• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hover: RoG | Mirror's Edge+Jet Set Radio; Naganuma onboard (PC/Consoles); Kickstarter

PaulloDEC

Game looks fantastic, I'm in. Dig the wild neon look, reminds me of Nerf: Arena Blast (which I loved as a kid, no idea if it was actually any good).

cacildo

The bad part of kickstarters: you get hyped for a game and then realise it will take forever to finally be released

The bad part of kickstarters: you get hyped for a game and then realise it will take forever to finally be released
I don't get that feeling. For a lot of these games, it's just the normal development cycle any game with a small team would have. Remember that Kickstarted/crowdfunded games still have to actually be made. It just seems longer because you're more closely following development through updates and you're invested in the game's progress. A lot of Kickstarted games are coming out or are already out this year. Distance, Carmaggedon, Octodad, Secrets of Raetikon, Gods Will Be Watching, Tabletop Simulator, Tangiers, Chasm, etc

Some new info from Twitter:

Estimated release period for alpha
It will depend of the funding the game will be more or less ambitious but we hope for between Dec 2014 and Feb 2015

Tier chart
$10/15 - Game
$25/30 - Alpha access
BlrQg9JCIAEpKy-.png

I notice the gamecube font for the text within the video and gamecube cameo in the infiltration mission concept art

stretch goal for a gamecube port confirmed?

Regiruler

I'd be down if he was very, very difficult to unlock otherwise and there was an additional benefit to the backer. I'm up for a challenge but I don't want people to have their reward to be lessened.
I don't get that feeling. For a lot of these games, it's just the normal development cycle any game with a small team would have. Remember that Kickstarted/crowdfunded games still have to actually be made. It just seems longer because you're more closely following development through updates and you're invested in the game's progress. A lot of Kickstarted games are coming out or are already out this year. Distance, Carmaggedon, Octodad, Secrets of Raetikon, Gods Will Be Watching, Tabletop Simulator, Tangiers, Chasm, etc
On the other hand you have games like shovel knight that were a fall release but end up being delayed constantly :/

EDIT: Do you think that maybe kickstarter should be in the title?

I'd be down if he was very, very difficult to unlock otherwise and there was an additional benefit to the backer. I'm up for a challenge but I don't want people to have their reward to be lessened.

On the other hand you have games like shovel knight that were a fall release but end up being delayed constantly :/

EDIT: Do you think that maybe kickstarter should be in the title?
Campaign hasn't started yet. I'll have a mod change the title when the Kickstarter is live

GooeyHeat

I first saw it as I clicked on something else and was like "JET SET RADIO"? Then I looked and it had a name and JSR was an influence and I thought "Oh, okay, I'll at least take a look."
Then I saw Hideki Naganuma and was just "YOOOOOOOOO JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

~Kinggi~

Banned
Nope

I'm maintaining the 2014 Kickstarter thread, so I tend to make a lot of threads for interesting campaigns. I think I've started like 9 or 10 in the last two months

Cool, thanks. This actually seems like one of the most impressive KS productions ive seen given how much they have to show and what they are offering. Im curious how much they will make.

Hideki Naganuma!

...as a $60k stretch goal.

Okay then.

(I mean, I don't really care that much, I actually never got to play JSR or JSRF, but a lot of people seem to be interested because of his involvement and it's worth noting that it's not guaranteed, if I'm reading the project page correctly.)

Firehead

Wii U version at 100k....

Hideki Naganuma!

...as a $60k stretch goal.

Okay then.

(I mean, I don't really care that much, I actually never got to play JSR or JSRF, but a lot of people seem to be interested because of his involvement and it's worth noting that it's not guaranteed, if I'm reading the project page correctly.)

Fucking really? Why the fuck even have the Wii U logo on the main site and a trailer stating that Hideki Naganuma is working with them? I forgot how scummy Kickstarter can be.

Ive backed it, my first Kickstarter, lets hope it goes well!

It looks like it plays pretty much how I want Sunset Overdrive too, plus I loved Mirrors Edge/Jet Set Radio so i'll give it a chance.

Dev response in comments:
We could have made the base goal at 100k with Hideki Naganuma and Wii U directly but we never thought we may be followed by so much amazing backers so we set the base goal low to ensure us to be able to create the game.

Firehead

Dev response in comments:

My response
@Midgar Studio So why even have them as tiers? I mean, you posted on IndieDB that, "Hideki Naganuma the great composer of Jet Set Radio and many other SEGA titles joined us for the soundtrack of "Hover : Revolt of Gamers" ! "
And in the kickstarter video you even state that he's agreed to work with you guys. Then you pull this? Does that not seem underhanded? Manipulative?
And then there's the whole Wii U thing. I mean, you had it up on your site that Wii U was one of the platforms you're releasing to. C'mon, guys. I love what you're presenting. But your methods? Disgusting.

M.Steiner

Backed, although I was under the impression he was already on-board from the get go too. Doubt they'll have a problem reaching that stretch goal tbh but even still, a little misleading.

We don't want to do a bad port of our game, the Wii U is an amazing console and it have specific devices like the gamepad that allow us to create something amazing for this console like asymetric gameplay and local multiplayer and that cost a lot more than simply port the game to other platforms.
Seriously, just mirror the gameplay on the gamepad and call it a life. Make any other special asymmetrical mode a stretch goal.

Elija2

I really hope that they at least hit the Hideki Naganuma stretch goal.

My response

I feel like you're being a bit harsh. What they did was wrong but I don't think they were being intentionally manipulative. They just want to ensure that they'll get enough money to finish the game, with or without Naganuma. I'd rather we get the game without a Naganuma soundtrack than no game at all.

Top Bottom