• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn SPOILERS Thread

No, that was not revealed in any way or form. A very important point in that signal was the fact that it made all the sub-functions go rogue, not just Hades, which is a key factor in the whole Derangement business. That part is completely independent of Hades.

I wonder if this is something pulled by Ted Faro ? I don't know about the exact date of the accident but I expect everything from that SoB

wapplew

I think we'll be activating GAIA in the sequel. I don't think it'll be as easy as flipping a switch. Makes me wonder what it's going to take to re-activate her?

Gaia shall never be fix. Fixed Gaia=No more aggressive machines to fight=No more Horizon sequel.

Baalzebup

So, speculation time. Gaia was taken offline by the combination of an AI-attack/virus/whatever that also made all the sub-routines go rogue, resulting in at least Hephaestus starting to make the bot-lifeforms both armed and more aggressive and Hades deciding that now would be a good time to kill everything all over again, and some very notable physical damage on the installation due to something being smashed on the complex from above.

Such a signal would require someone who is up to date with the computer and AI tech. Such physical damage would essentially demand either very advanced weaponry, or dropping something of decent density from the orbit. There was also the satellite in the Banuk camp that had a calming effect on the machine lifeforms. I'd say it is pretty safe to say that some part of the Odysseus expedition did survive their catastrophic failure of their departure attempt from the solar system and are up to no good for whatever reason. Could be a bunch of "advanced" humans who don't like the "primitives" down there or the somehow gone rogue Alpha version of Apollo taking matters on its own hands due to whatever reason.

One thing I dont get is... the people from eleuthia were let go once they ran out of food from the facility. They went out and started populating the earth. Im okay with that. But then Gaia destroyed herself and Hades, created Elizabeth Sobeck clone (Aloy) as her last act.

How did Aloy get out of the facility?.. the doors were jammed, no one could get in except for Elizabeth Sobeck but even then the registry was corrupted, how did they get the infant Aloy out in the world.. I mean where did the matriarchs find her? None of them had entered the bunker.
There were robots in there, every hologram you see in all mother is from a body of a humanoid robot if you look on the floor. I imagine one of those that was still operable would have taken her out.

Kiraly

Wasn't Aloy like 350,000 into the future? I remember that her appointment with Ted Faro was that kinda late.

But GAIA only exploded 19 years ago?

Baalzebup

Wasn't Aloy like 350,000 into the future? I remember that her appointment with Ted Faro was that kinda late.

Yes? Elizabeths meeting with Faro was during the Old Ones time (the number given was days or hours) and Gaias demise was a relatively recent event as it coincides with Aloy being created to try and help solve the issue.

Kiraly

Yes? Elizabeths meeting with Faro was during the Old Ones time (the number given was days or hours) and Gaias demise was a relatively recent event as it coincides with Aloy being created to try and help solve the issue.

Were machines and humans living peacefully before?

Salamando

Was there any info in-game regarding why Gaia activated the Denver cradle when she did? Were I a kind of god-AI, I'd want the ecosystem fully reconstituted with animals and such before I even think of calling up humanity. And then the first thing I do is purge the Hades subroutine. If there's a chance you'll need the "murder everything" option, don't deploy humans!

(Yes, I know if Gaia did this, then there's no need for a game)

shiba5

But there were no robots when we got in at the end. I mean, I didnt even see any dead robots. Unless there was a machine that dished her out of the door when everyone was sleeping.

There's a log in the area where you watch the GAIA message that shows the system waking up a servitor to fix some of the gestation machinery and take baby Aloy out the hatch. It then puts the servitor back in stasis.

Zackat

Was there any info in-game regarding why Gaia activated the Denver cradle when she did? Were I a kind of god-AI, I'd want the ecosystem fully reconstituted with animals and such before I even think of calling up humanity. And then the first thing I do is purge the Hades subroutine. If there's a chance you'll need the "murder everything" option, don't deploy humans!

Maybe she didn't know Apollo was gone? That's the only reason I can think.

shiba5

No, it's 900-1000 years in the future. GAIA starts repopulating the Earth around 300 years after ZD.

yeah, I've wondered about the other cradles scattered all around the world. wonder what happened to them?

I don't think she could just purge Hades. We don't know how many times Hades has properly activated in the past. If she could truly do that she could've done it anytime in the past 1000 years.

The only reason Hades is fucked up is because of the signal or whatever. Which in turn fucked everything else over.

Gaia is incapable of purging Hades. I believe one of the logs stated that when Hades is functioning, Gaia is isolated in a sort of sandbox to stop any and all interference with the Hades subroutine.

Testing showed that without that safeguard in place, Gaia would meddle in the background while Hades was doing his thing and that conflicted with the parameters that Hades was tasked with carrying out.

No, that was not revealed in any way or form. A very important point in that signal was the fact that it made all the sub-functions go rogue, not just Hades, which is a key factor in the whole Derangement business. That part is completely independent of Hades.
Yep. However, another important piece to remember is that Hades was the only sub-routine that was built with the ability to take control of Gaia. However, Hades protocols with Gaia keep it in check. Once it is corrupted, it no longer cares about the balance it shares with Gaia, and begins to take control out-of-turn like Travis worked so hard to avoid in his coding.

So, speculation time. Gaia was taken offline by the combination of an AI-attack/virus/whatever that also made all the sub-routines go rogue, resulting in at least Hephaestus starting to make the bot-lifeforms both armed and more aggressive and Hades deciding that now would be a good time to kill everything all over again, and some very notable physical damage on the installation due to something being smashed on the complex from above.
Yeah. Gaia warns that everything will go chaotic without her. Each sub-routine will continue to operate without her, but independent of one another. Before the corruption, Hephaestus would work as a part of Gaia to know it should build this or that, but without Gaia it completely runs on its own without an understanding of the other pieces. That's why it eventually starts building weapons on it's machines, because it can't coordinate with Gaia---it perceives other functions of Gaia, including the humans, as a threat.

I think as far as Gaia was concerned, Earth was habitable enough. At Zero Dawn, no human could even go outside without a suit on to breathe. When 300 years had passed and humans were let out due to shortage of food, the Earth's biosphere had been repaired by quite a massive amount already (I would consider) since they could go outside without a suit, animals existed, and machines were peacefully fixing things up still. As for purging Hades...yeah. The Hades sub-routine altogether doesn't make much sense to me in terms of being made....I'm with you that if I were Gaia, and I see things have gone well, humans can breathe, life is growing, I would wipe Hades out. However, I doubt Gaia could for some reason.

Gaia is incapable of purging Hades. I believe one of the logs stated that when Hades is functioning, Gaia is isolated in a sort of sandbox to stop any and all interference with the Hades subroutine.

Testing showed that without that safeguard in place, Gaia would meddle in the background while Hades was doing his thing and that conflicted with the parameters that Hades was tasked with carrying out.
When Hades was running, yeah. Gaia was kept on the backburner. Hades had to be properly programmed to hand control back to Gaia when it completed it's task. What I loved is that Travis said some versions of Hades were too weak, and Gaia would pretend it wasn't in control, but was secretly manipulating things behind-the-scenes like you mention. That's a pretty damn smart AI. However, I think what Salamando is asking is why Gaia didn't purge Hades when Hades wasn't in control at all. When Gaia was running things, and could see life was growing properly, why not delete it then?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hmm would of been interesting that instead of blowing up it would have become inert in space due to some other malfunction yet the computer system would still work.
I was thinking you could make a whole sequel about the "space humans" in the far future. It would give you an excuse to create all new alien and robot designs and have a completely different world entirely.

And if you actually wanted to make a trilogy, because all stories have to be trilogies now, then you could have the Earth humans meet the Space humans at some point in the far future and be able to create new enemies as well.

----

Speaking of the twist at the end, I hope it doens't turn out that there's a Faro clone who is trying to destroy humanity because he was taught what the original Ted Faro wanted.

Last thing I would want to see is an Aloy vs Faro-clone fight and having them lazily parallel it to their original conflict. lol

LiK

HADES survived so I guess we'll see a sequel of some sort. I hope we get to go into other parts of the world.

iMax

HADES isn't inherently bad. It got corrupted by the signal—that was the enemy.

Yep. However, another important piece to remember is that Hades was the only sub-routine that was built with the ability to take control of Gaia. However, Hades protocols with Gaia keep it in check. Once it is corrupted, it no longer cares about the balance it shares with Gaia, and begins to take control out-of-turn like Travis worked so hard to avoid in his coding.

Yeah. Gaia warns that everything will go chaotic without her. Each sub-routine will continue to operate without her, but independent of one another. Before the corruption, Hephaestus would work as a part of Gaia to know it should build this or that, but without Gaia it completely runs on its own without an understanding of the other pieces. That's why it eventually starts building weapons on it's machines, because it can't coordinate with Gaia---it perceives other functions of Gaia, including the humans, as a threat.

I think as far as Gaia was concerned, Earth was habitable enough. At Zero Dawn, no human could even go outside without a suit on to breathe. When 300 years had passed and humans were let out due to shortage of food, the Earth's biosphere had been repaired by quite a massive amount already (I would consider) since they could go outside without a suit, animals existed, and machines were peacefully fixing things up still. As for purging Hades...yeah. The Hades sub-routine altogether doesn't make much sense to me in terms of being made....I'm with you that if I were Gaia, and I see things have gone well, humans can breathe, life is growing, I would wipe Hades out. However, I doubt Gaia could for some reason.

When Hades was running, yeah. Gaia was kept on the backburner. Hades had to be properly programmed to hand control back to Gaia when it completed it's task. What I loved is that Travis said some versions of Hades were too weak, and Gaia would pretend it wasn't in control, but was secretly manipulating things behind-the-scenes like you mention. That's a pretty damn smart AI. However, I think what Salamando is asking is why Gaia didn't purge Hades when Hades wasn't in control at all. When Gaia was running things, and could see life was growing properly, why not delete it then?

Ah, I just assumed that there was a similar mechanism in place, either via teaching or programing to stop Gaia from purging subroutines.

I think Sylens will be the main villain in Horizon 2 and I think we will see some version of Ted in Horizon 3.

Fuck Sylens
Fuck Ted

I'm glad Rost had a cool background story. Sounds like a major BAMF

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't see Sylens as a villain necessarily - he seems more like Prometheus, trying to "steal fire" from the gods.

I really do hope they avoid making a Faro clone, or a Faro AI though. Well, maybe it'd be interesting if you played as a Faro clone and had to come to terms with what your "father" did.

I think Sylens will be the main villain in Horizon 2 and I think we will see some version of Ted in Horizon 3.

Fuck Sylens
Fuck Ted

I'm glad Rost had a cool background story. Sounds like a major BAMF

Obviously Sylens had his own interests in mind the entire time, but I kind of get the feeling that he is a neutral character. He doesn't really see Aloy as a threat. He is just thirsty for knowledge.

I don't see Sylens as a villain necessarily - he seems more like Prometheus, trying to "steal fire" from the gods.

I really do hope they avoid making a Faro clone, or a Faro AI though. Well, maybe it'd be interesting if you played as a Faro clone and had to come to terms with what your "father" did.
I agree about Faro. I personally really love his arc in the game, and I don't want any future games to shed more light on him. This game left enough blank in the right spots to allow us our own interpretations, and I'd hate to have those interpretations taken away in future iterations from a clone or anything like it telling us "Ted thought this" or "Ted did this because of that" etc.

Obviously Sylens had his own interests in mind the entire time, but I kind of get the feeling that he is a neutral character. He doesn't really see Aloy as a threat. He is just thirsty for knowledge.
I think you nailed it saying he is thirsty for knowledge. In a way, Sylens represents exactly what Ted wanted to avoid. Knowledge is a disease, and this disease is physically represented in Sylens design by the circuitry/whatever throughout his body. Sylens is a man obsessed with knowledge, and he is going down a dangerous path, repeating Ted's mistake. Ted's mistake that he tried his best to avoid for future generations by wiping Apollo. It brings up the question: would someone like Sylens have been better off with the knowledge of Apollo? Or is someone like that doomed to never be satisfied?

Jubbly

Great game, just finished it with all but the practice dummy trophy. Got most of the logs and other text as I went through, but missed a few.

In any of them was the eventual fate of Elysium and its residents revealed?

Also I feel like I stumbled upon Lis on a couch when I was just walking through the game before. I remember seeing a couch and I thought I saw someone dead and armored.

Is there any chance Apollo can be salvaged or is it gone for good based on everything we can infer about the story?

Also I hope in the next Horizon game we can go to the other lands outside of Carja and Nora land.

Also I feel like I stumbled upon Lis on a couch when I was just walking through the game before. I remember seeing a couch and I thought I saw someone dead and armored.

Is there any chance Apollo can be salvaged or is it gone for good based on everything we can infer about the story?

Also I hope in the next Horizon game we can go to the other lands outside of Carja and Nora land.

Maybe it was something else you saw on a couch although I never saw any couch in the open world, but the game is set in Colorado/Utah area and Elisabeth lived in Nevada so Aloy was making her way west maybe Horizon 2 will be set in California? Either way can't wait.

I think you nailed it saying he is thirsty for knowledge. In a way, Sylens represents exactly what Ted wanted to avoid. Knowledge is a disease, and this disease is physically represented in Sylens design by the circuitry/whatever throughout his body. Sylens is a man obsessed with knowledge, and he is going down a dangerous path, repeating Ted's mistake. Ted's mistake that he tried his best to avoid for future generations by wiping Apollo. It brings up the question: would someone like Sylens have been better off with the knowledge of Apollo? Or is someone like that doomed to never be satisfied?

Oh man. What a good question. What would Sylens have done with the knowledge from Apollo? Would he have just gloated and basked in it for no other reason than to learn, or would he use it in a way to manipulate certain things to reach what ever his goal is?

On that note, in a perfect world where Apollo wasn't destroyed and HADES wasn't corrupted, what did the Zero Dawn team hope to happen with the future of humanity? Would humans just basically pick up right where we left of?

Salamando

HADES isn't inherently bad. It got corrupted by the signal—that was the enemy.
Oh, I fully recognize that. I just don't think a fully functional Hades existing at the same time as humanity sounds like a good idea. These cradles seem to have a finite amount of resources; there's no logic in wasting the life if there's still a possibility of needing the reset.

If the subroutine can't be purged, then I guess the question becomes how long is Gaia stated to run for? Having a doomsday machine shadowing humanity is just a bad idea.
Maybe she didn't know Apollo was gone? That's the only reason I can think.
If anything I think her actions would make more sense if she knew Apollo wasn't there. Apollo was likely responsible for teaching humans basic survival skills...how to build homes, how to find food, and so on. Knowing that humanity would lack these skills, Gaia decided better to release them into the wild without any natural predators. Let humanity establish themselves, then introduce bears and shit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh man. What a good question. What would Sylens have done with the knowledge from Apollo? Would he have just gloated and basked in it for no other reason than to learn, or would he use it in a way to manipulate certain things to reach what ever his goal is?

On that note, in a perfect world where Apollo wasn't destroyed and HADES wasn't corrupted, what did the Zero Dawn team hope to happen with the future of humanity? Would humans just basically pick up right where we left of?
That was the point though, to preserve human knowledge and pass it on but to ensure that they don't make the same mistake. The fact that they even tried sending a ship into space as a "back up" plan to Zero Dawn was an attempt to do that.

It's a bit sad to think that in this future, the Voyager probe is basically the only record of humanity that exists.

I agree about Faro. I personally really love his arc in the game, and I don't want any future games to shed more light on him. This game left enough blank in the right spots to allow us our own interpretations, and I'd hate to have those interpretations taken away in future iterations from a clone or anything like it telling us "Ted thought this" or "Ted did this because of that" etc.
Faro as a douchebag martyr feels so right to me. He's basically the tech billionaire who thinks he's smarter than everyone and justifies his actions by pointing to his previous successes. Basically Elon Musk. lol

shiba5

There were a few other armored corpses around and they wear the same type of armor as Lis.

shiba5

If anything I think her actions would make more sense if she knew Apollo wasn't there. Apollo was likely responsible for teaching humans basic survival skills...how to build homes, how to find food, and so on. Knowing that humanity would lack these skills, Gaia decided better to release them into the wild without any natural predators. Let humanity establish themselves, then introduce bears and shit.

That was my take on it too.
Although, I've been trying to figure out what beast the fur Rost was wearing was from. It looks like bear.

Man I don't really want to wait around another 3 years to get back into this world. 😩
Ughhhhhhh. It's probably going to be longer than that :(

lalalala.gif

zulux21

Technically, going by the vantage named locations, and a mention of Bryce, Utah by Gen. Herres, the in game map is basically the middle of Utah to just east of Denver, with the Grand Canyon/Arizona/New Mexico in the lower left corner. So, it's a game shrunked version of 3-4 large western states.

fair enough, but 3-4 large western states is still much smaller than the whole world :p

just saying there is a lot of stuff we don't know about.

Ughhhhhhh. It's probably going to be longer than that :(

nah 3-4 years makes sense if it is a direct sequel.

i mean the procedural generated a lot of the map.... creating that system was likely a time consuming thing but it will greatly speed up creating future maps.
same with the tech to make the characters ect.

plus given the success they will likely have a bigger budget which should help speed things up so it won't take 6 years again.

the game is set in Colorado/Utah area and Elisabeth lived in Nevada so Aloy was making her way west maybe Horizon 2 will be set in California? Either way can't wait.

There's a lot of talk about the Forbidden West and, as you said, Aloy went as far as Carson City. There's something about a battle where they defeated a Horus Unit on the Western Front, IIRC, so I'm guessing California was probably a major battle zone, what would justify it being "forbidden". It would be cool to visit post-post-apocalyptic San Francisco and Los Angeles. Maybe it could extend a bit north to get some of the cool northwestern forests.

Faro as a douchebag martyr feels so right to me. He's basically the tech billionaire who thinks he's smarter than everyone and justifies his actions by pointing to his previous successes. Basically Elon Musk. lol

He reads a lot like a Musk + Zuckerberg + Page hybrid, to me.

I couldn't imagine being a solider from the old world having to face off against thousands of these machines while they're eating everything around you.

All the while thinking Zero dawn was gonna save you. And that help never came. So tragic.

I couldn't imagine being a solider from the old world having to face off against thousands of these machines while they're eating everything around you.

All the while thinking Zero dawn was gonna save you. And that help never came. So tragic.

Same. Those audio logs were incredibly powerful and grim at the same time.

And yeah I am very curious about the "Forbidden West". Would be amazing if that was the setting for the sequel.

But isn't that what is happening in the present? Soldiers risking their lives fighting wars in other countries, being made to believe that they are safeguarding things at home...

Don't want too digress into politics but the stuff in Zero Dawn isn't as far fetched as some may think.

Top Bottom