• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickVic

Not much of a spoiler, but you get dumped back into the game before the final mission. But there are several towns you just never have to visit, so you can miss quite a few quests. There's also a couple of quests that are just randomly peppered on some of the roads, which you might never use once you get fast travel.

Yeah I made it a point to visit all the small towns. Not all of them have quests, but I do like seeing more of the world.

I did run into an issue where I had a side quest marker show up on one of the roads, told myself I'd go back to it later, and now I can't find it anymore. Don't know if it was a bug, if I triggered it and then forgot, or it was tied to some other event I already completed (I believe it was near a bandit camp which I also discovered around the same time), but I'm not quite sure what happened.

aristotle

Did anybody else find the three easter egg
Kojima Productions items? I only found a Stranded Shackles and a Stranded Baby, didn't find the third but they mentioned selling them to a special merchant for a reward?

Yeah, like the other collectibles one of the merchants will give you a box. I only found two of the pieces though.

Here ya go :

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Spent 37 hrs completing the game with two side quests. Not a bad experience at all. I enjoyed the story overall. The ending
was too short (not the fight) and that teaser after the credits ughhh. Leaves the door open for quite a sequel l just wonder how they will progress it onwards. Please create a better ending next time
. Polish the lip sync and rough cut scenes and l can't wait to see what the sequel brings.

TTG

Top 5 machines to fight:

Storm birdie. Obviously
Behemoths. So many cool attacks, I wish there were more of them around. So much better than other trampler types
A pack of Snapmaws. Best blaze canister implementation of any enemy, a lot of fun.
Shell Walker caravan. First time I saw one pick up his lost crate and secure it with a claw I burst out laughing. They're fun.
Corrupters. Only time ropecasting feels difficult.

Honorable mentions to Stalkers(great concept, a bit of a pushover) and Thunderjaws(it's a great spectacle, but a formulaic fight). Also worth mentioning are Jurasic Park moments with Watchers, it just doesn't happen enough because they're one hit stealth kills, but if you get a pack of them in addition to something, it's great when they get to sideswiping you out of nowhere.

One thing I feel they really missed is a fight that only works, or works much better, when Aloy is on a mount. I shot a bow from "horseback" like twice in all my time playing and never felt it was to my advantage to stay on.

Also, there isn't a machine that's deadly at long range that you have to then close the gap on. Glinthawks sort of, but they're so weak to fire it doesn't really matter if you run up to them or not.

Top 5 machines to fight:

Storm birdie. Obviously
Behemoths. So many cool attacks, I wish there were more of them around. So much better than other trampler types
A pack of Snapmaws. Best blaze canister implementation of any enemy, a lot of fun.
Shell Walker caravan. First time I saw one pick up his lost crate and secure it with a claw I burst out laughing. They're fun.
Corrupters. Only time ropecasting feels difficult.

Honorable mentions to Stalkers(great concept, a bit of a pushover) and Thunderjaws(it's a great spectacle, but a formulaic fight). Also worth mentioning are Jurasic Park moments with Watchers, it just doesn't happen enough because they're one hit stealth kills, but if you get a pack of them in addition to something, it's great when they get to sideswiping you out of nowhere.

One thing I feel they really missed is a fight that only works, or works much better, when Aloy is on a mount. I shot a bow from "horseback" like twice in all my time playing and never felt it was to my advantage to stay on.

Also, there isn't a machine that's deadly at long range that you have to then close the gap on. Glinthawks sort of, but they're so weak to fire it doesn't really matter if you run up to them or not.

Deathbringer for your last point?

Also I agree with everything else 100%. I don't like how you automatically slow down when you shoot from a mount and the controls are a bit weird, so it's really easy to get knocked off.

I asked this before but someone mentioned that there's a
shaman in the desert who drinks oil and stuff
. Where can I find him?

Here:

17191937_10212406034815047_7011496928886066000_o_zpskdoc0hsg.jpg

Sorry for not highlighting the spot, you see it, right?

55 hours, 89% completion for the platinum trophy.

What a game. I didn't think it was possibly to enjoy something more than Witcher 3 but here I am

TTG

Deathbringer for your last point?

Also I agree with everything else 100%. I don't like how you automatically slow down when you shoot from a mount and the controls are a bit weird, so it's really easy to get knocked off.

I've never tried actually, that's interesting.

I wonder if they had something on horseback resembling Shadow of the Colossus type encounters. Mounts are in, climbing on moving objects is in. Or maybe something really elusive and fast that Aloy then has to chase.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
55 hours, 89% completion for the platinum trophy.

