• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Samsung KS8000 on a PS4 regular, HDR is turned on -- anyone else have this odd thing where when rotating the camera it looks pretty great but then as soon as the camera stops the screen has a very noticeable brightening? I played around with Smart LED, Dynamic Contrast, etc. but can't figure out what is doing it. Very annoying. =/

As for the game, as someone who over the past couple of years has drifted away from big AAA games with story and all and to wanting bite-sized arcade-like experiences (like Spelunky) I am absolutely smitten by this game. Just wow. I'm still early yet, but enjoying it so much.

I only ever used Health Potions. Never the Health Up, Never Antidote, Never Resistance Potions. Am I the only one? Just the healing herbs you pick up and health potions. I also only used 5 weapons total I think. Ropecaster, War Bow, Hunter Bow, Tripcaster and Sharpshot Bow. You can do everything you need to do with those and I argue the Tripcaster isn't essential. I don't mind a game being easy by the way - it never occurred to me to turn up the difficulty lol Maybe if I replay it I'll use the other weapons and turn up the difficulty. I played it on Normal which I do all games.

I did do all the tutorials by the way so I technically used every weapon but I rolled the ones above 100% of the game.

I found the Tripcaster absolutely necessary the first ten hours, but it was probably my playstyle. Then I used bows and slings, ocassionaly Ropecaster and late game the Tearblaster. I think the game supports different playstyles in terms of weapons.

I did the same as you in relation to items, only health potions and herbs. Ocassionally I used a shiled but only when I found myself out of stock in herbs and potions and when to fight either way. :p

I haven't beat the game yet but so far I'm really enjoying it. I just got all blazing sun's and got the reward for that. The
Shadow Sling
is awesome. Taking out a Thundermaw with it is great. The
sticky bombs
destroy them. Fighting them is so much fun. Wish I could be playing right now.

I am. I still dont get why thats sucha big deal. Overrated us not an insult.
Im not calling the game shit. Just isnt great and the reviews are great and higher. Im never that far off from the consensus on a game as i am on this. Took me by surprise. It's just like, my opinion man. Maybe its the easy platinum that just requires time thats making it so popular and appealing?

Or maybe it just isn't for you? And that's totally fine. I'd much prefer someone say they think the game is absolute trash than that it's overrated. One is stating an opinion and the other is calling into question the opinions and experiences of others. Go into any thread on this forum about a well liked title and declare the people who've enjoyed it either didn't actually enjoy it or are misrepresenting the game and you'll get the same sort of replies the overrated talk did in HZD's first OT.

Zaki2407

Just bought the game yesterday. I was shock that there's no Inverted X axis for the camera setting. Thank god they added the setting on the latest patch. Beautifull game.

Dat OT title EL OH EL

Bravo OP

On-topic: Overrode my first Tallneck (I haven't been able to play any videos games for a minute now)

and then promptly fell off said Tallneck and died.

I really love this game though. I've barely played it, but it's so good.

Dat OT title EL OH EL

Bravo OP

On-topic: Overrode my first Tallneck (I haven't been able to play any videos games for a minute now)

and then promptly fell off said Tallneck and died.

I really love this game though. I've barely played it, but it's so good.
...how did you fall off a tallneck?

Or maybe it just isn't for you? And that's totally fine. I'd much prefer someone say they think the game is absolute trash than that it's overrated. One is stating an opinion and the other is calling into question the opinions and experiences of others. Go into any thread on this forum about a well liked title and declare the people who've enjoyed it either didn't actually enjoy it or are misrepresenting the game and you'll get the same sort of replies the overrated talk did in HZD's first OT.

I fucking hate the word overrated, it's like people can't enjoy a game more than others, there has to be another reason for liking a game.

kitzkozan

It's business as usual on internet forums, no big deal imo lol. At this very moment, there's a thread on OT where Akira is being called into question. There's just no way we can all appreciate the same thing or approach a piece of work with the same point of view given the varying taste among our species (it remind me that Bladerunner is easily the movie which I had to defend the most from being called overrated). :p

Vanasha
might be one of the coolest characters introduced in the entire game lol From design to personality, brilliant!!
She should just beat Aloy up with her abs already.
A Scary moment just happen, Was having fun with this two long legs, When out of nowhere two sawtooth appear, With one of them running pass me without attacking me.

https://imgflip.com/gifgenerator

I'm already scare of the sawtooth but to have them sneak up on me like that is just horrifying
Sawtooths aren't shit...should probably play on hard at some point though.

FrankWza

This makes no sense. Id be crazy to call it trash. I think you have it reversed. I didnt single out anyones praise of the game and challenge it. Just going by the reviews i can say its overrated. Forget what users are saying. And of course the game is for me...its not a niche title. Its sold more copies than a lot of games ever get printed. Maybe thats the issue? Its trying to appeal to too broad an audience. I dont know. I just know it's far from a masterpiece and its not a great game. Aside from the way it looks theres just nothing great about it. I realize that a game can be better than the sum of its parts, but i dont think that applies here. Besides, some aspects are just bad.

I've just jumped past the recent discussion, but is the poster coming in with his hot take on others poor opinions and belittling the high scores also dropping spoilers? Can he/she stop that.

crazyprac

I think I'm almost at or near the end. I've been savoring the game for so long I'm already sad thinking about it. Got to make it last until persona comes out...

Just took down my first storm bird. Man, what a great encounter that was. I'm only playing on hard, but it really forced me to think up new strategies on the fly and I was completely out of healing items by time I finished it off. It was one of those rare times I hit the share button afterwards.

This makes no sense. Id be crazy to call it trash. I think you have it reversed. I didnt single out anyones praise of the game and challenge it. Just going by the reviews i can say its overrated. Forget what users are saying. And of course the game is for me...its not a niche title. Its sold more copies than a lot of games ever get printed. Maybe thats the issue? Its trying to appeal to too broad an audience. I dont know. I just know it's far from a masterpiece and its not a great game. Aside from the way it looks theres just nothing great about it. I realize that a game can be better than the sum of its parts, but i dont think that applies here. Besides, some aspects are just bad.

The thing is, most of your complains are either things that people love or don't care about so... it's just you don't feeling it. I truly think is one of the best games I've played this gen and I've played a lot of games, but I think it's pointless to tell you why I or others (well, actually can't speak for others) think the game is so good because you already feel the way you feel and you're are certain about your belief, there's little to do about that. I don't know if you would understand me because it's likely that every point that I consider too good or unique you will probably call a game that already does it or does it better, and it's logical since you don't love this game, it should be obvious that another games does similar things better.

This game is on the level of Red Dead Redemption for me. Amazing world, amazing main character, astonishing story, invigorating combat. If Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn't make it out this year, Horizon is my GOTY.

lt519

OK, I'm enjoying the story more now. Just took a little while to get rolling. It's nothing groundbreaking but it's certainly better than something like Tomb Raider.

Still not "getting" the combat. Mostly just use the different types of arrows and aim for weak spots while rolling around. To be fair I haven't taken on many of the big machines yet though in the wild, just the ones forced through the story missions. Resources are in abundance so it is making it easier, maybe need to pump the difficulty up to force me to do more than shoot arrows.

Mifune

Mehmber
OK, I'm enjoying the story more now. Just took a little while to get rolling. It's nothing groundbreaking but it's certainly better than something like Tomb Raider.

Still not "getting" the combat. Mostly just use the different types of arrows and aim for weak spots while rolling around. To be fair I haven't taken on many of the big machines yet though in the wild, just the ones forced through the story missions. Resources are in abundance so it is making it easier, maybe need to pump the difficulty up to force me to do more than shoot arrows.

If you want to be an arrows guy be an arrows guy. There is no one right way to tackle the robot battles. I think that's what makes the combat good.

Just finished the 10th story mission. 50 hrs in- only 1 or 2 games a generation keep my attention this long. Best combat I have experienced. The growth as a hunter from watcher to thunderjaw is seemless. I am not sure how they did it but it's the best organic combat system in the history of gaming.

Got my Platinum. Eagerly awaiting the expansion. Despite getting the last trophy before "it" started, I went ahead and completed the game again. That series of fights is great.

If you want to be an arrows guy be an arrows guy. There is no one right way to tackle the robot battles. I think that's what makes the combat good.
There are right and wrong ways to tackle different enemies but you can survive a wrong way to do it. Take stalkers for example. You can survive by burning them but the blast sling is the way to go.

Im no expert at the combat, but I've found that I like setting up traps and even some trip casters before starting the engagement. After I lure the machine into it, I'll go in for a crit or tear off some armor. After that I'll tear off more armor if I feel like it will help and I'll use my Sling to deal some high damage. I'll use rope caster too if things get really crazy.

Yes but the stalker gives you ample time to retaliate. Some beasts aren't so forgiving.

I mostly used shock against them (either sling, wires, or arrows), they fell pretty quick for it, after that just used spear critical damage and repeat the process once. Twice critical plus maybe two regular strikes and they're done.

Top Bottom