• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

JoeNut

Oh my god that intro was great, already fully immersed into the world with that.

Anyway, do you guys have any tips on which difficulty setting to play on? Had no issues beating Witcher 3 on Death March since the game was pretty straight forward. But I hear Very Hard here can be a bit too Souls-like in the approach to combat?

I'm on Hard, what i would say is there's a steep curve at a certain point, i'd say the first 20% of the game is really easy, and then it steps up.

If you're up for a challenge then i'd definitely go to at least hard

Zasa

I'm on Hard, what i would say is there's a steep curve at a certain point, i'd say the first 20% of the game is really easy, and then it steps up.

If you're up for a challenge then i'd definitely go to at least hard
That actually sounds not that bad, will be comfortable & used to the mechanics by then. Prefer that than to the Witcher 3 where your first fights are incredibly hard, & then it gets much easier when you pass Velen/White Orchard

Thanks, wil give hard a go!

About to face a
Thunderjaw
in the
zeta cauldron

Any tips?

I got my arse handed to me a number of times.

The easiest way to take it down is, right after you activate it, run to the furthest part of the arena, where you'll be kind of out of its LoS. While it is searching for you, slow down time, tearblast both of its disc launchers. Now it knows where you are, so ropecast it down, get a disc launcher and go to town, aiming for the core/heart. Repeat the ropecast/disc launcher step, if necessary.

That actually sounds not that bad, will be comfortable & used to the mechanics by then. Prefer that than to the Witcher 3 where your first fights are incredibly hard, & then it gets much easier when you pass Velen/White Orchard

Thanks, wil give hard a go!

I don't know how you play but you're Batman. Usually before every encounter you have prep time. If you use it, you're Batman. I think as long as you exploit the Machines weakness this game will be easy no matter what just like Pokémon.

There's only one machine that has given me trouble and it's
Storm Bird.

ZYSeqMo.gif

T.v

The only machines that have given me trouble are the Rockbreakers. I can not for the life of me get the hang of them. There is one corrupted zone in the north which has 2 of them, and I just get completely wrecked every time. One of them is doable, although I regularly mess up the timing on dodging their attacks, but with two of them I can't disable their digging ability fast enough to not get overwhelmed.

emag

Holy shit, the
Thunderjaw
boss of the last
zeta
cauldron is absurdly powerful. Doing near zero damage with my level 20 character, get knocked into critical health on one hit, and the game saved with my resources depleted. Guess I have to go out and grind up to get better weapons/ammo/armor and damage-boosting skill ups (I'm using the start of game stuff plus a shadow hunter bow). Maybe play some of the story quests.

For a game that claims to be open-world, there's a lot of effectively mandatory upgrades.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Holy shit, the
Thunderjaw
boss of the last
zeta
cauldron is absurdly powerful. Doing near zero damage with my level 20 character, get knocked into critical health on one hit, and the game saved with my resources depleted. Guess I have to go out and grind up to get better weapons/ammo/armor and damage-boosting skill ups (I'm using the start of game stuff plus a shadow hunter bow). Maybe play some of the story quests.

For a game that claims to be open-world, there's a lot of effectively mandatory upgrades.

Shoot off the disc launchers and you eliminate one its most dangerous weapons and can you pick up both to do massive damage. If you can open up the core in the center of the Thunderjaw and unload with the disc launcher you can kill it right then and there.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
After 5 - 6/7 hours I don't think I can be bothered with this anymore. It's obviously not a bad game and I was really excited to play it but it's just not doing much for me. Combat is decent, characters are fine and story is ok but nothing about it is really grabbing me and making me interested in it. Gah I hate it when that happens for something I'm excited about but same thing happened to me with Sunset Overdrive as well recently which I lost interest in 4 - 5hrs in so it's probably just me. Still, glad to see so many folks digging it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
After 5 - 6/7 hours I don't think I can be bothered with this anymore. It's obviously not a bad game and I was really excited to play it but it's just not doing much for me. Combat is decent, characters are fine and story is ok but nothing about it is really grabbing me and making me interested in it. Gah I hate it when that happens for something I'm excited about but same thing happened to me with Sunset Overdrive as well recently which I lost interest in 4 - 5hrs in so it's probably just me. Still, glad to see so many folks digging it.

The game takes a while to open fully as even after the initial intro you're still basically learning the ropes for several more hours and getting the basics of the world. You won't even fight really crazy robots till many hours into the game when you've left the starting area.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The game takes a while to open fully as even after the initial intro you're still basically learning the ropes for several more hours and getting the basics of the world. You won't even fight really crazy robots till many hours into the game when you've left the starting area.

Yeah I can completely understand that and I've had that experience with other games, but, honestly, I don't really consider it interesting enough for me to want to do that. Nothing about it is really driving me forward. I don't care about the story enough to want to find out what happens, I don't really enjoy the combat enough to want to really continue etc. What will happen is that I'll play it and just start to resent it and there's no need to do that when I can just play something else.

I know I know, I'm being a real miserable bastard here, I think it's just I thought I WOULD love it which is the thing but I just....don't. Oh well, I'm not gonna keep posting here and shitting on the game, I do enjoy reading folks experiences with it though :)

I finally found something I don't like in the game. I hate the time trails for the hunting site. They're fucking stressful. I've been playing this game in a way that I will eventually earn my 1st Platinum but these time trails is turning off to doing it.

One of my favorite things to do is override a Bellowback and watch it fight the other Bellowbacks. Shellbacks are the best fight visually.

leng jai

I finally found something I don't like in the game. I hate the time trails for the hunting site. They're fucking stressful. I've been playing this game in a way that I will eventually earn my 1st Platinum but these time trails is turning off to doing it.

One of my favorite things to do is override a Bellowback and watch it fight the other Bellowbacks. Shellbacks are the best fight visually.

If you're lazy you can just put the difficulty down to easy for the trials.

I'm about 15 hours in and feel the same way. Trying to decide if I'm going to drop it or not.

Yeah I can completely understand that and I've had that experience with other games, but, honestly, I don't really consider it interesting enough for me to want to do that. Nothing about it is really driving me forward. I don't care about the story enough to want to find out what happens, I don't really enjoy the combat enough to want to really continue etc. What will happen is that I'll play it and just start to resent it and there's no need to do that when I can just play something else.

I know I know, I'm being a real miserable bastard here, I think it's just I thought I WOULD love it which is the thing but I just....don't. Oh well, I'm not gonna keep posting here and shitting on the game, I do enjoy reading folks experiences with it though :)

I mean to each his own.. but...

GIANT ROBO DINO BATTLES!!!!

I don't mean you taking on the Robo's. No no no friend. I mean you going into a area with Shell Walker, Bellowbacks, Ravagers, and Stalkers and you override a Bellowback and maybe a Ravager and watch as they take on an entire area of other Ravagers and Bellowbacks.

It's like your own little Robo Fight Club.

Seriously though,

Don't play this if you're going to eventually end up hating it.

Just_one

Did this happen to anyone?

Finished the main story (without having all allies and it´s trophy), so after this i finshed all side quests and errands to get the trophy but somehow i dont get it
when Aloy goes to sleep

i´ve seen a dozens of videos and i know i have the quests and errands done but when the last mission starts
and when i have the optional quests to go talk to everyone before going to sleep , i can find all alies there...
help me out...

Donos

Oh my god that intro was great, already fully immersed into the world with that.

Anyway, do you guys have any tips on which difficulty setting to play on? Had no issues beating Witcher 3 on Death March since the game was pretty straight forward. But I hear Very Hard here can be a bit too Souls-like in the approach to combat?

Hard. Played W3 on Death March too and HZD is definitely the easier game.

There are 3-4 key weapons/skills that make the game rather easy for me.
1. Tear Arrows for enemies like
Ravager, Thunderjaw, Storm Bird, shooting their core weapons off,
also good for everything else,
2. Skills for upgrading the spear so that a heavy attack (R2) is almost always a stun so you can override or stab them after it
3. Blast tripwires. Rather op in my eyes. Add some mods and they are 1HKO for humans and devastating for machines

T.v

I just now figured out you don't actually need to fully draw your bow to fire.
Only took me 40 levels.

LoveCake

Reached Level 50 this evening, I got all the blazing suns on the trials that pushed me over 50.

I have done 79% and 90 hours.

I now walk around the world without a care or worry, I am invincible now with the 'special armor' all overrides and best weapons, having so much fun.

I just finished Nill's side quest. Such a awesome character.

I got all the Blazing Suns and just did the final Bandit camp. I'm level 44 and I still haven't met the Sun king. Lol..

LoveCake

I just finished Nill's side quest. Such a awesome character.

I got all the Blazing Suns and just did the final Bandit camp. I'm level 44 and I still haven't met the Sun king. Lol..

Similar to me, I did it a little before level 44, around 33 I think, anyway I think that this is a game that is more rewarding for going off and doing other things then just ploughing through the main story (quests).

I have played a lot this week, I still have lots of side quests and errands to do, so I am going to cool it for a bit and go collecting.

Just_one

this is getting pretty frustating... all main quests done , all side quest done , all errands done but the trophy (All Allies Joined) isnt popping out....

is the part of always choosing heart true? i dont think i always choose heart.

is that why?

LoveCake

this is getting pretty frustating... all main quests done , all side quest done , all errands done but the trophy (All Allies Joined) isnt popping out....

is that why?

I got this the other day, I didn't know about the 'heart' until I read about the achievement a week or so ago, and I know for a fact that before this I didn't choose the 'heart' option every time.

Have you checked a guide to make sure that you have everyone required?

is that why?

I'm kind of curious about this too. I didn't choose heart options much this play threw. It'll suck if I'm robbed my first platinum because of that.

Can someone answer?

ike_

The Deadliest Game errand was the one I was missing before I was able to go back and get the All Allies trophy. And that was today so hopefully it isn't bugged on current patch.

Just_one

An update : trophy finally unlocked , didnt do anything...dont know what happened maybe it was a little bug , i dont know.

Platinum 72 but this one is special...horizon is one of the best games i ever played.

Loved the story , gameplay and the graphics .... goddamn...i dont think i ´ve ever seen a more beautiful game ....

u will be missed aloy....

Spladam

I just now figured out you don't actually need to fully draw your bow to fire.
Only took me 40 levels.
Damn, same with me. I watched a video by someone here where they were fighting a Stormbird and rapid firing arrows at it. I was like "wow, never even thought of doing that" and I was like level 45.
An update : trophy finally unlocked , didnt do anything...dont know what happened maybe it was a little bug , i dont know.

Platinum 72 but this one is special...horizon is one of the best games i ever played.

Loved the story , gameplay and the graphics .... goddamn...i dont think i ´ve ever seen a more beautiful game ....

u will be missed aloy....
Glad that worked out. Did you just say you have 72 platinums?

I waste so much time in this game just wandering around and killing shit, lol.
Same, I was over leveled for everything. The combat and encounters were so much fun, and the world was so nice to explore.
If you're lazy you can just put the difficulty down to easy for the trials.
I never checked, and assumed there was an achievement for beating it on Very Hard without changing the difficulty. I finished every trial with Blazing suns the first time I encountered them, but I put three of them off until near the end. Shame, the Lodge weapons were awesome.

Just_one

Damn, same with me. I watched a video by someone here where they were fighting a Stormbird and rapid firing arrows at it. I was like "wow, never even thought of doing that" and I was like level 45.

Glad that worked out. Did you just say you have 72 platinums?

Yes, i got 72 platinums but i have the same account since my PS3 (around 2007)

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Beat it last night: the final fight was a bit of a cake walk, but this is a truly superb game. I don't think I have the desire to platinum it (I have the Hunter Lodge, the Metal Flowers, two Cauldrons, and a bunch of side quests, which is the one blemish on the game); though, I'll futz around in the world from time to time. Bring on the DLC!

I was trying to think about the games I've loved this gen, and this is right up there with Bloodborne, which is the best game on PS4 for me.

valkyre

Why am i so in love with this game?

I have spent 150hrs in the game and I still cant bring myself to stop going back to it... we are talking serious withdrawal issues... xD

DLC cant come soon Enough...

JoeNut

Can people be careful with spoilers please? I like this thread but there seems to be some fairly detailed stuff above that I haven't run into yet.

This game is bigger than I thought

ike_

Haha, I do love that goofy fish out of water flop attack Watchers try and hit you with. Makes me laugh every time.

Also pretty frustrating when they manage to blindside you with it while focusing on other robots.

Stealth hunting quest. You're supposed to take from 4 shell-walkers in just a minute.

I looked at a video on youtube because it was seeming impossible. In the videos I've watched there are 2 sets of 3 of their cannisters on the ground. When I try this though I only have 2 sets of 1. What's the deal?

ike_

Yeah, I think those crabs have developed an aggressive new AI since then.

I cheesed it by shooting tearblast arrows at all the crabs and running a circuit picking up what I could where I could.

Cornbread78

This game can be sneakily difficult at times if you don't use good tactics. I find myself dying when I try to run in and hack n' slash some of these dino's...

This game can be sneakily difficult at times if you don't use good tactics. I find myself dying when I try to run in and hack n' slash some of these dino's...

Yup, planning is the name of the game. If you go in without a fairly clear picture of what you're going to do, you almost always end up having a nasty time. Had my ass handed to me by a a herd of Longlengs because I failed to spot a few of them and got blindsided a few more times than I care to admit :D

Ok.. So last night I reached level 50, got all the collectables, learned every single Skills, finally unlocked that trophy where you have to kill atleast one of every aquisition machine after killing a side mission Rock Eater even though I had killed 2 prior to the battle, and did the main mission of fighting in the
Shadow Carga areana

I only have one more main mission before I get the final power cells for the Armory side mission. I'm excited to get my hands on it.

It's not a grind at all to level to 50. All you have to do are the side content. I reach level 50 without even doing all the side content because I was busy messing around in the in game world. I wish the skill tree was better. Wish there were more hacking abilities and skills to make your pets follow you no matter where you go.

Cornbread78

Yup, planning is the name of the game. If you go in without a fairly clear picture of what you're going to do, you almost always end up having a nasty time. Had my ass handed to me by a a herd of Longlengs because I failed to spot a few of them and got blindsided a few more times than I care to admit :D

Getting killed by a couple random watchers/scrappers is the worst when you fail to see them..

TrueBlue

Spoilers for near endgame.

So I've just finished The Heart of the Nora and there are two characters - Arana and Thok - who are speaking to me as if I've met them before. I've looked them up and see they're attached to a sidequest I haven't encountered or finished.

So what's the deal? I probably won't get that all allies trophy or whatever. Just struck me as weird.

Kambing

Beat the game one week back and it exceeded my expectations. They certainly nailed the game part of the experience, which is the most important aspect IMO. It is such a joy to control and engage in machine combat. I believe Sunhi's GIF are a testament to this.
Things i would love to see them expand on in the eventual sequel are more meaty sidequests, larger and more detailed zones between locations and for the love of god use a R&C type weapon wheel.

The Witcher 3 had sidequest that delved into activities that fleshed out the world lore -- you discovered a lot about the problems the people of Novigrad endured, their everyday struggles. Whereas in Horizon the majority of sidequest did not take full advantage of the fantastic world they created. The majority felt like re-skinned sidequest where the main difference between game to game is setting. It's such a shame because i really want to know more about the rituals, politics, etc of the world, heck even participate in it. Not just through audio logs or text, though they are appreciated. But i can't really complain because despite the above, HZD is my current GOTY. And i am not sure GG will double down on the RPG aspect of Horizon which is okay, that is just the route i would like them to go.

Shoutout to the team for making a game with the most varied and detailed number of NPC's i've seen to date... again such a shame we did not get more out of them!

9/10

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sunhi... you're killin' me!

No news about the DLC release date? Any kind of New Game +?

Stealth hunting quest. You're supposed to take from 4 shell-walkers in just a minute.

I looked at a video on youtube because it was seeming impossible. In the videos I've watched there are 2 sets of 3 of their cannisters on the ground. When I try this though I only have 2 sets of 1. What's the deal?

Honestly it was dumb luck along with Tear Arrows for me. Usually when I slide down I see 2 Shell Walkers, 1 always has its shell on the grown and the other sometimes has it on its back and sometimes on the grown next to the other one.

What I usually do is hit the other one with a Tear arrow and run down while being attacked and loot the 2 shells.

The other two Shell walkers are across the small field next to them so I sprint towards them and hit them with Tear Arrows and try to loot them as fast as I can.

It took alittle practice but eventually I got in in the 40 to 50 seconds range. You'll definitly get hit while looting and putting it on easy may make it slightly more easy to do but still a headache.

The one I had a hard time with was taking out the 4 Watchers. I hated that Hunt with a passion. I got that one with dumb luck.

Other news

I'm 2 trophies away from my first Platinum!

I'm missing the

All Allies trophy, this one I'm nervous that I might not get.

And

Defeat the ancient machine or something like that which I assume I just need to beat the game to get.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member

When i got it I scored 38sec 😊

Top Bottom