• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror Game Leak - Alpha build screen shots and art. Maybe Sony game (not Bend)?

Valhelm

contribute something
Hehe. I'm still here. And i said not that this info is 100% true, confirmed or something. It's what i heard from someone who was sometimes right with what he told me ... and sometimes not. I try to check this information with another source to see what comes out.

And trust me ... i don't wanna make a name (i have a name) or something or fool someone.

Did they tell you about the Pentagon's god experiments while you were with them?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I look forward to shitting my pants.

image.php

Lernaean

Banned
The whole art design reminds me a lot of Tyranids and their weaponry from the Warhammer 40k universe. Which is great actually :p

1379070934450.jpg

4502_genestealer.tyranids.jpg

I cant beleive the OP/OP's friend and the first comment only mention Doom vibes, when it is clearly Giger.

Yes I know already brought up.
Doom's visuals were inspired by Giger:

John Romero said:
The artists kept Necronomicon, a book of images by the Swiss surrealist HR Giger, open in front of them, to help them come up with crazy disturbing stuff. That's why we have walls that are like spines and screaming faces, and marines impaled on spikes. It inspired hellish monsters, too, like the cacodemon – the one that flies, shoots lightning and then spills its blue guts out when it dies. It looks very cartoon-like today, but it was the coolest thing when it came out.
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/jan/27/how-we-made-video-game-doom

I love this.
I hope survival horror makes a powerful comeback this gen.
With this, The Evil Within, Fatal Frame 5 and Shadow of the Eternals (is that thing still a thing?) I have high hopes.

not saying it didnt, it inspired many things. but which looks more directly related to this?

might as well credit/mention the direct obvious inspiration is all.
Not everyone knows who H.R. Giger is but most people here have played Doom (I would hope!). But yes you're very well cultured and knowledgeable if that's what you want to hear. ;)

I don't do horror survival games. I am a gigantic pussy. But with an art style like this, I would gladly let it be the first. Any leads on figuring out who did this/what it is?

majik13

Not everyone knows who H.R. Giger is but most people here have played Doom (I would hope!). But yes you're very well cultured and knowledgeable if that's what you want to hear. ;)

not what I am saying, They dont need to know who Giger is. Just Alien would suffice. i'm sure more people saw an Alien movie or played an Alien game than played Doom. I am just thinking people would be much more familiar with that franchise(Giger's most famous art) than Doom, wouldnt you? Also Doom looks to only barely be inspired by Giger. I just find that odd that several people intially credited it to Doom.

not what I am saying, I am just thinking more people would be much more familiar with the Alien's franchise(Giger's most famous art) than Doom, wouldnt you? Doom looks to only barely be inspired by Giger. I just find that odd that several people intially credited it to Doom.
Perhaps but while I'm sure that a lot of people are familiar with the Alien series, they may not know who designed the alien and other visuals. Anyway we're on the gaming side so you probably shouldn't be surprised when people liken things to video games rather than Swiss artists or even movies.

That said, I agree with you. When I see this concept art I think Giger too, not Doom. I just like playing the Devil's advocate.

JNT

not what I am saying, They dont need to know who Giger is. Just Alien would suffice. I am just thinking people would be much more familiar with the Alien franchise(Giger's most famous art) than Doom, wouldnt you? Doom looks to only barely be inspired by Giger. I just find that odd that several people intially credited it to Doom.

You should see some of the comments in the Alien: Isolation threads.

'Why is that guy's blood white?'

majik13

You should see some of the comments in the Alien: Isolation threads.

'Why is that guy's blood white?'

I remeber that, but I think a lot of that was sarcasm, I think I even made a post like that.

reminds me of.

y cant metroid crawl?

Ah, makes sense. Internet sarcasm always flies way above my head.

not saying there wasnt some real reactions/comments that actuall thought that. the first could have been, not sure.

Jawmuncher

Well a VR horror game would be the quickest way to sell morpheus to the masses.
Especially if they get people playing it and streaming it. Since isn't that what basically pushed Amnesia to a lot of sales.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I know what the game is, got to talk to the leaker for a while over the last few weeks, will be posting about it here in a small bit.

not what I am saying, They dont need to know who Giger is. Just Alien would suffice. i'm sure more people saw an Alien movie or played an Alien game than played Doom. I am just thinking people would be much more familiar with that franchise(Giger's most famous art) than Doom, wouldnt you? Also Doom looks to only barely be inspired by Giger. I just find that odd that several people intially credited it to Doom.

Not overlooked, more like over-stated. Something I want to add with this; I am terrible with names, and this will always be true of me. I usually forget the names of most people, I knew the inspiration but I couldn't put my name on who it was and knew it wasn't them anyways as they passed along recently, and was more interested in figuring out the project than its inspirations.

Cudder

So what happens when a mod asks for someone to verify a source? Does the mod have to talk to the source themselves and get proof that way? What if the source is unwilling to comply with any sort of verifying for security purposes?

This concept looks fucking awesome. Someone gets it; make the protagonist NOT a generic 30-something white male marine with a gun. Have a strange and mysterious backdrop to the game that is puzzling, weird, and unsettling all at the same time. I feel like we are returning to the 80s with some of this awesome imagery here.

biteren

The whole art design reminds me a lot of Tyranids and their weaponry from the Warhammer 40k universe. Which is great actually :p

i was thinking the same thing, ive always liked the gross ass weapons of the Tyranids

not saying it didnt, it inspired many things. but which looks more directly related to this?

this

or this?

might as well credit/mention the direct obvious inspiration is all.

its most apparent with the Icon of Sin in Doom 2 i think.

Yes! I thought about bumping this thread just yesterday but didn't have any valid reason except dying to hear more about whatever this project is. Whatever it is will be bought on Day Embryo .

majik13

I know what the game is, got to talk to the leaker for a while over the last few weeks, will be posting about it here in a small bit.

Not overlooked, more like over-stated. Something I want to add with this; I am terrible with names, and this will always be true of me. I usually forget the names of most people, I knew the inspiration but I couldn't put my name on who it was and knew it wasn't them anyways as they passed along recently, and was more interested in figuring out the project than its inspirations.

fair enough. And do go on. The game looks intresting.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Have a full article being written up, but will post some about it here first as you guys helped me figure this all out.

Firstly, the game's name is indeed Scorn, as some of you guys put together from the email title (which I missed, which I can't help but chuckle at as its one of the oldest tricks in the book).

It is being developed primarily for PC, PS4 is highly considered though.

The game is being made by a newly formed studio known as Ebb software. They currently have 7 full-time studio members on-board, and created a demo pitch for studios with a total of 12 people, and got assistance from a number of freelance artists they have connections with. However, after pitching their demo and idea to several studios, they got the same response every time ; The game’s too weird for mainstream appeal, it’s single-player focused, and lacks hooks for the best way to monetize the project.

To directly quote the email exchange;

I’m sorry for (the trickery) but we wanted to get some unfiltered impressions of our game without the “another indie game” stigma. We needed to show potential investors that even if it is a niche genre it’s not that small and that there are people interested in this kind of game and more importantly this kind of design. We haven’t had much luck with publishers and we hit the same barrier with investors that are not part of the gaming industry. They always consulted marketing experts and the so called experts always gave them the same answers: game is too weird, its single player, nowadays every game has to be online and free to play cause that’s the best way to monetize the players etc. We were not planning to go public with this for at least a year but decide to do it this in hope it will create some buzz so we can show the investors that there is market for it.

They emailed the screenshots to me specifically because of my love for the genre, which I've shown through my posts here on GAF, my YouTube channel, and my work on Rely on Horror, apparently.

Game is being made with Unity 4, but they plan to move to Unity 5. They sent me this as sort of 'proof'.

editor.jpg

They've apologized for some trickery, and have agree'd to answer any questions I have and agree'd to an interview. Because you guys helped me, I'll ask questions to them you guys have as well.

I may have been involuntarily involved in some viral marketing campaign, but I don't mind too much. The project does strike as interesting to me, and I hope they can find someone who will publish them. Apparently this went better than they expected, though.

The reason they aren't going with Kickstarter, and to quote;

It seems to me that for a kickstarter campaign to work you not only have to have a great game but even more importantly you have to have a great marketing campaign and that is no easy task. It’s also a matter of timing and right now the kickstarter hype has cooled down so only some established developer or well known game design name could raise the budget amount that we need. We may try it as a last resort.

There's a bit more to this, but typing out the full article as we speak.

Hmmm

Unless they have a full reveal ready to go shortly, that's pretty disappointing. No one likes being teased with no payoff.

Cudder

Well that's certainly an interesting way to go about things and build hype. Did it work for them overall or were they looking for even more of an interest in the game?

Okay guys. ...i just dug a little into this. I just tell you what someone with knowledge to this topic told me.

This game is namend "Succumb Core" (working title) and is the concept of a newly founded and not officially announced studio "by some known veterans of the industry and genre". It was created with oculus rift in mind. They showed a alpha slice - the screens are from this - to some publishers. And ... like many games now ... Sony grabbed it as an exclusive for PS4 with Morpheus support. "The Games' in an early stage but Sony is considering to unveil it at this years' Games Com."

Is this dude definitely getting the boot, then?

Porcupeth

Banned
However, after pitching their demo and idea to several studios, they got the same response every time ; The game’s too weird for mainstream appeal, it’s single-player focused, and lacks hooks for the best way to monetize the project.

ffs i need to stop reading anything on the Internet, it's too depressing.

Thanks for the info though.

Top Bottom