• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn sells 10 million copies WorldWide! 2 Year anniversary. (PS4, Killzone Devs)

bitbydeath

It's a well known fact that Sony pushed GG into Killzone originally as the Halo Killer, this isn't a new thing. Just because you're ignorant of it doesn't mean it never happened.

Nah, you could see how much love went into the first three games for it to be forced on them. The last would have been forced to meet PS4’s release though.

Congrats on the milestone. I really liked HZD but haven't played the DLC yet. I should do that at some point, maybe when I replay the game before the 2nd comes out

Then show me the concrete number from Sony :messenger_sunglasses:
Is there any non-nintendo thread when you doesn't sound bitter? Every time I read your post it seems like someone from sony took shit in your cereal, lol

5OAq8GL.png

inb4 triggered by facts blah blah yada yada

Klayzer

uh spiderman, uncharted 4 gow?

but it kinda useless talking to a guy who constantly trash sony like you

you seems...rather upset...with horizon zero doawn success...
Why is everybody responding to an obvious troll derail. Let that salty troll waddle in his own depression. Can't you see he's hurting inside.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Never got to finish this one. I played it to the point that I got the full son on all the trials only to find out that the weapons I were marginally inferior. Destroyed any motivation to finish the game. The story was meh, and I could only fight robot dinosaurs for so long before it got boring. I feel like I played through the game wrong. I was good enough to do the harder challenges without a lot of upgrades because a lot of the challenges could be done if you were creative enough.

I should probably pick the game up again, sure it's pretty cheap now.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Good look for SONY and GG. I believe they will make a sequel and possibly revive Killzone at some point.

i cant sit and listen to all the killzone bashing. i hate when people do this thing like the same thing that happened with batman begins and try to act like because the latest thing that was done was great everything else they did up to that point is garbage. killzone is a good series. i wouldnt say great but i had fun with it

Fox Mulder

it was great. Had a neat world and take on a post apocalyptic back story. The combat is fluid and has good variety in how you can use all the weapons.

I just wrapped up the platinum the other night, can't wait for a sequel.

Last edited:

Halo0629

Nice! One of my fav ps4 games. I do hope they just go full blown rpg on the sequel and also for freaking god sakes tweak the dumb robot ai.

Paasei

Do it! It's really quite meaty, you can easily spend 10 hours on the main story (especially on harder difficulties) and then there's that open-world fluff if you want to grind it out.

Just a friendly reminder, the initial recommended level is 30. So you may be tempted to load an earlier save (apparently story-wise, as it relates to the main game, it would make more sense before endgame). But that level recommendation is like way off, I'd say level 40+ is more reasonable. It really ramps up the difficulty considerably.
Started new game+ yesterday. Just got off the first island again starting the odyssey.

Gotta find out about the best time to start with the DLC.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Such a great game. I actually bought two copies -- the regular vanilla version and the collector's edition which I still have unopened.

nowhat

Gotta find out abiut the best time to start the DLC.
Apparently after
"The Mountain That Fell"
would be good story-wise. But really, the only difference you'll get is slightly different conversations with a certain character central to the main story (but only within the DLC, not in the main story), so in the grand scheme of things, especially since you're on NG+ - whenever you're able to unlock it, go to town.

Mr Hyde

Bought the complete Edition and loved every minute of it. The story and world building was great, and the graphics and art direction really elevated the atmosphere and immersive nature of the game. My only criticism is the weak and forgettable characters outside of Aloy, who was the only memorable character. Maybe Rost too, but he disappeared rather quickly.

Frozen Wild was an excellent expansion which I probably enjoyed more than the core game. It was beautiful, had interesting lore connected to it, some really fun weapons and cool combat. The remote and snowy area made for a thrilling side adventure which expanded upon the base story. I believe this course of action is the best when it comes to DLC. Solid expansions that are more than worth of your time and money. As it stands, I think Guerilla and From Software has done it best when it comes to expansions, they seem to get the idea of what makes a compelling DLC to draw players back into the game.

I look forward to a sequel and based on these numbers it´s safe to say that Horizon will be Sonys next main staple IP, and Guerilla will most likely be firing on all cylinders when they follow up Aloys new adventure.

Shmunter

Must’ve been all the SJW’s that bought it because gamers are toxic misogynists that can’t accept women in gaming.

Just goes to show how flimsy the whole Woke agenda is. Nothing more than victimhood culture propelling it self. A masterclass gaming product gets sales, simple as that, gender irrelevant.

MDSLKTR

i enjoyed everything in the game except the story ! which was predictable from the beginning
Really? I tought it was anything but predictable. I was glued to my screen once the revelations started pouring out. Biggest surprise for me.

Cleared_Hot

(this is all IMHO, naturally) I feel there are basically two narratives in HZD. They overlap at times of course, but I still find them to be quite separate. One is about "what happened?", and that's incredibly well done. There are tons of written notes and audiologs to discover into if you're so inclined (I'm not usually one for collectibles, but there's a particular set that tells a quite touching story about the "old world") - you don't have to, the story gets told along the main quest, but if you like to delve deeper into the lore it's there. But I was surprised how hard(ish) scifi it turned out to be. Personally I would have been fine with "so there are cavemen fighting robot dinosaurs, just roll with it", but when I learned what "Zero Dawn" is I was quite blown away. It was not something I saw coming, so my hat's off to John Gonzales there.

And then there's the story of Aloy the protagonist, and.... well, it's a story about Aloy the protagonist. It's not particularly bad, it's just quite generic and some of the story beats can be seen from a mile away. Still, to have one great narrative and one average in a single game is much more than with most games.

Still will never understand internet forums obsessions with saying IMO or IMHO all the time. It's the most pointless thing you can say and it sounds like an apology for stating your own opinion. We already know it's your opinion. Want to know how? BECAUSE YOU ARE SAYING IT.

nowhat

Still will never understand internet forums obsessions with saying IMO or IMHO all the time. It's the most pointless thing you can say and it sounds like an apology for stating your own opinion. We already know it's your opinion. Want to know how? BECAUSE YOU ARE SAYING IT.
On a personal level, it's because many forum commenters seem to state what they are saying as an objective fact - which it seldom, if ever, is.

But I'm glad I gave you an opportunity to vent.

thelastword

Banned
It's a well known fact that Sony pushed GG into Killzone originally as the Halo Killer, this isn't a new thing. Just because you're ignorant of it doesn't mean it never happened.
Where is the confirmation of that, how are you proving that....I had the game magazine with the first Killzone shots, they looked amazing and the press were deeply impressed by the visuals, with it's color palette and war torn environments, they deemed it the Halo Killer....It was the press who pushed that angle, not Sony....

As for Halo Killer, why even bring that up......I'd take Killzone 2 over any Halo game, KZ2 and Resistance 3 were the best FPS of last generation, by a good bit too..

I didn't say that, you simplfied the post because you're not very smart and won't admit it.

Sony has moved on to pushing Resistance, that at the start sold more than Killzone, but still wanted to try and make a succesfful mass selling FPS< and told GG to make 2 sequels. GG themselves have stated they didn't want to keep making Killzones.

You see Sony constantly on the PS3 trying to get that mass FPS hit with TP exclusives like Haze to experiments like MAG among others. Takes very little time to research, but you ikely won't.

Anyway, this thread is about Horizon doing well so yep.
Yes Haze wa a failure but MAG was a success......Was MAG supposed to be a Halo killer as well? As for the bolded, could you please corroborate that statement...That Guerilla publically stated that did'nt want to make Killzone anymore....When we have this...

https://wccftech.com/guerrilla-future-killzone-early/

And when it's heavy in the rumormill that a new Killzone is being worked on at one of Guerilla Studios...

nowhat

fingers crossed for a sequel
I think it's pretty much given we'll get a sequel. My fingers are crossed for a PS5 launch title or thereabouts. That may seem like a tall order, but while development of HZD took many years, most of it was spent on concepting and engine/tools with a limited team, Guerrilla really went all in with HZD only for a couple of years. Now that Decima is a thing and there's a solid foundation to build on, development should/could be much faster. Especially since they've been on a hiring spree and have (or will have, I'm not sure if they've relocated yet) a mocap studio of their own in-house.

(then again, it's entirely possible the staff expansion is for a second project)

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I enjoyed my time with it and getting the platinum, but really it was just another Far Cry with most of the fat cut off. I found Aloy to be a bit of a cunty, unlikeable character (Burch’s delivery was stale as hell) and the lack of a legit final boss was really disappointing. I just get finished fighting waves of bullshit and my final battle is one more wave of bullshit? Nice.

Frozen Wilds was pretty good.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Solid game for me (85-89 range for me), but I definitely don't want a complete cut&paste sequel - kind felt like I was done with it. It needs more for me to really get interested in a sequel. There are some things I would mark down for the game, I felt like the art design of the large settlements with ancient Egyptian design to be very bad, the character designs for NPC and the narrative scripts were corny in large parts of the game. Solid good game, great combat, just feel like they need to get better in some areas - solid/good but not great for me.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Can't wait to see a sequel. I was hoping for one before the end of this gen, but it seems that may not happen (considering how close we are to next gen).

Orenji Neko

As for Halo Killer, why even bring that up......I'd take Killzone 2 over any Halo game, KZ2 and Resistance 3 were the best FPS of last generation, by a good bit too..

FPS, on a console, the "best of the generation"?

Uh-huh, sure. In your haste to attack an FPS on another console, you have offered up two more console shooters: one that is 720p with a variable framerate, and another which is sub HD, upscaled, and not 60fps; both controlled with analog sticks: similar to the one you attacked.

That's hilarious, pointless, and subject to opinion outside factual technical shortcomings on both sides, but such is the glory of the console wars, right? I'm sure you'll have some more comparisons of fluctuating framerate attempts at 4k
(or pretend 4k) to obsess over soon enough.

Anyway, on topic, it's good to see a developer try something different, put what appears to be a lot of work and care in, and see the benefits.

Regardless of your preffered platform, this is good for the industry: new IPs can do well with effort, and clearly a female lead isn't affected by the phantom misogyny boogeymen gamers I keep hearing about. Seems they don't exist in the capacity that the other forum, and several game media outlets, would have you believe as they decry female characters that they don't like (Dead or Alive, etc).

Congrats to the developer on a job well done and a success well earned; I have no attention to PlayStation and even I have heard of this game.

thelastword

Banned
ANOTHER Playstation exclusive that sells more than halo and gears combined, another...wow.
I guess it just goes to show that you have to invest in new IP's or change the formula for your existing ones........Not just changing them, but ensuring that the new direction or IP is of high quality....That's why Horizon and GOW saw so much success...

I can say the same of GTS, it's good that they changed the formula....It may not have the high score or the numbers of a GT3, but the quality of what it brings to the table is excellent and what it was marked down for (content).....has been improved tremendously.......It's at least great to see devs or Sony encouraging devs to try new things and stick to their vision and supporting them throughout......

Top Bottom