• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Harmen

Finally got it. And damn, 10 hours in this is hitting all the right beats for me. Fantastic encounters with mechanimals, amazing visuals/artdirection, likeable and diverse cast, interesting and well directed story, streamlined RPG elements that don't drag the experience and a lovely (thus far) varied open world. Sure, the main story thus far uses many well tried tropes but the way the basic premise (tribal life in a world taken over by mechanic animals) is worked out makes it work and stand out on it's own. And thus far everything seems well thought out, with a good amount of interesting lore. And Aloy is indeed a great character.

Sure, the main story thus far uses many well tried tropes but the way the basic premise (tribal life in a world taken over by mechanic animals) is worked out makes it work and stand out on it's own. And thus far everything seems well thought out, with a good amount of interesting lore. And Aloy is indeed a great character.

And you probably haven't even hit the best story beats yet :D One of the best things about the story is how it takes a completely ludicrous set up and not only makes it work, but is also painfully plausible.

Rush_Khan

Just finished it. Gotta say the beginning is incredibly slow but by the end I was left wanting more of what was a really great story.

LoveCake

I have a problem and was wondering if I could get some advice, what items should I keep in my resources inventory?

It is always about 90/100 items and I don't know what to keep and what to sell!

I have been short of a certain part to be able to trade for a new weapon or clothing and had to go out and hunt for that item specifically.

I am about 48hrs in and level 31, I am about to do The Grave Horde main quest, as I have been doing other things, I also only have about 3000 shards, so if I am able to use some of the robot resources for a weapon or clothing I then don't have enough shards :/

Why isn't there a house or hut somewhere where you can store items, I know as soon as I sell them I will need one of them for a trade for a item.

I have been looking though the official guide book I have got but it doesn't really give any guidance in this area.

Can anyone help or advise please?

Alpende

I just sold all my junk and if I had a lot of stacks from one item I'd just sell 2-5 stacks of it. I always kept rope in stock though because I used that a lot. Other stuff, like resources for corruption arrows, I used less and would sell faster. If I were you I would sell the resources you don't use a lot in the game. So for example, if you don't use ice arrows a bunch then I'd suggest selling a couple of stacks of ice ingredients (don't know the name for it that's used in the game). Also, check how many stack of flowers you have in your inventory, they add up. Again, I didn't use a lot of potions so having a ton of fire and ice flowers for potions is kind a waste of inventory space.

Other than that, I usually kept the rarer items such as hearts and lenses from the bigger enemies. In the end I didn't really need those either but I didn't know that at the time.

LoveCake

I just sold all my junk and if I had a lot of stacks from one item I'd just sell 2-5 stacks of it. I always kept rope in stock though because I used that a lot. Other stuff, like resources for corruption arrows, I used less and would sell faster. If I were you I would sell the resources you don't use a lot in the game. So for example, if you don't use ice arrows a bunch then I'd suggest selling a couple of stacks of ice ingredients (don't know the name for it that's used in the game). Also, check how many stack of flowers you have in your inventory, they add up. Again, I didn't use a lot of potions so having a ton of fire and ice flowers for potions is kind a waste of inventory space.

Other than that, I usually kept the rarer items such as hearts and lenses from the bigger enemies. In the end I didn't really need those either but I didn't know that at the time.

This is my worry :/

The issue is really, there is no way Aloy can carry all of the items (I know this is a game) but with the skills she has she could build a hut out in the sticks and furthermore she the king owes her so a house in the town is not out of the question either, as you never know what you are going to need 100 slots isn't really enough imo.

Hmm

Melchiah

Yup love the area with the two TJs, The RB only appear in one spot, Also love the area with the two Behemoths

Just make sure that you're Sharpshot bow has damage of 149, And also that you have 3 50% Freeze mods on you're (Shadow war bow) or (Lodge war bow) Or it could take longer to freeze the SB,

Even after all those hours with this game, I'm yet not tired of yet, I just love tinkering with the machines and all the fun ways you can down them

Hope they announce DLC at E3 so excited

I may have to try that mod setup for Sharpshot bow, when I return to the game with the eventual DLC, or NG+.

Harmen

So I just had the mission
Makers End
and am I the only one who thinks this was quite a bit like a mini-MGS contained within Horizon?
mysterious stranger talking trough codec and the deathbringer looks like a Metal Gear

Man, thinking about it, I wished MGSV had a more streamlined mission like this...

That said, I absolutely blow at this game. I had to cheese parts and still almost used all my health items during the mission I state above. I play on normal and was two levels above the reccomended level. I mean, I am not the best gamer out there, but it can't be right that I feel like Bloodborne is a relaxed stroll through the park compared to this (on normal)? Two hits and I am dead, sometimes almost one, and I am constantly surrounded by enemies, despite taking some out with a bit of stealth. I still use my starting gear, is that it? But I don't see that much stat improvement when I look in the merchant stores? I do use fire arrows and wiretraps.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I just had the mission
Makers End
and am I the only one who thinks this was quite a bit like a mini-MGS contained within Horizon?
mysterious stranger talking trough codec and the deathbringer looks like a Metal Gear

Man, thinking about it, I wished MGSV had a more streamlined mission like this...

That said, I absolutely blow at this game. I had to cheese parts and still almost used all my health items during the mission I state above. I play on normal and was two levels above the reccomended level. I mean, I am not the best gamer out there, but it can't be right that I feel like Bloodborne is a relaxed stroll through the park compared to this (on normal)? Two hits and I am dead, sometimes almost one, and I am constantly surrounded by enemies, despite taking some out with a bit of stealth. I still use my starting gear, is that it? But I don't see that much stat improvement when I look in the merchant stores? I do use fire arrows and wiretraps.

Stats are rather pointless until you start getting a ton of high end mods. Its all about using the items and weapons given to you to defeat your enemies. Things like the trip caster can make certain fights a hell of a lot easier and more manageable.

Harmen

Stats are rather pointless until you start getting a ton of high end mods. Its all about using the items and weapons given to you to defeat your enemies. Things like the trip caster can make certain fights a hell of a lot easier and more manageable.

Hmm, ok, I think I will experiment a bit more in the open world and will buy other types of weapons/arrows as well. And I just discovered there is a slowmo button (beyond slowmo gliding/jumping), so that will make aiming for vital parts easier. No idea how I missed that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hmm, ok, I think I will experiment a bit more in the open world and will buy other types of weapons/arrows as well. And I just discovered there is a slowmo button (beyond slowmo gliding/jumping), so that will make aiming for vital parts easier. No idea how I missed that.

Yeah the slow mo is something you should really take advantage of as it makes targeting specific weak points far easier. That and yeah you should really buy most of the other weapons, even the different bows as each bow can use a certain set of arrows, many of which others cannot.

Hmm, ok, I think I will experiment a bit more in the open world and will buy other types of weapons/arrows as well.

That's a good idea, yeah. Stuff like the ropecaster and the shock arrows/bombs can make encounters much more manageable by taking some enemies momentarily out of the fray, for instance, and tear arrows will help get rid of ranged weapons.

Experiment a bit and find a loadout that matches your play style, as there are quite a few ways to tackle battles.

Spladam

Bomb sling with mods is really powerful too. I kept lots of blazes on me because I used it like a grenade launcher to get out of a pinch.

Are GG gonna show anything from the DLC at E3? I haven't been able to dig around yet.

Outside of the trailer and a brief press release stating that there'll be new enemies, not too much.

I wanna know if they're raising the level cap/adding a fourth ability tree/adding a fourth equipment tier/adding new mechanics.

So I started playing this a few days ago (it's awesome) but I managed to go into Cauldron SIGMA when exploring and got to
the fire bellowback battle
inadvertently. I'm finding I'm woefully underprepared, and also have just been quicksaving my way from checkpoint to checkpoint and now appear to be stuck just before the battle with no way to exit.

Am I completely fucked? I basically just have the starter bow & the tripcaster - I have a decent amount of health but I haven't managed to even get close to taking it out. Any chance I can complete this?

So I started playing this a few days ago (it's awesome) but I managed to go into Cauldron SIGMA when exploring and got to
the fire bellowback battle
inadvertently. I'm finding I'm woefully underprepared, and also have just been quicksaving my way from checkpoint to checkpoint and now appear to be stuck just before the battle with no way to exit.

Am I completely fucked? I basically just have the starter bow & the tripcaster - I have a decent amount of health but I haven't managed to even get close to taking it out. Any chance I can complete this?

You can basically beat any enemy with any equipment in the game but without the sharpshooter bow it's gonna be tougher. That said, hitting the Blaze canisters underneath it with fire arrows will blow them up and deal damage to it, and hitting the two larger Blaze sacs (one under its throat, one bulbous one on its back) with regular arrows will eventually detonate those as well.

The basic tripcaster's not gonna do too much for you in this situation.

Why is this game so difficult to play via Remote Play on the Vita? I don't understand why Guerrilla Games kept all remote play buttons stock, considering how heavily L2/R2 are used, with no way to customize the controls.

/endComplaint

g5F54Z3.gif

KnpnTWL.gif

You can basically beat any enemy with any equipment in the game but without the sharpshooter bow it's gonna be tougher. That said, hitting the Blaze canisters underneath it with fire arrows will blow them up and deal damage to it, and hitting the two larger Blaze sacs (one under its throat, one bulbous one on its back) with regular arrows will eventually detonate those as well.

The basic tripcaster's not gonna do too much for you in this situation.

I tried it again after reading that and nailed it first time.

Hey, I just got the game on the current sale and saw the discount for the DLC. Does anyone know if that's good for this week only or for pre-order at any time until it releases?

Not sure about that, but might as well pre-order it if you love the game.

GG dlc's are never very expensive anyway, and they get discounted fairly quickly after release, so if you want to wait you probably can.

wWCfQyI.gif

Had to use Imgur's vid to gif tool as any gifs I try to make with photoshop end up being around 40-60mb :(

I have no idea how Sunhi gets all of his gifs down to 10-18mb haha

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Not a fan of that crouch-shot animation. Pretty boring, awkward pose, and she doesn't aim in any way.

I hope they revisit that in HZD2. She should at least pretend to aim. There are a dozen different poses you could use that would be a low profile stealthy draw... without looking as awkward.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So all we know about the DLC is that its this year at some point?

No dates? PS Store says 12/31/2017 but that feels placeholdery.

I mean we can take some guesses from the trailer. The bi one I think we've learned is setting, it'll definitley be in
Banuk Country
I was actually pretty bummed about the trailer because I really wanted to see some new robot designs. Really hoping for a robot Owl or something. Though, with the setting, we can guess there'll probably be more
ice based animals like walruses

I just found out what
Project Zero Dawn is and got captured.
. How far along am I in the game story? It's so good that I don't want it to end!

Fuck it. Rock Breakers are pissing me off so I'm shelving this game.

I just fought one yesterday. I use tear blast arrows to break his parts, then I used triple precision arrow...and hit something...did like 1.9k or something. The life bar went from half down to 5%. I'm not sure where I hit it. I didn't know it was possible to get such damage.

@Ruthless_Barbarian Now do you accept my perfect save, don't really need the super rare coils no more, But i could had easily killed 2000 SB if i wanted to

Man they die fast 4 freeze arrows and a few sticky bombs... and done

If fact i find the SB easier to kill then the Tjaw and the RB And speaking of the RB i officially have downed over 5K of those suckers now

Doomsayer

I finally bought this game and I'm having so much fun so far. Challenging, rewarding, and the plot so far has been great. I need to get over my hoarding in loot based games though... I can already see it becoming a problem.

Certain resources say they are only for selling to merchants, is that true? It's so hard to let go!

takriel

I just started playing the game yesterday with my girlfriend. We were both nearly in tears after seeing the transition from child Aloy to adult Aloy and the training montage. What a superb presentation.

However, our OG PS4 won't stop screaming during play sessions. Anyone here with a PS4 Slim having the same problems? Or is this console silent during play?

Jobbs

Banned
Finally started playing this. I checked it out briefly when it came out but was quickly railroaded by Zelda.

I love the game -- I love most things about it, and there's very little to fault so far (the human enemies are pretty lame, though).

Here's my only problem... The visual fidelity is so high, and the screen is so dense -- every single frame has so much going on -- That I find it difficult to take everything in. It's tiring to look at. Anyone experience this? Could just be my old shitty eyes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get annihilated by bellowbacks again.

grmlin

My Slim is pretty quiet, but the fan gets "loud" sometimes. Don't know which ingame events trigger that.

I did not play Horizon on my old Vanilla PS4, but the Slim is way quieter in comparison.

Anyway, this game is the first open world game I ever played that does not bore me to tears. It's great!

Top Bottom