• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

I can't believe a game that came out two years ago might not look as amazing as a game that came out last month.

Two years isn't even close to a generational gap, and it's on a $260 low-end machine compared to a $1000 PC. So, yeah, it's pretty stunning indeed.

wapplew

I let my brother borrow my copy of Horizon tonight, as he's on vacation starting tomorrow. He's been ALL about PC gaming for the last six months or so, literally hasn't TOUCHED his PS4 since he got his gaming PC.

He could not BELIEVE how good the game looked. Like, he was absolutely stunned. He said he has been playing Witcher 3 (everything on Ultra) and just didn't understand how Horizon looks better. After he played it for a little bit we switched it over to W3 just so he could show me the game since I haven't seen it on PC yet, and, YUP, Horizon looks better is basically every way.

Horizon's color and art style just more pleasing for me.

Edit: Horizon can used less comparison to other games, I take back my word, sorry.

VanWinkle

Horizon's color and art style just more pleasing, Witcher 3 on PC still technically better due to better hardware IMO.

Ehhh, saying it's technically better isn't really true. There are aspects of it that are better, like AF and draw distance (as well as the ability to push resolution, AA, and framerates further), but lighting, clouds, foliage density, skin and eye shaders, etc are technically better on Horizon.

Horizon's color and art style just more pleasing, Witcher 3 on PC still technically better due to better hardware IMO.

Being on better hardware don't make something technically better .
Some things TW3 does better and some things HZD does better even on lower end hardware .

Xeteh

Two years isn't even close to a generational gap, and it's on a $260 low-end machine compared to a $1000 PC. So, yeah, it's pretty stunning indeed.

It is still two years while being designed for a specific piece of hardware. You're also acting like Witcher 3 looks like garbage compared to Horizon and as someone who has played a shitload of both games, I'm going to disagree.

Kin5290

Spanks, man.

Also, what exactly is happening here? I get that it's an explosive sling grenade, but is it being lobbed into an actual exposed opening for extra damage, or has Sunhi just made it look like that for extra coolness?
The Rockbreaker has an exposed weakpoint on his back like an engine, and it's pretty easy to get at it when it dives. Sunhi being a badass, he ran on the Rockbreaker to drop a sticky bomb point blank.

VanWinkle

It is still two years while being designed for a specific piece of hardware. You're also acting like Witcher 3 looks like garbage compared to Horizon and as someone who has played a shitload of both games, I'm going to disagree.

Every comparison I said with W3 was "looks better." Like, how could THAT mean it looks like garbage. I said how amazing Horizon looked but I never went beyond "looks better" when comparing it to W3.

W3 looks fantastic. THAT'S why he was so stunned to see that this game on a <$300 small console looked better than such a great looking game pushed to ultra settings. If W3 didn't look great, there'd be no reason for him to be shocked by it.

This game...this fucking game.

Took down my first Thunderjaw, although it was corrupted (thanks gaf :/ ) now my next mission?
Redmaw!
Goddamn I just want to fight a normal one first lol.

Anyway its such a sublime game to play, its amazing how open world games are so much less tedious when combat is fun and traversal isn't a pain.

I don't even think I fought a Behemoth yet although it says I killed one. I still have a lot left in the game at 50 hours, I'll start being more focused going forward, I still have 85 games to play.

C7R0pzxV0AEtPbv.png

Source

Goddamn, that is hella cool <3 always love the pixel art

Just finished the story and got the platinum trophy.

I would give it a very good 8.5/10.
We don't need to talk about the visuals. Technical masterpiece and a nice, colorful art style. Also cool enemy / machine design.
The gameplay was nice and fun. Close combat could be better.

Story and writing are much much better, compared to previous Guerilla works. Good job.

Wish the open world would be more rewarding in terms of exploration. Also would like better climbing mechanics. Maybe they will be able to fix some of this, in the potential sequel.

jmaine_ph

Two mission from the end of the game and man...this story is so much better than I thought it would be. I'm even doing a lot of lore exploration on the game and off which I usually save until after I beat the game. I LOVE IT!

SlickVic

Just finished the hunting ground trials. Occasionally annoying, but getting the blazing suns were a lot easier than I thought. I appreciate the trials were less about dexterity (though you do need a bit) and more about knowing the right strategy for each trial.

I think my remaining trophies are just getting collectibles, so this may end up being my first Platinum trophy ever. Can't think of a better game to commemorate the occasion.

VanWinkle

You know, I was thinking. And somebody here may have done this very thing and could provide input. I wonder if turning the waypoint marker AND the compass off would dramatically increase the sense of exploration. Like, you have to look around and find areas that are described and come upon stuff without being so pushed forward. I just wonder if something that simple could do something that substantial, and I almost feel like it might.

Now I kind of wish I hadn't let my brother borrow the game, so I could try it out.

Kuldar

Late game spoiler. I did the quest
The Mountain that Fell
last night and I have two things to say:
1:
That Elisabet sacrifice, this woman did everything she can for humanity
2:
Fuck you Faro, FUCK YOU !!

You know, I was thinking. And somebody here may have done this very thing and could provide input. I wonder if turning the waypoint marker AND the compass off would dramatically increase the sense of exploration. Like, you have to look around and find areas that are described and come upon stuff without being so pushed forward. I just wonder if something that simple could do something that substantial, and I almost feel like it might.

