• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hover: RoG | Mirror's Edge+Jet Set Radio; Naganuma onboard (PC/Consoles); Kickstarter

Rembrandt

Banned
I'm confused, is it coming to X1/PS4 for sure and the Wii U is a stretch goal or are all the console versions a stretch goal?

Damn, it's happening, isn't it. Will be so good to play this on WiiU.

What I was thinking. Huge fan of JSRF (favorite original Xbox game). Considering how the last few days of a kickstarter always see a spike in pledges (that Hex Heroes game went from 70k to 80k in a day) I feel it will be able to reach 100k.

Rembrandt

Banned
It's coming to PS4 & Xbox, WiiU is a stretch goal

Bp78H4W.gif

Update 7: Second Stretch Goal reached!
5a0fd660c44847bb1f6b1309b6eba0bd_large.png

It's amazing!

We've reached 70k and thanks to you, the gamers of Hover will be able to move and leave graffitis on the rhythm of Hideki Naganuma's soundtrack, the original composer of Jet Set Radio! Thanks a lot!

Next step is New District + City Size x2!

In the presentation video we presented the popular district of Hover City. Its architecture is disordered, the inhabitants are poor and the sewers are overflowed. This district is partially inspired by the Total Recall Colony from 2012 and his crazy pursuit scene on the roofs.

If we reach the next stretch goal we'll be able to create a new district, this time it will be a rich and technological district. Buildings go up high in the sky, many air roads are scattered in the environment, and there is a very high security level. We'll be closer to Coruscant from Star Wars in terms of inspiration.

Each district will have its own atmosphere and architecture and this will have an impact on your gameplay. If in the first district, orientation is your main concern in the second one you'd better have great agility skills and perfectly master bounces.

Hover is not a simple running game. However speed and movements are at the core of the gameplay and that's why we'll add chronos and the possibility to record a ghost at any moment. We really want to see as much speedrun as possible!

I have like one friend who really liked the colony stuff in that Total Recall remake, and he loves Mirror's Edge (he's an architecture student and did a presentation on its level design), so this should be up his alley.

prag16

Banned
Nice, looks like it'll hit 100k unless things really dry up badly down the stretch. I'll throw in now. But will pull support last minute if it won't reach 100k.

Update 8: Secuboxes and Jail
Today we'll explain more about Secuboxes.
984eaaf5fdbd32dc814600ed2c109c34_large.png

Secuboxes are flying drones remotely controled by Hover's police force, its purpose is to identify console owners and track down the Gamers Resistance. During your game you might run into a patrolling secubox. If it detects you, it'll switch to alarm mode and you will have to run away. Secuboxes are very mobile and equipped with paralyzing grenades which they will not hesitate to use in order to capture you. They can also create holographic barriers to block your path.

Secuboxes are quick and aggressive but not always very clever, shake them off or trap them by running straight towards walls or cars.If they catch you you will be temporarily jailed in a glass prison visible from everyone in the city to serve as example. A countdown is engaged ! Escape before the end of the timer or you'll be transfered into a high security jail that will trigger a new escape mission.
3781624037e84100b3e5008435a30438_large.png

You'll have opportunities to play a Secubox yourself. Your mission at this moment will be to scan the citizens to identify those who have a console and to chase the gamers.

If they catch you you will be temporarily jailed in a glass prison visible from everyone in the city to serve as example.

A countdown is engaged ! Escape before the end of the timer or you'll be transfered into a high security jail that will trigger a new escape mission.

lol that's some David Blaine shit!

david-blaine-tower-bridge.JPG

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
$80k! New district funded!
It's really slowing down though, not sure if the Wii U version is going to make it..

$80k! New district funded!
It's really slowing down though, not sure if the Wii U version is going to make it..
That always happens. If the start of the campaign is anything to go by, the campaign will blow past the WiiU goal in the last week/days, if not sooner

I'd be surprised if the campaign didn't reach 100k

Update 9: Third stretch goal reached and more about Wii U!
City Size x2 reached, thanks a lot !
04bef18ee5e5e5362f9d34d429dd8af2_large.png

Because of you we'll have to work twice as much, we won't keep track of the forthcoming sleepless nights! At this pace we're gonna have to create a "Pizza and Coffee" stretch goal !

But more seriously, the dream to have a true futuristic megalopolis like in the best SF movies will come true ! Thanks again for your support !

As Wii U Players we are great fans of the Wii U and we are sad too notice the lack of attention given to this really great console. As developers we want to bring to the Wii U an ambitious game that will use the specifications of the gamepad and its possibilities of asymetric game mode.

Even if the WiiU is a console with a very decent performance, it's kind of pale in comparison to the technical ambitions that we have for Hover.

That's why we need to create a unique version for the console with specific optimization. The task is a lot harder because Hover is a huge, dense and dynamic openworld and we don't want to release a WiiU game that doesn't have a good local multiplayer mode.

It's a Nintendo console and we appreciate a lot the conviviality of the manufacturer about multiplayer games.

Elija2

Update #10 - New stretch goals !

Great News Today !

You've allowed us to reach almost all stretchgoals, and it's time to reveal some new ones !

The first is about really fun accessories which will bring new and really great sensations without changing the gameplay. Since we were kids we've always dreamed about having a Hoverboard. Few games have approached this subject and this is why we want to realize this dream. Hover's universe and playground is the perfect place for hoverboards, Marty McFly couldn't have hoped for anything better !

0f90898c6f8714f24821ddb5fc91ac10_large.png

Spiderman movies have also always been a reference that we've been keeping in mind when developping the gameplay or searching for sensations we want people to feel. We also have read many comments asking for a specific accessory : The Hook. So we have decided, in tribute to Spiderman, to offer you the magnetic hook which will allow you to jump from buildings to buildings in Hover City and feel the superhero's sensations !

37865836b026ad10a215e79670822765_large.png

The second goal is in response to the high demand from the community : character customization. We'll offer you the possibility to customize two characters' appearance, one female and one male, as well as the opportunity to create the Gamer of your choice.

Some interesting stretch goals, especially the hoverboard/swing-hook. I don't think they're gonna reach them though.

Update #10 - New stretch goals !

Some interesting stretch goals, especially the hoverboard/swing-hook. I don't think they're gonna reach them though.
Why not? They still have two weeks left, already at 83k, and in the first four days, the campaign made 37k. The end of campaigns always bring a big boost in funding, sometimes on par with the start. This is definitely going to reach the WiiU goal. I'd say the Hoverboard/Swing Hook is very likely as well

Yup, just add a new mechanic like it's nothing, damn! It would be hilarious if that swinging mechanic is better than the recent Spiderman games.

Yup, just add a new mechanic like it's nothing, damn! It would be hilarious if that swinging mechanic is better than the recent Spiderman games.

Speaking of, what came of the swinging game kickstarter started by the guy who designed the webslinging in the 2004 Spider Man 2 game?

Update 11: Scanner and Hoverboard/Swing-Hook
Today we'll mention something that we never talked about before : The Scanner.
Each gamer is equiped with a scanner that he can use whenever he wants to gather information and interact with the environment and the characters.

fQG0t7Yfe0kYx87Al22aADHNSyeE3w8eQK53RdqAYIF8zgBHB_lz3weyP_m8RhWM9fo1xfU9xRrCZWvZXi1KQPM2CcHv4-a4dtKHwcbK2v308uGvriD2kPHpQtcBsK4qbPNxYz5VurxaWGzJ8ZHDFLRDLK1MnsRAlIAI=s0-d-e1-ft

To do that, it is simple, you just have to look at the element that you are interested in to start scanning. By doing that you'll be able to translate the posters or video screens written in alien language, to start talking with other characters, accept missions, obtain informations about the city and items etc ...

mAyMLN9ZMlDwMOSg0aN3pFTw67wwnBu1iNr8cmApSkHmuFzTtiOgmje4I-d6LSGS643awzw4vCXN6egyIM-exIo0r-SBrlLjf8ImdZxhO0Sf60dhWF59nl-ln0SNqX0fI5aaq88zMdaHIz87H3ddxqWipQ1G3eVmb5ko=s0-d-e1-ft

We'll also bring you some informations about the Hoverboard and the Swing-Hook that we revealed yesterday.

NuoMWsXseegARn8hgb0dnFsDrFrIr2Jq7L7ZorGCZmNBmMS2YHTM3xtxWS5SFCcI7Dw-BwG8zwo_RD4n5idFtl3RDGFnHFdUHGkv5CWZRDGb5fIdkHhSKy6bg1KBiqJ76vfnxUYchXWfjrsiFXl6I24yeGoFUvtz04Gv=s0-d-e1-ft

They are facultative accessories that you'll unlock during your adventure. You'll be able to switch from one to another, they won't be mandatory in any way.

When you equip the bouncing suit that each gamer own, you will be able to move like we've shown in the presentation video, load jumps to throw you high in the air or bounce in order to not to lose height.

If you use the Hoverboard you'll gain in speed and you'll be able to use small obstacles like barriers or stairs as launching pad to raise you high in the air. However you won't be able to charge your jumps or leap, so it will be more technical to climb on buildings.

The Swing-Hook will offer you sensations like in Spiderman movies. It will be hard to use, it's an accessory for advanced players.It will allow you to swing and not take you to a fixed point. You will not be able to charge a jump or to leap with it.

Each accessories have their own pros and cons. We will pay a lot of attention to balance them to make sure that no accessory is better than an other and we'll take all your feedbacks in account during the alpha to improve them.

Lernaean

Banned
I just saw this one and i can say that old DC fan inside me is very interested.
Third person = superior mode confirmed.

prag16

Banned
Not a big fan of the art style/characters, but the gameplay certainly looks cool.

This.

I threw in $15 with plans to retract if Wii U goal was likely to fail. But now looks like it'll blow past 100k easily (probably some time on Friday). Nice.

Elija2

Those Secubox things look really annoying. It would be nice if they were only enabled for certain missions instead of all the time. Also it looks like you have to balance on rails. I'm not sure if I like that.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Local MP and Wii U version funded! And I just pledged $30! Gimme that alpha build now!

Top Bottom