• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Cornbread78

Stupid death 101..

Unlock a tallneck and it weakens 4 sawtooths. I set up a bunch of traps and I'm working on picking them all off (took a few mins) I finally get tge last one down and go to do a critical hit and I get stepped on by tge tallneck and die... wtf!!!

Stupid death 101..

Unlock a tallneck and it weakens 4 sawtooths. I set up a bunch of traps and I'm working on picking them all off (took a few mins) I finally get tge last one down and go to do a critical hit and I get stepped on by tge tallneck and die... wtf!!!

That's amazing! Best death I've read so far.

----------------

Just beat the game! I got the All Allies trophy and I'm just waiting for the credits to roll to get the very last trophy for my first ever Platinum!

Great game! I can't wait until the DLC drops. I need more of this world.

I wished that

I could have rode a Thunder Jaw I control into a bandit camp for shits and giggles.

I could arrange a match between Thunder Jaw and Deathbringer.

The Ancient Armor had a ability that makes Machines I override follow me wherever I go except for obvious places like towns and such. Though it makes sense why it doesn't.

Hunter Trails wasn't time base. Seriously took the fun out of it for me.

I could talk to the Benut about leaving those collectables in those pain in the ass to reach areas.
I know it was just the one man and not the tribe.

There was more content in the game. lol... I already have the DLC bought and can't wait for its release.

I hope that we get to keep all of our gear in the DLC.

There were some things that bugged me during the play threw that I'll make a post about later when I can better for my thoughts. This game is definitely a game of the year contender for me along with Zelda Breath of the Wild and Persona 5.

I'm posting this as I'm watching the credits. I always sit threw credits of games I beat. It's my way of saying thanks to the people who made the game besides buying new.

Finally finished Nier Automata yesterday, so I started Horizon this afternoon. I had played a bit when it was first released but I couldn't get a feel for it and there were so many games released at the same time that I decided to shelve it until I got through a few of the other games in the backlog first. Now that I've restarted Horizon and can really focus on it, I'm having a blast. The quality of the game is just so phenomal, and now that I have the basics of hunting down, it's so much fun. I went out with friends tonight but all I could think about was going home and playing more. Can't wait to spend my day off tomorrow playing.

JoeNut

I think it's probably testament to this game that i've bought a 4k TV just to play it...don't even have a pro but it's for sure gonna be better than my current 720p plasma.

Holding out till it comes on thursday

xORYhzk.gif

Could take up to 4 weeks IIRC. Not sure if they send them out in batches or something.

This is good to know! I was expecting it today. Lol...

One more question

This is my first Platinum so I wouldn't know.

Whenever you platinum a game do the devs usually email out codes for a special platinum theme?

LoveCake

What are the highest rated modifications and where do I get them from, I have tried that Thunderjaw farming but all the purple mods are mostly less than the ones I already have :(

Paganmoon

This is good to know! I was expecting it today. Lol...

One more question

This is my first Platinum so I wouldn't know.

Whenever you platinum a game do the devs usually email out codes for a special platinum theme?

No, not usually, it's something Sony has done with a few of their first party titles though. Don't expect it for every platinum.

What are the highest rated modifications and where do I get them from, I have tried that Thunderjaw farming but all the purple mods are mostly less than the ones I already have :(

I think it's totally random, not sure if there's anything else to it other than RNG.

emag

I haven't forced myself to finish a game since Tomb Raider (2013), but Horizon was even more lengthy and uninteresting.

The devs created some beautiful scenery and models but failed to use them to produce an enjoyable experience. Every quest is absolute tedium, every "level" is uninspiring, and the story and characters are as bland as can be. The well crafted initial set up with Rost, the Matriachs, and the Nora is squandered and the replacement NPCs, friend and for alike, are entirely forgettable. Even The Witcher series did a better job of subverting expectations and making side-quests more than just filler. Even combat, whether against humans or machines, quickly grows stale. It's telling that the final boss battles are as banal as they are.

In short, Horizon Zero Dawn was a massive disappointment given its strong start and early Metroid Prime-like vibes. But I couldn't force myself to complete Breath of the Wild, so I guess point for Horizon?

JoeNut

I haven't forced myself to finish a game since Tomb Raider (2013), but Horizon was even more lengthy and uninteresting.

The devs created some beautiful scenery and models but failed to use them to produce an enjoyable experience. Every quest is absolute tedium, every "level" is uninspiring, and the story and characters are as bland as can be. The well crafted initial set up with Rost, the Matriachs, and the Nora is squandered and the replacement NPCs, friend and for alike, are entirely forgettable. Even The Witcher series did a better job of subverting expectations and making side-quests more than just filler. Even combat, whether against humans or machines, quickly grows stale. It's telling that the final boss battles are as banal as they are.

In short, Horizon Zero Dawn was a massive disappointment given its strong start and early Metroid Prime-like vibes. But I couldn't force myself to complete Breath of the Wild, so I guess point for Horizon?

Granted i'm only like 1/3 of the way through but i just don't see how these points can be made, the side quests i've done so far have all been varied, the characters for example Zaid have been interesting and well acted, and the combat is probably the most fun of any 3rd person game i can think of.

Different strokes i guess but wow, you are totally opposite to my opinoin (again, i've not played through the whole game but i can't see how my opinion would change so drastically)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah even if you hate Horizon you can't say the NPC's weren't the most varied and unique looking for a game of that size. Almost every NPC with a speaking part had a distinct appearance, outfit, even voice. It was impressive as hell to me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
do we know how accessing the DLC works? do you need to get to a certain point in the base game or can you just start it fresh? as much as i enjoyed the game i really don't want to have to play through it again to a certain point just for the DLC. i hope they do what The Witcher 3 did and start you off at the appropriate level with a some gear to get you going.

Yeah even if you hate Horizon you can't say the NPC's weren't the most varied and unique looking for a game of that size. Almost every NPC with a speaking part had a distinct appearance, outfit, even voice. It was impressive as hell to me.

I actually wish they had done more with NPCs, because most of them have so much character, so much potential. Nil, Vanasha, Petra, Talanah, Brin, Erend, Janeva, all awesome characters I'd love to get to know more.

Hopefully we'll keep with them and expand upon in the DLC/sequel.

do we know how accessing the DLC works? do you need to get to a certain point in the base game or can you just start it fresh? as much as i enjoyed the game i really don't want to have to play through it again to a certain point just for the DLC.

We don't know yet, but since the game throws you back in time after you finish it, I'm guessing they'll do the most logical thing and give you access from that point. The DLC seems to be set chronologically after the game, after all.

Been using my Gold headset near exclusively for this game since starting it up after dropping it for BOTW, and it still puzzles me that Guerilla didn't develop a profile for it.

Fought my first Thunderjaw and Storm bird(?) yesterday. Crazy thrilling fights. Think I'm at the point where the combat has near or fully clicked and loving it.

The one thing I'm not really loving is the data point/collectables. The little logs in particular, as quite a few are a nightmare to stumble into. Linear games that isn't as much of an issue, but an open world where many of the structures and landscape blend together it's at best an irritation.

HStallion

Been using my Gold headset near exclusively for this game since starting it up after dropping it for BOTW, and it still puzzles me that Guerilla didn't develop a profile for it.

Fought my first Thunderjaw and Storm bird(?) yesterday. Crazy thrilling fights. Think I'm at the point where the combat has near or fully clicked and loving it.

The one thing I'm not really loving is the data point/collectables. The little logs in particular, as quite a few are a nightmare to stumble into. Linear games that isn't as much of an issue, but an open world where many of the structures and landscape blend together it's at best an irritation.

If you're talking about the logs you find in the world they're usually just random side info and fleshing out some other element the main story follows.

If you're talking about the logs you find in the world they're usually just random side info and fleshing out some other element the main story follows.

Yes and that's understood, but it doesn't feel well designed for an open world game. Personally would have tweaked them to emit a small signal (maybe within 30 steps?).

emag

Granted i'm only like 1/3 of the way through but i just don't see how these points can be made, the side quests i've done so far have all been varied, the characters for example Zaid have been interesting and well acted, and the combat is probably the most fun of any 3rd person game i can think of.

I had to look up who Zaid was, as I'd already forgotten. There are more than a couple "walk to this place -> get ambushed by the quest-giver's forces" side quests in Horizon, and they're all painfully bland, as are the dozen+ "walk to location -> scan objects -> follow tracks -> scan objects -> follow tracks -> kill enemies" quests. I can't see how I could be invested in such transparent filler.

It is impressive that there are so many NPCs with distinctive appearances and voices, I suppose, but they give you one or two fetch quests with just a handful of lines and effectively no development. The biggest about face is Lansa going from variations of "Shun the outcast!"/"Blasphemy!" to her final line of "Forgive me, annointed!", but that's literally the entirety of what the game offers. We don't get one iota of actual backstory or meaningful development for her, and in fact don't have any mention of her from the second hour to the penultimate hour of the game.

HStallion

It is impressive that there are so many NPCs with distinctive appearances and voices, I suppose, but they give you one or two fetch quests with just a handful of lines and effectively no development. The biggest about face is Lansa going from variations of "Shun the outcast!"/"Blasphemy!" to her final line of "Forgive me, annointed!", but that's literally the entirety of what the game offers. We don't get one iota of actual backstory or meaningful development for her, and in fact don't have any mention of her from the second hour to the penultimate hour of the game.

They give you more than enough info about Lansa and how she sees the world so I'm not sure what else needed to be known about her. That and I'm not sure what the type of quest given by a character had to do with said character.

I'm not sure what the back story complaints are about considering the entire game is about discovering the back story of the world and the characters. You get a ton of info on the backgrounds of several characters, several of whom Aloy doesn't even meet in game.

Ted Faro was a more memorable villain then 90 percent of the gaming world has to offer

T.v

I think it's probably testament to this game that i've bought a 4k TV just to play it...don't even have a pro but it's for sure gonna be better than my current 720p plasma.

Holding out till it comes on thursday

I did the same, although it was not just for this game, and the difference is quite profound. Even without a Pro the inclusion of HDR alone makes a big difference.

Finished: "Deep Secrets of the Earth" last night and oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I really like the way the story is going in this game.

My one complaint is that I feel like the voice acting at times is weak and other times they don't show emotion well on the characters faces.

watdaeff4

So.......

I haven't started this yet but feel the urge to. The problem is that my wife is due with our 3rd child within the next month and I won't have a lot of gaming time between now and the next few months.

Is this the type of game that would be unfit to play sporadically over a few months or would it still be enjoyable?

Donos

Finished it and really liked it. Bit disappointed with the last boss. (end game spoiler]
it just beeing a corrupted deathbringer + 2 waves of mid tier machines.
Really nice game and the story was good. Just sold it and now i see a patch with ng+ -_-

If you struggle with fights, use blast tripwires. These things are so good. Also useable right in the fights if you can aim good.

Lore (audio/text) stuff is really good. Bummer that it overlays with main story audio.

emag

So.......

I haven't started this yet but feel the urge to. The problem is that my wife is due with our 3rd child within the next month and I won't have a lot of gaming time between now and the next few months.

Is this the type of game that would be unfit to play sporadically over a few months or would it still be enjoyable?

You're less likely to grow bored of the repetitive nature of the game if you play it over a few months than if you play it over a few days.

Jawmuncher

So this game seems a bit too hard and crafting heavy. I currently did a mission where I had to fight two of those walker octopus robot things. It was a pain the entire time. I was able to get rid of one with logs but had to spend so much time fighting the other.

I have a Blue Colored Sligshot, Bow, Staff, and Trip Shooter (Places the trip wires). Everything seems to do low as hell damage even when I use weaknesses such as Fire. I was above the level requirements for the mission but I must be doing something wrong.

Majority of the time I basically just use the trip mine like a grenade launcher to get any real damage done. Is there anything I'm missing? I bought ultra rare armor and then went to check the weapons and don't see anything of use. It's just a machine gun, other bows, and the gun to tether robots down.

I'd like to enjoy the game since it has potential, but it's fighting me every step of the way

HStallion

So this game seems a bit too hard and crafting heavy. I currently did a mission where I had to fight two of those walker octopus robot things. It was a pain the entire time. I was able to get rid of one with logs but had to spend so much time fighting the other.

I have a Blue Colored Sligshot, Bow, Staff, and Trip Shooter (Places the trip wires). Everything seems to do low as hell damage even when I use weaknesses such as Fire. I was above the level requirements for the mission but I must be doing something wrong.

Majority of the time I basically just use the trip mine like a grenade launcher to get any real damage done. Is there anything I'm missing? I bought ultra rare armor and then went to check the weapons and don't see anything of use. It's just a machine gun, other bows, and the gun to tether robots down.

I'd like to enjoy the game since it has potential, but it's fighting me every step of the way

There are several areas you can do a lot of damage to them that you can high light with the focus. Also tying them down with the rope caster helps a lot and gives you time to unload on them. Fire also takes several hits before the fire icon fills up and the fire status effect actually activates and will have a distinct effect on the corrupters.

shiba5

YES!!!!
Guerrilla you da best!

FYI: New Game+ is grayed out in the main menu. You have to load one of your previous saves and then bring up the menu and pick create new game+ which creates a loadout based on that save.
Then you can load the new game.

Also, when you're in new game+ you cannot load a save from the "normal" game unless you back all the way out to the main menu. It can't even see those save files until you do that. I thought it had deleted my old games at first but they just separated them.
Doesn't look like you can adjust the difficulty level once you've picked it at the start of new game+
You start with all your skills except the machine override ones.
You don't have to replay the young Aloy tutorial section. It starts you off before the proving now.

shiba5

They added face paint so you can customize Aloy, but I'm not sure how it's unlocked yet.

Edit: appears to be a reward for playing new game+ on hard/ultra hard

LoveCake

Mine has updated, I have seen the New Game+ but I have not had a go yet, I just went to continue my original game, I have not yet 100% it yet, which is what I am working on now after completing the main quests.

If I go into New Game+ can I go back into my original game and/or how will this effect the 100% platinum?

shiba5

Mine has updated, I have seen the New Game+ but I have not had a go yet, I just went to continue my original game, I have not yet 100% it yet, which is what I am working on now after completing the main quests.

If I go into New Game+ can I go back into my original game and/or how will this effect the 100% platinum?

The two new trophies aren't needed for the platinum.
When you start new game+ it creates a separate save so if you are in new game+ and want to load an old save, you have to go back to the starting menu. You can't see your old saves from new game+, but they are still there.

LoveCake

The two new trophies aren't needed for the platinum.
When you start new game+ it creates a separate save so if you are in new game+ and want to load an old save, you have to go back to the starting menu. You can't see your old saves from new game+, but they are still there.

Ok thank you, I will leave it a bit first I think.

Do you start the game a fresh but with all weapons, mods, outfits and overrides, just to confirm.

shiba5

Ok thank you, I will leave it a bit first I think.

Do you start the game a fresh but with all weapons, mods, outfits and overrides, just to confirm.

You load up whichever game you want to make a copy with. (I have a 100% complete game I loaded up.) Then when you bring up the menu, you will see "new game +" and it will ask you if you want to create a loadout from that game. It then creates a separate save and you'll start with all the gear and skills you had from the old save. All skills are unlocked (if you had everything) except for the two combat override and mount call skills. Those unlock after the quest to override the Strider near the beginning of the game.
The new game starts after the young Aloy tutorials so you don't have to do those again.

Oh and nothing from the Notebook carries over.

Playsage

If you need ammo resources, you just need to remember to silent strike small machines along the road so you get max drops at 0 resources expense.
Don't forget to stack up on ridge-wood early in the game.

If you want a early high damage weapon you should try the blue sharpshooter bow, which in addition to heavy arrows, it uses one of the best ammo types of the game: tearblast arrows (specialized for removing machine parts).
You aren't going to rely on Hunter bow for damage until you unlock to purchase the purple variant with hardpoint arrows (the most versatile ammo in the game).
Investing on double and triple arrows skills will amp up your damage per hit later on.

Remember, though, that all machines are going to easily tank your attacks, unless you aim for their weakspots (some machine have spots that can go up to a x8 damage multiplier if I'm not mistaken) or their main body under the plate (normal damage)

Elemental damage works similiar to MH status effects: elemental arrows and projectiles don't cause much damage on hit, but they fill a meter on the target. Once it is full, the target gets affected with a status, like "burning" which inflicts damage over time. If a machine is weak it basicly means that the meter for that element fills up faster.
A good way to learn how the different damage types work is to do Hunting Ground trials

As for Shellwalkers, they are tough motherfuckers at the beginning due to their intimidating arsenal. You should focus on disabling their weapons (tearblast arrows are really good for this)
Then, expose its weakpoint and attack for massive damage.

EDIT: wait, you mean the Corruptors with "octopus walker". Ah.
Well, those don't have many exploitable weaknesses except for the possibilty for them to "overheat". As it receives fire damage (and, iirc, also uses its ranged weapons) a meter fills up and when its full it reveals its weakpoint. Encounter-wise, they are bit different from the wildlife machines.

LoveCake

You load up whichever game you want to make a copy with. (I have a 100% complete game I loaded up.) Then when you bring up the menu, you will see "new game +" and it will ask you if you want to create a loadout from that game. It then creates a separate save and you'll start with all the gear and skills you had from the old save. All skills are unlocked (if you had everything) except for the two combat override and mount call skills. Those unlock after the quest to override the Strider near the beginning of the game.
The new game starts after the young Aloy tutorials so you don't have to do those again.

Oh and nothing from the Notebook carries over.

Thank you, I will keep going on my original for a while, I don't think I am good enough for ultra hard mode yet.

Falchion

I'm eagerly awaiting some impressions of ultra hard mode. I played on normal but regretted not jumping into hard on my first playthrough. I'm very tempted to do ultra hard in a new playthrough.

MaKTaiL

I'm eagerly awaiting some impressions of ultra hard mode. I played on normal but regretted not jumping into hard on my first playthrough. I'm very tempted to do ultra hard in a new playthrough.

I completed the game on Very Hard the first time and today I came back for the NG+. Started on Ultra Hard right away. I'm finding it to be pretty similar to Very Hard. The only big difference is definitely the lack of enemy health bar, so there is no way to tell if the enemy is dying until it drops dead. So far it's been pretty easy for me. Just finished the Grave-Hoard quest (yeah, I'm speed running).

Top Bottom