• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

krae_man

Okay I think I went a little sidequest crazy. All cauldrons down, All Tallnecks done, all bandit camps done, all corrupted zones done, Hunters Lodge done, I'm level 47 and I'm about to find out about
zero dawn

At least you don't need to leave the focus on like every other game out there ruining the graphics.

Also, I don't have problems with tracking quest in games, I don't know why is a so hated mechanic, I suppose it's because people don't feel free?

I view the side quests like filler episodes, so when many of them are tracking it tends to blur together

Whats interesting is that Aloy's reputation as a tracker is apparently tied to her Focus, so there ought to have been a quest where an NPC tricks her into stealing it from her, forcing us to track him down without it. Then we could have a canonical example of her being talented without it, and maybe even some characer growth. Maybe she was letting her reputation get to her head and relying on it too much.

shiba5

But that's actually a good thing imho. The game encourages and rewards exploration. By exploring, you'll come across stuff that you'll miss if you're only following the main quests. I prefer this instead of the other option. I hate it when I could see exclamation marks on my map. I also hated it when the first time I bought the collectible maps. There are markers everywhere and I couldn't hide them.

Yeah, I've changed my mind now that I've finished the game and am just wandering around going to places I can see in the distance. I've found some really amazing places and it's not the same as making a beeline to a map point. The less map clutter the better.
Maybe they could add a toggle to turn off different (or all) map markers. I wish I could turn off the resource markers now.

TTG

feels like 90% of the side quests involve tracking >.>

Another superfluous mechanic that should be trimmed away for the sequel. She doesn't need batman's detective powers. There's so much standard vocabulary type stuff in this game that they must have figured are necessary to the genre. What about those ring "puzzles"? Guerrilla almost beats out Uncharted for puzzles most accessible to kindergartners.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I view the side quests like filler episodes, so when many of them are tracking it tends to blur together

Whats interesting is that Aloy's reputation as a tracker is apparently tied to her Focus, so there ought to have been a quest where an NPC tricks her into stealing it from her, forcing us to track him down without it. Then we could have a canonical example of her being talented without it

You could probably put together an in world reason why no one has a focus based on what they tell you about the factions, assuming there isn't some kind of text data log that already explains it.

Razgreez

Guys, I got the platinum trohpy for the game already and now I'm trying to finish off some of the tutorials I didn't do. However some of the tutorials are simply not working (yes, I have them activated). Enrage 3 machines with corruption arrows for example, it just doesn't work. Shoot 3 freeze/shock cannisters isn't working either. I tried reloading the game with no success. Anybody else having the same problem?

Make sure you're using the correct bow/sling etc. Some tutorials can be completed with any weapon (even though the name would indicate otherwise), others require specific weapons to proc

Is there any purpose to the Rattler? I picked it up cause it was the last shadow weapon I didnt have and someone I managed to get a Fox and Rabbit skin.

It shreds human enemies up close - it's like a shotgun.

Gotcha.
7UbA2rd.png

Thanks.

TTG

You could probably put together an in world reason why no one has a focus based on what they tell you about the factions, assuming there isn't some kind of text data log that already explains it.

There's 3 curious people in the game world or is it 2?
Was Olly forced to put one on?
Everyone else is like fuck this magic device, let's figure out how to tell the player about this lore instead. Did Aloy inspire even a single person? What's this magic lance? Oh wait, who gives a shit.

Guerilla Games has surpassed my expectations. I don't know how anything else will top this in 2017 for me, and I'm not even done with the story yet.

Everyone else is like fuck this magic device, let's figure out how to tell the player about this lore instead. Did Aloy inspire even a single person? What's this magic lance? Oh wait, who gives a shit.

She clearly inspires
Sylens

I think in future games you'll see a lot more technology from the tribes, especially given
they have to be told SOMETHING about all the revelations made to Aloy in the back half of the story

Eh, I like tracking quests and I think you're missing the point there. The problem with tracking quest in Horizon for me (and probably Zoba as well) is that most side quests are basically that. There needs to be a variation in side quests.

Whats interesting is that Aloy's reputation as a tracker is apparently tied to her Focus, so there ought to have been a quest where an NPC tricks her into stealing it from her, forcing us to track him down without it. Then we could have a canonical example of her being talented without it, and maybe even some characer growth. Maybe she was letting her reputation get to her head and relying on it too much.

It might... in a less detailed way of explaining things I find every tracking quest in any game pretty much the same, some are more elaborated than others but the difference is how compelling and long is the plot.
On the top of my head: The Witcher III, Arkham series, Shadow of Mordor, Assassin's Creed, Horizon.
The Witcher III having the most elaborated ones.

I thought people complained about the mechanic itself.

Guerilla Games has surpassed my expectations. I don't know how anything else will top this in 2017 for me, and I'm not even done with the story yet.

Horizon's not a masterpiece just yet, but it'll be a long time before a game hooks me as well as this one has. Perhaps long enough until its sequel arrives.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
With the Nora, that's obvious.
With the Carja and the Oseram, it could be seen than those who wear the focus are part of the Eclipse/Shadow Carja, so maybe it's taboo.
The Banuk seem to prefer hunting naturally, even if they're not technophobic like the Nora.

That said, it doesn't even really seem that
the technology is rare, since Sylens just gives you a new one when you lose your old one. lol

TTG

She clearly inspires
Sylens

I think in future games you'll see a lot more technology from the tribes, especially given
they have to be told SOMETHING about all the revelations made to Aloy in the back half of the story

I definitely expect that as well. Actually, I expected it as soon as the proving and certainly when
Sylens first speaks to Aloy.
But it didn't turn out that way.

Did you read that one text file about some dude recording stories about expeditions into foreign lands? Didn't sound promising in that department. Some cultists chugging machine oil and river people.

Radec

Almost near the end spoilers
I was expecting Sylens to betray Aloy once she got the master overdrive. Damn Hollywood movies corrupting me.

Horizon's not a masterpiece just yet, but it'll be a long time before a game hooks me as well as this one has. Perhaps long enough until its sequel arrives.

Horizon is quite possibly the most captivating open world game I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

I'm fully engrossed in this game, so much so that it's keeping me away from playing Zelda BotW.

I talked to some guy on his porch asked me to find his ring near a dangerous machine and then he says "If you can find it you have my thanks". Motherfuckers how am I gonna upgrade my various satchels with your thanks?

TTG

I talked to some guy on his porch asked me to find his ring near a dangerous machine and then he says "If you can find it you have my thanks". Motherfuckers how am I gonna upgrade my various satchels with your thanks?

I have 50 hours logged everything except resources and mod pouches are level 1 or 2. Like I'm going to go looking for fish bones for a potions pouch. There's a dino the size of a small house eating dirt every 5 minutes, make something out of that.

I have 50 hours logged everything except resources and mod pouches are level 1 or 2. Like I'm going to go looking for fish bones for a potions pouch. There's a dino the size of a small house eating dirt every 5 minutes, make something out of that.

I haven't used a single potion or trap, and all I'm doing is picking up baubles to upgrade my bags so that I can hold more potions and traps.

lmao there is one quest where Aloy isn't having any of that and she's like "As long as I get paid."

I didn't know she was a bounty hunter now.

TTG

I haven't used a single potion or trap, and all I'm doing is picking up baubles to upgrade my bags so that I can hold more potions and traps.

Protip: drop all of your traps ASAP. There will come a time when you'll need to use a potion and you'll be scrolling past 4 different traps and another 4 antidotes with the d pad to get it in the middle of a fight when that happens.

some of the npc interactions are outlandish and seem so bizarre it's hilarious

like the lonely hunting grounds keeper forgot which specific one
and nil

Badgerst3

Are there missions that are meant to be done after the main storyline?

Looks like I only have 2 main storyline missions left but lots of side missions.

For example when do most people do the level 25 mission hinted at early in the game

(Before or after the main storyline)? I generally like it to all end together, wrapped up by a games final main quest line mission. At least that's how I did W3.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Final story mission looming (pun intended), 3 trophies left! I'm all set to tackle it and finish the three remaining ones with the last mission :) (finishing, platinum &
allies
~50h in, will be my first platinum.

leng jai

Horizon is quite possibly the most captivating open world game I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

I'm fully engrossed in this game, so much so that it's keeping me away from playing Zelda BotW.

Outside of the graphics I don't actually find Horizon's open world particularly immersive or interesting when it comes to pure exploration. Zelda, Witcher 3 and Skyrim all have better designed worlds but Horizon is better in other areas.

Are there missions that are meant to be done after the main storyline?

Looks like I only have 2 main storyline missions left but lots of side missions.

For example when do most people do the level 25 mission hinted at early in the game

(Before or after the main storyline)? I generally like it to all end together, wrapped up by a games final main quest line mission. At least that's how I did W3.

They actually kinda reward you if you do most of side quest before the final main quest.

Outside of the graphics I don't actually find Horizon's open world particularly immersive or interesting when it comes to pure exploration. Zelda, Witcher 3 and Skyrim all have better designed worlds but Horizon is better in other areas.

I don't agree one bit as far as TW3 and Skyrim are concerned. As for Zelda BotW, I can't say for sure because I have only played about 5 hours or so.

Skyrim is probably the least interesting/most boring critically acclaimed open world game I have ever played.

I'm sure I'm not the first, but....

Aloy is a descendant of Ellie right?

Not really serious

So far I would say TW3 at least is more immersive. Just wandering through the country side finding random side quests was so good. I remember finding the exploded house and eventually opening a portal to a cave full of cheese...I was like wat.

0racle

For the first time frustration is setting in.

I don't have any more meat left to make potions and I can't stand looting for health plants after every encounter when I just want to play.

Are there any other options? There has to be an easy method for health.

TyrantII

This game is beating out RDR for me. All of the immersion and world building, but none of the boring and superfluous Rockstar mission crap.

RDR2 is going to have to greatly improve on their cookie cutter formula to catch this one for me.

3 missions to go, and I don't want it to end.

I don't have any more meat left to make potions and I can't stand looting for health plants after every encounter when I just want to play.

Buy them?

Buy potions from vendors?

calder

Final story mission looming (pun intended), 3 trophies left! I'm all set to tackle it and finish the three remaining ones with the last mission :) (finishing, platinum &
allies
~50h in, will be my first platinum.

Good shit, what a great game.

And yes,
ted fucking faro
is the absolute worst ever holy shit. During one of the last cutscene conversations I
fired an arrow through his hologram out of frustrated anger I wouldn't get to kill his ass lol

Very near end spoilers about motivation:
i personally think fucking Ted kinda snapped and his unbelievably cruel sabotage of Apollo was his mind basically breaking under the guilt of his epic fuckup. It's not everyone who can say their egotistical jackassery literally killed billions of people and you had to watch it happen knowing you'd be one of the last to die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom