• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm level 30, have done 2 cauldrons, and found 2 towers. My next main quest is to go to Meridian. Should I go or keep exploring and finding more cauldrons or follow main quest.

I'm level 30, have done 2 cauldrons, and found 2 towers. My next main quest is to go to Meridian. Should I go or keep exploring and finding more cauldrons or follow main quest.

I'd say go to Meridian and do the main quest there, don't follow the other main quest
(Olin's)
, you'll enjoy Meridian quest much more if you do it first.

Auctopus

They need to make items that you're constantly collecting for ammo etc. like ridge-wood and Blaze able to stack unlimited. It becomes a bit of a hinderance when you're post-game trying to just explore and have fun and you're constantly doing inventory management.

Elandyll

Banned
One thing I might have missed in the Big Explanation,
as Gaia basically tells Aloy that 19 years ago she detected a "signal" which led her to investigate what Hades was doing, and she discovered to her horror that it was actively working to go around her control (as indicated in that psycho's Tate audio logs, he found a way to allow Hades to do that by creating a "bubble" around Gaia) in order to trigger a global extinction event with the terraforming system, which is when she decided that the only thing she could do to stop him was to destroy the facility where both of them were stored by overloading their generator.
Detecting what Gaia was up to, Hades (and Gaia indicates possibly other Sub Processes as well) escaped by transmitting itself out before the explosion which took Gaia out and most of the Gaia Prime facility as well.

The vessel Hades found to host himself was a Faro Titan which somehow survived in a low powered state in spite of the general kill code sent decades earlier through the Spire by Gaia.
This is where Sylens found him, and how they devised the scheme to take control of The Shadow Carja, while Gaia had devised a plan to clone Elizabeth Sobek in order to be able to eventually access systems with her genetic identity in order to restore Gaia to full control, eventually (before that plan went off the rails when Hades managed to corrupt the Alpha ID master file).

My questions, in case I missed something:

Is it ever explained

- what the signal was, 19 years ago
- how a Faro Titan was still active, though badly damaged and low power
- If Sylens himself was at the source of that team which intruded on Nora territory just about 19 years ago to "do something", taking hostages and leading to the tragedy Rost went through.

Tyaren

giphy.gif

I didn't ever make that connection. If that is indeed true we know what the sequel will be exploring.
Though I did find it weird, that they were so vague about what the hostage takers actually were doing on Nora territory. They could have easily just said, they were a usual gang of bandits. but no, they made a big mystery about what they actually came for.

giphy.gif

I didn't ever make that connection. If that is indeed true we know what the sequel will be exploring.
Though I did find it weird, that they were so vague about what the hostage takers actually were doing on Nora territory. They could have easily just said, they were a usual gang of bandits. but no, they made a big mystery about what they were doing in the ruins.

If you talk to Mother Teersa she tells you that Rost kills everyone who was directly involved in that raid.

Tyaren

If you talk to Mother Teersa she tells you that Rost kills everyone who was directly involved in that raid.

Oh, right... I could have sworn he didn't finish off the last one, but I just rewatched the thing on Youtube. Yes, apparently he got them all. :/ A shame really, that could have been a cool connecting story.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Was itching to play a bit more so decided to knock out the hunting lodge trials I'd skipped (had just got blazing suns on the three at the first site). I just dropped it to easy so I could power through it. Only one that really frustrated me was the one with having to tie down and critical hit 3 glinthawks. Rest were fine.

So now I'm done with the game. With that I'm done with all errands and side quests sans the ancient armory one. Not willing to bother with that as I have no clue which two power cells I missed, and probalby missed ones that are a pain to get back to.

A bit over 55 hours played and easily my game of the generation as I've said a few times. :D. Can't wait for some DLC. Hope it's something meaningful and not just more hunter trials or something crummy.

Trophy wise just missing the one for getting the armor, knocking down all the dummies (also something not worth bothering with me) and missed a couple random ones (kill every type of acquisition enemy and scanning every machine type--no idea which I missed there, especially scanning since I scanned a ton). Feels lame to be that close to platinum, but I've never much cared to go after them if there's anything un-fun involved and those would require a lot of tracking around to find what I missed.

Fwiw by now you surely have the unlimited fast travel, and most items are close to a campfire. I did the training dummies pretty easily with a guide. Likewise for the one missing power cell.

cobell

These two points I felt like were the hook in the end-of-credits sequence. We don't know who sent the signal, but it seems like Sylens is very interested who they are and had intercepted Hades to start getting some answers.

bombshell

These two points I felt like were the hook in the end-of-credits sequence. We don't know who sent the signal, but it seems like Sylens is very interested who they are and had intercepted Hades to start getting some answers.

Yep, that's also my understanding of the (late game spoilers!)
post-credit scene with Sylens. He's out to find out who sent that signal, but why is he not involving Aloy in it? Is that just how he rolls?

Vaga

Most likely has something to do with the only person we haven't find about
his death yet - Faro

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
Yep, that's also my understanding of the (late game spoilers!)
post-credit scene with Sylens. He's out to find out who sent that signal, but why is he not involving Aloy in it? Is that just how he rolls?

Slylens is the type of person who would destroy the world just to obtain knowledge, he doesn't include Aloy in this because he have no need of her, he got his use from her and is focusing on this future plans, which mostly likely is not good.

Kremzeek

They need to make items that you're constantly collecting for ammo etc. like ridge-wood and Blaze able to stack unlimited. It becomes a bit of a hinderance when you're post-game trying to just explore and have fun and you're constantly doing inventory management.

no thanks. that would just make the game too easy.

i don't see how you could run out of ammo if you have all the skills that give you more resources and more ammo per craft.

kitzkozan

It is very good to see that GG is seemingly taking the CD Projekt approach. :] Offering excellent post-release to the game (which is already polished) and I'm sure we will get a significant expansion.

I'm sure Mass Effect is not awful, but I would of been pissed if I had pre-ordered when it came down to a choice between HZD and Andromeda. :p I'm nearing the end of completing a big week of works, so it's going to be a godsend to buy items in pack since I burned through my stock of wires. XD

Oh sweet. Yeah I got a few side quests to be finished.

Time to fly to 100% then!

H3TN7si.jpg

Things that count towards completion rating:
Main Quests: 21
Side Quests: 22
Errands: 14
Tallneck: 5
Hunting Grounds: 5
Bandit Camp: 6
Cauldron: 4
Corrupted Zone: 11
Banuk Figures: 6
Metal Flowers: 30
Ancient Vessel: 12
Vantage: 12
Shadow Outfits: 9
Shadow Weapons: 8
Machines Scanned: 26

smh. you guys. smh. so this means you guys didn't get to see and talk to him during the grand finale then? Nil is the best npc in the game why would you kill him?...
The man thought he could take the untakeable. Maybe during a NG+ run I'll spare his ass. I did like him though.

bombshell

Slylens is the type of person who would destroy the world just to obtain knowledge, he doesn't include Aloy in this because he have no need of her, he got his use from her and is focusing on this future plans, which mostly likely is not good.

This page is full of black bars lol

Last one from me, still end game discussion:
Yeah, agreed. He's being built up to be the villain in the expansion or sequel with that last scene.

krae_man

How do you find the missing sidequests after completing the game?

You might have to look them up online. I missed one needed for the platinum because I had just never went to the city the quest was in.

Or I guess you could just walk everyone on the map until you get the green exclamation points to appear.

VillageBC

Finished the game yesterday. Came back and got the platinum trophy for the game today. Definitely one of the best games I've played in recent memory.

One thing I might have missed in the Big Explanation,
as Gaia basically tells Aloy that 19 years ago she detected a "signal" which led her to investigate what Hades was doing, and she discovered to her horror that it was actively working to go around her control (as indicated in that psycho's Tate audio logs, he found a way to allow Hades to do that by creating a "bubble" around Gaia) in order to trigger a global extinction event with the terraforming system, which is when she decided that the only thing she could do to stop him was to destroy the facility where both of them were stored by overloading their generator.
Detecting what Gaia was up to, Hades (and Gaia indicates possibly other Sub Processes as well) escaped by transmitting itself out before the explosion which took Gaia out and most of the Gaia Prime facility as well.

The vessel Hades found to host himself was a Faro Titan which somehow survived in a low powered state in spite of the general kill code sent decades earlier through the Spire by Gaia.
This is where Sylens found him, and how they devised the scheme to take control of The Shadow Carja, while Gaia had devised a plan to clone Elizabeth Sobek in order to be able to eventually access systems with her genetic identity in order to restore Gaia to full control, eventually (before that plan went off the rails when Hades managed to corrupt the Alpha ID master file).

My questions, in case I missed something:

Is it ever explained

- If Sylens himself was at the source of that team which intruded on Nora territory just about 19 years ago to "do something", taking hostages and leading to the tragedy Rost went through.
PKoUlut.png

danowat

Banned
When you feel like you're getting a little bit comfortable with the combat and feeling pretty strong you come across 4 stalkers and think, come on then, come and 'ave some.....

then you get absolutely wrecked.....

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Gotta mention a few instances when Aloy's character writing really came through and wowed me:

When
Sylens tries to school Aloy on the Earth's shape, that it wasn't "flat as she believed", and she responds with "why would I think that? During lunar eclipses the Earth casts a curved shadow" Which leaves Sylens absolutely stumped, "buh-..err..we'll discuss it later! Keep moving!"

Thought that was great.

Then when
Talanah shares her story of following her family's tradition in the Lodge despite Carja customs, and Aloy parallels herself being an underdog and outcast saying "The Nora wanted nothing but to distance themselves from me, now everywhere I go I am "Aloy of the Nora", it should be "Aloy despite the Nora"

And lastly the exchange between
Erend and her after foiling Dervahl. Erend admits he thought himself a big shot talking up a pretty village girl, only now he realises he was lucky to have a minute to talk to her, and not to forget him as she goes on to change the world.

Really, really good moments of character development there for me.

I think Guerrilla have themselves a total knockout with Aloy, and so far, the best character this year.

KWbmpmH.jpg

Yopis

When you feel like you're getting a little bit comfortable with the combat and feeling pretty strong you come across 4 stalkers and think, come on then, come and 'ave some.....

then you get absolutely wrecked.....

What difficulty are you on? Wish this game was harder and rewarded you for finishing on highest difficulty. Maybe an item or something or trophy for kicks. Rest of game is pretty good.

Playsage

Gotta mention a few instances when Aloy's character writing really came through and wowed me:

When
Sylens
tries to school Aloy on
the Earth's shape, that it wasn't "flat as she believed", and she responds with "why would I think that? During lunar eclipses the Earth casts a curved shadow" Which leaves Sylens absolutely stumped, "buh-..err..we'll discuss it later! Keep moving!"

Thought that was great.

Then when Talanah shares her story of following her family's tradition in the Lodge despite Carja customs, and Aloy parallels herself being an underdog and outcast saying "The Nora wanted nothing but to distance themselves from me, now everywhere I go I am "Aloy of the Nora", it should be "Aloy despite the Nora"

And lastly the exchange between Erend and her
after foiling Dervahl
. Erend admits he thought himself a big shot talking up a pretty village girl, only now he realises he was lucky to have a minute to talk to her, and not to forget him as she goes on to change the world.

I think Guerrilla have themselves a total knockout with Aloy, and so far, the best character this year.

KWbmpmH.jpg
I think you should spoiler tag this post.

danowat

Banned
What difficulty are you on? Wish this game was harder and rewarded you for finishing on highest difficulty. Maybe an item or something or trophy for kicks. Rest of game is pretty good.
Hard, I switch between hard and normal, but I'm obviously not as good as some, because the game is far from easy!

When Sylens tries to school Aloy on the Earth's shape, that it wasn't "flat as she believed", and she responds with "why would I think that? During lunar eclipses the Earth casts a curved shadow" Which leaves Sylens absolutely stumped, "buh-..err..we'll discuss it later! Keep moving!"

Thought that was great.

Then when Talanah shares her story of following her family's tradition in the Lodge despite Carja customs, and Aloy parallels herself being an underdog and outcast saying "The Nora wanted nothing but to distance themselves from me, now everywhere I go I am "Aloy of the Nora", it should be "Aloy despite the Nora"

And lastly the exchange between Erend and her after foiling Dervahl. Erend admits he thought himself a big shot talking up a pretty village girl, only now he realises he was lucky to have a minute to talk to her, and not to forget him as she goes on to change the world.

KWbmpmH.jpg
I loved when Talanah called her "Aloy Despite the Nora" to get a laugh out of her.

hope

Banned
Holy Shit.The Road to Meridian.I just roamed 2 hours straight.Just running,seeing and nothing .Cant believe my eyes .What have you done GG.Holy Shit.

Some of the stuff feels like i am on a Jurassic Island.

Mind Blown.

I think its crazy how they keep patching all these glitches when I haven't ran into a single 1 over my 44hours of playtime before the 1st patch. Game only froze for me once, after playing for 12+ hours straight 1 day lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom