• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Trojan

I finally platinumed this game last week. I don't often go for the Platinum trophy but this game was worth it because I loved the world so much and it wasn't terribly difficult. It was kind of a good excuse to keep playing.

That being said, getting a platinum is still a bunch of busy work even in a title like HZD that doesn't require multiple playthroughs. How some people have 40+ platinums is crazy with how much time must be spent following a guide doing mundane tasks.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
^^^thanks for the input guys, and your right about horizon being polished and wait for ME to be updated, I didn't even think about that. So tough lol.

Edit went with horizon, it's 53$ on amazon. Man I saw a comment saying this is better than bloodborne, my current favorite PS4 game lol. Thanks for the advice guys

Good choice, man.

HZD takes its lore seriously and rewards you for being meticulous.

It's good sci Fi, and does right by its own plot and the player by weaving an intricate web of back story exposition the more you explore.

It's so refreshing.

I just went back to Destiny (because I'm fucking a masochist), and what that game does with its setting and universe comparatively is just criminal.

"I could tell you..." But here some salvaged pieces of script on an e-card you can only read on a website.

Goddamn shame, really.

HZD, though. 🙌

You're gonna be thirsting for more; sequels, prequels, anything they decide to do guaranteed it'll be killer.

bunkitz

It's not a
space
thing. It's actually much, much better. My mouth was open the entirely time it was being revealed.

God DAMN the story is so fucking good.

They're probably still hanging out in there.

Shit, alright. Sounds good. Looking forward to that reveal then. It's kind of hard to believe at times that Horizon is this damn good.

Cool. Might go back and do it ASAP just to be safe.
tbf, Elisabet was essentially Gaia's mother and guide to understanding love and compassion for life.

True...
And, well, she did come up with Zero Dawn and everything.

So are the tribes
descendants of those adolescents that were released into the wild...? Because all life on earth died, right? So where would they have come from?
Is this something that will be explained later into the game?

Good choice, man.

HZD takes its lore seriously and rewards you for being meticulous.

It's good sci Fi, and does right by its own plot and the player by weaving an intricate web of back story exposition the more you explore.

It's so refreshing.

I just went back to Destiny (because I'm fucking a masochist), and what that game does with its setting and universe comparatively is just criminal.

"I could tell you..." But here some salvaged pieces of script on an e-card you can only read on a website.

Goddamn shame, really.

HZD, though. 🙌

You're gonna be thirsting for more; sequels, prequels, anything they decide to do guaranteed it'll be killer.

lol thanks, yea I'm glad I got one day shipping. I can't wait to get stoned and just get lost in this game. Sgonna be good.

lol thanks, yea I'm glad I got one day shipping. I can't wait to get stoned and just get lost in this game. Sgonna be good.

Just expect the combat and it's variety to be a little overwhelming in the beginning, and don't develop any prejudice about the story. It starts out slowly to make you familiar with the setting, but then...

reKon

Banned
holy fuck, I just accidentally spoiled an important thing about the story concerning Aloy from the last page or so.

shit shit shit

holy fuck, I just accidentally spoiled an important thing about the story concerning Aloy from the last page or so.

shit shit shit

Sorry you got spoiled. Though, if it's the same spoiler I'm thinking of, don't worry, there are plenty more surprises in the story.

bunkitz

Agreed, the ropecaster is literally the worst weapon in any game ever. OK, not that bad, but it's still pretty horrible, especially trying to hit fast-moving dodging machines like Glinthawks. The only thing that'd make it worse is if the game had a specific challenge requiring you to do that thing.

Dude. The ropecaster is amazing. It made taking down a Thunderbird a cinch for me. Thing barely even damaged me cause I kept tying it down and blasting it with grenades. It's also a huge lifesaver when I'm getting overwhelmed by a large number of machines. Tied a Stormbird once while I took care of a bunch of Longlegs and the damn ropes held. Long.

Also, don't try to tie down Glinthawks while they're on the move. Bring them down with flame arrows then tie them down. What you do next is up to you, but I would suggest a couple of sticky bombs.

Also, slapping the thing with three purple Handling mods make it sing.

Not sure if its a problem on my end But the Glinthawk are not making the sound when there attacking me? Just dead silent? Did they remove the sound from the Glinthawk in the last update?

platocplx

Tbh I never use the ropecaster, it seems more trouble than its worth. You can scan enemies and do a ton of damage to the point of knocking them over with well placed shots before they can even get to you. Or with the T Rex just shoot his disc launcher off and go to town.

Same

Ended up just initiating with tearblast, freezing with the sling and doing damage with either precision, handpoint or default arrows

Tearblast is probably op actually, on every robot

Agreed, the ropecaster is literally the worst weapon in any game ever. OK, not that bad, but it's still pretty horrible, especially trying to hit fast-moving dodging machines like Glinthawks. The only thing that'd make it worse is if the game had a specific challenge requiring you to do that thing.

All this ropecaster hate. Insane. It's one of the best weapons in the game. Great for crowd control. Great to slow down faster enemies. Or you can literally rope down a group of enemies then chain elemental vulnerablities.

Lodge Ropecaster >

Look at how fast immobilized this thunderjaw with it for this hunting challenge. https://youtu.be/SEq1Kd4OaSc

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
There is an area with 2 Thunderjaws and a herd of 6 Tramplers. Sneak up and overrided a Thunderjaw, ran up the hill, hid on the bushes and watch an epic battle among themselves. Oh and to make things more interesting, sometime I shoot the Tramplers with Corrupted Arrows...:p

I think I'm coming up close to finishing. Any point in discovering machine camps? Not bothered with platinum​.

Some of them can be pretty fun fights - like the one with two rockbreakers - but other than that, completion percentage and quite a bunch of experience points. I did all of them because the fighting here is pretty much the best part of a great game.

SYU4P0n.gif

odCfn5X.gif

alexbull_uk

I've seen a few people post that they got an email with a free theme when they got the platinum. Anyone from the UK get that or is it a US-only thing?

I finally climbed my last tallneck last night, opening up the most northern part of the map. Felt like exploring so I went as far north as possible. Was caught completely off guard by the
waiting stormbird. First time Id actually fought one, found the shadow ropecaster to be invaluable. :p
Still only 70% completed, with only 11 story missions completed. Level 44.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
I seriously hope GG will sent a review copy to Sunhi when Horizon 2 comes out. Imagine 2 weeks before the release and he post some gif on gaf... oh lord......

So can you tie machines together with the Ropecaster or only to a surface?

--

Jeeeesus. Especially the first one.

Can't tie them together. You just shoot the machines with the ropecaster and they automatically get chained to the ground. It's not like the tripcaster where you have to place both ends yourself.

Just point and shoot.

Zackat

Sunhi if you wanna make another post to keep your gifs updated in one spot I can put it in the OP. I already have the one from last thread linked in there, so can update it. They so purty

a916

I just finished it and some quick thoughts on the game. I always loved the combat but the story was like eh, I'm not really in love with it.

Boy was I wrong because the story just HOOKS you after the reveal/twist. Loved every moment of uncovering the story and secret. Listened to all the holograms and voice recordings.

A great enjoyable game and this is how you make trophies for an open world.

FrankWza

Just finished main story. Gave up on the side quests after about 5 or 6. The world doesnt do much for me. The game is a jack of all trades, master of none and bad at some. Climbing was wonky. Weapons were pretty bland. A.I. was so bad for humans it masked how bad the machine a.i. is. Theres was no aspect of the game that was great. The combat could have been but needs some kind of action style lock. I dont mind that it borrowed from a bunch of games and brought nothing new to the table, i mind that it wasnt able to make any 1 part great. It is one of the best looking games ive seen though, maybe the best considering its open world. Story was ok though may have been better if i did more side quests. Ill never know because im done with it. And that 1 attempt to make drama where
(theres a kid who is kicking a ball before a giant machine pops up)
near the end of the game was laughably bad.
Like, theres all sorts of explosions and chaos and youre outside playing?
Straight out of a michael bay movie. Im kind of surprised at the high reviews. Id say 7.5-8/10 but at least 1 point of that is for the graphics.

Lingitiz

Just finished main story. Gave up on the side quests after about 5 or 6. The world doesnt do much for me. The game is a jack of all trades, master of none and bad at some. Climbing was wonky. Weapons were pretty bland. A.I. was so bad for humans it masked how bad the machine a.i. is. Theres was no aspect of the game that was great. The combat could have been but needs some kind of action style lock. I dont mind that it borrowed from a bunch of games and brought nothing new to the table, i mind that it wasnt able to make any 1 part great. It is one of the best looking games ive seen though, maybe the best considering its open world. Story was ok though may have been better if i did more side quests. Ill never know because im done with it. And that 1 attempt to make drama where
Straight out of a michael bay movie. Im kind of surprised at the high reviews. Id say 7.5-8/10 but at least 1 point of that is for the graphics.

I'm not nearly as harsh on it, but to your point about the sidequests. I agree in that I don't think they are really all that great. There are a few that are somewhat interesting, but most are extremely straightforward and rarely surprise or offer any compelling choices or moral dilemma.

I think for me that's where the dialogue system ultimately set my expectations the wrong way. This isn't much of an RPG. It's an action game with very lite RPG elements. Choice and consequence isn't a major factor here.

I just finished it and some quick thoughts on the game. I always loved the combat but the story was like eh, I'm not really in love with it.

Boy was I wrong because the story just HOOKS you after the reveal/twist. Loved every moment of uncovering the story and secret. Listened to all the holograms and voice recordings.

A great enjoyable game and this is how you make trophies for an open world.

The story and reveals are fucking rad, but dumping it all on you in 3 or 4 logs at a time was not the way to do it. And I think the story being so compelling actually hurt that a bit. I wanted to get to the big reveal and was anxious about it. I ended up skipping a lot of the logs because I was so excited for those big moments.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm not nearly as harsh on it, but to your point about the sidequests. I agree in that I don't think they are really all that great. There are a few that are somewhat interesting, but most are extremely straightforward and rarely surprise or offer any compelling choices or moral dilemma.

I think the side quests are excellent because they take you to parts of the world you wouldn't explore otherwise, and they almost always lead up to a unique battle or set-piece. They aren't always the most fascinating story-wise but do add to the lore of the world in subtle ways.

Lingitiz

I think the side quests are excellent because they take you to parts of the world you wouldn't explore otherwise, and they almost always lead up to a unique battle or set-piece. They aren't always the most fascinating story-wise but do add to the lore of the world in subtle ways.

Yeah I don't think they're bad, they're pretty serviceable to be fair but you wouldn't feel like you missed a ton if you didn't do them. The combat IMO is enough to carry them (as long as they are machine-based).

Vroadstar

Oh you are HZD is "very overrated" poster from the original OT. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Yeah I don't think they're bad, they're pretty serviceable to be fair but you wouldn't feel like you missed a ton if you didn't do them. The combat IMO is enough to carry them (as long as they are machine-based).

I think everyone knows that side quest range from average to good. Maybe we can discuss two that are pretty good but then just depends on how much you like the world and combat. I believe no one thinks these are the best side quest ever made, now they're certaintly not the worst, not even close.

I agree with most of this except for the "no aspect of the game was great".

It's fucking GORGEOUS, there are countless times that I just wanted to dick around in photomode to find the perfect shot because I couldn't believe how beautiful the scene was.

Fighting robot dinosaurs is great fun. Yes, the AI is dumb and the artificial boundaries suck but the combat is better than any other open world game I can think of. And it's got robot dinosaurs that shoot laser beams for fucks sake, that's cool as fuck.

Most of the story leans on tropes you've seen in Sci-Fi many times before but Aloy was, for the most part, a really good character and I thought the way the game ended for her was absolutely perfect.

But yeah, shitty sidequests, crafting/resource gathering busywork is the bane of modern gaming, the checklist approach to including things just because other open world games have it, awful inventory management, follow yet another trail etc all drag it down but at the end of the day I still got a decent amount of enjoyment out of the game.

Is it a great game? Not really.

Does it provide you with great moments? Hell yes.

Would I play the sequel? Yeah, probably. If they got rid of some of the extraneous bullshit then I'd probably be on board for day one.

Lingitiz

Would I play the sequel? Yeah, probably. If they got rid of some of the extraneous bullshit then I'd probably be on board for day one.

The bolded is really how I feel. Everytime I thought about just dropping this game, something really cool happened in the story, or I fought a crazy monster and came out the other side feeling awesome. That's the stuff that helped me look past some of the more bland checklist design things, the sometimes poor storytelling, lack of a compelling group of companions and side characters, among others.

FrankWza

I think for me that's where the dialogue system ultimately set my expectations the wrong way. This isn't much of an RPG. It's an action game with very lite RPG elements. Choice and consequence isn't a major factor here.

The story and reveals are fucking rad, but dumping it all on you in 3 or 4 logs at a time was not the way to do it. And I think the story being so compelling actually hurt that a bit. I wanted to get to the big reveal and was anxious about it. I ended up skipping a lot of the logs because I was so excited for those big moments.

Wasnt a fan of the logs being so close togethertowards the end. Also, a lot if it was simultaneously playing when cedric daniels or aloy were talking. O had to stip abd restart since it didnt pause it.

Oh you are HZD is "very overrated" poster from the original OT. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

I am. I still dont get why thats sucha big deal. Overrated us not an insult.
Im not calling the game shit. Just isnt great and the reviews are great and higher. Im never that far off from the consensus on a game as i am on this. Took me by surprise. It's just like, my opinion man. Maybe its the easy platinum that just requires time thats making it so popular and appealing?

I think everyone knows that side quest range from average to good. Maybe we can discuss two that are pretty good but then just depends on how much you like the world and combat. I believe no one thinks these are the best side quest ever made, now they're certaintly not the worst, not even close.

Yeah side quests usually depend on how much you like the world. In nierA for example, tge sidequests were not all that great but they added a lot of depth and i liked the story so i appreciated them.

I agree with most of this except for the "no aspect of the game was great".

It's fucking GORGEOUS, there are countless times that I just wanted to dick around in photomode to find the perfect shot because I couldn't believe how beautiful the scene was.

Fighting robot dinosaurs is great fun. Yes, the AI is dumb and the artificial boundaries suck but the combat is better than any other open world game I can think of. And it's got robot dinosaurs that shoot laser beams for fucks sake, that's cool as fuck.

Most of the story leans on tropes you've seen in Sci-Fi many times before but Aloy was, for the most part, a really good character and I thought the way the game ended for her was absolutely perfect.

But yeah, shitty sidequests, crafting/resource gathering busywork is the bane of modern gaming, the checklist approach to including things just because other open world games have it, awful inventory management, follow yet another trail etc all drag it down but at the end of the day I still got a decent amount of enjoyment out of the game.

Definitely a great looking game. I mentioned that a couple of times. Especially considering its open world. If you take that away i cant believe it gets as much praise as it has gotten. Its nothing to sneeze at but im a gameplay over graphics guy anyway. Id play a sequel. I mean, i still finished the main story of the game. And yes i would love to see better crafting and inventory too. But its no masterpiece. Sorry.

FrankWza

The bolded is really how I feel. Everytime I thought about just dropping this game, something really cool happened in the story, or I fought a crazy monster and came out the other side feeling awesome. That's the stuff that helped me look past some of the more bland checklist design things, the sometimes poor storytelling, lack of a compelling group of companions and side characters, among others.

For me the bolded were few and far between. And the end battles were anti climactic but to be fair that tebds to happen in a lot of games. Too many to be honest.

Edit: definitely not looking to start a fire on it. Just discussing how i feel. Just an opinion. I just went in expcting to be blown away and was underwhelmed. It happens. On to the next 1.

Zackat

I like Aloy

I like Sci-Fi

I like graphics

I like Robot Dinosaurs with laser beams

I like combat that doesn't feel like controlling a bowling ball on an ice rink

I like Horizon Zero Dawn

x-Lundz-x

Just finished and platinumed the game after 45 AMAZING hours of playtime. This was by far the best new IP I have played since TLoU. GG and Sony knocked this out of the park. Such and amazing experience and I'm and so excited for what the future of the franchise holds. I was blown away throughout the entire game. Just wow.

Lingitiz

I like Aloy

I like Sci-Fi

I like graphics

I like Robot Dinosaurs with laser beams

I like combat that doesn't feel like controlling a bowling ball on an ice rink

I like Horizon Zero Dawn

That doesn't mean it's taboo to discuss the ways the game could improve, since we're undoubtedly getting a sequel. It's definitely great but there's a lot of room for improvement that I think could take it from a great game, to an all time classic.

Zackat

That doesn't mean it's taboo to discuss the ways the game could improve, since we're undoubtedly getting a sequel. It's definitely great but there's a lot of room for improvement that I think could take it from a great game, to an all time classic.

of course not, that'd be silly

that was my review

I should have put human combat is bad, but it's a given

Apt101

I really need to just settle in and finish this game. Been playing since launch, taking days off at a time, and every time I play I just run around and do side stuff.

I have gotten to the point where I am fearless. So there's that. Thundermaws best get shook when they see me.

Anyway, if the missing trophies are any indication I'm probably only a few hours from the conclusion.

I only ever used Health Potions. Never the Health Up, Never Antidote, Never Resistance Potions. Am I the only one? Just the healing herbs you pick up and health potions. I also only used 5 weapons total I think. Ropecaster, War Bow, Hunter Bow, Tripcaster and Sharpshot Bow. You can do everything you need to do with those and I argue the Tripcaster isn't essential. I don't mind a game being easy by the way - it never occurred to me to turn up the difficulty lol Maybe if I replay it I'll use the other weapons and turn up the difficulty. I played it on Normal which I do all games.

I did do all the tutorials by the way so I technically used every weapon but I rolled the ones above 100% of the game.

Top Bottom