• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

That doesn't mean it's taboo to discuss the ways the game could improve, since we're undoubtedly getting a sequel. It's definitely great but there's a lot of room for improvement that I think could take it from a great game, to an all time classic.

I think there is room for improvement also but some things people want i don't care for.
For eg choice effecting the story or at least the main story .

I mostly used shock against them (either sling, wires, or arrows), they fell pretty quick for it, after that just used spear critical damage and repeat the process once. Twice critical plus maybe two regular strikes and they're done.
Ahh such great combat! So many different ways to tackle a scenario!

Moonkeis

Just finished the
terror of the sun
mission... I didn't need your damn
help Sylens! I was ready to take the 2 machines down myself.

I think there is room for improvement also but some things people want i don't care for.
For eg choice effecting the story or at least the main story .

Personally that didn't bother me at all (I think it doesn't bother me in any game) because I saw pretty much every piece of info prior to the launch of the game and devs stated that you won't affect the story in any way, just explore it if you wish to. So I was pretty much aware of that.
Probably people that didn't know that were expecting that feature, or they think it was a bad decision from the devs regardless their intentions.

Ahh such great combat! So many different ways to tackle a scenario!

The funnest thing is that I was so used to my weapon configuration the whole game that when I watched a video from another user that had a completely different loadout I got confused at a point I couldn't even believe it was possible to change the order of the weapons at all, it was just for a couple of seconds but for a moment my mind thought that my config was fixed by default. When that happened I started to try different things.

Lingitiz

Personally that didn't bother me at all (I think it doesn't bother me in any game) because I saw pretty much every piece of info prior to the launch of the game and devs stated that you won't affect the story in any way, just explore it if you wish to. So I was pretty much aware of that.
Probably people that didn't know that were expecting that feature, or they think it was a bad decision from the devs regardless their intentions.

It's not so much the availability of choice and consequence, as much as it is the reactivity of the world and the dynamism of the dialogue. It's a key part of a lot of dialogue heavy RPGs and helps build out the world and create a sense that you're part of a much bigger universe. There are moments in Horizon where someone will respond to something you've done in game, and that's pretty cool. I want more of that.

I know it seems like a minor nitpick but it's something that really adds to the overall experience and the feeling of a large and dynamic universe. And Horizon has such a well built world and lore that it's ripe for that sort of thing. It's not a dealbreaker, and Horizon's overall story and world is strong enough to stand without it. But in a potential sequel I'd love to see that. We know John Gonzalez as a writer is more than capable, considering his work on New Vegas.

Vroadstar

This makes no sense. Id be crazy to call it trash. I think you have it reversed. I didnt single out anyones praise of the game and challenge it. Just going by the reviews i can say its overrated. Forget what users are saying. And of course the game is for me...its not a niche title. Its sold more copies than a lot of games ever get printed. Maybe thats the issue? Its trying to appeal to too broad an audience. I dont know. I just know it's far from a masterpiece and its not a great game. Aside from the way it looks theres just nothing great about it. I realize that a game can be better than the sum of its parts, but i dont think that applies here. Besides, some aspects are just bad.

I think we know exactly who here doesn't make sense. The mere fact that you call the game "very overrated" means you are comparing how you rate the game to others (reviewers or since you are here in the OT - gaffers who loved/praise the game).

Just face it, the game is not for you, I've seen your post in the original OT and I'm not a bit surprised this is your opinion.

It's not so much the availability of choice and consequence, as much as it is the reactivity of the world and the dynamism of the dialogue. It's a key part of a lot of dialogue heavy RPGs and helps build out the world and create a sense that you're part of a much bigger universe. There are moments in Horizon where someone will respond to something you've done in game, and that's pretty cool. I want more of that.

I know it seems like a minor nitpick but it's something that really adds to the overall experience and the feeling of a large and dynamic universe. And Horizon has such a well built world and lore that it's ripe for that sort of thing.

I found conversations to be pretty good and natural, granted not all of them of course. For instance, I'm playing Andromeda now and something I don't like is that pretty much every conversation is an interview, talking to people doesn't flow organically, is just a question after another... I think ME was always like that and I forgot but maybe things changed.

Another thing: Someone said that characters in Horizon aren't memorable, I do agree that most npc aren't unforgetable, although I consider Aloy, Rost, and Sylens pretty great characters. The think is, take The Witcher III for instance, I won't use the "oh but it has three games!" card because I didn't play 1 or 2, just 3. It has a lot of good to great characters while Horizon range from inconsequential to good and I think this is because The Witcher has like 300hs of content and you spent much more time talking to people than battling in comparison with Horizon. Horizon does has good characters is just that they don't have as much screentime and development to go beyond good. I think the idea on this game was to focus on the main ones because of the compact story they wanted to tell and make the rest fill the world and provide context.

There's always room for improvement but I don't think many games handle things as well as Horizon (in this gen at least). You mentioned the exposition dump, I agree is not the best way to tell a story but honestly I loved the story and setting so much and how they revealed key information little by little that I was hooked, how many people can you read here that said "I normally don't read anything but I couldn't stop reading every piece of info in this game!"? Again, I enjoyed a lot but at the same time thought that it was a card that could only be played once... or maybe not, I don't know how a sequel will turn out. In any case even if I don't consider it the ideal case I can't deny I loved it.

Whats the best weapon Coil you gotten?

From the behemoth my best where

50% tear
18% handling A great coil or my shadow hunter bow
12% shock

49% damage
19% tear
12% fire

A great Coil for the lodge sling shot

I think for part 2 they should have more side quest or make them longer with the same characters .
They can even be in the main quest every now and then .
That would help flesh them out more like how it was for Erend , Vala , Varl or even Nil .

It would have been nice to see some more quest with Talanah , Vanasha etc etc .

ErMerGerd

Neo Member
I think for part 2 they should have more side quest or make them longer with the same characters .
They can even be in the main quest every now and then .
That would help flesh them out more like how it was for Erend , Vala , Varl or even Nil .

It would have been nice to see some more quest with Talanah , Vanasha etc etc .
Seriously. Many great characters but not enough time for them all. Grew to really like Erend, in the end.

RedAssedApe

Banned
still find it hilarious that the sun king
propositioned aloy right after you come back from the mission where his love interest dies

not to mention several other male characters were thirsty as hell -_-

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
propositioned aloy right after you come back from the mission where his love interest dies

The hunting grounds guy who supposedly smelt of fish was hilariously sleazy 😂

FrankWza

I think we know exactly who here doesn't make sense. The mere fact that you call the game "very overrated" means you are comparing how you rate the game to others (reviewers or since you are here in the OT - gaffers who loved/praise the game).

Just face it, the game is not for you, I've seen your post in the original OT and I'm not a bit surprised this is your opinion.

You may want to go back and read the post i was replying to because context is important. Im not gonna call a game trash instead of overrated. The bold part made me laugh. Youre not surprised my opinion is exactly what i said in the first OT? Does blue steel look different than magnum?

Fliesen

Thanks for all the replies / advice with regards to weapon upgrades / expanding my arsenal, in this thread.

Once you fight your first Thunderjaw, the game / the combat REALLY gets going.
Killing Thunderjaws left and right, and having a 3 slot weapon with +40% damage modifiers is really neat ;)

I don't know if this is well known but I just recently noticed it: you don't necessarily have to dodge the discs from a thunderjaw, you can shoot the discs in the air before they fly at you.

danowat

Banned
How much more story have I got left GAF?

I've just beaten the Behemoth in the arena

Again, I think the game has revealed all it's secrets, but I can't help thinking that there is going to be a twist.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Can you buy skins from some merchant?? I need fox and rabbit skins but the fuckers wont drop them. A more easy way to get them?

Mathieran

Banned
I still love the sound when you hit the destructible parts on the machines after 70 hours, and still have a hard time getting things done cause I have to fight everything I see. The armor you get from collecting the power cells is pretty OP though. It's nice not to have to collect herbs all the time though.

How much more story have I got left GAF?

I've just beaten the Behemoth in the arena

Again, I think the game has revealed all it's secrets, but I can't help thinking that there is going to be a twist.

Three more main quests, I believe.

And I'll just say you don't quite have the full picture yet.

bombshell

Can you buy skins from some merchant?? I need fox and rabbit skins but the fuckers wont drop them. A more easy way to get them?

If you believe in RNGesus you can try your luck with the Scavenger Dark boxes at one of the Meridian merchants. They give animal skins/bones randomly.

Cyborg

Corruption arrow is amazing :) Every time I run in to trouble I let the machines fight! Haha!

I still struggle to understand what weapon to use on which enemy

AtkO

I don't know if this is well known but I just recently noticed it: you don't necessarily have to dodge the discs from a thunderjaw, you can shoot the discs in the air before they fly at you.

This is what I love about this game, everything happens as you play, there's nothing pre-baked or that will forcefully reach its initial destination. For example, a Ravager jumps at you, you use your R2 spear attack, well it will be interrupted in its jump and get pushed back, but you'll still get hit a little bit cause it was too late and also pushed back. Or you try to jump and the bird uses its blast, you'll be blasted away despite jumping. It just feels so dynamic and good, everything feels impactful. To sum it up, this game is just too good!

red731

Try harvester arrows on animals if you have the bow that has this option.

Nope on the above. Sorry.

Otherwise run, tag, shoot and enjoy the scenery while hunting for them.

ed: Aaaawwwwww! That is just too cute!

silva1991

Just saw this

flintstones.jpg

amazing lol.

Joco

Finally on the road to Meridian, seeing a Thunderjaw for the first time is something else. I feel woefully unprepared to deal with one, don't even have a shadow bow yet.

Just finished and platinum'd, what an amazing experience. The ending was perfect, surely one of my favourite game ever. And next week P5 comes out...

Rien

Jelly Belly
If you believe in RNGesus you can try your luck with the Scavenger Dark boxes at one of the Meridian merchants. They give animal skins/bones randomly.

Try harvester arrows on animals if you have the bow that has this option.

Nope on the above. Sorry.

Otherwise run, tag, shoot and enjoy the scenery while hunting for them.

ed: Aaaawwwwww! That is just too cute!

Thanx both. Time to pray to RNGesus i guess.
And the scenery is amazing here indeed. Nearly 60 hours in and still getting awed by it constantly.

Even the women hit on Aloy, especially Petra and Vanasha.

platocplx

Wut. I have to try this. Never even thought of doing this. makes too much sense lmao.

Top Bottom