• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How awesome is Publix? So awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
I was talking to a Publix cashier last week who was kind enough to let me know they were accepting a competitors $5 off coupon. She said they are hurting from Walmarts aggressive campaign against them here in the south. I was thinking how awful it would be if they went under and alot of the things you would no longer be able to get.

In the deli number one of course is Publix chicken. hmmm publix chicken. The wings, the pieces, the tenders, all of it. Their sides especially the sweet coleslaw. I recently tried their hummus and it was so good, better than the Sabra ive been buying. Their subs on their bread is so good. Do yourself a favor and get a roast beef with peppers and onions and ask them to put it in their sandwich/panini press and thank me later.

Their bakery that i have to avoid the pastries and cookies or hate myself in the morning. Awesome bread and now they have pretzel buns. Those rasberry filled donut nuggets. Their rye bread for reubens is so good.

Their Publix brand stuff is top notch. Most store brands are awful but I have yet to run into a bad publix brand awesome. In fact their brand is better sometimes. Publix brand ice cream and frozen yogurt is unbelievable the quality and flavors. Especially during the holidays, Apple Pie ice cream, Pumpkin Pie ice cream with the little pieces of pie crust in it. Chocolate trinity, you just do not know till you try chocolate trinity.

So yea fuck walmart if they put Publix out of business. They even treat their employees better and pay more. I literally feel sad northerners will never know the greatness of Publix. Feel free to post how great your regional stores are but just realize your Trader Joes and Piggly Wigglys have nothing on Publix.

CrankyJay

Banned
Publix is kind of shitty when stacked up against a Wegmans or a Whole Foods, but they do have some bomb ass subs.

definitely higher tier than winn-dixie

lower tier than whole foods.

target is on the tier between winn-dixie and publix.

tier.

malyce

tier.

NpStLHe.png

Ponn

Banned

tier.

I actually have a Whole Foods nearby. They are just as friendly as Publix but i gotta say they are overrated for their prices and their food bar.

PhiLonius

They make awesome subs and their banana pudding is great as well.

I think they also recently started serving Chinese food.

Althane

Chicken tenders, all day erry day.

Publix near me stopped carrying the lemonade I liked. Otherwise, kick ass store.

Zabuza

Banned
I fucking hate Walmart. I saw they've been opening mini Walmart convenience stores lately. Straight up going for the jugular of similar establishments.

D-Pad

Awesome bread and now they have pretzel buns..

Yes! Just brought some last week and made some burgers with them.

B1OmRr4IIAAX_ht.jpg:large

The day before I stopped at Walmart thinking they would have some and left diappointed. Unfortunately everything else cost me a pretty penny, and I felt I would have gotten a better value elsewhere. But for bread, yeah Publix is tops around here.

Holy_Chic

Banned
I worked at publix for 3 years. It's not awesome. At all. They pay their employees shit and treat them much worse, despite making billions.

andycapps

Yes, their subs are the best. I really wish we had Publix in Ohio.

My first job was as a cashier at Publix. Was decent enough for what it was. Had some good times there.

I love Publix. The employees are always super helpful and nice. Their deli and bakery is fantastic. I do usually use Wal-Mart to buy things like soup and canned goods because they're usually cheaper, but I buy my meat, vegetables, and fruits from Publix.

Publix is the best grocery chain in the South, hands down. I think it is unfair to compare it to chains like Whole Foods though, as they service different market segments.
I don't care if Wal-Mart is cheaper, either. Seriously, fuck Wal-Mart.

Publix is the best grocery chain in the South, hands down. I think it is unfair to compare it to chains like Whole Foods though, as they service different market segments.
It is indeed. WAY better than Kroger.

Although info admit that I only go to Public for their deli/bakery etc and their BOGO deals. It's a little expensive otherwise.

ISOM

I don't know why publix doesn't enter the northern market like New York. It's not like Walmart is really even here really.

I miss Publix. With coupons and BOGO's you'd never starve. Safeway/Tom Thumb are okay, but just not the same now that I'm out west.

I love their Bakery mountain bread, the sweet tea they sell by the 1/2 gallon, and my absolute favorite thing was a 1/2 pound of sweet ham and a 1/2 pound of land o' lakes white american from the deli. I would roll the two up and eat it with cherry tomatoes. I have never found sweet ham outside of Publix.

Their store brand is a million times better than any other competitors store brand. I hate Walmart in comparison. If time is money, Publix wins hands down over Walmart. You've got to plan an hour trip to Walmart just to pick up one thing. I hate them.

I used to go to a publix near downtown miami whose deli almost always had a newly-arrived immigrant with a loosest grasp of the English language handling their sandwich making. This basically meant that almost every sandwich that they made was made with either too many ingredients, not enough ingredients, or just straight up wrong ingredients. It really soured me on the whole publix sandwich experience. Damn that downtown publix, ruining a good thing for everyone.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When the power went out in our city because of a bunch of tornados, Public let people charge their phones and shit over there. they were up and running via generator the day of the outtage, ands Wal-Mart didn't get up until a week later.

Made Wal-Mart look a fool.

Quazar

I worked at publix for 3 years. It's not awesome. At all. They pay their employees shit and treat them much worse, despite making billions.

You must of been at a shitty publix. Their benefits and pay are actually pretty damn amazing. I'm assuming you were part time. Besides stealing and having sex, you never have to worry. Couldn't disagree more.

Man, I loved Publix when I lived in the South. I hope it's still around when I come back.

They're expanding. They have them in Nashville and North Carolina now. Though from what I understand, they use different bread than they do in Florida for the subs and it's not as good.

Rich!

I live in the UK

We have Subway. Thats it. I hate fast food threads on GAF, too many jealous feelings when I read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom