• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hover: RoG | Mirror's Edge+Jet Set Radio; Naganuma onboard (PC/Consoles); Kickstarter

After watching the video,I am wrong it is the characters I don't like. The game itself looks amazing. How on Earth did a handful of people make this in four months?

Firehead

I really hope that they at least hit the Hideki Naganuma stretch goal.

I feel like you're being a bit harsh. What they did was wrong but I don't think they were being intentionally manipulative. They just want to ensure that they'll get enough money to finish the game, with or without Naganuma. I'd rather we get the game without a Naganuma soundtrack than no game at all.

I admit, I'm probably being way too up-in-arms about this. Mountain out of a molehill and all that.
I'm just a bit upset over the whole Hideki Naganuma and Wii U thing. These practices are a common trend amongst kickstarters, I know. Just annoying; wish they would stop.

Drago

This needs to make it to 60k at least. JSR and JSRF have amazing OSTs, getting Naganuma on board would be a massive gain. It needs to happen!!

Game itself looks amazing. Gonna throw $10 their way, may up the pledge later on as well.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Heh, I love the Wii U stretch goal. This trick never gets old.

Well, as a Wii U owner, I would love the game on it, but will accept a PC version any day of the week first.

Anyway, backed for $10, just to see what happens really.

PaulloDEC

Advertising the game with features that aren't locked in does seem a little skeevy, but not enough to stop me backing. They really ought to start correcting that anywhere they've stated it, though. The internet really doesn't like anything that might be perceived as scamming or dishonesty.

4d9a4e46c239d3a71ada9babf821a2a4_large.png

Save the Gamecubes? What about the Dreamcasts!

Backed.

4d9a4e46c239d3a71ada9babf821a2a4_large.png

Save the Gamecubes? What about the Dreamcasts!

Backed.
lol

Backed as well. Went for the Alpha tier. Actually that and Rain World are my two highest pledges ($25). The campaign's already at 16%, hopefully it'll keep up the momentum as the week starts and sites post articles. Would be cool if it could pull a HFA and get funded in a day or two

lol

Backed as well. Went for the Alpha tier. Actually that and Rain World are my two highest pledges ($25). The campaign's already at 16%, hopefully it'll keep up the momentum as the week starts and sites post articles. Would be cool if it could pull a HFA and get funded in a day or two

Yup, backed for the alpha although you must have taken my chance for the $25 one haha

Riki

I don't think it is fair to expect a developer to include Wii U/Vita etc at the base goal as each requires more time and resources for very small return as both as pretty much dead platforms.

It's also not fair for these developers to say "Yeah, we're totally making this for WiiU!" then at the last second bust out a "Oh, but only if you raise an extra $70K for us! Whoops!"
It's shady as hell. Sorry, but it is.
I wish them all the luck in the world at getting their goals. But I won't personally support this kind of stuff. Be upfront and honest, don't string people along.

Tagg9

Did they give a release estimate for this?

It's also not fair for these developers to say "Yeah, we're totally making this for WiiU!" then at the last second bust out a "Oh, but only if you raise an extra $70K for us! Whoops!"
It's shady as hell. Sorry, but it is.
I wish them all the luck in the world at getting their goals. But I won't personally support this kind of stuff. Be upfront and honest, don't string people along.

Did they previously say it was coming out on Wii U? This seems to be clearly stated on the Kickstarter page.

https://twitter.com/Hover_the_Game/status/448401694997905408
https://twitter.com/Hover_the_Game/statuses/446727019196608512

They've been saying it was coming to WiiU for a while now. This stretch goal is a last second surprise that just reeks.
The only other official word from the devs I could find was this other Tweet, in their response to Messofanego
Looks amazing! Are you hoping for PS4/XBox One/Wii U porting or have the platform holders already agreed?
---
@messofanego Yes we are already working on these platforms but i can't say anything more since we are under NDA :(

Now that I think about it, while the WiiU part was kind of misleading, I don't think the Naganuma stretch goal should be something to be upset about.

Being part of the team and agreeing to work with the devs is not the same as being paid to produce a soundtrack. I feel that stretch goal to pay for his services is perfectly reasonable and fair. The man's not going to work for free after all

Draconian

loooooooooool at that Wii U stretch goal. Are you kidding me? Why even talk about that version if it's going to be a stretch goal that costs almost 3 times as much as the base goal?

I'll donate if it gets close, but I'm not planning on getting a PS4 or XB1 anytime soon and think this is really disappointing.

EDIT: I am glad that if it hits the goal, they're going to build the game around the Wii U's unique features though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The game looks cool and ambitious, but is it just me or is there little emphasis for a single-player game here? I really hope I'm missing something but when words like non-linear missions and "dynamical scenarisation" are just being thrown out there while also putting a lot of emphasis on what both looks and sounds like a competitive multiplayer game, I have to wonder if this game is for me.

The game looks cool and ambitious, but is it just me or is there little emphasis for a single-player game here? I really hope I'm missing something but when words like non-linear missions and "dynamical scenarisation" are just being thrown out there while also putting a lot of emphasis on what both looks and sounds like a competitive multiplayer game, I have to wonder if this game is for me.

Had you tried out the Jet Set Radio games?

jholmes

I'll happily buy this game on Wii U if it releases there, but I'm not endorsing this sort of bait-and-switch Hail Mary longshot stretch goal nonsense by backing it on Kickstarter.

Definitely a degree of scumbaggery there. :(

Not quite a complete bait and switch, but along those lines. Stretch goal at almost 3x the base funding. Amazing.

It's not quite but reminiscent of "we would like to develop for the system but we have to figure out interesting ways to use the new controller".

It has that feel.

Riki

Perhaps at the time, it wasn't misleading. Those Tweets are almost a month old. Maybe they fully intended to develop for Wii U at the time, but later decided that a lower initial goal with Wii U as a stretch goal was better for the success of the campaign

A WiiU dev kit doesn't cost 70K.
And there's no way that developing the game for the WiiU costs 3 times what it costs to develop for four other platforms.
It's completely dishonest. Completely.

Definitely a degree of scumbaggery there. :(

Not quite a complete bait and switch, but along those lines. Stretch goal at almost 3x the base funding. Amazing.

I'll happily buy this game on Wii U if it releases there, but I'm not endorsing this sort of bait-and-switch Hail Mary longshot stretch goal nonsense by backing it on Kickstarter.

Heh, I love the Wii U stretch goal. This trick never gets old.
Asked in the Indie Dev thread about the cost of Wii development and why a stretch goal would be so high from a developer's perspective

So far have one answer, will update when/if more come
There's some guesstimating involved, but for example, for consoles, devkits aren't free either and run in the many thousands of dollars - each. If you're using something like Unity, different build platforms also cost thousands of dollars (since everyone on the team has to have a license too)
Three devs x three platforms x thousands of dollars each = perhaps 100K is reasonable?

Riki

Asked in the Indie Dev thread about their opinion about the cost of Wii development and why a stretch goal would be so high

So far have one answer, will update when/if more come

A WiiU dev kit costs about 3-5K.
Unity is 100% free on the WiiU.
The development cost for the WiiU is in no way equal to over 60K when the original goal is only 30K.
It's scummy. Sorry, but it is. There's no two ways about it.
It's just a way to get extra money out of "desperate" WiiU owners.

Elija2

Yeah, there does seem to be a big focus on multiplayer but I'm pretty sure there will still be a decent single player campaign. The game is all about skating around the open world anyway which can be done online or offline.

The development cost for the WiiU is in no way equal to over 60K when the original goal is only 30K.

To be fair, the price gap between the Wii U goal and the previous goal is only 20k.

Or they're playing the fence.

Knowing it won't be met and if people are upset, they can say "well, we tried to make it for the system".

prag16

Banned
Yep. I'll buy it on Wii U if it's released and is good, but won't support this on kickstarter. If it doesn't reach that goal, I'll pick it up eventually for $2 on steam or not at all. Oh well.

Someone in the KS comments bought up a good point about the Tweets regarding Hover for Wii U
I think you are interpreting "working on" as "developing for". They could just as easily be "working on" communication with Sony, MS, and Nintendo on bringing the game to their consoles.

Riki

Yeah, there does seem to be a big focus on multiplayer but I'm pretty sure there will still be a decent single player campaign. The game is all about skating around the open world anyway which can be done online or offline.

To be fair, the price gap between the Wii U goal and the previous goal is only 20k.

But why is the WiiU goal the highest when it should be the cheapest to develop for? It makes no sense. And no, "developing specifically for the gamepad" is not an excuse.

Someone in the KS comments bought up a good point about the Tweets regarding Hover for Wii U

Oh, so now we're redefining what they said. This always ends well.

Jazz-ism

Banned
not a big fan of the alien character designs shit but the overall art direction and design is awesome

keeping my eye on this....indie scene is really starting to become the beast of this generation

Silky

Banned
But why is the WiiU goal the highest when it should be the cheapest to develop for? It makes no sense. And no, "developing specifically for the gamepad" is not an excuse.

It may be the cheapest to develop for but it has the smallest install base compared to PC, PS4, Xbox One and hell even Linux. Is it worth wasting funds for a unique experience on the Wii-U (so they claim) when there's a chance that very few will purchase it compared to other platforms.

I'd expect it to be high. Though more than 3x high is shifty. I wouldn't call it anti-consumer either but hey YMMV. Though judging from the tweet there's obviously more to be said.

Back to the game, I really think they'll make it over their goal within the next week if they continue this pacing. I'm funding this for sure, just for that groovy Naganuma OST. <3

Top Bottom