• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

18 hrs in and am not absorbed into this world and game as I thought it would be and I can't pinpoint why. There's nothing inherently wrong with any of it per se. The characters and the world just do not intrigue me.

I just got out of the Makers End quest. The plot here lost me not out of confusion but out of interest for story being told.

The AI leaves a lot to be desired as well. I still can't wrap my head why a large or entire group of enemies are alerted to my presence if I don't ibstant-kill one of their buddies who staggers after an arrow to the arm, for example. It makes absolutely no sense.

I will keep plugging away and see if the sum is better than the parts.

jacobeid

Banned
18 hrs in and am not absorbed into this world and game as I thought it would be and I can't pinpoint why. There's nothing inherently wrong with any of it per se. The characters and the world just do not intrigue me.

I just got out of the Makers End quest. The plot here lost me not out of confusion but out of interest for story being told.

The AI leaves a lot to be desired as well. I still can't wrap my head why a large or entire group of enemies are alerted to my presence if I don't ibstant-kill one of their buddies who staggers after an arrow to the arm, for example. It makes absolutely no sense.

I will keep plugging away and see if the sum is better than the parts.

Kind of with you. I just feel like I should be enjoying the game more than I am.

Last night while playing Aloy couldn't jump on something maybe knee high and the game made me run alongside a small wall for 20ish seconds to get to a break before I could go where I needed to. There was no reason for that restriction considering beyond the small wall was just an open field and it really took me out of the experience. Why even bother going open world if you're going to bug me with something on screen 100% of the time funneling me to the next objective?

Melchiah

Fan is quiet on the map here, it used to ramp up before the patch.

I'll have to check out how it's on my system.

Last night while playing Aloy couldn't jump on something maybe knee high and the game made me run alongside a small wall for 20ish seconds to get to a break before I could go where I needed to. There was no reason for that restriction considering beyond the small wall was just an open field and it really took me out of the experience. Why even bother going open world if you're going to bug me with something on screen 100% of the time funneling me to the next objective?

That's odd, since I've been able to go to places I wasn't supposed to go by just jumping on the rocks. Some of them were behind relatively large hills.

jacobeid

Banned
That's odd, since I've been able to go to places I wasn't supposed to go by just jumping on the rocks. Some of them were behind relatively large hills.

This was during the large battle at the end of the quest "Revenge of the Nora" with the
Bellowback
. Specifically I couldn't jump over a knee-high area after the battle and had to run around a wall for a bit to find an opening heading to the next objective.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Why do the mounts constantly slow down one speed increment every 6-7 seconds? It's really f'n annoying. Even holding the button doesn't override it.

That design decision is asinine.

Melchiah

This was during the large battle at the end of the quest "Revenge of the Nora" with the
Bellowback
. Specifically I couldn't jump over a knee-high area after the battle and had to run around a wall for a bit to find an opening heading to the next objective.

I can safely say I never came across with something like that with knee-high structures. Sure, I couldn't jump over something that was too high, or through a low gap if it was partly blocked by something.

For example, this is how I got the Power Cell I missed in
All Mother's Mountain
, after the entrance was closed: https://youtu.be/eEAeXRNcFmo

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
There are certainly some invisible walls in Horizon but all in all they're pretty inoffensive and mostly blocking you off from story specific areas so you don't get there too early or bypass an important part.

HardRojo

Why do the mounts constantly slow down one speed increment every 6-7 seconds? It's really f'n annoying. Even holding the button doesn't override it.

That design decision is asinine.

Yeah, reminds me of RDR and I hated it there too, so hopefully they'll fix it in one of the QoL updates. I'd rather keep holding the button for maximum speed and leave it there, instead of having to press X every few seconds.

Spladam

I'm 10 hours in and just got to M
eridian
at level 13 which seems a bit low. Did I get here too quickly? I haven't found much reason to run around the open world because it just keeps directing me to the next mission.

Are the errands and bandit camps worth it? I'm never a fan of fetch quests so labeling things as "errands" is a really big turnoff after working all day and running errands in real life. Petty maybe but the name alone really makes me not want to engage with them.

You can turn off mission objectives all together, just select the active quest and all markers will turn off. You don't have to be directed anywhere. Defeating bandit camps opens up other quest sometimes, and merchants almost every time. The Bandit camps are also part of a greater story line with a NPC named Nil.

If I recall correctly some errands require you to defeat different machines for NPC's. Personally, I was over leveled the entire game due to playing in the sandbox, fighting machines and exploring. There are also the corrupted zones to defeat, some of which will offer a very tough challenges if you're not leveled. Most of my leveling just came from free roam fighting machines.

Also, it's worth your time to defeat the cauldrons, as they open one of the coolest game play elements.

I can safely say I never came across with something like that with knee-high structures. Sure, I couldn't jump over something that was too high, or through a low gap if it was partly blocked by something.

For example, this is how I got the Power Cell I missed in
All Mother's Mountain
, after the entrance was closed: https://youtu.be/eEAeXRNcFmo

You can return to that mountain anytime if I recall correctly, for some reason they made the confusing decision to have Mother's Watch's gates open only at night, and you have to run away and re-approach it if you fast travel to the campfire right next to the gate. You will also be granted access to it again later in the game through the main quest.

Melchiah

You can return to that mountain anytime if I recall correctly, for some reason they made the confusing decision to have Mother's Watch's gates open only at night, and you have to run away and re-approach it if you fast travel to the campfire right next to the gate. You will also be granted access to it again later in the game through the main quest.

I didn't know at the time, that the gates would be open at night. So, I went there like the video showed. When I dropped down to the building, I nearly got stuck between the wooden supporting pillars, like the guy in the video.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If you're expecting any sort of deep story or a twist don't. The story is serviceable that's about it.

Eh this isn't really true. While there is no Shamalayan twist or anything of that sort the story hardly played out how I expected it even if the tropes and such aren't something totally unseen before. There were several moments, and I'm not alone on this, were people were pretty honestly shocked.
fucking Ted Faro

chaosaeon

I didn't know at the time, that the gates would be open at night. So, I went there like the video showed. When I dropped down to the building, I nearly got stuck between the wooden supporting pillars, like the guy in the video.

Did they change that in the latest patch ? I've gone there at night, gates closed. Ran away and came back (as far as mother's cradle), gate's closed. Fast traveled from meridian to a campfire around the hunter's gathering, ran all the way to mothers watch at night, still closed.

Spladam

Did they change that in the latest patch ? I've gone there at night, gates closed. Ran away and came back (as far as mother's cradle), gate's closed. Fast traveled from meridian to a campfire around the hunter's gathering, ran all the way to mothers watch at night, still closed.

That sucks. Don'w worry about it though, you'll return there in the main quest before you have a chance to get the last power cells. I'm pretty sure it's before the last of the power cells.

Main Quest question.
Just got to "Deep secrets of the earth". Point of no return already? I got two errands left, and haven't finished the hunting trails yet. Should I do them first, or am I good to continue?

Spladam

Main Quest question.
Just got to "Deep secrets of the earth". Point of no return already? I got two errands left, and haven't finished the hunting trails yet. Should I do them first, or am I good to continue?

After the final mission, the game world will be reset to the state it was before the final mission, you can finish up anything. There is an achievement for getting every ally to help you in the final mission, you can even finish that and then start the final mission again. As far as I know, there is no quest you can fail due to progression like with Witcher 3. You are given an opportunity to resolve it all even if you finish the game.

5114cn8.gif

chaosaeon

Main Quest question.

I'm also here and hadn't considered if there's a mission that locks you into the end game or not.

Whooter

Main Quest question.