Now I kind of wish I hadn't let my brother borrow the game, so I could try it out.
I turned all those off early in the game. Made exploring a lot more fun and interesting. The markers&compass felt like the game was telling me what to do where to go exactly at all times. Only thing that sort of bothered me is when I was collecting everything I would get lost in a mountain or something when I thought I was going the right way. Was kind of tricky finding out the place to start climbing (the yellow/white climb objects)

TTG

Just finished the hunting ground trials. Occasionally annoying, but getting the blazing suns were a lot easier than I thought. I appreciate the trials were less about dexterity (though you do need a bit) and more about knowing the right strategy for each trial.

I think my remaining trophies are just getting collectibles, so this may end up being my first Platinum trophy ever. Can't think of a better game to commemorate the occasion.

I thought the blazing sun constraints turned them into, "well I hope I don't die before I can finish this" too many times.

Memento

I thought during the quest right after the proving Teersa mentioned that the door opened on its own and Aloy came out and then shut. My understanding is it was the same door they couldn't open until Aloy finds the override, and the only time it opened prior to that was when Aloy as a baby comes out of it

Its the door you stand in front right after waking up from the Proving that tells you there's data corruption. One of the logs inside that place is basically just a system log of what happened in the last few minutes of that facility and some of the last entries are the main door opening, something being dropped off, closing and then everything shutting down. Aloy was placed outside of the gate, presumably where she stood to be scanned before it denied her stating data corruption.

A servitor was specifically repaired and brought back online to transport baby Aloy outside the gate. It was presumably timed in such a way that the Matriarchs would find her but without them seeing the drop off, as GAIA was specifically forbidden from contacting the outside world in any way.

Thank you guys, these explanations cleared up!

SlickVic

I thought the blazing sun constraints turned them into, "well I hope I don't die before I can finish this" too many times.

Ah, that might be the difference between doing them early on in the game and (in my case) as the one of the last things in the game. I was level 47 or so once I really started them in earnest, and had enough health to manage the more aggressive encounters. The shielf weaver armor also comes in handy.

iBlue

Do most weapons do this little damage? I am lv 13 facing the guys with the green stuff on their back and my arrows make like 19 damage

Do most weapons do this little damage? I am lv 13 facing the guys with the green stuff on their back and my arrows make like 19 damage

Use the flame arrow to blow up the blaze filled backpacks. I assume you are referring to humans with blaze backpacks?

Arrows against humans need to be headshots for high damage.

Chuckie

If you want a challenge or don't want to break the game, don't get the other 3 before you beat the main story.

I need one more power cell. But I seem to suck compared to other people here so I doubt it will break the game for me :p

I even have a hard time with
those damn Deathbringers

danowat

Banned
Just got my first ropecaster, what am I doing wrong?

I fire it at a mech and nothing happens, am I supposed to hold down fire and hit the mech then hit the ground?, or what?

I fire it at a mech and nothing happens, am I supposed to hold down fire and hit the mech then hit the ground?, or what?

Just fire it at the mech, when it hits she automatically anchors it into the ground. You do need multiple ropes to pin them down though.

Chuckie

What Dutch Gronk said... and don't put Tear mods on it (like I did)

I'm already getting the open world fatigue with this game. Despite being less than egregious than Ubi-quests, I'm not so motivated play the game anymore.

bombshell

It will break free quickly if you don't keep firing ropes at it until the rope icon that pops up on the enemy is completely filled. When it's filled the machine will be stunned. Also make sure you haven't put tear mods on it, like Tence said.

danowat

Banned
Hmmm....I put handling mods on it, but nothing else, the ropes just seem to bounce off the mech, I fired off a full clip into a sawtooth and nothing happened.......

Chuckie

Hmmm....I put handling mods on it, but nothing else, the ropes just seem to bounce off the mech, I fired off a full clip into a sawtooth and nothing happened.......

I have no idea. You're not accidentally shooting it with a Tripcaster instead of a Ropecaster right?

Paganmoon

Better weapons/arrows do more damage. Also, headshot humans :)

No, because I replaced my tripcaster slot with the ropecaster.

if you fire straight at the dinos, they'll usually (from what it looked like anyway), chew off the ropes right away. Need to fire on the sides or back, also, can't be too far away, or they'll not reach. Also, and this is just a guess again, I think if you hit parts of some armor, the rope might bounce off.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just finished up the game. Took 57 hours to get the Platinum trophy.

What an amazing journey it was. This game really is the complete package in every regard: gameplay, story, graphics, music, dialogue and lore. Loved it.

danowat

Banned
if you fire straight at the dinos, they'll usually (from what it looked like anyway), chew off the ropes right away. Need to fire on the sides or back, also, can't be too far away, or they'll not reach. Also, and this is just a guess again, I think if you hit parts of some armor, the rope might bounce off.

That might be why then, I'll have to have a play with it.

kriskrosbbk

Guys should I be bothered that I miss couple of the power cells needed for the armor.
I am almost at the end of the campaign and found just one. As far as I know I need 5 correct?
Is it possible to go back to all of these places after I beat the campaign ?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Guys should I be bothered that I miss couple of the power cells needed for the armor.
I am almost at the end of the campaign and found just one. As far as I know I need 5 correct?

Yes

Kuldar

Guys should I be bothered that I miss couple of the power cells needed for the armor?
No.
Yes.
Yes.

Venture

Certain Glint Hawks have a bright green glow on their back. Are they a slightly different type, like Redeye Watchers? Or does it indicate something else? Didn't come up with anything on Google.

If you want a challenge or don't want to break the game, don't get the other 3 before you beat the main story.
I probably won't then. I'm not going out of my way to look for them.

TTG

They're not bouncing off, you're out of range so they're retracting back essentially. It looks confusing, but the alternative is flushing a ton of wire supplies down the drain so hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom