• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think i'll end up spending more time taking pics/doing gifs than playing it...this game is so,so good

neN79Kj.gif

I'm on the "seeker at the gates" quest right after you supposedly
gain the ability to control the machines
. my objective is to "test the override machine."

it's just infinitely spawning these things and I've killed 30 of them so far.. i have no idea what I'm supposed to do. i tried sneaking up on them, i looked in my inventory.. I'm sure it has something to do with the staff. I'm an idiot.

it's just infinitely spawning these things and I've killed 30 of them so far.. i have no idea what I'm supposed to do. i tried sneaking up on them, i looked in my inventory.. I'm sure it has something to do with the staff. I'm an idiot.

You sneak up behind one and hold square to take control of it.

CHC

I have to say how refreshing it is to play a new IP not based on any existing media whatsoever. I don't think I really consciously realized how rare it is for a game to not assume you have any previous knowledge about anything, and how nice it is.

The whole beginning is very well paced with regards to introducing new characters, terms, and ideas. It gives you everything you need to know in a really smart, succinct way. I almost can't remember the last time a game has done this in such an elegant way, without making me need to read codex entries, know about previous games, or keep up with dozens of front-loaded character introductions.

guys don't fall for th--

You sneak up behind one and hold square to take control of it.
too late.

No. I mean people literally saying "I don't get why..." or "I don't see how..." (for example: "I don't get how people are enjoying the story." "I don't see how the combat is any more engaging than ____________").

Those blanket statements in general about any game is shortsighted. People enjoy games for radically different reasons.

Are the war bow or sharpshooter bow worth buying?

I took a look earlier and to me it looked like they have worse stats than the bow you start with. Probably not.

Btw, I just read we are looking at a 25-30 hours main quest story line. Is that true? We could end up with 40-50 hours of content which is kinda insane.

Have the same question.

When I entered my preorder code and started the game, I had a voucher in my special objects bag (not 100% sure what it's called in English). Afterwards you go to any vendor and then take a look at their treasures/loot boxes in the purchase tab (not 100% sure about naming again). There you can buy the rewards in turn for the voucher you received.

Gudji

When I entered my preorder code and started the game, I had a voucher in my special objects bag (not 100% sure what it's called in English). Afterwards you go to any vendor and then take a look at their treasures/loot boxes in the purchase tab (not 100% sure about naming again). There you can buy the rewards in turn for the voucher you received.

Thank you.

Btw, I just read we are looking at a 25-30 hours main quest story line. Is that true? We could end up with 40-50 hours of content which is kinda insane.

I finished the main story after 25 hours and have around 50% completed. After
arriving in Meridian
I stopped doing any sidequests, because I wanted to know what is going on. So I have a lot of them open right now.

So I guess 50 hours is a good guess to get to 100%

Are the war bow or sharpshooter bow worth buying?

YES to the Sharpshooter Bow, especially in its later incarnations (Shadow Sharpshooter Bow).

Some item / strategy spoils:

The Shadow Sharpshooter's Tear Arrows are god-tier for removing machine components in just one or two hits. You can negate entire enemy attacks at the start of the fight, knock off machine guns you can pick up and use yourself, or just remove a bunch of armor plating to reveal the weaker tissue beneath.

Even at its base level, the Sharpshooter Bow is initially pretty powerful and has a built-in zoom -- great for sniping.

The War Bow and Sling accomplish similar things (huge elemental impact) at different ranges, long and short. Shock and Freeze (both available through these weapons) are undeniably useful, but I have a feeling most people will gravitate toward one or the other because of the range differences.

Anyone not get the pre-order bonus from Amazon? I'm assuming there should have been a card with a code in the case. I just have one advertising MLB The Show and the PS4 Pro.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Thank you!

GravyButt

Fighting one of those crab looking machines that take forever to kill. Going great and bam out of nowhere a pack of watchers and scrappers mess up my day. So great though

I wonder if Kojima and his team are already playing the game to check the awesomeness of this engine. And people still doubt Death Stranding wasn't real-time.
I wonder what his team with all their expertise can do with such engine.

ValfarHL

I wonder if Kojima and his team are already playing the game to check the awesomeness of this engine. And people still doubt Death Stranding wasn't real-time.
I wonder what his team with all their expertise can do with such engine.

Death Stranding is also open world, so I expect pretty much the same with small improvements.

Only about an hour in and man, I keep stopping just to look around. This game looks insane.

But is it just me or does movement feel really strange at times? Seems like she doesn't move forward towards the center of the screen, especially when shes off to the sides of the screen feels like shes moving diagonally instead of forward. It's fine when aiming though...

Unison

Anyone else hate the general floatiness of this?

I was expecting Monster Hunter-style gameplay, but everything here seems so weightless... like my attacks aren't even connecting with the beasts. The hit detection in general seems arbitrary and the camera is loosey-goosey.

Is it possible that this feeling goes away as you get better weapons?

Very disappointing for me, so far.

Surfheart

So the prefer performance actually says "renders the game with a smoother framerate and enhanced graphical features"

I've never seen the enhanced graphical features part mention by anyone, not even DF, it's only mentioned as a smoother framerate.

J-Skee

I can see that the permanent overscan that my TV has is really going to mess with my experience. I'm surprised that Horizon doesn't let you adjust the corners of the game like most others do. I need that badly..

I don't even have the game yet... it comes tomorrow.... and I'm already stressing about about how fast I can get a good bow and if it's easy to upgrade or if you need multiple bows and where you get them.

Unison

But is it just me or does movement feel really strange at times? Seems like she doesn't move forward towards the center of the screen, especially when shes off to the sides of the screen feels like shes moving diagonally instead of forward. It's fine when aiming though...

Not just you... I've noticed this as well. The controls in general seem odd to me.

Anyone else hate the general floatiness of this?

I was expecting Monster Hunter-style gameplay, but everything here seems so weightless... like my attacks aren't even connecting with the beasts. The hit detection in general seems arbitrary and the camera is loosey-goosey.

Is it possible that this feeling goes away as you get better weapons?

Very disappointing for me, so far.

I haven't even had this issue so far because I'm barely using the melee combat. I don't think that was ever supposed to be like MH.

The ranged combat is great though. Especially with aim assist off. The satisfaction of nailing even a watcher with a head shot.

Oh man, this game is so damn good.

Kuni

Played a couple of hours and really enjoying it so far.

It's open world but done better. The story and characters are a big hook as well. Gameplay so far is also super fun.

Really good signs so far. The atmospheric music in particular is awesome.

Holy crap! I just played for way too many hours straight and I had to force myself to stop playing. I'm impressed by too many things to even process right now.

I just took out my first
bandit camp
and honestly, I'm not sure where the criticisms regarding human enemies come from. I was using stealth, distractions, traps, sniper shots, all sorts of stuff, and it was was super fun. I think I may have even had more fun doing that than taking a base over in MGSV.

Played more and I'm just exploring and wandering around finding side quests and things. Really enjoying it at the moment and feel like I'm starting to get in the groove of things with it. The bow and arrow combat feels satisfying and I've played around with a few other weapons too.

Death Stranding is also open world, so I expect pretty much the same with small improvements.

I am sure Kojima Productions already customized the engine to their needs adding their experience with Fox Engine like what they said before. The hair tech is already theirs and looks better than in Horizon.

dealer-

Holy shit, once the game opens up. Sublime.

Still shook at the image quality. Never seen this level of fidelity on console before.

33135084086_da3440aa93_o_d.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom