• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Keihart

Ropecaster and trip caster should be the same weapon and Alloy should be able to walk on those like any other yellow rope. It feels very redundant and restrictive. It's also very weird how alloy can't activate her own traps...anyhow, i'm having tons of fun with the game, especially the machine combat and with how beautifull the world is, bandit fights feel too restrictive more often than not and i wish there was more humor on the story tho.

I'm playing on very hard, pretty well balanced difficulty so i haven't even bother triying the lower ones.

i really wish for a sequel, there is so much room to improve and the foundations are amazing.

jmartoine

Started the game over the weekend and have put 5 or so hours into it so far. Think I've finished the "tutorial" part and it has opened up more. Some of the story notes so far have been very predictable but now that first section is out of the way I have no idea where things are going.

While for the most part the game looks stunning there have been a few instances of ugly textures that surprised me. Facial animations and character models are excellent and truly some of the best I've seen.

With that being said, the gameplay loop so far isn't really gripping me and I don't really find it fun. The individual systems of crafting, skill points, stealth and combat all seem fundamentally sound but aren't quite clicking for me.

I like that fast travelling in the world requires a consumable so it cannot be exploited. However traversal through the world feels awkward, I don't like how you can only grab onto specific ledges and rocks to climb. I should be able to jump onto a rock at waist height and climb over it but you cannot. Ideally I would like a mix between the existing system and Breath of the Wild's climbing, not able to climb every rock but having more freedom to explore the world.

Started the game over the weekend and have put 5 or so hours into it so far. Think I've finished the "tutorial" part and it has opened up more. Some of the story notes so far have been very predictable but now that first section is out of the way I have no idea where things are going.

While for the most part the game looks stunning there have been a few instances of ugly textures that surprised me. Facial animations and character models are excellent and truly some of the best I've seen.

With that being said, the gameplay loop so far isn't really gripping me and I don't really find it fun. The individual systems of crafting, skill points, stealth and combat all seem fundamentally sound but aren't quite clicking for me.

I like that fast travelling in the world requires a consumable so it cannot be exploited. However traversal through the world feels awkward, I don't like how you can only grab onto specific ledges and rocks to climb. I should be able to jump onto a rock at waist height and climb over it but you cannot. Ideally I would like a mix between the existing system and Breath of the Wild's climbing, not able to climb every rock but having more freedom to explore the world.
There's a golden travel pack that lets you unlimited fast travel

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Just want to point out that Aloy's jump is incredibly useful for scaling most objects in the game. I often "platformed" my way to a lot of places that were often lead to by high lighted paths. Obviously you can take those paths but getting to a lot of places without using them is totally feasible. I even got to a couple areas I probably wasn't supposed to using this method including a few outside of the game environment proper.

Keihart

yeah, it is funny jumping everywhere instead of climbing, took a while to come to terms with it to be honest. Still, from time to time i bump into things thinking that Alloy would climb it, thats definitely a must improvement in a sequel, make Alloy able to climb more stuff and traverse better around the environment in general, it is cool when Alloy moves kinda like Assasin's Creed but it also feels to limiting and probably is because it doesn't always help you get where you want to.

Caronte

Hi everyone, I have a quick question (don't really want to make a new thread just for this).

I just bought a PS4 Slim with the game and while it runs completely silent and the air coming out from the back is just a bit warm but not too hot, if I touch the top of the console it's actually quite hot. Should I be worried or is it normal?

HStallion

Hi everyone, I have a quick question (don't really want to make a new thread just for this).

I just bought a PS4 Slim with the game and while it runs completely silent and the air coming out from the back is just a bit warm but not too hot, if I touch the top of the console it's actually quite hot. Should I be worried or is it normal?

It happens for a lot of games, not just HZD and it shouldn't be a big deal though I know people have had issues but it seems rare enough. I believe the Pro can have some bigger issues with this.

Caronte

It happens for a lot of games, not just HZD and it shouldn't be a big deal though I know people have had issues but it seems rare enough. I believe the Pro can have some bigger issues with this.

I see. It's okay then, I was just wondering if it was the console's fault but I guess it's normal for it to get a bit hot in some of the most demanding games. Thank you for the answer.

Loving the game so far by the way, and it looks amazing even on my slim :)

HStallion

I see. It's okay then, I was just wondering if it was the console's fault but I guess it's normal for it to get a bit hot in some of the most demanding games. Thank you for the answer.

Loving the game so far by the way, and it looks amazing even on my slim :)

As long as your system has a decent bit of air flow and the vents are free of dust and clutter you should be fine. You'll probably hear the system fan going insane if you're having serious heating issues

Keihart

Just fought against the Rockbreaker, what a great enemy. My first time seeing one was in a side quest so it caught me completely off guard.

Spladam

Just fought against the Rockbreaker, what a great enemy. My first time seeing one was in a side quest so it caught me completely off guard.

Yeah, that fight caught me off guard as well, I'd say they're the toughest enemy in the game. When you clear out the corrupted zone with two of them, I'd advise doing most of the battle at range from the rocks just north of their corrupted zone.

Keihart

Improvising and figuring out how to take it out was the best, every time i get to fight a new machine i have a blast, they really are the best part of the game.

The game is not particularly difficult with all the tools you have so i'm kinda worried it'll get too easy near the end with all the upgrades and stuff. The game really needs some constraint in the equipment department. Rarely it is a choice which weapon to use if you have all of them available at any time in the menu or the suits. If there was some kind of storage and you were forced to only carry a limited amount of weapons and one outfit, your equipment choices would be a lot more meaningful.

my little victory

Jessensor

I'm in need of some advice please!

I've been smashing through the hunting grounds challenges. I'm in the very late game so it's mostly been a breeze to get the blazing suns, but I am really struggling with one challenge in particular.

Watch Out -
this stealth mission is killing me. The watchers alone would be easy enough but the presence of the stalkers and shell walkers is making this a nightmare. The watchers are also really far apart.

Any top tips greatly appreciated.

jmartoine

Just want to point out that Aloy's jump is incredibly useful for scaling most objects in the game. I often "platformed" my way to a lot of places that were often lead to by high lighted paths. Obviously you can take those paths but getting to a lot of places without using them is totally feasible. I even got to a couple areas I probably wasn't supposed to using this method including a few outside of the game environment proper.

Just want to admit that I was wrong about this. After playing for a few more hours yesterday I have gotten to grips with the movement and it is far more intuitive than I first thought.

Spladam

Good fight! In the description for them they say if you tear arrow their feet they will not be able to dig. I wasted a lot of time doing this with in two fights I had with them, and I'm pretty sure I managed to knock everything off all four feet (lots of blast arrows, real hard to hit) but I never got them to stop digging, it's only when they were low on health did they seem to not dig.

Keihart

Good fight! In the description for them they say if you tear arrow their feet they will not be able to dig. I wasted a lot of time doing this with in two fights I had with them, and I'm pretty sure I managed to knock everything off all four feet (lots of blast arrows, real hard to hit) but I never got them to stop digging, it's only when they were low on health did they seem to not dig.

Watch my video then, i disabled him before putting any damage. He even had to emerge from underground when the las blast arrow exploded. At that time i didn't had the focus information on the notebook tho, it was just intuition i was pretty excited that it worked.

I'm playing on very hard if that makes any difference tho.

Same video i posted before here

GG should make an adjustement to the photo mode imho, the reset button should just reset one parameter at the time, not the whole thing, or at least ask a confirmation before resetting everything. I keep confusing T with X and i keep resetting everything, losing many beautiful shots ;-;

FF9UNDy.gif

Currently wondering which version of the game to buy. It'd on sale next few days in the UK

Options are 40 quid for the deluxe on psn with the dlc or physical for 30 quid.

Wondering how good the contents of the deluxe pack is? Are the outfits pretty cool or just a bit useful for like an hour into the game.

hesido

Oh, again, can't buy this because stupid PSN failing on 2 of my credit cards. I wish I bought this and went for the PSN plus extension afterwards. I got the extension but it failed on this payment. Added another card, it fails there too.

Zackat

What's the recommended level for the second Deathbringer that walks around? I'm level 15 and struggling to get anywhere with it.

level doesn't really have a huge effect on your power level. you just need to go at it with a concrete strategy

strategy tip if you want it

if you wait for it to overheat you can shoot it in the coils that it pops out.
This does big damage.

Rush_Khan

level doesn't really have a huge effect on your power level. you just need to go at it with a concrete strategy

strategy tip if you want it

if you wait for it to overheat you can shoot it in the coils that it pops out.
This does big damage.
Thing is, I only have 350 hp, so it can pretty much kill me in 3 hits. It feels like it's impossible to stealth kill the Eclipse enemies as the robot always detects me even when it's looking away.

Zackat

So, what are the odds of us getting some early DLC announcements next week at E3?

we just need to figure out how to blackmail Sunhi into spilling the beans

Thing is, I only have 350 hp, so it can pretty much kill me in 3 hits. It feels like it's impossible to stealth kill the Eclipse enemies as the robot always detects me even when it's looking away.

Go try out some side quests and level up some talents, then. There is a wealth of things to do to get your level up :)

Will F

Got this in the PSN sale today and got through what i'd refer to as "tutorial valley". Enjoying the gameplay so far and looking forward to really digging into the game. But so far the writing has been pretty meh (I think Witcher 3 has probably ruined my ability to enjoy the narrative in many open world RPGish games for the next few years) and the facial animations are far too uncanny valley. The audio / music is pretty top notch though, highly recommend playing this with a good set of headphones.

Spladam

What's the recommended level for the second Deathbringer that walks around? I'm level 15 and struggling to get anywhere with it.
Where was this Deathbringer that walks around?

Edit: Nevermind, the one on the main story quest. I was always over-leveled on the main story because I spent so much time exploring and hunting. Try that.

Melchiah

I've been smashing through the hunting grounds challenges. I'm in the very late game so it's mostly been a breeze to get the blazing suns, but I am really struggling with one challenge in particular.

Watch Out -
this stealth mission is killing me. The watchers alone would be easy enough but the presence of the stalkers and shell walkers is making this a nightmare. The watchers are also really far apart.

Equip gear and mods that have the highest stealth value, and mark all the watchers before starting the timer.

LoveCake

Just beat the Redmore, took a while but got it done in the end and I didn't use much equipment in the end after learning it's moves.

Phreak47

Watch Out -

Yes that is one of the more difficult ones.

Start at the far right rope. There's one watcher that cruises right by there and he's pretty much alone. Time your descent so he's walking right under you as you are landing, this way you have the first one taken out in the first few seconds.

The next nearest one is further back from there and near some shell walkers. There are two in that area. If you're lucky you can get the second or third before any stalkers are onto you. Avoid those flare beacons if you can.

I also discovered a cool trick while doing this one. If you are crouch walking to catch up to one for the kill, you can save time by dashing the last few yards, going into a slide towards him, and hammer on R1 as you do so. Even if he starts to become aware of you,
you should still get it.

Phreak47

So are all of those the known max limit for each mod? I have a bunch that are close to those numbers (at least 100% of my mods are purple/very rare) but I don't know if I have any that have three attribute boosts on them. Maybe one or two. I suppose this comes from farming Thunderjaws.

Also, wish there were such things as Rockbreaker and Deathbringer zones, so you could mess with those at your leisure. You only get them in missions and that one corrupted zone.

So are all of those the known max limit for each mod? I have a bunch that are close to those numbers (at least 100% of my mods are purple/very rare) but I don't know if I have any that have three attribute boosts on them. Maybe one or two. I suppose this comes from farming Thunderjaws.

Also, wish there were such things as Rockbreaker and Deathbringer zones, so you could mess with those at your leisure. You only get them in missions and that one corrupted zone.

Handling Max is 67%

50% is the max for
Damage
Tear
Fire
Corruption
Shock
Freeze

Armor

Resist Ranged Attack - Resist Melee Attacks 20% is the max

Stealth 15% is the max

For the resist element 33% is the max
Resist Fire
Resist Corruption
Resist Shock
Resist Freeze

They all come with a secondary and tertiary

What a scrub.

Farming easy Thunderjaws and Rockbreakers for mods.

Only has 27 Stormbird kills in 500+ hours :p

There is a Rockbreaker spawn with 2 of them outside of Sunfall.

Melchiah

4 frozen arrows and 10 precision arrows does the SB in for me,

Just trying to figure out why i'm a scrub cause i choose not to fight the SB
?

I've never tried that combo against them. I've also got a lower amount of Stormbird kills compared to Thunderjaws and Rockbreakers, partly because TJs come in pairs in some areas, and I haven't visited the areas where SBs roam that often.

I've never tried that combo against them. I've also got a lower amount of Stormbird kills compared to Thunderjaws and Rockbreakers, partly because TJs come in pairs in some areas, and I haven't visited the areas where SBs roam that often.

Yup love the area with the two TJs, The RB only appear in one spot, Also love the area with the two Behemoths

Just make sure that you're Sharpshot bow has damage of 149, And also that you have 3 50% Freeze mods on you're (Shadow war bow) or (Lodge war bow) Or it could take longer to freeze the SB,

Even after all those hours with this game, I'm yet not tired of yet, I just love tinkering with the machines and all the fun ways you can down them

Hope they announce DLC at E3 so excited

Quick question what happens when you finish the game?

I'm on the
Looming Shadow main quest
, is this the end?

Can I continue playing when I'm done Anne clean up everything I've not done yet?

Top Bottom