• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, so for some reason it seems like all my tracking type icons don't work. When I tag enemies the little triangle doesn't show up, when I track them the path doesn't show up, and the yellow red visual signal thing isn't there. Anyone have any idea what happened?

Okay actually it seems like the tracking is okay, but tagging does nothing and this is really starting to get annoying, anyone have any ideas?

How does leveling work in this game? I notice that I'm always a couple levels behind the main quest, right now I'm doing level 12 missions as a level 7. But don't feel like anything is too hard right now.

Umm, I came across plenty of side activities on my way to earlier main quests. All of those are for level 7/8 so you might want to do those first.

Okay actually it seems like the tracking is okay, but tagging does nothing and this is really starting to get annoying, anyone have any ideas?

Same issue here, paths only show up here and then.

psychotron

My wife picked me up a copy! I've been so involved in Nioh I didn't even think about it but there was a copy waiting for me at home along with a poster. I love my wife.

Vic_Viper

Someone at Guerilla must have really liked the Red Head from Game of Thrones lol.

So far I've been disappointed by all the armor/outfits I've seen for Aloy.

latest

You're... MARRIED ?!
Lol why the shock slaythe

Elandyll

Banned
As soon as the kids are in bed, it's Horizon time!

The official art book is just gorgeous, but I had to stop reading it when I realized while looking at Locations that I had a strong chance of spoiling some things from the game.

20min away!

Drewfonse

Hunghh! I'm about 30 minutes in, and I'm already in love. Game looks stupidly gorgeous on the Pro and my 4K set. Holy shit.

Me too. Less than an hour in, but 4k/Pro is....wow. And I love the music, ambient sounds, small touches with Aloy's mannerisms, etc. Insane. Only other child in a game who I've connected with almost immediately before this was Ellie in TLOU.

I keep switching HDR on and off, can't decide which I like better.

Man this game is really hyping up this city I need to get to. But so many side quests I want to do most of them since it shows that it changes dialogue sometimes.

nOoblet16

The health herb is weird I fill it up and then after a while I notice it half empty for some reason even if I am not in combat.

Also I don't get why I do so low damage, I'm doing the fight against two corruptors and honestly even after hitting the "weak points" with fire damage I was barely doing any damage. Pretty sure I was doing same if not more with just regular arrows. Plus I was hoping hitting the weak points would make the weapons fall off but nothing of that sort happened.

The other weird thing is that if you die in a fight and restart at the checkpoint then you don't really get back your items and stuff as whatever was used is gone. This makes fights artificially harder as deaths basically means you get resource starved making the repeat attempt even harder.

Exquisik

Pulled an all-nighter last night before having to run some errands, but spent a good 5 hours of non-stop gaming. Loving it so far, and reiterating what most members have been saying, the story is very very engaging. I don't want to put the controller down, and just want to keep playing for as long as I could.

Aloy as a character was very well designed. The way she was mistreated by the others and struggled to be recognized made her feel more human compare to other protagonists. And the fact that regardless of how she was treated, she still approach others as if they have never done anything wrong to her. Also, if you're in the early area, talk to some of the villagers, you will see how disparaging they are to her.

Some tips to the newcomer.
- Be aware that your bags have limited space and your resources can fill up really fast. Each resource item take up a space in your resource bag.
- You can collect thousands of wood, but for every 250, it takes up one bag space. Same with other items but with lower amount.
- If you come across a vendor, make sure you check out all the weapons and outfits, and see which one you would like to purchase. There are items that require a certain loot items in order to be obtained. Get the items you need and sell the rest for more shards. Your resource bags will fill up really fast with the loot items.
- There's really no need to go to the snowy mountain area on the bottom left of the map if you're still in the beginning area. I wasted about 30 minutes trying to explore the whole thing, but there were only woods and herbs.

Can't wait to delve into the game again tonight.

Karak

Stoked to see so many folks enjoying it. It has been a great couple months. Sure we have had some duds. But man I have a good library right now that, if I ever get the time, going back to would be a pleasure and Horizon is one.

MaKTaiL

The health herb is weird I fill it up and then after a while I notice it half empty for some reason even if I am not in combat.

Also I don't get why I do so low damage, I'm doing the fight against two corruptors and honestly even after hitting the "weak points" with fire damage I was barely doing any damage. Pretty sure I was doing same if not more with just regular arrows. Plus I was hoping hitting the weak points would make the weapons fall off but nothing of that sort happened.
The weak point of the Scrapper has a protective cover on it. The first you time you shoot it the protective cover falls of. The second time you shoot that's when you will notice the difference in damage.

oktarb

Ahh almost off work. Can't wait to jump in and immerse myself into this alternate world of robosaurs. I'm going to take my time. I'm going to stop and smell the roses. I'm going to pick the roses and hand craft them into arrows of Doom. After I've laid waster to a random pack of stalkers I shall strip their metal skeletons for trophies and adorn my body. Yes a nice calm world immersion evening for me....roses...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Great OT! Insane how many pages this thing is at already.

Man so many great games out... Not sure which to continue playing at the moment. Am torn between Nier, Nioh and now Horizon. And all of these titles are huge time sinks. 2017 is one hell of a year to be a gamer thats for sure lol

Does the healing herb bar fill multiple times? I swear I depleted it completely but then it went straight back up to full immediately without me doing anything, like it was on to bar 2 or something.

Hiltz

I bought the game after work today. I probably won't play it until some time tonight, but will be looking forward to reading more GAF impressions about it.

nOoblet16

The weak point of the Scrapper has a protective cover on it. The first you time you shoot it the protective cover falls of. The second time you shoot that's when you will notice the difference in damage.
It's a Corruptor.

It has two weapons on its back which are the yellow points and an eye...nothing else. I shot the weapon multiple times and it said it's weak to fire but does fuck all.

I don't know what the hell I'm doing but this first sawtooth is kicking my fucking ass over and over.

Before you aggro him, lay down as many tripwires as you can craft. Then back off, shoot him, let him hit the first trip wire, keep backing off and shooting etc until dead. Be sure to hit his weak points (they glow in scan mode) with your arrows.

Does anyone else think the waypoint system needs some improvement? Whenever I'm about to reach a checkpoint I can't tell whether I'm supposed to go right or left upon reaching it because it just does not show it. Usually I pick the wrong route and need to turn around, which gets annoying very quickly. Am I missing something?

Timexy

Neo Member

Do you have the Herbalist skill? Because with it you can have up to 3 bars (or is it 4?) worth of healing, so when you fill it up, a "+" sign appears bellow it and it "resets" for you to fill again. Took me a while to realize that...

9 hours in, just finished my frist Cauldron, SIGMA, and holy cow, that
Fire Bellowback
was hard to take down :O a word of advice, do not go there unprepared lol

Exquisik

Reading through this thread, I can't believe how divided the opinion of the members are in regards to the combat (there are actually more people praising the combat than disliking it, but there are still many members that dislike the combat). So far, I love the melee combat. My only complaints is the critical hit, in that you can't just hit R1 and have it perform the critical hit, but you have to be in the right spot for the R1 prompt to show up in order to perform critical hit. I could be wrong but this happened quite a few times last night for me.

As for members complaining about not being able to hit the target using melee attack, just make sure that you're only fighting one enemy and not multiple. In the case that there are multiple enemy, the system tends to direct your melee attack to the closest enemy or an enemy that's most central to your point of view. The control requires a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of the control, the combat is really good. I love going from range to melee when the robots come charging at you. Such a satisfying feeling.

Vroadstar

I don't know what the hell I'm doing but this first sawtooth is kicking my fucking ass over and over.

Had a hard time with the first sawtooth as well. But eventually beat it and it's fairly easy. Just lay two traps (something with burn), after he trip on those two, his health will be so low it will be easier to kill him using the fire arrows.

RDreamer

Before you aggro him, lay down as many tripwires as you can craft. Then back off, shoot him, let him hit the first trip wire, keep backing off and shooting etc until dead. Be sure to hit his weak points (they glow in scan mode) with your arrows.

He proceeded to leap over the tripwires and kick my ass when I did that. Somehow they exploded but he didn't even get stunned or touched both times, too so I couldn't reuse.

Epcott

Starting area reminded me so much if AC3's (before it went downhill). Gameplay also reminds me of MGS.

I turned off the assist for finding your next go to point, set it on hard, and put HUD on dynamic.

Should take me a long time to complete, but realistically... I probably won't jump in until after Zelda.

Looks like I won't be getting this game today thanks to Amazon shipping (AMZL US) It's been out for delivery two cities over, for whatever reason, for almost 12 hours. I should have just done in store pickup with Best Buy but wanted to save myself a trip to the store. I am not about to double charge card just to end up having to return one of the copies.

I might just end up cancelling my BoTW order with Amazon too if they are adamant about using their shit service for release day shipping.

Dubz

I want to turn off the yellow icons on my screen. I've tried everything on the HUd options menu. I really just want to explore and not have yellow diamonds telling me where to go. Is this possible?

Exquisik

I want to turn off the yellow icons on my screen. I've tried everything on the HUd options menu. I really just want to explore and not have yellow diamonds telling me where to go. Is this possible?

Not that I know of. I just ignore it and create my own waypoints. Been playing with HUD on dynamic, so it hasn't really been bothering me much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom