• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Linkhero1

ETA on the 31 Days of Horror thread? I need some recommendations.

My list so far.

Code:
September 29	Evil Dead 2	1987
September 30		
October 1	The Hills Have Eyes	2005
October 2	Night of the Creeps	1986
October 3	Don't Be Afraid of the Dark	2010
October 4	The People Under the Stairs	1991
October 5		
October 6	
October 7	Night of the Demons	1988
October 8	Fright Night	2011
October 9	Unfriended	2015
October 10	The Fly 	1986
October 11	The Host	2007
October 12		
October 13	The Stepfather	1987
October 14	Hansel and Gretel	2007
October 15		
October 16	Knock Knock	2015 (Pending VoD Release)	
October 17		
October 18	Christine	1983
October 19	Housebound	2014
October 20	Death Proof	2007
October 21		
October 22		
October 23		
October 24		
October 25		
October 26		
October 27		
October 28		
October 29		
October 30		
October 31	Halloween	1978

Not sure about Knock Knock yet.

Melchiah

I'm personally going to watch The Taking of Deborah Logan and It Follows next. I can recommend Soft for Digging, The Poughkeepsie Tapes, Europa Report, Coherence, The Voices, Session 9, The Nameless, Angel Heart, and Jacob's Ladder.

Linkhero1

I'm personally going to watch The Taking of Deborah Logan and It Follows next. I can recommend Soft for Digging, The Poughkeepsie Tapes, Europa Report, Coherence, The Voices, Session 9, The Nameless, Angel Heart, and Jacob's Ladder.

Thanks! I haven't seen most of those yet. I loved Session 9 and Jacob's Ladder.

I've heard a lot about The Taking of Deborah Logan and have seen it floating on Netflix for the longest time. Might add this one to my list.

drotahorror

Some suggestions...

Excision, Planet Terror, Trick r Treat (i go back and forth on this one, sometimes I love it, sometimes I don't, strange), The Return of the Living Dead, Black Christmas '74, Ginger Snaps, Bram Stoker's Dracula.

zeemumu

My list so far.

Code:
September 30		
October 5		
October 6	
October 10	The Fly 	1986
October 11	The Host	2007
October 12		
October 15		
October 17		
October 21		
October 22		
October 23		
October 24		
October 25		
October 26		
October 27		
October 28		
October 29		
October 30		

There's a lack of Hocus Pocus here. I know this is a Horror thread but Hocus Pocus is mandatory for any list of movies for October.

I'm actually trying to get my plans together for Halloween Horror Nights and Knotts Scary Farm.

Linkhero1

Some suggestions...

Excision, Planet Terror, Trick r Treat (i go back and forth on this one, sometimes I love it, sometimes I don't, strange), The Return of the Living Dead, Black Christmas '74, Ginger Snaps, Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Thank you! Some very solid suggestions. I've only seen Trick r Treat out of the bunch. Planet Terror sounds up my alley.

There's a lack of Hocus Pocus here. I know this is a Horror thread but Hocus Pocus is mandatory for any list of movies for October.

I'm actually trying to get my plans together for Halloween Horror Nights and Knotts Scary Farm.

I've seen Hocus Pocus so many times as a kid. I think nickelodeon and/or the disney channel would air it during October.

zeemumu

I've seen Hocus Pocus so many times as a kid. I think nickelodeon and/or the disney channel would air it during October.

ABC airs it as part of their movie marathon. They were never really scary movies but they'd always show the fun ones that I watched as a kid, like the two Addams Family movies and Casper. I don't know if I'd watch When Good Ghouls Go Bad again, though. This dude scarred me for life:

wgggb12.jpg

*shudders*

Linkhero1

ABC airs it as part of their movie marathon. They were never really scary movies but they'd always show the fun ones that I watched as a kid, like the two Addams Family movies and Casper. I don't know if I'd watch When Good Ghouls Go Bad again, though. This dude scarred me for life:

wgggb12.jpg

*shudders*

I don't think I've ever seen When Good Ghouls Go Bad. I actually enjoy family horror movies. It gets me into the spirit. I may sneak Hocus Pocus in as a double feature :)

Melchiah

Thanks! I haven't seen most of those yet. I loved Session 9 and Jacob's Ladder.

I've heard a lot about The Taking of Deborah Logan and have seen it floating on Netflix for the longest time. Might add this one to my list.

They're some of my favorites as well, so if your taste in horror is any similar to mine you might love The Nameless and Angel Heart as well. Soft for Digging is an underrated indie horror film, which has a haunting atmosphere and very little dialogue. The Voices is a newer film, and funny as hell. The Poughkeepsie Tapes is one of the best found footage / serial killer films I've seen, and Europa Report is good scifi horror. Coherence was talked about on this thread a while ago.

Linkhero1

They're some of my favorites as well, so if your taste in horror is any similar to mine you might love The Nameless and Angel Heart as well. Soft for Digging is an underrated indie horror film, which has a haunting atmosphere and very little dialogue. The Voices is a newer film, and funny as hell. The Poughkeepsie Tapes is one of the best found footage / serial killer films I've seen, and Europa Report is good scifi horror. Coherence was talked about on this thread a while ago.

Thrillers are probably one of my favorite sub-genres of horror. I'll have to keep others in mind since I don't watch alone so I'll probably pick one or two films from here. I've heard good things about The Poughkeepsie Tapes. I'm not sure why I haven't watched it yet, but I'll fix that soon!

Has there been talk about the two mandatory watches for this year?

Melchiah

Thrillers are probably one of my favorite sub-genres of horror. I'll have to keep others in mind since I don't watch alone so I'll probably pick one or two films from here. I've heard good things about The Poughkeepsie Tapes. I'm not sure why I haven't watched it yet, but I'll fix that soon!

Then Angel Heart and The Nameless should be right up your alley.

Linkhero1

I'm working on the new logo right now and aiming to have the thread up by Sept 15th. Maybe a little earlier if I get everything I need done.

Nice to see you have some Craven in your list.

It was unplanned. I figured it was the best way to honor his legacy. :(

I will probably have one more Craven flick on my list.

Planning on doing 4 or 5 Craven films this year. I have over half my watches down but have a real good prelim list that I need to sort down.

B-Dex

My list so far.

Code:
September 30		
October 5		
October 6	
October 10	The Fly 	1986
October 11	The Host	2007
October 12		
October 15		
October 17		
October 21		
October 22		
October 23		
October 24		
October 25		
October 26		
October 27		
October 28		
October 29		
October 30		

Ok the new knock knock not the shit found footage ones. Avoid at all costs.

Patison

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend Houses That Ocober Built. According to my list of horror movies I watched 195 of them, and I've found it to be one of the scariest. Also, its plot is really interesting, mostly because it feels (at least for a first half) like you're watching a real documentary. I may be a little biased though, because I watched it right after visiting my local haunted house (where I screamed like a little girl).

Don't want to spoil too much, so just watch it! If you won't like it, feel free to kick my butt.

Also recently watched:
Coherence - it could've been much more, but with its limited budget I found it impressive. Great ending! A lot better than the other movie with similar concept. Won't name it, because it's kinda spoilerific :p

Creep - liked it, real emotional rollercoaster. They did a great job to make both sides likeable in some way. At one point I thought
Aaron is the actual creep, especially when he drugged Josef, that would make for a cool twist I think.

Edit: And if I can ask, could you recommend me some great, old horror movie? '50s, '60s, something from that era that aged well or is just fun to watch. Most of those I tried were unfortunately pretty boring :(

Melchiah

Edit: And if I can ask, could you recommend me some great, old horror movie? '50s, '60s, something from that era that aged well or is just fun to watch. Most of those I tried were unfortunately pretty boring :(

Rosemary's Baby, The Plague of the Zombies, and Repulsion from the 60's have aged well, but some might find them boring, I guess.

Steamlord

Some of the more exciting/interesting/fun horror movies I enjoy from the 50s and 60s:

Les Diaboliques (aka Diabolique)
Dracula (aka Horror of Dracula)
Psycho
Peeping Tom
Carnival of Souls
The Haunting
Black Sabbath
Blood and Black Lace
The Masque of the Red Death
Repulsion
The Fearless Vampire Killers
Rosemary's Baby
Night of the Living Dead

And some pre-1950s movies:

Nosferatu
Frankenstein
Dracula
King Kong
The Black Cat
Bride of Frankenstein
Dead of Night

Zombine

Banned
Last year I fell off hard when it came to the 31 horror movies a night challenge. This year is going to be different. I will succeed.

Linkhero1

I know a lot of horror anthologies tend to be on the weak side of the genre but which more recent anthologies do you guys recommend? Recent being past 10-15 years.

Modern ones I've seen:

1. V/H/S
2. V/H/S 2
3. ABCs of Death (this was probably the worst one I've seen)
4. Three...Extremes
5. Trick r Treat

Zombine

Banned
Can we double up on weekends if we know that we won't be able to watch horror films on certain days? I know I lose 3 days in a row because of comic con.

Can we double up on weekends if we know that we won't be able to watch horror films on certain days? I know I lose 3 days in a row because of comic con.

That's what I've done in the past. I believe as long as you can meet quota by the end of the month then you should be fine.

I've decided that despite how busy school is going to keep me next month I'm still going to shoot for 31 films. I skipped out last year and well.....it sucked. I'm starting to compile my list and so far it's a pretty good lineup.

Linkhero1

So excited that I've completed my list. Some films might be switched out depending on whether they are on Netflix or not. I will find out soon, once I sign up in the next few weeks. Too bad there isn't a site (at least to my knowledge) that tells you what is currently streaming. I didn't include any double features and GAF's mandatory watches will be added as a double feature most likely.

Code:
September 30	Housebound	2014
October 5	Rosemary's Baby	1968
October 6	Black Death	2011
October 10	The Fly 	1986
October 11	The Host	2007
October 12	Brainscan	1994
October 15	The Return of the Living Dead	1985
October 16	Knock Knock	2015
October 17	Nightbreed	1990
October 19	The Theater Bizarre	2012
October 21	Mimic	1997
October 22	I Saw the Devil	2011
October 23	Suspiria	1977
October 24	Stakeland	2010
October 25	Maniac Cop	1988
October 26	From Dusk till Dawn	1996
October 27	One Missed Call	2003
October 28	The Burning	1981
October 29	The Midnight Meat Train	2008
October 30	The Thing	2011

So excited that I've completed my list. Some films might be switched out depending on whether they are on Netflix or not. I will find out soon, once I sign up in the next few weeks. Too bad there isn't a site (at least to my knowledge) that tells you what is currently streaming. I didn't include any double features and GAF's mandatory watches will be added as a double feature most likely.

Code:
September 30	Housebound	2014
October 5	Rosemary's Baby	1968
October 6	Black Death	2011
October 10	The Fly 	1986
October 11	The Host	2007
October 12	Brainscan	1994
October 15	The Return of the Living Dead	1985
October 16	Knock Knock	2015
October 17	Nightbreed	1990
October 19	The Theater Bizarre	2012
October 21	Mimic	1997
October 22	I Saw the Devil	2011
October 23	Suspiria	1977
October 24	Stakeland	2010
October 25	Maniac Cop	1988
October 26	From Dusk till Dawn	1996
October 27	One Missed Call	2003
October 28	The Burning	1981
October 29	The Midnight Meat Train	2008
October 30	The Thing	2011

Really good list! Enjoy!

Canistream.it for movies that a streamable

B-Dex

When are we getting a cabin in the woods sequel. Or is it a lost cause cause of that lawsuit? I would love to see their take on that Japanese School. Or even aftermath of the first.

FYI for any Scream Factory fans, DeepDiscount is having a decent sale at this moment. In other news, I just bought 10 horror blu-rays. I'm both excited and a little nervous, it's been years since I've bought any movies at that scale. I finally have a reason to clean up my Amazon cart a little though, so that's nice.

Linkhero1

FYI for any Scream Factory fans, DeepDiscount is having a decent sale at this moment. In other news, I just bought 10 horror blu-rays. I'm both excited and a little nervous, it's been years since I've bought any movies at that scale. I finally have a reason to clean up my Amazon cart a little though, so that's nice.
Is there a link to this promo? I'm not seeing anything on my phone. There's so much I want to buy now. I'm worried I'll end up spending more than I can afford.

These kinds of questions are probably best left for when the thread goes up in a few days so everyone participating can see them, but yeah, that's fine. Do whatever works best for you.

The "rules" are there just for the semblance of structure so it's just not another "what are you watching" thread. They're never really enforced and even if we did want to enforce them, I don't see how we could.

The same goes for the mandatory movies which we'll be doing again this year. If anyone can't or doesn't want to watch them, just don't make a big deal about it and I'm sure no one will notice or care.

Is there a link to this promo? I'm not seeing anything on my phone. There's so much I want to buy now. I'm worried I'll end up spending more than I can afford.

Here you go.

If you use one of the codes shown at the top of the page you can probably make out at around $13.00 a flick. Of course that also depends on how many you buy. The deals aren't just exclusive to ShoutFactory releases either, there were quite a few Fulci and Argento films on sale as well.

Linkhero1

Here you go.

If you use one of the codes shown at the top of the page you can probably make out at around $13.00 a flick. Of course that also depends on how many you buy. The deals aren't just exclusive to ShoutFactory releases either, there were quite a few Fulci and Argento films on sale as well.

Thanks! Is there any other time they go on sale? I always found them to be a bit pricey, but I'm probably going to get a handful of films anyways.

Thanks! Is there any other time they go on sale? I always found them to be a bit pricey, but I'm probably going to get a handful of films anyways.

To be honest I'm not sure. I saw a few rumblings that this is about as cheap as they have ever got. I believe they may have occasionally dropped down to $15-$18 a few times but it's not very often that a sale occurs. I've been in the same boat as you with being intimidated by the price, its not too hard to convince oneself that spending $25 on a Pumpkinhrad bluray probably isn't the best financial option. Usually I just gawk at the amazing cover art in my amazon cart, it's pretty awesome that I finally get to own a few. I wish that the new Army of Darkness collectors edition was out now though, I bet that one will cost a few bones.

drotahorror

Yep those are the best deals I've seen for Shout Factory blu's. Thanks for the site.

Prince of Darkness for $15.66 sure is tempting...

Yo this site is actually really good. Cheaper than amazon on like, everything I want.

Linkhero1

I'm super tempted to buy a few. I'll most likely wait for Black Friday and check local mom and pop shops for deals in the meantime.

Yep those are the best deals I've seen for Shout Factory blu's. Thanks for the site.

Prince of Darkness for $15.66 sure is tempting...

Yo this site is actually really good. Cheaper than amazon on like, everything I want.

Yep, I've forced myself to quit looking as I bought another Blu a few hours ago. The battle between my wallet and my brain has been particularly one-sided the past few days. :)

Prince of Darkness is wonderful, take advantage of that deal

Despite being a Carpenter stan, Prince of Darkness is the only film from his 80's output I haven't watched. I'll probably throw in my 31 days of horror mix.

Aizo

Banned
I see that The Host is on the 31 days this year. What is it that people like about the movie? My friends and I thought the film was quite bad, and I really love Horror.

Linkhero1

I see that The Host is on the 31 days this year. What is it that people like about the movie? My friends and I thought the film was quite bad, and I really love Horror.
I haven't seen it before but I've heard good things about it. I guess I'll find out how good or bad it is soon.

Melchiah

It's not bad, but it's too long for its own good, and I wouldn't personally call it a horror movie.

Linkhero1

I'm questioning whether to take it off my list for another foreign film. I can watch it any other time. I don't want friends and family watching with me to hate me haha.

I don't know where all this sudden disliking of The Host is coming from. The film is an awesome monster movie and the director is amazing. Keep it on your list.

Linkhero1

I decided to keep it and judge for myself. Plus, I think it's on Netflix so it's not too much trouble to find.

I kind of wish this thread was a bit more active. The horror genre is probably my favorite right next to action. Anyways, what's a notable horror movie you guys have yet to see? I have not seen Suspiria yet. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a lot of the classics from the 20s, 30s, and 40s. I should probably get to them soon.

I don't know where all this sudden disliking of The Host is coming from. The film is an awesome monster movie and the director is amazing. Keep it on your list.

I've always said it was overrated. It's really just a family drama, not even a great one that happens to have a monster in it at times. It's overly long, lacks in monster, and just doesn't really feel like horror in the least outside of maybe a couple minutes of scenes at the start and end.

I decided to keep it and judge for myself. Plus, I think it's on Netflix so it's not too much trouble to find.

I kind of wish this thread was a bit more active. The horror genre is probably my favorite right next to action. Anyways, what's a notable horror movie you guys have yet to see? I have not seen Suspiria yet. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a lot of the classics from the 20s, 30s, and 40s. I should probably get to them soon.

This thread is only really active before the 31 days of horror thread and pretty much is inactive after halloween. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1105085 has a pretty decent community and horror comes up from time to time once this thread dies out due to the 31 days of horror thread.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Anyone else kind of glad we've been moving away from zombies? I feel like the number of zombie movies have really dropped off. I just wished we moved onto something good though, instead it looks like supernatural found footage movies are gonna be with us for awhile :/

Linkhero1

This thread is only really active before the 31 days of horror thread and pretty much is inactive after halloween. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1105085 has a pretty decent community and horror comes up from time to time once this thread dies out due to the 31 days of horror thread.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on this thread after October. :)

Anyone else kind of glad we've been moving away from zombies? I feel like the number of zombie movies have really dropped off. I just wished we moved onto something good though, instead it looks like supernatural found footage movies are gonna be with us for awhile :/

I'm really tired of found footage films altogether. There are a handful of decent found footage films, but I would like to see something new already. I'm tired of zombies but it's not because of the movies, but other forms of media depicting zombies have worn me out.

I'd like to see more of Del Toro like fantasy horror films.

Top Bottom