What a game. I didn't think it was possibly to enjoy something more than Witcher 3 but here I am

The great thing about the game is that it doesn't have much in terms of 'filler'. Every quest has an end, even the errands. You're not doing much in the sense of fetch questing or generic template based quests.

hG4lcIL.gif

Absolutely.

lol, ok clearly that isn't normal :p

I like how the elemental system for armor works.

Protects against fire damage
Protects against shock damage
Protects against freeze damage
Protects against corruption
Protects against melee attacks
Protects against blinding effects
Protects against projectile attacks
Makes wearer harder to see and hear

What I don't like is that these mods are attached and locked into entire outfits. But seeing one of the descriptions read "the metal-casing breastplate protects against melee attacks" got me thinking.

They can apply this same formula to actual armor pieces, and therefore the only thing you would be buying is the soft fabric underneath. If you want stealth, you'd buy lighter armor or if you want melee or projectile protection, you'd buy something heavier, and so on. Could be a way to add a lot more customization and vanity.

Bert409

So is it okay to just avoid and run from the robots 90% of the time? These fucking things are becoming to numerous and too hard.

So I just finished the mission when you're told "this is the point of no return." The mission name is "The Terror of the Sun."

Holy shit at the reveal of Sylens. That was pretty fucking awesome.

Seriously fucking awesome.

There are some but they are easy to disarm: Ravagers, Thunderjaws, Stalkers. I've found myself in trouble when Ravagers get together while I'm fighting with other machines and they start firing.

Also, Watchers are compys to me, big compys.

So...pop-in? NPCs in Meridian popping in and out behind Aloy when I walk down that long corridor with the Captain guy?

I'd just feel better if the pop-in was widely reported so that I know it's not my Pro.

It's not horrendous, but it's quite noticeable.

So I just finished the mission when you're told "this is the point of no return." The mission name is "The Terror of the Sun."

Holy shit at the reveal of Sylens. That was pretty fucking awesome.

Seriously fucking awesome.

I'm just starting "The Mountain that Fell," this plot got me fucked up.

Aloy: So what youre sayin is, my parents were - me and a machine?
8rZczQO.png

Sylens:
PKoUlut.png

TTG

So...pop-in? NPCs in Meridian popping in and out behind Aloy when I walk down that long corridor with the Captain guy?

I'd just feel better if the pop-in was widely reported so that I know it's not my Pro.

It's not horrendous, but it's quite noticeable.

I've only noticed it in Meridian. Image quality in this game is outstanding. There's no pop in besides that area, objects or texture quality getting upresed in a jarring way. Nothing janky with shadows, essentially flawless ailiasing. No significant drops in frame rate.

Aesthetically it's not as strong as some, but technically it succeeds on so many levels.

I don't think I've done the Mountain that Fell, so I'm gonna abstain from that reply for now. ;)

I was just making a terrible summary at the gist of the quest so its really not worth opening even after you've completed it.

Speaking of quests, I just realized that I have 0 checkpoints near the waypoint for this quest. This is gonna be a hell of a hike.

Gonna pour myself a drink cause I'm just gonna kill every machine on the way there since I'm strapped for certain materials.

I like how the elemental system for armor works.

What I don't like is that these mods are attached and locked into entire outfits. But seeing one of the descriptions read "the metal-casing breastplate protects against melee attacks" got me thinking.

They can apply this same formula to actual armor pieces, and therefore the only thing you would be buying is the soft fabric underneath. If you want stealth, you'd buy lighter armor or if you want melee or projectile protection, you'd buy something heavier, and so on. Could be a way to add a lot more customization and vanity.

Yup, that's pretty much the same thing I want - have mods change the aesthetics of weapons and outfits. The outfits themselves are a base and come with some stuff, already, but as you add say a melee mod, it adds a bunch of armor plating, as you add a ranged mod, you get more coverage of mail-like fabric.

Add some Unique Mods to the game and you could do, for instance, a stealth mod that gives a huge boost to stealth and, when strapped to an outfit, turns out to be a stealth module from a Stalker, so you'd get some partial invisibility effect going on.

shiba5

I actually kind of like going to a settlement just to see what's there and just discovering on your own if there are new side quests, rather than the game just telling you 'here's all the side quests' on the map. Having said that, I wouldn't mind if after beating the main story if the game put all the exclamation marks on the map so you can wrap up any side quests you missed. I haven't finished the game yet so I don't have any idea how it handles going back to uncompleted quests, but that's just something I'd appreciate if more games did (or at least have that as an option).

