• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Bad Is Your Souls Withdrawal?

Z..

Nonexistant. My fav current "series" by far and I still haven't even touched BB or DS3, both of which I own. I like my games spaced far apart so I'll just play BB whenever I get the crave and that's it. DeS was the only one I actually played when it came out. DS and DS2 were both games I played quite a bit after release because it simply felt like it was way too soon for a sequel when they did come out. If I had it my way no game could ever get a sequel unless at least 4 years had passed since the last entry when the next one releases.

I don't really "get hyped" about anything, to be fair.

I've really enjoyed my time away from Souls. Got really burned out during Dark Souls III and my nth playthrough of Bloodborne last year. It is about time to see something new from FROM, but I'm glad I didn't buy any of the Dark Souls III DLC.

eot

Banned
Not bad,

I played each successive game less and less. Didn't even finish DS3 (I'm right near the end but still). Hope they don't make more Dark Souls games, maybe a Bloodborne 2 would be okay but only if they really take their time so it doesn't feel like they cut corners.

Nonexistant. My fav current "series" by far and I still haven't even touched BB or DS3, both of which I own. I like my games spaced far apart so I'll just play BB whenever I get the crave and that's it. DeS was the only one I actually played when it came out. DS and DS2 were both games I played quite a bit after release because it simply felt like it was way too soon for a sequel when they did come out. If I had it my way no game could ever get a sequel unless at least 4 years had passed since the last entry when the next one releases.

I don't really "get hyped" about anything, to be fair.

Yeah they released too many too quickly. I even said that before DS2 lol

Pygrus

I'm ready for the Miyazaki directed Berserk game. Trust me guys, it's happening, my uncle works for From Software.

kc44135

Not to me. After playing Darksouls 3, bloodborne felt like a chunk of game missing from DS3 with some gameplay tweaks.

Wow, OK. That's certainly an unusual opinion. You do at least realize that DS3 is the derivative game in this case, yes? It came out a year after Bloodhound, and clearly borrowed a lot from it (although the two are still very different).

TheExodu5

Banned
Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of all time, and I have yet to play through DS2/3. Haven't quite finished Bloodborne.

Don't think I'll have withdrawal for quite a while. There's a lot of content left to play for myself. It's rare I have 40+ hours to devote for a game so I'm saving them for a rainy day.

Gator86

It’s been a year and half since Dark Souls 3 dropped.
We haven’t had new content since March.
No sequels in sight.
No new remasters to mitigate the misery.
How are you handling it?

For me, it’s been rough.

The combat in BotW felt so floaty, I thought like I was playing Rocket League. (And you call that a parry? Gwyn eats Flurry Rushes for breakfast.)

Nioh was cool. Until it had 3 types of enemies and multiple scenes in a bath house. Miyazaki don’t fuck wit no bath house.

Then there’s Shadow of Wardor. I don’t even know where to begin when It comes to the Combat after playing 5 Souls games at launch, creating well over 20 characters, and enjoying countless hours of peerless PVP. I. Just. Can’t. And it hurts my hands.

So I’m gonna go back to Dragon’s Dogma and try that for a stretch. Let It Die held off the shakes and sweats for a while, but there’s only so many times I can run the same bland hallways looking for a Veneer Plank.

I once had a girlfriend say to me that the difference between us (and another reason she was better than me) was that I played games just to play something, often buying AAA titles indiscriminately without any real hope of greatness, whereas she only played great games.

I think Souls and Miyazaki have ruined mediocre gaming for me.

Now give us that Dark Souls 4K Remaster (with UHD textures—Xbox One X exclusive :p) ...

WH1

It had been a while since I read some truly eye-roll inducing shit from a Souls fan. Thanks for bringing balance back to the universe.

And no, not missing Souls at all. DS3 made it feel pretty clear that their were running on fumes. I'd play a new Bloodborne, but I'm fine with the Souls franchise being in the ground.

Roshin

It's pretty rough. I can only replay the games so many times. Nothing going on with Bloodborne is probably the worst. We got one game and that was it.

Just play games that are like Dark Souls. There seems to be plenty of them.

Nothing comes close.

For me, its the atmosphere and mood of soulsborne games that is really unlike anything else in videogames , so I definitely miss this.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I think OP should play some Jedi Academy multiplayer matches on M+KB with single saber and no force powers to see what a really good combat is :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's really bad. I want to go back and replay them, because I miss them. I'm hoping Monster Hunter World will take that craving away, but I'm impatiently awaiting news of From Software's next projects.

For a while I had Salt and Sanctuary, and Nioh, which both satisfied the craving well enough, but I've played those inside and out too and now I'm craving something new to fill the gap.

The Surge didn't cut it. I played Lords of the Fallen and finished it because I literally had nothing else to play on the PS4 at the time (pre-Bloodborne), but I can't even finish The Surge. I played it quite a bit, but I got bored and have no desire to return to it. The environments, weapons, enemies are just all so. damn. drab, and the novelty of limb-cutting wore off long ago. Its core combat mechanics are OK but they are not polished and fun enough to sustain it.

I'm eagerly waiting for Death's Gambit and Eitr, but I still want a new From Software RPG, dammit.

You missed The Surge?
The Surge is boring.

Is that a good one or is it like lords of the fallen?
The latter.

Just play games that are like Dark Souls. There seems to be plenty of them.
False.

DPB

I'm not in any hurry to play another, though I'd still jump at the chance to play a port of Demon's Souls.

It was still very good, but I didn't enjoy 3 as much DS, DS 2 and Bloodborne. I didn't like that many enemies seemed to be as fast and aggressive as they were in Bloodborne, but your character still lacked mobility. That, and I found the DLC a real slog.

Raven117

The series was getting long in the tooth for me personally. (And its my favorite franshise of all time).

By the end of DS3, I was ready for it to be over...Quite frankly, I enjoyed Nioh much more than DS3...just due to the fatigue.

czk51

Recently finished BB TOH, and up to the final encounter in DS3, which I'm actually savoring for later. I don't think I'll be purchasing any more DLC but it's nice to know the last boss is awaiting next time I get a real hankering for some Souls.

Nioh was great but sold it a while ago.

I didn't end up playing Dark Souls III til I got my ps4 earlier this year. And I've still got part of Ashes of Ariandel and all of The Ringed City to finish, so I'm good for a while :)

Voidwolf

Started an Ornstein and Smough run with the dried finger on at all times with my friend a few nights ago on PC. Been having a blast, a third buddy joined us as Artorias. Lots of salty invaders :D

bobawesome

What withdrawal? I'll play a Soul game. I'll enjoy it. But my gaming habits don't revolve around them. I don't stay up late at night pondering the intricacies of the lore and setting. Maybe I'm just Dark Souls-ed out right now.

I didn't like Nioh at all so it's getting pretty bad. Hope they announce a new Soulsy IP soon, or even BB2. I'd take a DeS remaster as well.

Capra

Well I replayed Bloodborne a month ago, then finally played Demon's Souls, then replayed Dark Souls and now I'm looking to start DS2 within the next week.

So pretty good.

What withdrawal? I'll play a Soul game. I'll enjoy it. But my gaming habits don't revolve around them. I don't stay up late at night pondering the intricacies of the lore and setting. Maybe I'm just Dark Souls-ed out right now.
You're missing out tbh
Already wrote 3 essays and a book

ElFly

I will survive

was getting tired of the formula by DS3's time. The first DLC soured me a ton on it too. Ringed City was better, but I had to force myself to finish it

they can take their time

Ossom

I'm fine, although I am playing through Nioh at the moment.

Tempted to play DS again, but there are just too many games about at the moment and my time is becoming more limited.

Arjen

Absolutly loved all the games, 100% all 4 games. But my fatique set in at the last DLC. Cant put my finger on it, but I was done with the game all of a sudden, never bothered to finish the DLC. It was a great ride while it lasted but it is time for something new.

kikiribu

Since I finished Bloodborne, I'm having a hard time getting into other games because it was too good. It is leagues ahead of every other game for me this gen.

I did finish Nioh. Enjoyed it.

Jumped back into The Witcher 3 after giving up on it awhile ago and I'm trying to ignore the shitty combat because the world and story seem worthwhile. Seems easy though, and I'm playing on Broken Bones whatever it's called. Probably gonna bump up to hardest this week.

I don't want to see another Souls. They should do Bloodborne 2 or a new sci-fi IP that plays similarly.

Shifty

Withdrawal level 0/10

I enjoyed Souls 1, 3 and Bloodborne, but am now burned out on the formula. Couldn't even finish Nioh, though I hear that one has its own pacing problems.

Also I'm now totally done with WRPG / Souls-style percentage leveling. Ended up skipping out on Absolver because of that.

Zyrox

Eh don't need another Souls atm. I consider DS3 the best in the series and if I get an itch I'll just do a little PvP in that. I am interested in whatever From does next though (also cautiously following Code Vein).

Jesus, they're other games out there besides Souls games.

I can't even grasp this idea of Souls "withdrawl". I thought there was too much when Bloodborne came out. Now that DS3 + dlc,Nioh, The Surge, and Absolver are out, how the heck is withdrawl even possible?

pablito

Jesus, they're other games out there besides Souls games.

I can't even grasp this idea of Souls "withdrawl". I thought there was too much when Bloodborne came out. Now that DS3 + dlc,Nioh, The Surge, and Absolver are out, how the heck is withdrawl even possible?

Some people aren't counting the others. Why, I don't know.

OVDRobo

I love Souls titles but they did what they needed to do. 3 was really well-made but it felt like a greatest hits title in a few ways.

I wish I could get my fix from some of the imitators that have released but even Nioh did nothing for me.

Still, if Souls has to go away for a while for me to get another Armored Core, I'm more than willing to pay that price. People might finally try and realise what they've been missing out on with that series in a post-souls world.

Wink

Pretty bad. I usually play these games until I have the platinum with months of breaks in between so I'm far from burned out. I only played about half of Dark Souls 1 so I would very much welcome a remaster of that.

I really enjoyed Nioh despite its repetition, but it's not the same kind of awe inspiring experience.
A Bloodborne 2 announcement would rekindle the excitement I felt for Persona 5 and that was a far longer wait, so yeah... gimme something From, I really need it in my veins.

Withdrawal level 0/10

I enjoyed Souls 1, 3 and Bloodborne, but am now burned out on the formula. Couldn't even finish Nioh, though I hear that one has its own pacing problems.

Also I'm now totally done with WRPG / Souls-style percentage leveling. Ended up skipping out on Absolver because of that.

dude

DS2 and THE SURGE :)

Top Bottom