• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

XShagrath

I'll have to check out some of these other horror podcasts. The only one I regularly listen to is Dead and Lovely, and I really dig their format and balance of analysis and humor.

The only other one I've tried was Say You Love Satan, and that was just way too much on the "humor" side for me. It was like listening to someone play Cards Against Humanity for 3 hours. Granted, I only tried one episode, so maybe that's not their standard format, but it seemed like it was.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/tonight-she-comes-video

British Film Classification site says it's 81 minutes uncut. I guess it's possible that IMDB is wrong?

Hm. Weird. That's the same runtime as the cut German one.

Being in Germany kinda sucks as a horror fan. Yesterday I was looking for a blu ray of The Wailing. No chance, it's simply not wanted here thanks to the general German taste in movies. :(

That sucks. Is it a content issue or just because there isn't a market for Korean horror movies there? The movie is fantastic, everyone should get a chance to see it.

Just wait a bit and get the austria release.

Oh nice, blu-ray.com didn't list any other editions so I wasn't aware that was coming. Is there a date?

Aske

Today I learned there's an extended version of Evil Dead 2013. Guess I'm buying that movie twice, but if any horror flick deserves it, it's that one. Hope it gets a sweet 4K transfer eventually.

I loved Tonight She Comes. Saw an 81 minute version that purports to be uncut, but I feel like there were some places where obvious snips might have been made. If not, then the movie is oddly coy about some imagery while going balls-deep with the rest. Reviews criticise the film's editing, and I could easily be mistaking sloppiness for evidence of possible censorship.

It'll be a very divisive movie for a lot of reasons, but a lot of people will simply hate the tone. I loved its oddly schizophrenic blend of viciousness and idiocy, and I think the comparisons some reviewers have made to Evil Dead are apt; but don't go in with anything but the most general vibe of those movies in mind.

Kind of impossible to broadly recommend or not, but it's probably worth watching just so you can say you've seen it.

That sucks. Is it a content issue or just because there isn't a market for Korean horror movies there? The movie is fantastic, everyone should get a chance to see it.

It's one of my favourite films of the last few years, up there with Mad Max Fury Road, haha. It really flew under the radar of many people, I'd even say almost nobody in Germany even knows of its existence. I'll have to wait, I guess. Same with Memories Of Murder.

We get films like Train To Busan, The Host or A Tale Of Two Sisters. I don't know why the other films don't have an audience here.

Enk

makes good threads.
Today I learned there's an extended version of Evil Dead 2013. Guess I'm buying that movie twice, but if any horror flick deserves it, it's that one. Hope it gets a sweet 4K transfer eventually.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem that it's going to get a physical release any time soon. The only place I've seen it is through Amazon's streaming service. The cut itself is pretty good. It doesn't add much, but it does add a little bit more of a classic Evil Dead flair to the movie. I didn't care for the extended bit at the end though.

Aske

Unfortunately it doesn't seem that it's going to get a physical release any time soon. The only place I've seen it is through Amazon's streaming service. The cut itself is pretty good. It doesn't add much, but it does add a little bit more of a classic Evil Dead flair to the movie. I didn't care for the extended bit at the end though.

That seems to be the consensus I've read online. I'm just glad to have the excuse to watch it again!

Far too many movies lack physical releases. Going to be a long time before we can all stream Blu-ray quality content, much less UHDBD.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's one of my favourite films of the last few years, up there with Mad Max Fury Road, haha. It really flew under the radar of many people, I'd even say almost nobody in Germany even knows of its existence. I'll have to wait, I guess. Same with Memories Of Murder.

We get films like Train To Busan, The Host or A Tale Of Two Sisters. I don't know why the other films don't have an audience here.
It will get a release sooner then later. The small labels are aware of this kind of movies.

It will get a release sooner then later. The small labels are aware of this kind of movies.

I believe you. :) I just hope it's rather sooner than later!!! I still need to watch A Tale Of Two Sisters and that one's available. I once started watching it and had to stop in the first half because it was too fucking scary to me. I'm a wuss.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
German one is 79min - https://www.amazon.de/dp/B071P2FDYX/

blu-ray.com has the wrong runtime listed for it. Well...someone does holy shit.

Other sites have that same bluray - https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung_vorab&fid=292967&vid=79774&partner=83372 listed as 84min.

I really just don't know.

Ofdb is not sure yet, they have a label that says, that this is most likely to be uncut - Which will not be the case. Schnittberichte.com had a news, that the Label had to ask two times for a uncut rating, but wasnt able to get one and so they had to release a cut version.
Still, there can be a uncut version coming via austria at some point.

So in my Amazon Prime I found The Chaser from the director of the Wailing. I wanted to buy this, haha.

...After seeing it I'm definitely going to get a physical version. Holy FUCK, this was intense and infuriating. Maybe not Horror by definition but as horrific as you can get with a thriller. I'm kinda shaking. I felt so much for the main character by the end, omg.

Those South Koreans don't joke around when it comes to gritty movies. Wow.

Enk

makes good threads.
What are your most anticipated horror movies this year?

I have a growing list so films I've been occasionally keeping track of to see what's become available to stream. For the ones that haven't come out yet the one I've been really keeping an eye on is Better Watch Out (formally known as Safe Neighborhood).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I pretty much rely on you guys + IMDb recommendations (the former being a lot more reliable than the latter), but if I had to name something upcoming I'm kinda excited for, it is Cargo (IMDb). Looks and sounds like something fresh in an otherwise mostly stale (sub)genre.

So I watched Green Room for the first time.

It was good while it lasted but felt a little too short. I think I'll appreciate it more on repeated viewings. One little problem I had was the fact that I wanted half of the teens to die (or at least shut up), especially
the one that got dragged out of the window and stabbed later on

It was really well made, though and Patrick Steward rules.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
So I watched Green Room for the first time.

It was good while it lasted but felt a little too short. I think I'll appreciate it more on repeated viewings. One little problem I had was the fact that I wanted half of the teens to die (or at least shut up), especially
the one that got dragged out of the window and stabbed later on

It was really well made, though and Patrick Steward rules.

I recently watched Blue Ruin and rather liked it, definitely want to check out Green Room sometime soon.

I recently watched Blue Ruin and rather liked it, definitely want to check out Green Room sometime soon.

It's just extremely well done, I think. I need to let it sink a little more. Not a feel-good movie at all, haha. Definitely a film I'd show my buddies and I'm sure I could enjoy it just as much watching it a second time.

What do you think the best Horror film of the past year is?
I may watch Raw this evening.
2016? Well, it's The Wailing for me, easily. But I'm repeating myself here. :D

Worth mentioning: Creepy (by Kiyoshi Kurosawa) and 10 Cloverfield Lane. I'm not sure Cloverfield Lane would count as horror, though. It's more of a thriller.

lordxar

I'd have to agree on the Wailing at number one. Split probably second, then Train to Busan, Under the Shadow, and either Beyond the Gates or Hush to round out the top five that I've seen.

Aizo

Banned
Those all look good. Sadly, not many Horror films make it over here from abroad, so I've been a bit out of the loop. Thanks for the recommendations!

drotahorror

The Autopsy of Jane Doe was the best horror movie I've seen this year.

Also, in the past 12 months I've enjoyed - Hell House LLC, The Wailing, Train to Busan, Southbound, Don't Breath, The Conjuring 2, 10 Cloverfield Lane (great), Get Out

One's I didn't like - The Devil's Candy, The Void, Green Room, Blair Witch, 31 (trash tier)

One's I intend to watch - The Eyes of my Mother, The Blackcoat's Daughter, Here Alone, Raw, Tonight She Comes, Under the Shadow

All I can think of right now.

Jerm411

Man I go a while between TCM viewings and I forget just how goddamn brilliant this movie is.....

Leatherface's reveal and the build to it is unparralled in horror IMO....

zeemumu

How is Wish Upon?

Not great. Suffers a lot of the problems that PG-13 horror movies have these days and the main character makes a few dumb mistakes that pull you out of the film.

On the other side of things, I've been keeping an eye on Annabelle Creation since it's coming out next week. I didn't expect it to be anything noteworthy because it's a sequel of a spinoff and the first movie in the spinoff series wasn't that good. But the initial impressions of it all seem to be fairly positive so I'm gonna end up giving it a chance and hope it's another Ouija Origin of Evil situation where a good movie just comes out of nowhere.

Man I go a while between TCM viewings and I forget just how goddamn brilliant this movie is.....

Leatherface's reveal and the build to it is unparralled in horror IMO....

There was a moment in Blair Witch that was effective because it preyed on my claustrophobia.

The Void...man, what the fuck is this movie. It has potential and I can see a decent flick in here but...editing, nonsensical character moments, the general writing, man. Effects are good, but man it's definitely not as good as I'd hoped it be.

Grady

Did not know this thread existed. Been an avid horror fan my entire life. Just started building a bluray collection of my favorites as a child.

Most recent ones I bought are The Gate, Return of the Living Dead 3, Tales from the hood collectors edition, Twilight times John Carpenter's Vampires, Alien Anthology, the Blob region free collectors edition import, Hellraiser Scarlett box.

Have about 50 movies so far. I hesitated on the phantasm boxset like an idiot. Underestimated the scarce availability of it, as well as the shitbags who buy them all up. Shit was 40 bucks at best buy and I blew it off. A 100 dollar amazon gift card landed on my lap today. I might use it to buy it this week for 160. Fucking scalpers are brutal. Didn't realize how cutt throat the horror bluray market was. George Romero box set of oddball movies releasing in October for 100. I bet shit will be selling for 300 weeks after release. Crazy

Did not know this thread existed. Been an avid horror fan my entire life. Just started building a bluray collection of my favorites as a child.

Most recent ones I bought are The Gate, Return of the Living Dead 3, Tales from the hood collectors edition, Twilight times John Carpenter's Vampires, Alien Anthology, the Blob region free collectors edition import, Hellraiser Scarlett box.

Have about 50 movies so far. I hesitated on the phantasm boxset like an idiot. Underestimated the scarce availability of it, as well as the shitbags who buy them all up. Shit was 40 bucks at best buy and I blew it off. A 100 dollar amazon gift card landed on my lap today. I might use it to buy it this week for 160. Fucking scalpers are brutal. Didn't realize how cutt throat the horror bluray market was. George Romero box set of oddball movies releasing in October for 100. I bet shit will be selling for 300 weeks after release. Crazy

Your bit about Romero stuff selling for a lot has reminded me how that will probably be for a lot of horror fans! Right now I've a dvd special edition of dawn of the dead signed by him and Savini, among a few other signed movies of his, with no idea how to preserve. Do people just buy a protective box to encase this sort of thing? Whole thing makes me sad, but I don't want it to disappear. They sit on my movie shelf like any other.

House on Willow Street was rough. Bought it on a whim at Best Buy since cheap new release horror movies from indie studios are a weakness of mine, and this one was just not good. Had some cool direction, but the acting and plot, especially towards the end, just got awful.

Is it October yet?

I've got an incredible selection of titles to choose from for the 31 days of horror marathon and I'm getting antsy to watch them.

I did just finish Arrow Videos restoration of Deep Red and it's just as stylish and great as ever. Arrow really knocked it out of the park as well with their work. As good as I thought my Blue Underground BD was the Arrow disk simply blows it away. Horror, let alone Giallo, is such an amazing visual genre for filmmakers with the list of great looking horror flicks being near endless. Even so, Deep Red manages to stand out. I need to get a good surround sound for my next viewing so I can take advantage of that Goblin score.

Anyone have any recommendations of more podcasts/sites like knifepointhorror? Never thought I'd say I liked short stories, but I've really been enjoying these while doing chores, and I'm about to exhaust all that it has to offer.

Anyone have any recommendations of more podcasts/sites like knifepointhorror? Never thought I'd say I liked short stories, but I've really been enjoying these while doing chores, and I'm about to exhaust all that it has to offer.

Have you tried the Magnus Archives? I'm not familiar with knifepointhorror (it looks great, though!) but the Magnus Archives is a weekly horror fiction anthology podcast. I started from the beginning and some of the stories are super creepy. I'd advise starting at the beginning as there is somewhat of a secondary serial plot.

fuck yeahhh goblin! share your list please~

I've got to cut this down to 31, and that's with me not adding anything else to it. The ones in bold are definite watches.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Baskin
Bitch
Body Snatchers
Brain Damage
Cannibal Holocaust
Cat People
Chopping Mall
Creepshow 2

Cronos
Dark Water
Diabolique
Don’t Breathe
Evolution
Eyes of My Mother
From Beyond
Get Out
Hellraiser 3: Hell on Earth
House
House 2: The Second Story
Hausu

I am Not a Serial Killer
I am the Pretty Thing That Lives in This House
It Comes at Night
Kill List
Light’s Out
Lisa and the Devil
Night of the Demons
Phenomena
Raw

Return of the Living Dead 3
Sisters

Sweet Sweet Lonely Girl
Tales from the Hood
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
The Cult of Chucky
The Gate
The Host
The Monster
The Neon Demon
The Prowler
The Sentinel

The Vampire Lovers
The Void
They Look Like People
Troll Hunter
Under the Shadow
Waxwork
What Have You Done to Solange
Wolfen

Rewatches:

Audition
Fright Night
Nosferatu
Slither
Suspiria (If Blu Ray is Released)
The Fog
The Witch

Amazon finally shipped my Arrow Re-Animator BD! I can't wait to watch it. Might have to do a re-watch of the whole trilogy.

I've got to cut this down to 31, and that's with me not adding anything else to it. The ones in bold are definite watches.

Holy shit, those are all first time viewings? Amazing list, from what I've seen.

What version of Fright Night is that? Is there a new BD I can actually buy?

Have you tried the Magnus Archives? I'm not familiar with knifepointhorror (it looks great, though!) but the Magnus Archives is a weekly horror fiction anthology podcast. I started from the beginning and some of the stories are super creepy. I'd advise starting at the beginning as there is somewhat of a secondary serial plot.
Ya, Magnus Archives is amazing. I've listened to most of S1 at least twice and it gets better with each listen (partly because my listening comprehension sucks).

The last ep freaked me out! It was only 20 minutes long but it was one of the best.

I'll check out knifepointhorror, never heard of it before.

Enk

makes good threads.

There's a region free German blu-ray you can get off of Amazon that's about $30. Having own it I can say that while it's barebone on extras, the picture quality is really good and is supposedly better that the Twilight limited print that's going for several hundred.

There's a region free German blu-ray you can get off of Amazon that's about $30. Having own it I can say that while it's barebone on extras, the picture quality is really good and is supposedly better that the Twilight limited print that's going for several hundred.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I care more about it looking good and not costing several hundred dollars than extras, so I'm in.

It'll look nice next to my region free Night of the Living Dead and The Blob on my "fuck Twilight Time" self.

Holy shit, those are all first time viewings? Amazing list, from what I've seen.

Every one of them are first timer's except for the ones at the very bottom. The Fright Night release I have is the recent one from Eureka. It's a region 2 release, looks great, and even has the recent doc "You're So Cool Brewster" on it. I'm unsure if it's region free though. I know we've talked before about region locking, by I can't remember which region you have access to. I have a player that is capable of being switched to regions 1, 2 and 3. I'll let you know which regions the disk can be played in.

You're gonna have a good time.

Yep, October needs to hurry up and get here.

Top Bottom