• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn sells 10 million copies WorldWide! 2 Year anniversary. (PS4, Killzone Devs)

Today Sony Interactive Entertainment and Guerrilla Games announced that the critically acclaimed Horizon Zero Dawn has passed ten million copies sold.

As a matter of fact, we don’t really know the precise numbers, as the wording mentions “well over” ten million units, so the game could be already close to eleven million copies.
The announcement comes on a special day for the fans of Guerrilla’s latest IP, as the Horizon Zero dawn was released in North America on Feb. 28, 2017. European gamers will celebrate the anniversary tomorrow since the game was launched in the Old Continent on March 1st.
The milestone feels certainly deserved, as Guerrilla Games moved on from the safety and the linear borders of its traditional Killzone franchises and dared to boldly go into a fully new setting and genre, creating an open-world RPG that impressed many.

Congratulations to GG and Sony for 10 million Horizon sales!!!!

While I have some issues with the game, it is a great first attempt for a studio that was basically forced to make Killzone games. Hopefully Sony doesn't make them go back, outside maybe the B team, and have them focus on other genres. I can see arcade racing working based on their vehicle controls in other games.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Congratulations to GG and Sony for 10 million Horizon sales!!!!

While I have some issues with the game, it is a great first attempt for a studio that was basically forced to make Killzone games. Hopefully Sony doesn't make them go back, outside maybe the B team, and have them focus on other genres. I can see arcade racing working based on their vehicle controls in other games.

What indication is there that they were forced to make Killzone games? The fact that they were given the flexibility to launch a new IP about robot dinosaurs in the RPG space seems to conflict with that statement.

Well deserved. And one of very few positive signs for our hobby when single player only game without any microtransactions can sell like this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The game was just something special. Can't wait for it to be fleshed out more on new hardware

About to jump back into RDR2 and complete that, and once I'm done I'm going to make Horizon my next game before Sekiro drops.

I've been on a Driveclub kick again lately.

ruvikx

Banned
How many were bundled with console sales? As for the game, it's okay. I've played far, far worse, but it's still very Ubisoft-esque with an open world built around checklist collectathon & an overuse of stealth in long grass. I also thought the story & setting was as bad as Battlefield Earth (cringe dialogue). But I did have fun fighting some of the bigger enemies (it also looked amazing at night with great fire effects).

Can't wait for Guerilla's next game. Horizon Zero Dawn was amazing!

I want another Killzone. It has such huge (underused) potential.

LMJ

Of course the question of the hour is will we get horizon Zero Dawn 2 this gen, or next?

[QUOTE="ruvikx, post: 253827500, member: 739124]
I want another Killzone. It has such huge (underused) potential.[/QUOTE]

If they get a competent writer, I think the game could truly be spectacular, like you said untapped potential that just has so much amazing lore to explore...

I don't see why they couldn't do both, their team is big enough, But maybe that's just wishful thing lol

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Well deserved, such an amazing experience.

I still can't believe the story was good as it was. I expected a game about robot dinosaurs to have a throwaway story, but it ended up with a very cool sci-fi plot.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I still can't believe the story was good as it was. I expected a game about robot dinosaurs to have a throwaway story, but it ended up with a very cool sci-fi plot.

Damn, now I'm even more excited to play it after I finish RDR2.

Fbh

Congrats to Guerilla.
I have to admit I didn't expect it to be that good, I didn't think they could go from linear FPS's with fun multiplayer and meh single player to a big story heavy open world.... but they really nailed it.

Can't wait to see what they will do with the sequel on next gen

An aggressive price cut is certainly helping that greatly

So they made a great game and then also made it really affordable later on.
Those bastards!!!!

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Ok, I've never really gotten an answer on this but is it a stealth game? I hate stealth games but this always interested me.

Say what you want about Killzone, but they were never lazy with the stories in those games, so I expect at least decent writing for an RPG, and they did a good job.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Get your ass in gear and play it already

20190228-160317.jpg

How do I open it :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_beaming:

Horizon 2 on PS5 is going to be just mind-blowing as GG are tech wizards. I remember Killzone utilising the power of PS4 really well for a launch game.

Loved it, got burned out of the DLC (+ I didn't like snow areas that much) but main game was such a great time. Fast gameplay + crazy good story later on hooked me to ps4 for hours.

zenspider

Well earned. Horizon stood out from a very stale, paint-by-numbers genre. I think there was quest bloat and crafting was inconsequential by the mid-game, but it was a fun time for most of it.

fallingdove

Say what you want about Killzone, but they were never lazy with the stories in those games, so I expect at least decent writing for an RPG, and they did a good job.

I always thought that the Killzone games had a pretty standard sci-fi story line. Wasn’t Horizon’s story and world influenced by bringing some writers over from CD Project Red?

thelastword

Banned
Posted by Hermen Hulst Managing Director, Guerrilla Games

"It’s hard to believe that two whole years have passed since we released Horizon Zero Dawn. When the game launched on February 28, I was attending GDC and counting down the minutes with a group of fellow Guerrillas and Shuhei Yoshida. Early feedback suggested that we had something special on our hands, but we never suspected that we’d still be receiving daily messages of appreciation from our players in 2019.

And yet, here we are, already well over 10 million copies sold worldwide; the idea that we were able to bring Aloy’s journey to so many players is astounding."

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...anniversary-10-million-copies-sold-worldwide/

The bolded suggests that it may be closer to 11 million tbh.....Very impressive sales for a new franchise....Well deserved...

Also, reported figures as as follow;

2.6m in 2 weeks
7.6m in 1 year
Well over 10m in 2 years

I still need to play this but I was/am determined to get a Pro first before doing so. Course it's rapidly looking like I'm not gonna end up with a Pro before next gen beings, so hopefully PS5 has bc... =S

nowhat

Damn, now I'm even more excited to play it after I finish RDR2.
(this is all IMHO, naturally) I feel there are basically two narratives in HZD. They overlap at times of course, but I still find them to be quite separate. One is about "what happened?", and that's incredibly well done. There are tons of written notes and audiologs to discover into if you're so inclined (I'm not usually one for collectibles, but there's a particular set that tells a quite touching story about the "old world") - you don't have to, the story gets told along the main quest, but if you like to delve deeper into the lore it's there. But I was surprised how hard(ish) scifi it turned out to be. Personally I would have been fine with "so there are cavemen fighting robot dinosaurs, just roll with it", but when I learned what "Zero Dawn" is I was quite blown away. It was not something I saw coming, so my hat's off to John Gonzales there.

And then there's the story of Aloy the protagonist, and.... well, it's a story about Aloy the protagonist. It's not particularly bad, it's just quite generic and some of the story beats can be seen from a mile away. Still, to have one great narrative and one average in a single game is much more than with most games.

Top Bottom