• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Uggh. I finally got him frozen, but arrows weren't doing enough damage to put either of them down. I tried setting every trap I had aa well, but still not enough damage...

Gotcha. Are the trials worth trying to complete? Also, are the hunters guild missions worth it? I'm not going to bother doing all the stupid item collections since they are a pain in the butt..

You get a skill point for getting a Blazing Sun in each trial so you can get a lot of skill points. Also realize you can cheese several of the trials. For example the Hunter trial where you have to kill the Stalkers you can actually figure out where the Stalkers spawn when you start the trial and prior to starting the trial set up a ton of trip caster traps and mines under where they spawn and you'll do a huge amount of damage or out right kill them right at the start of the trial. I beat mine in like 45 seconds lol

qPaxCGO.gif

shiba5

Gotcha. Are the trials worth trying to complete? Also, are the hunters guild missions worth it? I'm not going to bother doing all the stupid item collections since they are a pain in the butt..

Only if you want the Lodge weapons. If you are going to do new game+, the new Adept weapons are better.
There's a good side quest (that you'll need for a trophy) from the Hunter's Lodge, but you only need to complete 3 trials to start it.

Cornbread78

You get a skill point for getting a Blazing Sun in each trial so you can get a lot of skill points. Also realize you can cheese several of the trials. For example the Hunter trial where you have to kill the Stalkers you can actually figure out where the Stalkers spawn when you start the trial and prior to starting the trial set up a ton of trip caster traps and mines under where they spawn and you'll do a huge amount of damage or out right kill them right at the start of the trial. I beat mine in like 45 seconds lol
Only if you want the Lodge weapons. If you are going to do new game+, the new Adept weapons are better.
There's a good side quest (that you'll need for a trophy) from the Hunter's Lodge, but you only need to complete 3 trials to start it.

Ugghh. I did the first few missions for the lodge and I'm now a member. Any need to progress further there?

I'll look around the map for more trials and see what they are like. The required set I tried a bunch of times but could only get 1 full sun and only the "bronze" level for tge others...

Cornbread78

Dammit, I wanted to finish this up before Final Fantasy XII dropped this week, but nope, I got tied up in doing all the side quests again, lol. I took out Redmaw to finish that trophy as well as rescuing the
Shadow Carja king and helping him and his mother defect

I think I've done all the majir side quests now, so it's probably time to finish this bad boy up.

shiba5

For those of you speed running through "ultra hard", is it possible to skip any of the main quests that aren't tied to the overarching plot? Like maybe I think Resh should be warchief (haha) so I ignore looking for Sona and go straight to Mother's Crown and then Daytower... what happens? Or, say skip all of the Erend quests, will the game even let you?

Although, I guess if you could, you'd end up with no allies for the final fight.

For those of you speed running through "ultra hard", is it possible to skip any of the main quests that aren't tied to the overarching plot? Like maybe I think Resh should be warchief (haha) so I ignore looking for Sona and go straight to Mother's Crown and then Daytower... what happens? Or, say skip all of the Erend quests, will the game even let you?

You can't continue since Erend quests are also main quests.
Everything that is marked as main quest has to be completed.

For example you can't speak with the king without Erend. You have to do his quests first.

Question for platinum holders.

Do you have to get all the data points and scanned text docs? Seems like I missed one or two here and there.

And I apparently missed a side quest because I don't think I got all possible people to come help you. :(

edit:
For the actual game.
Story - Loved it. Was really happy how it turned out, and holy fuck was Faro as fucking asshole. Wish he was somehow alive so I could have pulled the plug on him while he was trapped inside or something. Sylense reveal at the end didn't come as a surprise as he said he would do it all over again, though I wonder who or what the 'masters' are. I really hope the sequel moves away from Hades. With that said, how the hell is Hades even still alive? Bad guys find a way?
Music - Loved it. Sometimes I found myself being entranced or something in the cauldrons or just out in the wild.
Gameplay - Was never bored, loved every second of it. My only complaint, if this could be counted in gameplay was resource management. I wish you had storage to offload some of the animal hearts or something. Or have ammo supplies be separate, idk. While loving it I thought the staff attacks were animated nicely I just hated doing them ever.
One thing I thought could be better in the sequel is just Aloy walking around and moving around. Animations for opening doors was awkward a lot, animations for climbing was sometimes off. And I thought outside of a few characters, Aloy included, emotions on faces was really bad. But with that stuff, the game is amazing. First play through was 55 hours.

Nydius

Do you have to get all the data points and scanned text docs? Seems like I missed one or two here and there.

And I apparently missed a side quest because I don't think I got all possible people to come help you. :(

Nope, thank goodness. I'm missing several because they're SO easy to miss with their tiny little icon that can be completely obscured by foliage or buildings...

E: Here's a list of all the allies you can have at the final mission if you've done all the main and side-quests:
Aluki (Banuk Encampment side quest), Elida (Brightmarket side quest), Erend (Main Quest), Janeva (Sunstone Rock side quest), Nakoa (Mother's Rise side quest), Namman (Meridian side quest), Petra Forgewoman (Free Heap side quest), Sona & Varl (Main Quest), Talanah (Hunters Lodge side quests), Teb (not really a quest, just a character that stays with you no matter what so long as you chat with him), Uthid & Vanesha (Sunfall side quest).

You'll note a lack of Nil in the list. I don't think Nil counts but so long as you don't kill him after clearing all of the bandit camps, he'll show up too.

Megatron

I am about to the Quest deep secrets of the Earth and Silens calls it
a point of no return
. Is it really?
Do I have to do all my side quests now? This seems early.

Ethelwulf

Hello Horizon Gaf,
I finally finished the game. What a blast! Did it on hard. Took me 37 hrs with multiple side quests. I still can't believe that
it takes place on earth
. I thought all along
it took place on mars
. I even remember finding this text saying something about
colonizing mars
. Or am I missing something? It's not that I'm disappointed, but I would have preferred the latter. I would also say it gets a little too easy in the end, even on hard. Maybe I was overpowered. Anyway. GOTY for me.

Hello Horizon Gaf,
I finally finished the game. What a blast! Did it on hard. Took me 37 hrs with multiple side quests. I still can't believe that
it takes place on earth
. I thought all along
it took place on mars
. I even remember finding this text saying something about
colonizing mars
. Or am I missing something? It's not that I'm disappointed, but I would have preferred the latter. I would also say it gets a little too easy in the end, even on hard. Maybe I was overpowered. Anyway. GOTY for me.
Did you miss all of the
vantage points that show (mostly) real-world locations?

Donos

I am about to the Quest deep secrets of the Earth and Silens calls it
a point of no return
. Is it really?
Do I have to do all my side quests now? This seems early.

You just can't leave that area. Don't worry.

Until the Quest is done? I can do my side quests after this mission is finished?

Ye, you can do side stuff after that quest. Game will properly tell you when point of return is about to be hit, it isn't NPC dialogue.

It's not the final PONR but since [story spoiler what happens after the mission]
your starting village gets attacked after you leave that area, you can't do some of the sidequests from there anymore iirc

Hey guys. Started this game last week and have been enjoying it. Only issue so far is that I feel like I'm not getting the combat at all.

For every encounter above scrapper/strider I just default to putting down shock traps, wait for the sawtooth/shellwalker to step on it, R1, repeat. Its the only strategy that's worked for me consistently, and I don't get why other strats aren't working even tho the Focus tooltips say so and so machine is weak to Fire or whatnot

Cornbread78

Hey guys. Started this game last week and have been enjoying it. Only issue so far is that I feel like I'm not getting the combat at all.

For every encounter above scrapper/strider I just default to putting down shock traps, wait for the sawtooth/shellwalker to step on it, R1, repeat. Its the only strategy that's worked for me consistently, and I don't get why other strats aren't working even tho the Focus tooltips say so and so machine is weak to Fire or whatnot

Level up those bows and arrow skills bruh. I rely on the blast traps a lot, so I bounce back and forth between the traps and different status arrows.

Its the only strategy that's worked for me consistently, and I don't get why other strats aren't working even tho the Focus tooltips say so and so machine is weak to Fire or whatnot

Fire weakness means that machine part accumulates and fills the Fire damage gauge faster. When the gauge is full, it will trigger the Fire status (DoT, will cause some machines to reveal weak spots, etc). Same is true for the other status effects. If you have Freeze ammo, triggering the Freeze status vastly increases the damage your other weapons deal.

Look for cargo sacs, canisters, etc. Hit those with the appropriate ammo and it will trigger a massive explosion that deals a huge amount of damage.

Fire weakness means that machine part accumulates and fills the Fire damage gauge faster. When the gauge is full, it will trigger the Fire status (DoT, will cause some machines to reveal weak spots, etc). Same is true for the other status effects. If you have Freeze ammo, triggering the Freeze status vastly increases the damage your other weapons deal.

Look for cargo sacs, canisters, etc. Hit those with the appropriate ammo and it will trigger a massive explosion that deals a huge amount of damage.

Right but when I fought my first bellowback my fire arrows were not effective at all, every time I hit the damn thing the fire gauge on the machine moves by a really really small amount and then I have to roll to dodge the fire spit attack. By the time I could aim again the fire gauge had expired and I'd have to build it up again. Not that I was ever able to get it past 25% in the first place

I have the blue hunter bow rn, is that too low?

Falchion

Wow, those face paints look fantastic. When I start Ultra Hard next year I'll disable the headdresses and use some of those for an alternate look. Also had no clue there are new focus colors now! This is just the game that keeps on giving.

Right but when I fought my first bellowback my fire arrows were not effective at all, every time I hit the damn thing the fire gauge on the machine moves by a really really small amount and then I have to roll to dodge the fire spit attack. By the time I could aim again the fire gauge had expired and I'd have to build it up again. Not that I was ever able to get it past 25% in the first place

I have the blue hunter bow rn, is that too low?

Fire Bellowbacks are mostly resistant to Fire, so yeah, you're gonna have a hard time going that route with them. They've got a Blaze canister that is weak to fire, but it's hidden in its underside and hard to reach. If you disable them with Shock Wires, the canister becomes visible while they're on their side and it gives you a nice window to blow them up.

Weapon rarity only determines the kinds of ammo it fields and how many mod slots it has. Mods are what really makes a difference in making each weapon more effective.

You can buy hearts from a vendor in Meridian

I meant skin and bone but YouTube helped me find goose.

Trophy question. What are the hidden trophies under all corrupted zones cleared and recovered a powerful weapon?

Edit: I haven't found a machine yet, wtf? In the machine catalog what is one to the right if scrapper?

Fire Bellowbacks are mostly resistant to Fire, so yeah, you're gonna have a hard time going that route with them. They've got a Blaze canister that is weak to fire, but it's hidden in its underside and hard to reach. If you disable them with Shock Wires, the canister becomes visible while they're on their side and it gives you a nice window to blow them up.

Weapon rarity only determines the kinds of ammo it fields and how many mod slots it has. Mods are what really makes a difference in making each weapon more effective.

O I didn't realize that the weakness to fire only applied to its undercarriage and not the rest of the machine.

No wonder

IMACOMPUTA

Finally got a pro and started playing this game. It's great so far, except that I keep having music tracks abruptly cut out during cutscenes and just roaming around. It's incredibly distracting and kind of ruining the game for me. Is this a known problem? Anyone have this happen to them?
Examples:
https://youtu.be/Z0quUqF0OT4
https://youtu.be/G5qXinabEoU
https://youtu.be/qGCoeSnYxpE

Also, the little hiccup/stutter it does in those recordings does not happen while I'm playing. While I'm playing, the audio just stops. So that's weird... Hmm.

I think I am going to try and play the Ultra Hard game without the Blast Sling. It just makes it easy mode.

Try to go without Tear Arrows, as well. I did Very Hard without those (and some other things) and it made for a completely different experience.

NG+ and Ultra Hard are alluring me to get back into the game, but I've been busy and got other games to play. Ugh.

I'm still thinking back on this game and I'm still so upset about (endgame spoikera)
faro
. Seriously, fuck him.
he causes everything, fucks our culture over and then murders all the alphas.

shiba5

Try to go without Tear Arrows, as well. I did Very Hard without those (and some other things) and it made for a completely different experience.

NG+ and Ultra Hard are alluring me to get back into the game, but I've been busy and got other games to play. Ugh.

I stopped using tear arrows on ultra hard because it takes too long to knock stuff off. Now I just tie them down and blow them apart.

Top Bottom