In this particular case, no, it's not the point of no return for the end of the game. It's a quest you can't leave in the middle of and go off to do something else before you finish it. You're stuck in that quest until completion.

aett

Now that I'm finished with Zelda and Persona, I decided to go back to my save file and continue HZD. I'm at the end of Cauldron Sigma and this Fire Bellowback is just destroying me every single time. I know I'm rusty at this game, but damn. I set traps, the little bots trip 'em. I finally stun the big guy, nothing seems to break his sacks or do any real damage. Feels even more frustrating that this is a level 8 quest and I'm level 12.

Kuldar

Now that I'm finished with Zelda and Persona, I decided to go back to my save file and continue HZD. I'm at the end of Cauldron Sigma and this Fire Bellowback is just destroying me every single time. I know I'm rusty at this game, but damn. I set traps, the little bots trip 'em. I finally stun the big guy, nothing seems to break his sacks or do any real damage. Feels even more frustrating that this is a level 8 quest and I'm level 12.
Wich weapons and arrows do you have?

Garlador

Is it viable to just go from main story quest to main story quest and ignore everything else or might I end up underpowered by the end game?

That depends entirely on how you're playing and what skills you're acquiring.

A really smart, tactical player can handle pretty much anything with the right gear and set-ups, while someone like, say, me prefers to bludgeon my way through encounters so I was way overleveled by the end after doing all the side quests.

Is it viable to just go from main story quest to main story quest and ignore everything else or might I end up underpowered by the end game?

If you play it on Normal or Easy, you can pretty much play it completely as a linear game, yes. You'll have to be a bit more careful about how you'll face some encounters (laying traps beforehand, focusing a bit more on stealth kills, really going for weak points and elemental weaknessses, planning threat order etc). but it can be done.

chaosaeon

Carja Hunter Bow, Tripcaster, hunter arrows, fire arrows, shock wire.

Yeah none of those sound ideal for blowing up a bellowback. I'd think precision arrows or a blast sling bomb. You could also freeze it's body and go to town with those, or you could maybe use your blast wires or proximity blast trap items might take out the front part of it. Whittling it down with hunter arrows sounds like a very long process.

Indelible

Just got the platinum trophy after about 60 hours, best PS4 exclusive in my mind. Glad I played on hard, the combat was intense for my entire play through.

Venture

Not sure if its a bug. whenever i fight the two thunderjaws in the desert valley with the two ponds my game always crashes each time.

And this just happen to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBytH8oJShI&feature=youtu.be

i downed over 2k Tjaws and this wasn't happening till the last update... But the funny thing is the game only crashes in that area. Where those two Tjaws are
You've killed too many machines. I think you broke the game lol.

Spladam

Not sure if its a bug. whenever i fight the two thunderjaws in the desert valley with the two ponds my game always crashes each time.

And this just happen to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBytH8oJShI&feature=youtu.be

i downed over 2k Tjaws and this wasn't happening till the last update... But the funny thing is the game only crashes in that area. Where those two Tjaws are
That is really strange. Lol, Maybe you're in territory the Dev's did not foresee, like they did not test for scenarios where a player has a Thunderjaw kill count of 2,000+, the game can only compute 1,999. Jk. That sucks. Save is corrupted maybe, restore to earlier hard save?
Venture beat me to it by a minute.

Nice shaky cam Sunhi, more clever editing tricks.

That is really strange. Lol, Maybe you're in territory the Dev's did not foresee, like they did not test for scenarios where a player has a Thunderjaw kill count of 2,000+, the game can only compute 1,999. Jk. That sucks. Save is corrupted maybe, restore to earlier hard save?

Venture beat me to it by a minute.

Nice shaky cam Sunhi, more clever editing tricks.

Well if that was the case then my game should crash with pretty much every machine that i downed 2k

Tjaws
RB
Watchers
Behemoths
Longlegs
Sawtooth
Snapmaws
Ravagers

Is just that one area where it crashes?

Good thing is i normally backup my save everyday both online and usb

Top Bottom