• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

The title and the new OT aesthetic is incredible. Hahahaha. Excellent work, OP.

I platinumed the game last week and loved every second. I could definitely still be playing if there weren't so many other great games out.

bunkitz

Just finished
The Heart of the Nora.
Damn.

I knew Aloy was a clone! I mean, it was obvious, but still. And I love her reaction to it all, the way she takes the revelation, rejects her tribe worshipping her. Such a great character. Again, GG's outdone themselves. She's definitely the best, most memorable new character this generation for me. Well, so far, anyway.

I'm really curious as to what caused shit to go bonkers. Was that some... I don't know, space thing? So, essentially, it caused Hades to malfunction and whatnot, then the other sub-functions got separated? And now I have to find them too...?

Also, Jesus, GAIA. You're making Elisabet sounds like God. Yikes. She seems cool, though. Very unfortunate that she "died."

Oh, and the lead up to all of that was amazing.
The Embrace was utterly destroyed, and the fucking corrupted machines going about the areas. Goddamned Deathbringer! And Corruptors! Sheesh. The corrupted Thunderjaw fight was a great way to cap it off, and the thundering sound it was making as I got closer and closer was fucking fantastic.

Just finished
The Heart of the Nora.
Damn.

I knew Aloy was a clone! I mean, it was obvious, but still. And I love her reaction to it all, the way she takes the revelation, rejects her tribe worshipping her. Such a great character. Again, GG's outdone themselves. She's definitely the best, most memorable new character this generation for me. Well, so far, anyway.

I'm really curious as to what caused shit to go bonkers. Was that some... I don't know, space thing? So, essentially, it caused Hades to malfunction and whatnot, then the other sub-functions got separated? And now I have to find them too...?

Also, Jesus, GAIA. You're making Elisabet sounds like God. Yikes. She seems cool, though. Very unfortunate that she "died."

Don't forget to talk Teersa about Rost!

Just finished
The Heart of the Nora.
Damn.

It's not a
space
thing. It's actually much, much better. My mouth was open the entirely time it was being revealed.

God DAMN the story is so fucking good.

Ooh, yeah, I meant to do that but chose to do it later.

Will I have another opportunity to ask her about it? If not, obviously, I'll go do it the next time I play.

They're probably still hanging out in there.

Zackat

Just finished
The Heart of the Nora.
Damn.

Oh, and the lead up to all of that was amazing.
The Embrace was utterly destroyed, and the fucking corrupted machines going about the areas. Goddamned Deathbringer! And Corruptors! Sheesh. The corrupted Thunderjaw fight was a great way to cap it off, and the thundering sound it was making as I got closer and closer was fucking fantastic.

tbf, Elisabet was essentially Gaia's mother and guide to understanding love and compassion for life.

The first point of no return is actually fake. There are still a few story missions left after that.

Thanks. Makes sense I guess, after looking up the location of the last
power cell
, to make sure I didn't somehow miss it, I found out it's in a location I haven't been to yet.

Also the OT title is great.

Been avoiding Horizon threads to stay away from any spoilers, large and small, while I play though it myself, but I had to drop in to say this OT title is fucking fantastic :)

Mifune

Mehmber
So the mission
Deep Secrets of the Earth

This game's story is brilliant. I don't want it to end because I'm afraid they'll fuck it up.

The idea that
an all-powerful AI would recreate Earth's creatures in its own image to bring life back into the world is so damn smart. Who knew that the ROBOT DINOSAUR video game would have such a logical and poignant explanation for the existence of ROBOT DINOSAURS?

Zackat

So the mission
Deep Secrets of the Earth

This game's story is brilliant. I don't want it to end because I'm afraid they'll fuck it up.

The idea that
an all-powerful AI would recreate Earth's creatures in its own image to bring life back into the world is so damn smart. Who knew that the ROBOT DINOSAUR video game would have such a logical and poignant explanation for the existence of ROBOT DINOSAURS?

great isn't it? they set themselves up nicely

Neoweee

I beat the game. Which optional content (quests, areas, etc.) is the most recommended as "must see"? Short list, preferably. I don't really want to put in the time to Platinum.

Playing on Very Hard. Did all
Cauldrons (4?)
and all Hunting Grounds. Level was above 40 heading into the last mission, and I hit 46 or something during it.

I know there's the armor, but I don't really see a need for it, other than to be a badass?

vivekTO

Looks nice & Detailed
lCxb8rj.gif

DEy6689.gif

I beat the game. Which optional content (quests, areas, etc.) is the most recommended as "must see"? Short list, preferably. I don't really want to put in the time to Platinum.

Playing on Very Hard. Did all
Cauldrons (4?)
and all Hunting Grounds. Level was above 40 heading into the last mission, and I hit 46 or something during it.

I know there's the armor, but I don't really see a need for it, other than to be a badass?

My opinion:

- A Daughter’s Vengeance (Early side quest: This is a great story that takes you in a journey through several locations in the world map but it's also heavy human combat focused and that's probably the worse aspect of the game)
- A Moment’s Peace (Mid game side quest: This is a very interesting short story filled with mistery and lore)
- Underequipped (Really early side quest: Very basic story but it offers the best first heavy battle in the game and features some new machines that are pretty cool)
- Traitor’s Bounty - Queen’s Gambit (Late side quest: One of the best side stories in the game that happens to have some really big and challenging battles)
- Honor the Fallen (Mid game side quest: This is a nice story that's filled with some meaning, you won't fight much so it's really easy to complete)
- Fatal Inheritence (Mid game side quest: Similar to "Underequipped" but with a little more of plot)
- Hunter’s Blind - Deadliest Game - Redmaw (Mid game quest: The other great side quest the game has, the story is really entertaining and it features a lot of awesome battles)
- Death from the Skies (Mid game side quest: There's not much story here but the battles are really epic)
- Blood on Stone (Mid game side quest: Not much story going on but you're introduced to a really challenging enemy in an special way)
- Sunstone Rock (Mid to Late game side quest: The game won't take you here so is up to you to get it. It's a simple track and down mission but it's different to the rest and it's a fun one)
- Acquired Taste (Mid to Late game side quest: Same as the previous one, you won't find it following the story so you must explore but it's really intriguing and it puts you against some of the fiercest machines)
- Additional Suggestion: Meet Petra at Free Heap, there's a side quest and an errand there and she's a lovely character to meet.
- Additional Suggestion: Clear bandit camps to follow Nil's quest, killing humnas is not that fun and Nil is not featured in every bandit camp but he is an interesting character to see his quest complete.

danthefan

So I'm still very early on, maybe 12 hours played, do they dish out exp a little too liberally in this? I'm getting huge amounts for doing the hunter challenges for example.

Amazing game though. Looks so good on Pro.

Zackat

So I'm still very early on, maybe 12 hours played, do they dish out exp a little too liberally in this? I'm getting huge amounts for doing the hunter challenges for example.

Amazing game though. Looks so good on Pro.

levels in this game aren't what give you power really. it is basically just a way to curve out giving you points to put in abilities, and gives you 10 more health.

the real power in this game is weapons and weapon mods.

platocplx

Very nice, thanks for the input.
No problem. If anyone has video requests I can make them for all trials. I had a ton of fun wrangling so many diff ways to beat these.

That ravager v thunderjaw using the disc launcher was def the most entertaining after a few failures figuring out how to do it without just overriding it.

levels in this game aren't what give you power really. it is basically just a way to curve out giving you points to put in abilities, and gives you 10 more health.

the real power in this game is weapons and weapon mods.
Yeah, and I can't wait for the postgame grind to get precisely the perfect minmaxing weapons mods tbh.

Definitely interested in this.

I still have a lot of questions about the combat mechanics. For instance, after some shots you'll notice a robot's armor pieces dropping off, but I'm not sure if hitting any exposed machinery underneath actually does any more damage. I've also seen small stuns after headshots on robots (doubly so when they're setting up a heavy attack), which makes me wonder what additional weakpoints may exist on machines, besides the core ones you get from scanning or reading in the notebook.

I'm figuring some things out over time, but I keep feeling like there's more going on under the hood.

KodaRuss

I am late to the party but great name for OT2. I finished the game last week, what a ride.

This might be one of the few games I play the DLC for, looking forward to what they do with it.

lt519

Anxiety is killing you. :p

Don't know if you did but you can customize most of the hud.

Haha, I didn't want to point it out since I have no interest in a discussion of which game is better, but being able to just run by something fluidly in Zelda and pick it up makes Aloy stopping and bending over to pick things up brutal.

I should give the errands and characters more of a chance to say things though. Maybe I just played too long yesterday. I was listening to everyone at first but then, especially the errands, the non-main characters started to feel very much like generic open world dialogue. I'm generally not into game stories anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Yeah, I'll modify the HUD tonight, yesterday was the first day I really dug into it and was still getting a feel for all the mechanics.

So the ropecaster pins the robots in place? I think I don't understand how combat works in Horizon - I've been doing it all wrong.
Yeah, you'll need to land a couple of ropes on them to really pin them, and a few more will knock them down. Robots will struggle to break out and still try alternate attacks so don't assume you're completely safe even when they look mostly pinned.

platocplx

Definitely interested in this.

I still have a lot of questions about the combat mechanics. For instance, after some shots you'll notice a robot's armor pieces dropping off, but I'm not sure if hitting any exposed machinery underneath actually does any more damage. I've also seen small stuns after headshots on robots (doubly so when they're setting up a heavy attack), which makes me wonder what additional weakpoints may exist on machines, besides the core ones you get from scanning or reading in the notebook.

I'm figuring some things out over time, but I keep feeling like there's more going on under the hood.

It seems like if you target legs, parts you can quickly strip a bot down or quickly kill them. I've def seen them collapse based on me hitting legs etc.

Haha, I didn't want to point it out since I have no interest in a discussion of which game is better, but being able to just run by something fluidly in Zelda and pick it up makes Aloy stopping and bending over to pick things up brutal.

Yeah, I'll modify the HUD tonight, yesterday was the first day I really dug into it and was still getting a feel for all the mechanics.

It's about tastes in that regard, Horizon requires a little more realism in some aspects and others are there just for show perhaps. I love those animations and for intance I always hated the "PC" gaming because many games don't animate the most mundane action like grabbing an item or opening a door where you just see things float around or doors being opened magically, I really hate that.

It seems like if you target legs, parts you can quickly strip a bot down or quickly kill them. I've def seen them collapse based on me hitting legs etc.
You mean arrow shots to the legs can topple enemies or slow them down? Been wondering about that too, but it can be hard to really tell within the chaos of combat, especially when dealing with multiple enemies.

Guess I'll take some time to try to test some of these ideas out next time I'm on. Going to have to take down some Striders for science.

laxu

It's about tastes in that regard, Horizon requires a little more realism in some aspects and others are there just for show perhaps. I love those animations and for intance I always hated the "PC" gaming because many games don't animate the most mundane action like grabbing an item or opening a door where you just see things float around or doors being opened magically, I really hate that.

It's all about what interrupts gameplay. For me picking up items considering how much you do it should be faster. I could live with Aloy just doing a run and grab move to pick stuff up instead of bending down.

It's all about what interrupts gameplay. For me picking up items considering how much you do it should be faster. I could live with Aloy just doing a run and grab move to pick stuff up instead of bending down.

Oh yeah, I understand why it could frustrate people, is just that my brain is fixed the other way around.

Top Bottom