours.

Any idea when we'll receive sales data on Horizon?
They usually announce when they hit a million...I think it'll easily hit that worldwide, so maybe they will wait and do the bigger tally after the initial shipment. Amazon points to it being a big seller, have to take with a small grain of salt though as it doesn't represent a huge gaming market sample size, it's just pretty good at predicting.

Also Nier 2 did almost a 200K in Japan opening week.

hydruxo

asked this earlier but didn't get an answer - what determines merchant inventory? I'd love to buy a strong sharpshooter bow and put some of these rare +damage enhancments in, but every merchant has the same inventory. And their only 'very rare' item is a sling.

Is it based on player level, story progress, or something else?

Seems to just vary depending on the area you're in from what I've seen. Go to another region of the map and the merchants should have different items.

CHC

Great on roads and relatively open areas but get anywhere near short drops down or rivers and it becomes really rough.

Damn, I literally couldn't make any progress to the next main quest step last night. No matter which way I tried to go, there was some massive machine or multiple ones in the way. It was either two Sawtooths one way or that cloaked bastard that kills me in nearly one shot. Guess I need to do more side quests and level up some since I'm only a 10.

I think I know exactly where you are. I found stealth/running past difficult enemies pretty effective.

The hunting grounds are a nice quick xp source. I think gear is more important than level too.

Dave_6

I think I know exactly where you are. I found stealth/running past difficult enemies pretty effective.

The hunting grounds are a nice quick xp source. I think gear is more important than level too.

I was pretty tired and started the game too late so that didn't help I'm sure. My last attempt I tried to stealth past a Bellowback and it wound up heading towards the bushes I was hiding in. That didn't turn out well at all.

Think I need to just head back and do side quests before attempting it again. I can't do anything against the cloaked machine.

Mupod

Seems to just vary depending on the area you're in from what I've seen. Go to another region of the map and the merchants should have different items.

Hm. I wandered what I thought was pretty far, but it looks like I'm in for a much longer ride. I'm still early on, so I'm not sure how far it will let me go.

I know there are a lot of comparisons being tossed around right now with Zelda and Ubisoft games, but what this most reminds me of is Rise of The Tomb Raider. This is RoTTR if they got every aspect right instead of the disappointing mess we got.
Story, characters, dialogue, gameplay(Tomb Raider's best gameplay aspect used to be the bow - not anymore), crafting is less of a chore, side missions are more involved and there just way more, I think the cauldrons here are more fun than the tombs, and the world flows so much better and has more variety than RoTTR. And I'm not going to even compare graphics and soundtrack. No contest.
The TR reboot took a lot from Uncharted and TLoU and hopefully the next TR game takes a lot from Horizon.

Horizon is probably the best out of these Ubisoft style games we've gotten in the last decade. Or at least tied with AC Brotherhood and Arkham City.

Reedirect

Jesus, some of these Cauldron fights are bullshit. Put in two huge, super aggresive robots into an empty pit with me and expect me to be a fuckin sharpshooter that just gets everything right.

Oxn

I know there are a lot of comparisons being tossed around right now with Zelda and Ubisoft games, but what this most reminds me of is Rise of The Tomb Raider. This is RoTTR if they got every aspect right instead of the disappointing mess we got.
Story, characters, dialogue, gameplay(Tomb Raider's best gameplay aspect used to be the bow - not anymore), crafting is less of a chore, side missions are more involved and there just way more, I think the cauldrons here are more fun than the tombs, and the world flows so much better and has more variety than RoTTR. And I'm not going to even compare graphics and soundtrack. No contest.
The TR reboot took a lot from Uncharted and TLoU and hopefully the next TR game takes a lot from Horizon.

Horizon is probably the best out of these Ubisoft style games we've gotten in the last decade. Or at least tied with AC Brotherhood and Arkham City.

Thats actually what i thought after the first 2 hours as well. Except with a non annoying lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom