• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hover: RoG | Mirror's Edge+Jet Set Radio; Naganuma onboard (PC/Consoles); Kickstarter

70%/26k, one fourth of the way to the Wii U goal!

That early momentum is still going strong and I don't think Kotaku and RPS have done articles about the campaign yet. If this keeps up, the game could easily be funded by tonight or tomorrow

Codeblue

I'm not saying that you have to blindly praise the campaign

The detractors I'm talking about are those who accused the devs of being lying scumbags (not saying you were, but regarding the thread in general) when 1) Naganuama is currently working with them and 2) they are working on Wii U and have legitimate reasons for a high stretch goal

I'm confused. Is the Naganuma stretch goal for an official release of the soundtrack or for him to produce the soundtrack?

Update 1: Local Multiplayer, Customization, Exclusive Characters
Thanks for you support ! In a day thanks to you Hover is already half way to the base goal. You're awesome !

We'll answer your questions and clarify things about the game at each update.

We've noticed that many of you were wondering about the Grind-E and Big Boss Edition rewards. Concerning the Mayor and Grind-E, they are non playable characters of the story, one of them being the Dictator of Hover City, the other belonging to the mysterious Breakers gang. Backers who've chosen these options will be able to play these characters from the beginning of the game! Some of you want to see these characters available to everyone. It's important for us to reassure you, similarly designed characters with the same stats will be present in the game. Of course, Grind-E and the Mayor will remain a kickstarter exclusivity and won't be given an advantage in their statistics compared to the many other characters of the story.

There were also questions about local multiplayer mode. We are nostalgic of the time when games were very much played in local multiplayer and without having to buy the same game several times it was possible to have fun with a lot of people. This is why it's important to make this possible for Hover. However it's a real technical challenge. For example for 2-player splitscreen, everything must be calculated twice, we then have to develop specific optimization technologies. Furthermore, Hover is a dense and dynamic open world, which is rare for local multiplayer mode and represent one more challenge for it.

We know people are always expecting more customization tools, this is why we're developing a mission editor. For example you'll be able to challenge your friends on your own races, change different objectives and this in real time whether you're in solo or multiplayer mode.

If by chance we reach higher stretch goals we would love to push customization even further, like develop a character editor, or even make it a modabble game !
Actually the campaign is well past halfway funded, is currently at 77%

I asked about the exclusive characters in the comments
"Backers who've chosen these options will be able to play these characters from the beginning of the game!"
So does this mean anyone would eventually be able to unlock these characters (like by beating the game, completing some difficult challenge, etc.)?
---
No, there are unlockable characters that look like these characters but are little different like for example a modified clone of the mayor or something like that for example but the Kickstarter exclusive characters will certainly remain exclusives

Regiruler

Looking at similar patterns, they should quite easily make all their stretch goals. If it gets in the realm of $100k, a new flood of people will come in to back it, including myself.

RPS did an article about the campaign
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/23/hover-revolt-of-gamers-kickstarter/
---
Update 2: Base goal nearly reached and alpha information
You were more than 1.000 amazing backers to support Hover, we are very close to the base goal and there are still 29 days remaining. For a small team like ours it's so wonderful to be supported by such an amazing community !

To make Hover a reality we need your help to spread the word on the net, if you love the project share it with all your friends,
https://twitter.com/Hover_the_Game
https://www.facebook.com/HoverRevoltOfGamers
Never forget that you are a huge part of this project !

Today we'll talk about the alpha release date.
As we already explained on the video, we created a basic movement system and a small part of the city. There is much work to do before the game is playable and the game isn't enough optimized to run on most computers at the moment. We also want to enlarge the city, and conceive the first missions in order to offer you a lot of fun and a worthy alpha. That's why we need some months to finish this. Currently we cannot garantee an exact release date, but we expect the alpha will be available between October and December 2014. Concerning the complete game, we are thinking about Spring 2015.

Yeah, that explains why they can't release the alpha right now even though it looks plenty polished because it's only optimised for their computers so far.

Drago

Already funded, wow!

Hope they make it to 80k when all is said and done. TBH I can see it even making it to 100k at this rate, but we'll see how things play out over the next month.

Update 3: Competitive Multiplayer!
It's just incredible!
e1f3c097ae3c4971e7faf8c335b13be3_large.jpg

We never thought it was possible for a small team like ours to reach our base goal in less than 3 days! You are the living proof that a project can become a reality with an amazing supporting community ! Let's continue together to make Hover a great game!

10700b2f62a3ba164a880767ea782879_large.png

We wanted to have a huge competitive aspect in Hover and we found it very fun to have it directly in the game background. For example we want to put the nicknames and avatars of each gamers from the latest tournaments inside city's screens and also we wanted to add holographic statues with winner's avatars. If you're tired to run you can also bet and watch races on the city screens.

b062c6c231184573425d7da95d5d0e2b_large.png

You can live all that in multiplayer and in solo and you can even remove the interface to have a full immersion !

Update 4: Characters!
Today we'll talk about the next stretch goal "More playable characters"

In the presentation video of "Hover : Revolt Of Gamers", we've shown you many different characters. By reaching the next stretch goal, each will be playable and we'll create new ones! The gamers will await you everywhere in the city, You can talk to them in the order that you want, each will give you many missions concerning their own personal story and the story of Hover City. When you'll complete all missions of one gamer, he will join your group and the resistance and you will then be able to play it!
5949bc444e6de0461c74c1800e8c4f5c_large.png

Gamers stats are balanced, no gamer is stronger than the others and each one have a unique skill tree. By customizing each gamer you'll obtain a complementary team that match your game style!

27 days to get to $80k (or $100k if you want a WiiU version)

Are we likely to get there you guys think? Looking good at the moment anyway

27 days to get to $80k (or $100k if you want a WiiU version)

Are we likely to get there you guys think? Looking good at the moment anyway
Put it this way. 27 days to make 56k. The campaign made 44k in four days.
It's slowed down now, but still making progress. I think it'll make it. At least during the last week/48 hour push, if not before that

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Put it this way. 27 days to make 56k. The campaign made 44k in four days.
It's slowed down now, but still making progress. I think it'll make it. At least during the last week/48 hour push, if not before that

Indeed, usually these things take a bit of a breather in the "middle period" of the campaigns, then get a lot of extra backers at the end.

I think $100k is do-able, if they continue with the updates like they have.

I backed this but only the $10 tier, mainly because I still haven't had any of the games I Kickstarted out yet, and I wanted to see that before I backed any more. Shadowgate is still the closest but they've been quiet lately, boo.

Indeed, usually these things take a bit of a breather in the "middle period" of the campaigns, then get a lot of extra backers at the end.

I think $100k is do-able, if they continue with the updates like they have.

I backed this but only the $10 tier, mainly because I still haven't had any of the games I Kickstarted out yet, and I wanted to see that before I backed any more. Shadowgate is still the closest but they've been quiet lately, boo.
Well a lot of Kickstarters have delivered this year or have release dates for this year

Octodad, Tabletop Simulator, Carmaggedon, Windforge, RimWorld, 7 Days To Die, Road Redemption, Contagion, Consortium, Our Darker Purpose, Catacomb Kids, Wasteland 2, The Banner Saga, and others are all out and playable, either full release, Steam early access, public or private alpha/betas

Distance, Tangiers, Chasm, Darkwood, Gods Will Be Watching, Dog Sled Saga, and more are all planned to release soon or sometime this year

Don't know if you backed any of those, but personally I haven't lost faith in Kickstarted projects yet.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well a lot of Kickstarters have delivered this year or have release dates for this year

Octodad, Tabletop Simulator, Carmaggedon, Windforge, RimWorld, 7 Days To Die, Road Redemption, Contagion, Consortium, Our Darker Purpose, Catacomb Kids, Wasteland 2, The Banner Saga, and others are all out and playable, either full release, Steam early access, public or private alpha/betas

Distance, Tangiers, Chasm, Darkwood, Gods Will Be Watching, Dog Sled Saga, and more are all planned to release soon or sometime this year

Don't know if you backed any of those, but personally I haven't lost faith in Kickstarted projects yet.
No, if I had, I wouldn't have made my post as I did.

Personally, I haven't had any of the projects I have backed come out yet. This does not mean I have a problem with Kickstarter, just that I want to hold off on backing too many projects before I start to see results from my personal backings, that's all.

In the case of Tabletop Simulator however, I bought on Steam when it went early access, so there's that.

Lucent

Jet Set Radio
Mirror's Edge
Wii U
HIDEKI NAGANUMA

Where do I put my credit card number?

Just PM me the details. =)

lol this looks nice. At least someone is trying to get that Jet Set Radio-esque feel. Kinda think it looks a little off, though. Like not exactly the kind of look I'd want. But definitely interested.

Would like a PS4 version, but I'll get it on whatever I can.

Caffeine

damn this would be sick on vita i guess ill have to suffice for a pc version but i cant donate atm I'll keep an eye out for it.

Regiruler

Don't forget shovel knight .

Update 5: First stretch goal reached!
00ad5e817519c14a7cba6e7a25583743_large.png

It's just incredible, we've just reached the first stretch goal, now there will be more awesome characters in Hover! With your help we'll be able to go further!
We created some avatars and pictures in different formats for our awesome backers, it will allow everyone to help us to make the world know about Hover : Revolt Of Gamers !
Now it's time to bring Hideki Naganuma on the soundtrack and the Graffiti Mode !
Thanks a lot everyone !

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm really glad the Graffiti + Naganuma mode is practically guaranteed at this point, with all the multi-player talk and so little on the single player I was considering canceling my pledge.

so1337

Tempted to back this just for the prospect of some sick Naganuma tunes.

Not particularly interested in the game itself (yet).

Update 6: Graffiti Mode and a little word from Hideki Naganuma
Thanks everyone !

We've nearly reached the second stretch goal! To celebrate the collaboration with the composer of "Jet Set Radio" we'll add a "Graffiti Mode" !

We'll use the Graffiti system on two different occasions. First, there will be a classic mode, it's a tribute to "Jet Set Radio" and you'll have to spray graffitis on some elements of the background during special anti-propaganda missions. We also want to create some "special graffiti tricks", when realizing a "graffiti trick" on the ground or during a wall slide you'll leave a graffiti on that surface and gain a speed or jump boost for you and the allies behind you when they'll step on it.

47d216e6697d8a27cb9b2fc955194093_large.png

A little word from Hideki Naganuma about Hover
"It was love at first sight. Hover has hot graphics and a cool worldview. At first glance, I felt like I’d love to make music for Hover. This feeling’s been a long time since Jet Set Radio Future." ~Hideki Naganuma
Less than 2k away from the next goal

Up to $65k now, I hope they have some stretch goals in mind for over $100k (not guaranteed they'll get there but it's looking pretty good?)

Top Bottom