• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

6OLUTpQ.gif

Lol, and here I thought some of them I've fought were big.

That is absurdly big. Can't even imagine fighting that.

Yeah, I remember those times where I just couldn't imagine taking down a machine as big as Thunderjaw. I was already struggling hard with a Sawtooth and they are tiny compared to a Thunderjaw...

But the game did a good job when it comes to teaching the player to be bad ass.
It doesn't feel like I am able to beat Thunderjaws because I have much better weapons and armor, but because I am a much better hunter.

Also, has someone made a gif of Aloys facial animation when she is balancing on a rope or on these rappel down ledges? I think they're great.

Spoilery question regarding something else:
How do you kill Nil? I cleared all the bandit camps and never saw the opportunity to kill him.

TheStig88

Spoilery question regarding something else:
How do you kill Nil? I cleared all the bandit camps and never saw the opportunity to kill him.
I believe he shows up at the last bandit camp before you clear it and you go from there, at least that's how it happened for me. I'm not sure what happens if you've already cleared the last one before talking to him though.

I do find the instructions for hunting trials to be overly obtuse ... If I have to your down 3 Glinthawks and hit each one with a critical strike, could you not just tell me that? There's nothing fun about trying to find out what the requirements for something actually are, imo. Just feels like a waste of time and ammunition.

That said, fucking love the game! Way behind the curve, 60-odd hours in with tons of stuff still to do. So, so good ...

Fbh

So no directly game related but does anyone have good HDR settings for this? (I have a JS 8500 but I guess oher samsung models aren't too different).

During the day it looks AMAZING, but at night I feel like the blacks get a bit crushed. Hasen't happened with other games

MaKTaiL

I do find the instructions for hunting trials to be overly obtuse ... If I have to your down 3 Glinthawks and hit each one with a critical strike, could you not just tell me that? There's nothing fun about trying to find out what the requirements for something actually are, imo. Just feels like a waste of time and ammunition.

That said, fucking love the game! Way behind the curve, 60-odd hours in with tons of stuff still to do. So, so good ...
What do you mean? The trial clearly states you have to get 3 critical strikes on Glinthawks.

carlsojo

I believe he shows up at the last bandit camp before you clear it and you go from there, at least that's how it happened for me. I'm not sure what happens if you've already cleared the last one before talking to him though.

A quest will show up in your log
to talk to him if you cleared it before talking to him. I believe it is called Farewells or something.

BigDug13

If you have the HUD turned off, touch the touchpad and the requirements for the hunt should be listed on the side.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"

Instead of wasting ammunition and time, hit "Restart from save" every time you fail an objective and bask in the glory of getting a blazing sun on your "first try" every time.

Venture

I was fighting some bandits last night and one of them yells "Get out of the kill zone!" Not sure if it was something scripted for that one particular time or if it's random. I've only heard it once.

Szadek

I will mostly like not platinum the game, since finding the stuff that doesn't appear on the map is too annoying, but I will do everything else.

Veelk

Banned
Hey, I just started my playthrough. I just got to the part where they opened the gate for Rost and Aloy.

I am VERY impressed with the game so far, on every level, but especially storytelling. It's not perfect, there are a ton of nitpicks I have about this dialogue bit or that scene, and the animation on characters faces and expressions could definitely be better (though it's thankfully not ME:Andromeda levels lol), but they have used their time to establish a pretty interesting world filled with decent characters. Rost in particular is a really well done father figure imo, specifically because he doesn't just feel like an idealization by Aloy (a trope that rather annoyed me with, say, Rise of the Tomb Raider), but rather just a genuinely kind man who raised her as a child. In fact, you could question his parenting given how the scenes played out with him when she was young. But it makes it feel very human and authentic rather than frustrating the player with how he acts.

And, of course, the game is jaw droppingly gorgeous. And I say that as someone who was never that impressed with Killzone's looks. I'm still only at the beginning, but I really would have just never expected this kind of game from Guerilla. THis is the most enthusiastic start to a game I've had in a long, long time.

Think I did too many side quests for my own good. I'm 50 plus hours in and I've just wanted it to end already for the last few hours. Loved the game but I should have progressed much earlier as the combat is getting old.

NeoBob688

A few questions:

1) There is a very tall black tower on the map in the desert. How can I reach that area?

2) Can I buy ingredients to craft potions anywhere?

3) I have mainly used melee spear for my 30 hours playtime, with shadow hunter bow to supplement. What weapons should I purchase / ammo upgrades to get to tackle the harder end game enemies? It is hard to tell what is useful and what isn't. Also, what are must-get weapons and armor? Currently a lot of it seems not that great.

4) What do I need to progress the quest 'ancient armory.' I currently have 2 power cells.

Thanks.

Euler007

A few questions:

1) There is a very tall black tower on the map in the desert. How can I reach that area?

2) Can I buy ingredients to craft potions anywhere?

3) I have mainly used melee spear for my 30 hours playtime, with shadow hunter bow to supplement. What weapons should I purchase / ammo upgrades to get to tackle the harder end game enemies? It is hard to tell what is useful and what isn't. Also, what are must-get weapons and armor? Currently a lot of it seems not that great.

4) What do I need to progress the quest 'ancient armory.' I currently have 2 power cells.

Thanks.

Melee is extremely underpowered, you're better off shooting or slinging enemies at close range. A low setup, high DPS method is to open with a tearblast arrow to remove weapons and armor, lob frost bombs until the freeze meter is full, and then open up with hardpoint arrows or sticky bombs. You can tie down a storm bird, freeze hit and stack a bunch of sticky bomb and kill hit very fast. Feels cheap but not as cheap as corruption arrows or silent strike on weak enemies.

Speaking of silent strike, I've seen many posts about how easy it makes the game on various sites, but it's only to get rid of watchers and weak gatherer robots, you won't be one shotting any notable opponents.

You'll get the power cells as you progress through the main story.

I think the Glinthawk and Stormbird combat needed some more work, the grass and foliage is constantly getting in the way of the camera and can become a real problem when Aloy auto-platforms over rocks.

Next time they should copy what Naughty Dog did in Uncharted 4 and dither the plants when they obstruct the camera.

I think the Glinthawk and Stormbird combat needed some more work, the grass and foliage is constantly getting in the way of the camera and can become a real problem when Aloy auto-platforms over rocks.

Next time they should copy what Naughty Dog did in Uncharted 4 and dither the plants when they obstruct the camera.
Agreed, was pretty irritating when that happened.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
wg4jjF2.jpg

Straight from the intro, almost.

Fuck, I hope Guerrilla Cambridge whips up a sequel.

jmaine_ph

Story beat. Platinum obtained. WOW! What an amazing journey! This game has easily become my favorite game this gen and I have to congratulate Guerrilla Games on creating such an amazing experience that I'll never forget.

BumRush

Does overriding a machine actually help you defeat said machine in any meaningful way, or is it more for having one machine fight others for you?

sca2511

I love going to the vantage points and seeing what used to be at that location. I sit there trying to move the camera around to see more of the small revealed image

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom