• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn sells 10 million copies WorldWide! 2 Year anniversary. (PS4, Killzone Devs)

mejin

PS5 will have benefit hugely from the sequels of all those big exclusives on PS4: Spider, GoW, Bloodborne, Horizon. Must buy system imo

What?

A company making one series over the course of 12 years doesn’t automatically mean they are being forced to make the games. But ok... I at least appreciate the nuance in your narrative today.

It's a well known fact that Sony pushed GG into Killzone originally as the Halo Killer, this isn't a new thing. Just because you're ignorant of it doesn't mean it never happened.

StormCell

I'm one of those happy 10+ million. HZD is one of the games that I will remember as defining this generation. Terrific story, amazing graphics, and fun game play is a rare combination this generation.

scalman

Enjoyed every minute of game playing it twice with new game+ on ps4 pro on 1080p supersampled mode which gave almost perfect AA to everydetail

Geki-D

Banned
It's a well known fact that Sony pushed GG into Killzone originally as the Halo Killer, this isn't a new thing. Just because you're ignorant of it doesn't mean it never happened.
It's a well known fact the press labeled KZ as a Halo killer. What is your source for Sony pushing GG into make a "Halo killer" game?

fallingdove

You do know that forcing a developer to make certain games and marketing Killzone as the Halo killer are different things right?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
(this is all IMHO, naturally) I feel there are basically two narratives in HZD. They overlap at times of course, but I still find them to be quite separate. One is about "what happened?", and that's incredibly well done. There are tons of written notes and audiologs to discover into if you're so inclined (I'm not usually one for collectibles, but there's a particular set that tells a quite touching story about the "old world") - you don't have to, the story gets told along the main quest, but if you like to delve deeper into the lore it's there. But I was surprised how hard(ish) scifi it turned out to be. Personally I would have been fine with "so there are cavemen fighting robot dinosaurs, just roll with it", but when I learned what "Zero Dawn" is I was quite blown away. It was not something I saw coming, so my hat's off to John Gonzales there.

And then there's the story of Aloy the protagonist, and.... well, it's a story about Aloy the protagonist. It's not particularly bad, it's just quite generic and some of the story beats can be seen from a mile away. Still, to have one great narrative and one average in a single game is much more than with most games.

Oh yes! Definitely more stoked now. I did a good job over the past 2 years avoiding all essential spoilers.

You do know that forcing a developer to make certain games and marketing Killzone as the Halo killer are different things right?

I didn't say that, you simplfied the post because you're not very smart and won't admit it.

Sony has moved on to pushing Resistance, that at the start sold more than Killzone, but still wanted to try and make a succesfful mass selling FPS< and told GG to make 2 sequels. GG themselves have stated they didn't want to keep making Killzones.

You see Sony constantly on the PS3 trying to get that mass FPS hit with TP exclusives like Haze to experiments like MAG among others. Takes very little time to research, but you ikely won't.

Anyway, this thread is about Horizon doing well so yep.

fallingdove

It's a well known fact the press labeled KZ as a Halo killer. What is your source for Sony pushing GG into make a "Halo killer" game?

Maybe Voost is under the impression that because Microsoft was forcing Bungie to make Halo games - driving the subsequent separation of the companies and the creation of Destiny, that surely Sony, with it’s “Halo killer” was doing the same thing GG. (You know, to drive parity and such)

Maybe Voost is under the impression that because Microsoft was forcing Bungie to make Halo games - driving the subsequent separation of the companies and the creation of Destiny, that surely Sony, with it’s “Halo killer” was doing the same thing GG. (You know, to drive parity and such)

Gotta go the low route and ignore my above post to make this huh? Sad, well guess you aren't a person who likes honest discussions.

So back to the topic.

Imtjnotu

564847012c0cf03e55fc68db367218f1e9585bc71724858aa7295f47b9a9733230efeb45.jpg

OK wish me luck
You little shit 😂😂😂

fallingdove

I didn't say that, you simplfied the post because you're not very smart and won't admit it.

Sony has moved on to pushing Resistance, that at the start sold more than Killzone, but still wanted to try and make a succesfful mass selling FPS< and told GG to make 2 sequels. GG themselves have stated they didn't want to keep making Killzones.

You see Sony constantly on the PS3 trying to get that mass FPS hit with TP exclusives like Haze to experiments like MAG among others. Takes very little time to research, but you ikely won't.

Anyway, this thread is about Horizon doing well so yep.

You’re right, I’m not very smart, HURR DURR.

What do Resistance, Haze and MAG have to do with Killzone? Nobody is arguing about Sony going after shooters to try and compete with Halo, but now you are trying to equate games from 3 different companies to GG being forced to only make Killzone games. Your stretching.

StormCell

And then there's the story of Aloy the protagonist, and.... well, it's a story about Aloy the protagonist. It's not particularly bad, it's just quite generic and some of the story beats can be seen from a mile away. Still, to have one great narrative and one average in a single game is much more than with most games.

Oh boy, I feel you on that. The story in the past is so much more interesting, especially regarding its implications on the present story. The present story often left me a little bit underwhelmed probably because I was seeing it all play out with very little to leave to the imagination (ie. the book is almost always better than the movie). There's just so much for them to work with here, and I'm cautious to get my hopes up because the sequel can easily not live up to the original here. Just speaking strictly in terms of the narrative.

On a side note, it definitely did bug me how...
in the present narrative, some aspects of the robots are almost mystical, such as how Hades is able to be transferred around. In the closing scene, we see Hades zapped across a great distance through the air like a spirit. That clashed with my understanding of the technology we've been dealing with. Additionally, when the swarm was awakened, they were able to consume bio matter so cleanly just by zapping it, but in the past narrative there was a scene involving a swirling milkshake of dolphins getting eaten by a Horus. I expectd more spinning blades and gruesome plant destruction...

Minor nitpicks, of course. I found HZD captivating for a few weeks and even jumped straight into the DLC.

fallingdove

Gotta go the low route and ignore my above post to make this huh? Sad, well guess you aren't a person who likes honest discussions.

So back to the topic.

Not ignoring. See above.

Just really interested in you substantiating these tales from your ass. I think there is some instruction around creating plausibility in Chapter 4 of Microsoft’s Guide to Astroturfing. Check, check, check, check it out.

(this is all IMHO, naturally) I feel there are basically two narratives in HZD. They overlap at times of course, but I still find them to be quite separate. One is about "what happened?", and that's incredibly well done. There are tons of written notes and audiologs to discover into if you're so inclined (I'm not usually one for collectibles, but there's a particular set that tells a quite touching story about the "old world") - you don't have to, the story gets told along the main quest, but if you like to delve deeper into the lore it's there. But I was surprised how hard(ish) scifi it turned out to be. Personally I would have been fine with "so there are cavemen fighting robot dinosaurs, just roll with it", but when I learned what "Zero Dawn" is I was quite blown away. It was not something I saw coming, so my hat's off to John Gonzales there.

Oh yes - putting together from scraps of info what happened and made Horizon world look like it did was absolutely amazing. Also exploring cauldrons had that amazing feeling of discovering completely alien space.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Calling someone trolling for giving a fact about one of the main reason why HZD sold that much then telling to GTFO after admitting the truth :messenger_grinning_sweat:

This doesn't exist in isolated vacuum this is your entire post history and schtick. But keep it up, you'll only bury yourself again, and I'll just call you out every time you stumble into threads like a broken record oh brave warrior.

Airbus Jr

Banned
So what is the highest selling exclusive in ps4 so far?

this makes hzd in third place behind uncharted 4 and gow?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
20$ pricepoint BF deal says hi and also
Horizon: Zero Dawn (Complete) for $9.99 at GameStop
Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition is $13.39 on US PSN

There are many games that are sale on multiple platforms and they don't even manage to sell 10 million copies in 2 years.

HZD is also one of the best selling games on the PS4, which says a lot.

Airbus Jr

Banned
$9.99 price point and a few dirt cheap promotion help too.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: fact and truth are all you need

and your point is?

every other game have price drops too this is a weak argument

10 millions for a new ip and not to mention its only on one platform is big success

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
Impressive the scores of the big Sony IPs on this gen. Uncharted 4, Horizon, Spider-Man and GOW.

Last edited:

StormCell

Calling someone trolling for giving a fact about one of the main reason why HZD sold that much then telling to GTFO after admitting the truth :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But what is it you were hoping to add to this discussion with your comment? Does the aggressive pricing diminish the game in some way? Is it somehow reflective of poor quality (this is obviously false)? I was certainly less inclined to buy HZD when I did because there were a lot of other options on sale, but sale price + Sony voucher made it an easy buy. I'm certainly really glad I bought the game! It's worth full price all day long!

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
But what is it you were hoping to add to this discussion with your comment? Does the aggressive pricing diminish the game in some way? Is it somehow reflective of poor quality (this is obviously false)? I was certainly less inclined to buy HZD when I did because there were a lot of other options on sale, but sale price + Sony voucher made it an easy buy. I'm certainly really glad I bought the game!

The dude was clinging on his false hope that the game sold that high only because of price drops but keep forgetting that theres a HZD GOTY edition coming a year latter sold at full price

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
This doesn't exist in isolated vacuum this is your entire post history and schtick. But keep it up, you'll only bury yourself again, and I'll just call you out every time you stumble into threads like a broken record oh brave warrior.
Truth hurt I guess

I really didn't like this game much. I'm happy to see it doing well, but man I really hope they change a lot of the gameplay loop for the sequel.

Aren117

One of the most beautiful console games I've played this gen (on par with The Order 1886)

Wish I hadn't played Breath of the Wild before this, because the gameplay was so shallow compared to what you could do in BotW.

woigemok

Banned
You can count on your fingers how many other exclusive games on other platform that can reach 10 m even with price drops included
PS4 exclusive this generation that reaches 10M after more than 6 years on the market
1. HZD = 10m

Switch not even 2 years on the market
1. MK8D - 15m
2. SMO - 13m
3. SBU - 12m
4. BOTW(switch) 11m
5. Poke Let's GO 10m

The potential 10m seller on the switch this year
Splatoon 2
SMP
NSMBU
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Animal Crossing Switch
MM2

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Airbus Jr

Banned
PS4 exclusive this generation that reaches 10M after more than 6 years on the market
1. HZD = 10m

1. MK8D - 15m
2. SMO - 13m
3. SBU - 12m
4. BOTW(switch) 11m
5. Poke Let's GO 10m

Splatoon 2
SMP
NSMBU
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Animal Crossing Switch
MM2

Youre lying

HZD isnt the only sony exclusives that reach over 10 milion this generation

but looking at your history post your not exactly a ps fans either arent you?

Last edited:

FranXico

You know, you can make a sales milestone post without injecting subjective opinion into the OP setting a tone of the thread. You can use a separate post for your opinion.
I think opinion (presented as such) in the OP is a good way to start the conversation. I don't see any problem with that.

StormCell

1. HZD = 10m

1. MK8D - 15m
2. SMO - 13m
3. SBU - 12m
4. BOTW(switch) 11m
5. Poke Let's GO 10m

Splatoon 2
SMP
NSMBU
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Animal Crossing Switch
MM2

Okay, dude... Horizon Zero Dawn was a brand new original IP. None of the games you are listing for Switch are brand new original IP. Go find the brand new original IP that sold over 10+ million.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think opinion (presented as such) in the OP is a good way to start the conversation. I don't see any problem with that.

The topic at hand can stand on its own merit. It doesn't need a subjective and unsubstantiated nudge for people to argue over.

A post can be made within the thread to see if it's important enough for that meta.

Last edited:

nowhat

On a side note, it definitely did bug me how...
in the present narrative, some aspects of the robots are almost mystical, such as how Hades is able to be transferred around. In the closing scene, we see Hades zapped across a great distance through the air like a spirit. That clashed with my understanding of the technology we've been dealing with. Additionally, when the swarm was awakened, they were able to consume bio matter so cleanly just by zapping it, but in the past narrative there was a scene involving a swirling milkshake of dolphins getting eaten by a Horus. I expectd more spinning blades and gruesome plant destruction...
I get what you're after, but I'm willing to give it a pass for artistic license. For example, how Corruptors take over other machines - in "reality" there probably wouldn't be a need for flashy red colours. But it makes sense as a game mechanic (easy to distinguish corrupted machines) - and it looks cool.

As to Hades at the end, I'd take that "zapping" as more of a metaphor. But (and this is just my own theory, based purely on speculation) what happened can actually make sense. Remember, it was Sylens' lance that Aloy used to eventually take down Hades. He's clearly on a whole different level in his understanding of technology compared to Aloy. So my theory is, he rigged the lance to get his "pet" back and under control again. We've already established in the game world that the Focus devices can function over vast distances, so having an AI transported over vast distances as well isn't that outlandish.

StormCell

I get what you're after, but I'm willing to give it a pass for artistic license. For example, how Corruptors take over other machines - in "reality" there probably wouldn't be a need for flashy red colours. But it makes sense as a game mechanic (easy to distinguish corrupted machines) - and it looks cool.

As to Hades at the end, I'd take that "zapping" as more of a metaphor. But (and this is just my own theory, based purely on speculation) what happened can actually make sense. Remember, it was Sylens' lance that Aloy used to eventually take down Hades. He's clearly on a whole different level in his understanding of technology compared to Aloy. So my theory is, he rigged the lance to get his "pet" back and under control again. We've already established in the game world that the Focus devices can function over vast distances, so having an AI transported over vast distances as well isn't that outlandish.

I agree with you. Some of that has to be chalked up to metaphor and artistic choice.

Paasei

Had great fun with this game. Even went as far as getting the platinum trophy, which is something I only care about with games I really did/do enjoy.
I have yet to play the DLC, though. Might actually start it this weekend.

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

Impressive the scores of the big Sony IPs on this gen. Uncharted 4, Horizon, Spider-Man and GOW.
helps that all of them were game of the year contenders or even won it! Really great games..

Microsoft unfortunately cant seem to produce such good games..

nowhat

I have yet to play the DLC, though. Might actually start it this weekend.
Do it! It's really quite meaty, you can easily spend 10 hours on the main story (especially on harder difficulties) and then there's that open-world fluff if you want to grind it out.

Just a friendly reminder, the initial recommended level is 30. So you may be tempted to load an earlier save (apparently story-wise, as it relates to the main game, it would make more sense before endgame). But that level recommendation is like way off, I'd say level 40+ is more reasonable. It really ramps up the difficulty considerably.

Top Bottom