Well, yeah maybe not painting them all over the map, but I wish the exclamation points would stay once you got near them. I ran off to do another quest once and couldn't find the other quest I'd noticed without getting online and looking. I'm still finding stuff I missed which is kind of neat, but some of the quest givers are really out in places most people will never go. There's a pretty epic Banuk shaman quest that I only found because it was mentioned on here. He was in an area I had never gone near.
I found a really cool area of old wind turbines while poking around just now that I never saw in 90 hours of playing.

Cauldron spoilers:
Cauldron Xi was so fucking good. I was worried the cauldrons would end up being repetitive because of the first two, so it was awesome to have my expectations smashed with that one. I actually did Zeta before so this was the last cauldron I needed and it felt like a great finale for them.

Cauldron spoilers:
Cauldron Xi was so fucking good. I was worried the cauldrons would end up being repetitive because of the first two, so it was awesome to have my expectations smashed with that one. I actually did Zeta before so this was the last cauldron I needed and it felt like a great finale for them.

Thankfully your failed spoiler tag didn't reveal anything important.

So I finished the game today and I'm so happy for GG. Not that they weren't before but they're finally getting their due as a top tier AAA dev.

Where to begin? The game certainly has its flaws, for example some characters have waxy like skin, lip synching can be off for some others, the side missions didn't capture and grab me like the main story missions and the end battle in my opinion felt flat.

Having said all that, the rest was just magical. Yes, I said magical. As an open world game, GG didn't do anything revolutionary, like say Nintendo with BotW. But everything it did do, it executed almost perfectly. I'd like to say this, I got a 4K tv back in November specially for this game and boy am I glad I did. In 4K and with HDR enabled this is probably the most visually arresting open world game I have ever seen. This level of detail is usually seen in ND games, but to see Guerilla do it, in an open world no less...fucking hell.

The combat feels sooo good. Controlling Aloy felt natural and using the assortment of weapons (Bows, Ropecasters, Slings etc) all felt satisfying to use. The variety of enemies, the different ways to take them down, the crafting system, the system that allows you to create a mini quest to gather materials and mitigate the grind, the overbearing UI which could be turned off and brought back at a tap of the touchpad, so many thing so expertly crafted.

For their first foray into an open world game, Guerilla certainly didn't come across as novices. The story was more than serviceable, it was enjoyable and intriguing.

Spoiler time:

Not unlike Quantum Break, the collectibles were important to the exposition of the story and gave life and nuance to certain characters. Elisabet Sobeck and her dream teams of scientist and engineers were brought to life well before there holographic images appeared, thanks to solid writing and exposition. Travis Tate (responsible for the Hades system) Stamina Ebodji (Apollo), Charles Ronson, the Australian whose name I don't remember now.

All these characters gave immediacy and weight to the story. I constantly kept asking what was Project Zero Dawn and then once I found out I kept asking what went wrong. Ted Faro, that guy had some brass balls on him.

I cannot wait to see what Guerilla does next in this world. Oh and I got the Platinum. It's been awhile since I added some silverware to my mantle.

Radec

Had to stop before going in the
Final Battle quest
gonna finish it later!

Wished she made a "are you not entertained" thing at the arena!

This story man.. *obamasweating.jpg*
Fuck Ted Faro

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So guys, "main enemy" before the last mission
motherfucking Ted Faro is literally the worst human being in the entire damn game.

Well, yeah maybe not painting them all over the map, but I wish the exclamation points would stay once you got near them. I ran off to do another quest once and couldn't find the other quest I'd noticed without getting online and looking. I'm still finding stuff I missed which is kind of neat, but some of the quest givers are really out in places most people will never go. There's a pretty epic Banuk shaman quest that I only found because it was mentioned on here. He was in an area I had never gone near.
I found a really cool area of old wind turbines while poking around just now that I never saw in 90 hours of playing.

But that's actually a good thing imho. The game encourages and rewards exploration. By exploring, you'll come across stuff that you'll miss if you're only following the main quests. I prefer this instead of the other option. I hate it when I could see exclamation marks on my map. I also hated it when the first time I bought the collectible maps. There are markers everywhere and I couldn't hide them.

feels like 90% of the side quests involve tracking >.>

You're not wrong.

feels like 90% of the side quests involve tracking >.>

At least you don't need to leave the focus on like every other game out there ruining the graphics.

Also, I don't have problems with tracking quest in games, I don't know why is a so hated mechanic, I suppose it's because people don't feel free?

At least you don't need to leave the focus on like every other game out there ruining the graphics.

Also, I don't have problems with tracking quest in games, I don't know why is a so hated mechanic, I suppose it's because people don't feel free?

Eh, I like tracking quests and I think you're missing the point there. The problem with tracking quest in Horizon for me (and probably Zoba as well) is that most side quests are basically that. There needs to be a variation in side quests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom