• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn SPOILERS Thread

But isn't that what is happening in the present? Soldiers risking their lives fighting wars in other countries, being made to believe that they are safeguarding things at home...

Don't want too digress into politics but the stuff in Zero Dawn isn't as far fetched as some may think.
Well the difference here is there's no god damn robotic apocalypse going on. Millions of people aren't throwing themselves into killing fields being eaten alive in hope of a super weapon stopping the end of the world. The difference is to much imo.

Well the difference here is there's no god damn robotic apocalypse going on. Millions of people aren't throwing themselves into killing fields being eaten alive in hope of a super weapon stopping the end of the world. The difference is to much imo.

True but the way things are, humans are going to end up destroying the world without the need of a robotic apocalypse.

Back to topic, is there a list or guide for all the data points in the open world? I'm missing a bunch of text datapoints from the open world and would like to get all of them.

It wasn't just soldiers that fought right? It was basically anyone capable of fighting = so basically all of population except children, old folk, and others that aren't able.
I imagine it was like Edge of Darkness....

But isn't that what is happening in the present? Soldiers risking their lives fighting wars in other countries, being made to believe that they are safeguarding things at home...

Don't want too digress into politics but the stuff in Zero Dawn isn't as far fetched as some may think.

While you're correct, I think the main difference is the fact that with Operation: Enduring Victory, there was no chance for survival. Period. There was no hope, and the military knew this. Despite all of this, they led a propaganda technique that lied to the people, making them believe Project Zero Dawn was a massive super-weapon to destroy the Faro Plague. Which obviously we know to not be the case. Humanity was nearly wiped out due to this.

But to your point I think it's awesome that GG was even able to tie together current events of our present to their fictional story of the futute. Yet another reason why I love the story in this game.

It wasn't just soldier that fought right? It was basically anyone capable of fighting = so basically all of population except children, old folk, and others that aren't able.
I imagine it was like Edge of Darkness....
Basically yes.

Anyone who survived the ending onslaught and hid. Would've died from suffocation if they were on the surface.

I wonder how Elizabeth died. Did it say? I'm assuming she just ran out of clean air in her suit. She did have quite a ways to go.

Basically yes.

Anyone who survived the ending onslaught and hid. Would've died from suffocation if they were on the surface.

I wonder how Elizabeth died. Did it say? I'm assuming she just ran out of clean air in her suit. She did have quite a ways to go.

Suit malfunction or as you said, ran out of air...her 'grave' was peaceful so I imagine the machines did not hurt her.

While you're correct, I think the main difference is the fact that with Operation: Enduring Victory, there was no chance for survival. Period. There was no hope, and the military knew this. Despite all of this, they led a propaganda technique that lied to the people, making them believe Project Zero Dawn was a massive super-weapon to destroy the Faro Plague. Which obviously we know to not be the case. Humanity was nearly wiped out due to this.

But to your point I think it's awesome that GG was even able to tie together current events of our present to their fictional story of the futute. Yet another reason why I love the story in this game.

The game also tackles racism and religion very well. Without Apollo, humanity couldn't have known what horrors those two had led to, and I believe that is also part of what Ted didn't want preserved for the next generation.

One thing I really appreciated was that the dialog choices didn't compromise Aloy's personality. One moment where this was apparent was just before killing Helis, you are given the usual confront/insight/compassion choice. I chose compassion, but Aloy was still pissed, and ultimately didn't spare his life. She just allowed him to have an honorable death (allowing him to face the sun).

A lot of games, when giving the player an option to "do the right thing" or "bad thing", can be kind of jarring because the tone can suddenly change mid-conversation. With Aloy, her tone is consistent throughout a conversation no matter which option you coose.

I thought it was pretty interesting how Aloy's focus actually revealed Elisabet's preserved face.

That last scene though. Very touching.
I was half expecting her eyes to open

One thing I really appreciated was that the dialog choices didn't compromise Aloy's personality. One moment where this was apparent was just before killing Helis, you are given the usual confront/insight/compassion choice. I chose compassion, but Aloy was still pissed, and ultimately didn't spare his life. She just allowed him to have an honorable death (allowing him to face the sun).

A lot of games, when giving the player an option to "do the right thing" or "bad thing", can be kind of jarring because the tone can suddenly change mid-conversation. With Aloy, her tone is consistent throughout a conversation no matter which option you coose.
Agreed, I had chosen that scene as well. It's makes it more impactful if you read his backstory.

Why is the West forbidden?

Also did anyone else notice if you don't kill Nil for his sidequest he ends up fighting within Meridian near the end?

Sai-kun

Banned
I didn't kill him cuz you need him for the All Allies Joined trophy, I think. I also knew he would die in like 5 seconds so I figured Aloy might take pity.

Wabba

I diden't do so much research in the lore, but could anybody tell me what how Aloy was born? Is Elisabeth here real mother or is she a clone of her?

stryke

I diden't do so much research in the lore, but could anybody tell me what how Aloy was born? Is Elisabeth here real mother or is she a clone of her?

You barely have to do "research" to learn about Aloy. Unless you skipped every single cutscene.

Salamando

Clone. The short version...

- A signal is sent to the Gaia that causes the subroutines to become self-aware and erratic.
- The HADES subroutine attempts a coup of sorts, trying to take control of the terraforming operations.
- Gaia self-destructs, hoping to kill Hades in the process. Hades releases a virus, freeing itself, and survives.
- Before she self-destructed, she created a clone of Elisabet, knowing that her DNA profile would grant her access to all the facilities needed to set things right.

She's a clone of Gaia. The twist you probably missed not researching is that Elizabet is actually Gaia in human form. It gets kind of complicated and messy to explain, but that's time travel for ya.

How did Aloy actually know where Elizabet's home was? Was it in a data point I missed?
There is a datapoint that I THINK you're practically given (I could be wrong) that has her information in it. You find one for Elizabet, and another for Ted, that are pretty much the synopsis of their lives from a wikipedia page. I imagine it was in there, but could be wrong.

ISee

She's a clone of Gaia. The twist you probably missed not researching is that Elizabet is actually Gaia in human form. It gets kind of complicated and messy to explain, but that's time travel for ya.

Time travel? There was no time travel in HZD. Also Gaia isn't Elizabeth, she may look a tiny bit like her but she is 100% an artificial intelligence that was created by a team of of engineers, programmers, historians, etc. under Elizabeth's supervision. Gaia's purpose was to rebuild the biosphere and to repopulate the planet with life. Alloy is a clone of Elizabeth made by Gaia before she decided to kill herself to stop her hades subroutine in hope that Alloy would find her way into the mountain, get a focus device and find gaia's last recording. This was Gaia's only hope to communicate with mankind and to give them the information needed to defeat hades.

Time travel? There was no time travel in HZD. Also Gaia isn't Elizabeth, she may look a bit like her but she is 100% an artificial intelligence that was created by a team of of engineers, programmers, historians, etc. under Elizabeth's supervision. Gaia's purpose was to rebuild the biosphere and to repopulate the planet with life.
No. That is 100% wrong. You must have missed the data point.
I was just trying to screw with him and see if he would nibble :p

Zackat

the effect on the shield weaver armor is so cool.

I have mentioned it before, but they should add more weapons and stuff that have little lights on it like that armor for the next game. Or have a sort of "transmog" system where you can add baubles and stuff to your gear. Would add a little customization without taking away from Aloy.

Or have a sort of "transmog" system where you can add baubles and stuff to your gear. Would add a little customization without taking away from Aloy.

Yeah, adding mods to the weapons and outfits should change them aesthetically, IMO. Like melee defense mods add more plating, or change the materials of the plating, etc. That's something I'd like to see for the sequel.

the effect on the shield weaver armor is so cool.

I have mentioned it before, but they should add more weapons and stuff that have little lights on it like that armor for the next game. Or have a sort of "transmog" system where you can add baubles and stuff to your gear. Would add a little customization without taking away from Aloy.
I fear for Aloy....what I would do to her if I could customize her gear and appearance with the parts of my victims.

lady-gaga-kermit-frog-dress.jpg

But imagine turkeys.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if this is something pulled by Ted Faro ? I don't know about the exact date of the accident but I expect everything from that SoB

My guess is Ted is going to play a bigger role in the sequel. He had Thebes, his own bunker, and we haven't explored that or seen what else he was up to separate from the alphas on the ZD team.

Just beat the game about 30 minutes ago.

Between this and Nier, 2 of the best games I've played in recent memory.

When Aloy finds her "mothers" corpse at the end, gotta say that was emotional.

All in all the story was incredible, so many questions and loads of answers.

Also, fuck Ted Faro..

Are we assuming that Sylen crafted his spear specifically to be able to summon and trap Hades? It's interesting how you are not given the option to swap out your spear but instead the story forces you to have a new one and replaces your old one. What's stopping Aloy from attaching the Master Override to her spear?

lol I still love that audio dialog in the ruins where a guy is being interviewed for zero dawn and the interviewer tells him that the faro robots can consume bio-matter and organisms for fuel and his response is something like.

"robots that can eat people and self replicate? what sort of asshole would make something like that?:

Zackat

Are we assuming that Sylen crafted his spear specifically to be able to summon and trap Hades? It's interesting how you are not given the option to swap out your spear but instead the story forces you to have a new one and replaces your old one. What's stopping Aloy from attaching the Master Override to her spear?

y'know, I didn't think about that. Do you think the spear made the link between Hades and the little bird cage he is in now? Sylens is pretty good at making networks...

The Master Override did stop the extinction protocol though. So I wonder how much of a bite he even has now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I noticed today while finishing up the Metal Flowers that they have the same Faro triangle flower growth around them that Elizabet had in the final scene.

What I'm curious about is this "black quartz" that was mentioned in an FAS audio log.

Sobeck even kind of hints at it being the cause of the Faro virus for the robots going berserk when she threatened Faro about telling why the robots went rogue.

Also why were only phase 1 critters introduced after humans have been back for nearly 700 years?

edit: Also I think the Odyssey was successful and that the story of it's destruction was just a lie/cover up.

What I'm curious about is this "black quartz" that was mentioned in an FAS audio log.

Sobeck even kind of hints at it being the cause of the Faro virus for the robots going berserk when she threatened Faro about telling why the robots went rogue.

Also why were only phase 1 critters introduced after humans have been back for nearly 700 years?

edit: Also I think the Odyssey was successful and that the story of it's destruction was just a lie/cover up.

What was the Odyssey? All I got from the story is that it was destroyed. I'm not sure what it was trying to accomplish. How did it get destroyed?

y'know, I didn't think about that. Do you think the spear made the link between Hades and the little bird cage he is in now? Sylens is pretty good at making networks...

The Master Override did stop the extinction protocol though. So I wonder how much of a bite he even has now.

I think it did. Sylens is smart enough to build a way. I think the fact that ALoy used his spear is telling.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished. Some thoughts.

- Seriously. Fuck Ted. Worst Ted, even worse than Breaking Bad Ted.
- The whole ending with Aloy finding Elisabeth's armor was very well done.
- The post-credits zinger, fucking Sylence. Also, was hoping we would fight something like that big metal devil for the finale and not just a slightly more stronger regular robot, of which I've already killed a dozen or more through out the game, but sequels sequels.
- I like that the content in the game explains how it's not viable to launch everyone into space as a safety measure.
- The whole Zero Dawn thing was well explained and does a good job explaining why the population is so ethnically diverse.
- Although I would have loved to see a scene or two of the swam in full effect in the past just so we can see first hand how brutal it was.
- I let Nil live, don't hate me :( it made no sense to pointlessly kill him.
- I now regret telling Sylence that he has made amends, when it's clear that fucker will do just about anything for more knowledge.

Finished. Some thoughts.

- I let Nil live, don't hate me :( it made no sense to pointlessly kill him.
- I now regret telling Sylence that he has made amends, when it's clear that fucker will do just about anything for more knowledge.

I also let him live. I'm glad I did since he shows up to help fight a bit at the end. No need to kill him. You made the right choice.

I told Sylens he was a slimy mf'er basically. He would do anything for knowledge and the post credit proved that.

Top Bottom